Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Another Pointless game from lucas arts
Please just make battlefront 3 ............PLEASE!
nice reviewe tho

That's a shame, I really did like the first and second lego star wars game, guess they dropped the ball on this one. Considering this is definitely one aimed at the kids, making it too hard and frustating is a massive flaw.

Is it wrong that I died laughing from the Star Wars version of Women can't park a car ... or rather ... Alien Women Jedi can't park a spacecraft? :p

I enjoyed the game, although on the difficulty side of things, it's hard if you attempt to play with a non-jedi character, as ranged attack will destroy them with ease, not so much for Jedi characters. On the RTS side of things, I found it to be an annoyance to use the commander clone to issue orders to your buddies, they tend to get wiped out easily >.>

And there are moments where it doesn't give you any clue of what to do > . >, like one of the earlier boss battles involving a tank, and a certain refinery. And if it wasn't for the IGN review, I would never have figured out about driving into the purple light to acquire torpedoes when i'm driving one of the speedbike ... doesn't work with the mini-walkers. :s

I've always tried to give Lego games a chance, but they're less fun than playing with Legos or playing other games.

cainx10a:
Is it wrong that I died laughing from the Star Wars version of Women can't park a car ... or rather ... Alien Women Jedi can't park a spacecraft? :p

I enjoyed the game, although on the difficulty side of things, it's hard if you attempt to play with a non-jedi character, as ranged attack are almost useless against them. On the RTS side of things, I found it to be an annoyance to use the commander clone to issue orders to your buddies, they tend to get wiped out easily >.>

And there are moments where it doesn't give you any clue of what to do > . >, like one of the earlier boss battles involving a tank, and a certain refinery. And if it wasn't for the IGN review, I would never have figured out about driving into the purple light to acquire torpedoes when i'm driving one of the speedbike ... doesn't work with the mini-walkers. :s

All absolutely true. You're frequently left with no clue what you're meant to be doing, and you haven't got a prayer of doing any damage unless you're using a Jedi. Commander clones are only useful if the Clone troops happen to already be near the thing you want them to attack; otherwise, getting them to follow you around is an exercise in futility.

Can't say I've ever understood the appeal in the LEGO games.

And they all give me the sort of headache you get when trying to read in the car, for some reason.

xchurchx:

yes...

and republic commandos 2

oh pity :[ I loved the Lego Star Wars games before this one
maybe this one might be bearable with a friend? (unless it's anything like Republic Heroes...holy crap that game was frustrating)

Woodsey:
Can't say I've ever understood the appeal in the LEGO games.

And they all give me the sort of headache you get when trying to read in the car, for some reason.

I get exactly what you mean, you have to focus too hard to see what is going on in the scene whist wrestling the camera. Its the same strain on your eyes/ brainsn as trying to focus on a slightly shaking book whist traveling at speed. Also see; 3DS.

Susan Arendt:

cainx10a:

I enjoyed the game, although on the difficulty side of things, it's hard if you attempt to play with a non-jedi character, as ranged attack are almost useless against them. On the RTS side of things, I found it to be an annoyance to use the commander clone to issue orders to your buddies, they tend to get wiped out easily >.>

All absolutely true. You're frequently left with no clue what you're meant to be doing, and you haven't got a prayer of doing any damage unless you're using a Jedi. Commander clones are only useful if the Clone troops happen to already be near the thing you want them to attack; otherwise, getting them to follow you around is an exercise in futility.

Ah, I believe I didn't word out that sentence correctly, I meant to say that ranged attackers have no problem taking out my non-jedi heroes since they don't have any mean to defend against those attacks while the Jedis can block any ranged attacks by just spamming the attack key.

They've been dropping the ball on a lot of the games they make lately. After the gem that was LEGO Star Wars, they stopped having online multiplayer for a while. LEGO Indy 2 had a really cool interface in the overworld, but at the cost of each individual story level being ridiculously short (in some cases, one room).

Apparently, they've taken a new turn towards crap by imitating not only the Clone Wars name, but the terrible pedigree it has in video games. Clone Wars: Republic Heroes was also a promising mess.

Oh well... I just hope they don't screw up the last three Harry Potter books.

Susan Arendt:
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars Review

The Force is not with this one.

Read Full Article

Refreshingly honest review. I was afraid this would be the case.

What is it that we expect from the franchise at this point? It's been a rinse-repeat cash grab for so long that this effect is starting to trickle into everything else. Have you noticed that "LEGO Star Wars" has sort of become its own franchise at this point?

LucasArts got sick of milking the zombified cash cow of the movies, and LEGO Star Wars afforded them the chance to clone a younger version of that cow to start again. And now it has matured to milking age, and it's the same routine all over again. And they'll just keep milking this one until it's time to grind it into hamburger.

To hear that a LEGO Star Wars game is officially [b]not fun[/i], though? Seriously, they've milked it more than I've milked that goddamn cow metaphor.

My little brother will still get it.
Maybe we'll have a better time playing co-op.

HankMan:
My little brother will still get it.
Maybe we'll have a better time playing co-op.

My son (he's 6) and I have an absolute blast playing co-op on this. I've seen the bad reviews, but I don't really get it. The game is pretty fun.

This one be good, i was hoping. /yoda.
Can't lucasarts remake SW:knights of the old republic(for 3ds!).

Well Lucasarts.....just make Battlefront 3 already. Jesus damn already, I need that sequel

I had a problem with Lego Star Wars III until after I finished the story mode.

A lot of the more annoying boss fights where you're switching between characters endlessly are completely bypassed. It also helps when you get access to some of the better player classes, as the standard blaster character is almost completely useless in the game.

Some of your problems might have to do with it being the Xbox version - guy on RPS didn't have nearly as many control problems as you with the PC version, although he did point out the terrible camera.

This isn't a game I would ever get anyway, but it's kind of fascinating to read this thumbs-down review and RPS' thumbs-up one and try to figure out what each reviewer is looking for to really have fun in a game.

Brainst0rm:
Some of your problems might have to do with it being the Xbox version - guy on RPS didn't have nearly as many control problems as you with the PC version, although he did point out the terrible camera.

This isn't a game I would ever get anyway, but it's kind of fascinating to read this thumbs-down review and RPS' thumbs-up one and try to figure out what each reviewer is looking for to really have fun in a game.

I was about to make a similar comment. I wonder what the difference is between them? Although the RPS reviewer definitely seems to be a bigger fan of the Lego games in general.

duchaked:

xchurchx:

yes...

and republic commandos 2

I second that motion!

"this game will make your dog cry" awesome material susan!

JoJoDeathunter:
That's a shame, I really did like the first and second lego star wars game, guess they dropped the ball on this one. Considering this is definitely one aimed at the kids, making it too hard and frustating is a massive flaw.

If you like the first two you should definitely like this one. The levels are better designed and there are hundreds of characters on screen during big battles. Watch some footage online. Lego Indiana Jones 2 was bad. Clone Wars was refreshing.

Bubblegum! Not ice cream! BUBBLEGUM! RAWRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Anyway, so your saying the clone wars version is pretty much like the movies. Ignores all the good things of the previous titles, and fills it with confusing overbearing shiny crud that nobody ends up enjoying?

Love it on the 3DS.

ALL if the of the lego games have been frustrating for me because:
1. Missing the point of the puzzle
2. Missing one blue stud to be a true Jedi
3. Getting whacked over the head by my partner with a lightsaber

Did it make any less fun. Sure did!
Did I rage quit? sure did!
When I look back to playing lego games, do I remember having a great time? Sure do!

Will I be play this one? Sure will!

is there still customisation off charaters?
I always loved creating a rondom boba wokie jedi :P

xchurchx:
is there still customisation off charaters?
I always loved creating a rondom boba wokie jedi :P

This one lets you save over a dozen character creations, instead of the usual two.

Brainst0rm:

There's something off about it. The LEGO series doesn't take a lot of chances with its core gameplay, but they're constantly trying out new variations... and sometimes it doesn't work super well.

The boss fights are both less complicated and more complicated. They tell you exactly what you need to do, but it comes across as more fiddlely. And certain droids have gotten upgrades which mean that unless you're playing as a Jedi or a rocket carrying clone trooper, you're just going to get killed over and over. The nature of the story also gets more repetitive than previous games. Instead of having one big General Grievous fight level, you're chasing the guy through several levels... with lots of mini-boss fights before you *finally* take him down.

I wasn't enjoying myself very much during story mode, but once I got the hang of the confusing hub system and got into Free Play, I started having a whole lot of fun. Most of the annoying boss fights are skipped in Free Play and there's lots of little nooks and crannies to explore... once you get the characters types to do so. The longer you play, the more LEGO it gets... but half-way through the campaign, my reaction to the game was almost exactly like this review. Just too much swapping between characters and doing the same thing over and over. And there are far too many spots where baddies endlessly respawn. In earlier games, this only happened in a handful of areas (and usually because you needed an enemy to proceed). Here, virtually every level does it and it's annoying as hell.

And there's one spot where the in-game tutorial failed me, because there's no obvious path through the episodes. In one of them, they explain how you can pick up a Super Battle Droid and use it to destroy certain obstacles... only I played that episode last, so the first time I had to do it, there was no instructions. I had to go on-line to find the answer.

like lego
like star wars
don't like the clone war cartoons
give this one a miss then

(now lego POTC, that's the one I'm looking forward too!)

I played this on my friend's Wii and I cant believe how beautiful the 360 and PS3 versions are while watching this.

And it seems like the Wii version is even harder. We spent 30 minutes in the arena figuring out how to take out Fett. Turns out we have to throw our lightsabers at him. Ok dosen't sound so hard but you have to throw it manually with the Wii's wonky controls.

I was never so pissed like that in months.

Prince Poetic:
Love it on the 3DS.

Actually, me too.

lumenadducere:

Brainst0rm:

I was about to make a similar comment. I wonder what the difference is between them? Although the RPS reviewer definitely seems to be a bigger fan of the Lego games in general.

I adore the Lego games. Hell, I even finished Lego Indiana Jones, despite the fact that it was a buggy mess and had some genuinely lame secondary characters. The Lego Star Wars games are my favorites in the series, so I fully expected to love this, too. You have no idea how disappointed I was to not just not love it, but actually hate it.

Still going to buy it some day. I have seen reviews saying it is good and bad, but the best thing is the quick look on Giant Bomb. Nothing beats seeing how the game actually plays for half an hour. Couple that with two to four wise-cracking dudes who often have trouble doing the simplest thing in-game due to talking at the same time... you usually get to see enough to decide whether you would like the game or not. And from what I have read and seen, it seems like I will love it. But I'll wait a while due to money being what it is.

I lol so hard at the Lego Star Wars will make your dog cry bit...golden.

So good, I know not to get this one, that is good.

Are you a wizard Susan, both of my dogs started barking when you talked about your dog. O_o

Also: DAMNIT MAKE KOTOR3 AND/OR STAR WARS COMMANDO 2

If you think the camera is buggy on single player...man...playin it on multiplayer was like pullin teeth. Maybe there was somethin I was missin, but we could not figure out for the life of me how to actually get the blasted thin to actually work in the RTS missions. Im in a cannon, tryin to take out another cannon. I got my sights lined up, bout to fire and....my girlfriend happens to move two steps, my camera explodes sideways and I'm targettin the ground at my feet.

It was really weird for me because we had just got done playin Lego Harry Potter for the first time not too long before that. The camera was still weird, but we were able to target each others "screens" if we were still close enough to actually hit what we wanted. To suddenly go from that to the Star Wars 3 system of bein only able to target the side of the screen you're on and havin the added annoyance that the side of the screen you're on constantly spinnin like a bloody top was enough to make us just give up in disgust.

Honestly this was the first Lego game that I've played where I actually had more success playin solo than with a partner and given how much more difficult it is to play solo instead of co-op...thats sayin somethin.

xchurchx:
Another Pointless game from lucas arts

No...because that would actually require Lucasarts to put effort into something.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here