Escape to the Movies: Your Highness

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

This is the one part. And I do mean THE ONE AND ONLY PART, where Jack Black would actually fit and not stick out like a sore thumb like in every other movie he made...

And they did not cast him. I am dissapoint

Bob, please review Press Start 2 Continue, it's out on DVD.

orangeapples:
Hercules throwing a bear into space?

Honestly it looks like a camera crew is just following Lou Ferrigno in his spare time.

DearFilm:
I cannot for the life of me understand why Bob would spend his time tripping over a semi-recommendation for Your Highness when he could have spent it talking about the intense piece of awesome that is Hanna.

Hanna or not, I've gotta agree with this. Given that every movie he mentions other than Your Highness seems to both have more discussion value to it and be a better movie than Your Highness, it seems odd he chose to spend his weekly video on a "meh" recommendation. Personally, I would have loved to hear Bob's full take on Super instead of just a two second long "damn it's good, go see it."

Seems to me that Bob is recommending this either as a rental, or something to see if your significant other really wants to. Enjoyable, but utterly vapid and predictable.

As for your stingers though, yeah Thor better not suck. I'm nearly powerless to resist anything with Norse or Greek mythos in them.

Aw I was hoping for a review of Arthur, I REALLY hope that bombs, can't imagine hollywood screwing over one of my all time favorite movies with another dumb remake, oh well, I'm off to the video store to get Hercules!

DearFilm:
I cannot for the life of me understand why Bob would spend his time tripping over a semi-recommendation for Your Highness when he could have spent it talking about the intense piece of awesome that is Hanna.

I was thinking the same thing. As he's said before, and re-iterated in this episode, there's not much he can say about comedies. I could have gotten a plot synopsis from the trailers and his recommendation in the first bit where he goes through new releases. While I did enjoy the episode (admittedly mostly for the Hercules parts) I would have rather seen him review Hanna or Super.

I thought maybe this was requested by his producer but isn't that Susan Arendt? And she just said she was planning skip this . . . that doesn't necessarily preclude her from asking Bob to do an episode on this movie but there were plenty of other quality movies and nerd fare out this week.

StriderShinryu:

DearFilm:

Hanna or not, I've gotta agree with this. Given that every movie he mentions other than Your Highness seems to both have more discussion value to it and be a better movie than Your Highness, it seems odd he chose to spend his weekly video on a "meh" recommendation. Personally, I would have loved to hear Bob's full take on Super instead of just a two second long "damn it's good, go see it."

It's probably because of all those movies, this is likely to be the most popular. Most of the time that's what he does, review the biggest stuff, with the occasional 'Imma gonna review this one because, damnit, it's what I want to see' thrown in.

Did they superimpose bigger panties onto Portman for the trailer or something? Coz the trailer Moviebob used looks different from the UK one (which had the steel thong).

Poor Americans. I take it that was the best bit of the movie too.

jumjalalabash:

orangeapples:
Hercules throwing a bear into space?

Honestly it looks like a camera crew is just following Lou Ferrigno in his spare time.

Wonder how it measures up to Swartzeneggar's classic Hercules in New York. He fights a "bear" in that too.

You know...of those movies you recommended, one is about a girl using herself as bait, one has the girl from Hard Candy, and one has the guy from Hard Candy. Strange.

They all look good though.

Natalie Portman in an Armored thong? It could punch me in the stomach a hundred times that alone would be worth going to the movies. D&D with stoners, Natalie Portman in fantasy armor, and leather.

Going to movies.

So Bob gives high recommendations for a couple of seconds before talking about what looks to be a completely mediocre movie. One that has been advertised all over the place. The films mentioned at the start, however, I've never heard of before. Wouldn't it be better to use the time here to showcase some films people might not have heard of? Especially if they were better than the most advertised film out right now.

I'm not going to lie. Hercules actually looks amazing. It strikes me as the kind of thing that resulted from directors, writers and producers deciding that when they wanted to implement something in their movie, logic be damned they were going to fucking implement it. The kind of thing you watch intending to just enjoy the ride.

..Mm, honestly Bob you're really good at convincing me to see a movie or skip it, but.. with this one, you left me in the open. As much as I liked hearing a review about this movie, you probably may want to not do comedy movies like this again because like you said, "If I tell you the jokes, it'll pretty much give the whole movie away". Yep. Also, all those movies you kept saying were good at the start made me realize something- they were all survival action movies with an angency life-style thing to it Haha.

Oh and the Hercules throwing a bear to space- What the crap?? Haha!! Oh wow that was seriously hilarious. That's actually the most original thing i've heard in a long time spite that it's totally random. A greek hero having a bear, get chucked into space.. like a sci-fi movie or something. And the rainbow flame sword?? I must have that.. I don't care if people look down on it, the sword looks very cool all the same. So i'll make sure to check that movie out because I can't stop laughing..(seriously!)

hmmmmmmmmm...
fantasy spoof with dumbed-down legends... now, where could I have seen THAT before...
'Mais oui!, je sais!'

and for my english speaking friends, you may say these exact words:

:P

Thor and Captain America really better not suck.

Green Lantern, that goes for you too.

Gralian:

Aiddon:
Now I just really wanna watch Hercules

This. It looks trippier than Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Also, i'm going to avoid this movie like the plague. No offense to you Bob, but you have a pretty poor taste in comedy. I saw Hot Tub Time Machine on the TV the other day and it was just awful. Awful, awful AWFUL. The paper gave it one star out of five, but i decided to give it a shot anyway on your recommendation a long while back. Didn't chuckle at it. Not even once. Then there's your praise surrounding the mediocre Paul and while i haven't seen that particular movie, the trailers i did see employed tired old jokes that just never hit home. It felt very disconnecting to see British actors ostensibly play out American jokes and humour. I don't like these kind of "Aw duuuude" 'stoner' movies anyway, and i'll probably like one even less that rips on the whole fantasy trope while trying to be semi-serious. Not to mention i'm getting dreadfully sick of seeing and hearing about Natalie Portman. Don't we have any other young female actresses in Hollywood that are rising stars?

Yeah but they're not as awesome.

Hercules throwing a bear into space: "And thus was formed the constellation Ursa Major."

There's another Hercules movie out there set in the modern day and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, but all his lines are dubbed over by someone else.

Susan Arendt:
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle is still the epitome of stoner comedy for me, so I think I'll give this a pass. I can't stand James Franco and I really don't want to have to look at that other guy the entire time.

I heart the raccoon:)

I was looking forward to this actually till I saw more of the trailers. I'm going to wait for DVD I think at this point. I'm deeply afraid the most funny parts of the movie were in the trailers....and those were not very funny as it is.

Natalie Portman will be in Thor as well ? I love that gal !

Pick your favorite swords & sorcery movie, imagine the characters one third dumber, two thirds more self aware, and constantly on hallucinogenic drugs, & you've basically got, "Your Highness."

You've just described every single one of my D&D games from the past 6 years, plus or minus the hallucinogens, depending on perspective of who's actually taking them (the characters or the players).

MovieBob just won't admit that he has a huge man-crush on Lou Ferrigno.

It's okay Bob, it doesn't make you any less of a man. *gently pats him on the back*

But seriously, the Hercules movies (there are at least two if I recall correctly) are so supremely awful... It's both painful and hilarious to watch them. (at LEAST one of them is streaming on Netflix currently, possibly the first two now)

BTW, I wouldn't describe the universe as a Tolkein-esque fantasy kingdom, but as straight-up Hollywood fantasy kingdom. Everything's too clean, and the colors are too saturated -- just like the Errol Flynn Robin Hood, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, The Court Jester, the more recent A Knight's Tale, et al.

Incidentally, if you want comedy in a fantasy medieval setting, The Court Jester is tough to beat.

I managed to see an early screening of Your Highness on Tuesday for free thanks to a voucher from my new job. It was good to be able to get in to see it along with the local press.

It was funny, and that's really what matters. As a former stoner, I got enough of the jokes about drugs, but the movie isn't just about drug jokes. In fact, in my blog, I went as far to say that this wasn't a comedy with fantasy elements, but a fantasy movie with comedic elements.

I recommended it if you like raunchy comedy.

wolfchylde:
But seriously, the Hercules movies (there are at least two if I recall correctly) are so supremely awful...

Two? I can immediately recall three Hercules movies screened in the Mystery Science Theater alone, and none of them had Lou Ferrigno. There are an absurd number of Hercules films out there.

EDIT: I just checked. MST3K screened four "Hercules" films, and arguably five: Hercules Unchained, Hercules Against The Moon Men ("Deeeeeep Hurting!"), Hercules and The Captive Women, and simply Hercules. The arguable fifth film is Colossus and The Headhunters, which has a very Hercules-y guy in the lead.

I bet even the disney cartoon version of hercules is better then the 1983 version.

PS. If anybody has a rainbow fire sword give it to me, cus its awesome.

millertime059:

StriderShinryu:

DearFilm:

It's probably because of all those movies, this is likely to be the most popular. Most of the time that's what he does, review the biggest stuff, with the occasional 'Imma gonna review this one because, damnit, it's what I want to see' thrown in.

Yea, but he also seems to want to encourage people to seek out movies they might otherwise miss. You'd think he would expound upon Hanna, or Super, in order to fan the flames of curiosity.

Argh! Too many good movies! I still haven't seen Sucker Punch yet ;_;

Also: RAINBOW FIRE SWORD.

canadamus_prime:
Oh, a stoner movie. I HATE stoner movies. And I actually thought this looked promising too.

But it's Stoner Lord of the Rings! Come on!

Favorite Bad Sword and Sorcerer movie is the Barbarians starring David and Peter Paul. It might have been good if there was was competent director behind it, but right now it is one of those almost good movies.

ewhac:

wolfchylde:
But seriously, the Hercules movies (there are at least two if I recall correctly) are so supremely awful...

Two? I can immediately recall three Hercules movies screened in the Mystery Science Theater alone, and none of them had Lou Ferrigno. There are an absurd number of Hercules films out there.

EDIT: I just checked. MST3K screened four "Hercules" films, and arguably five: Hercules Unchained, Hercules Against The Moon Men ("Deeeeeep Hurting!"), Hercules and The Captive Women, and simply Hercules. The arguable fifth film is Colossus and The Headhunters, which has a very Hercules-y guy in the lead.

I MEANT with Lou F as Hercules, my apologies for the confusion. There's actually a SERIES of movies with him as the titled character. Oh the glorious 80's... everything about them! They're just... so... awful... :D

As to other Hercules movies, trust me there are TONS of them, I think Italy exported them by the bucketful!

Did I just see Hercules fighting a robot dragon made out of tinker toys? O_O

Where can I rent that thing?

Aiddon:
Now I just really wanna watch Hercules

Dido lol

Onyx Oblivion:
I think I might see "Arthur" this weekend, instead...

But I'll watch this on DVD.

And everything I've seen about Thor makes it seem like it won't suck.

But you can make a good trailer for ANYTHING.

But... why? Why would you willingly contribute to the financial success of a remake of Arthur featuring Russell Brand?

The first movie was so good that a comedy got a nomination for best supporting actor. They needed to remake it replacing that stellar performance with one by the biggest dipshit currently living on earth? But... WHY?

Cellseam:
Nope. Don't care. I don't care if you praise it to the level of watchmen. I'm not watching Hollywood purposefully fucking over the middle ages.

but on board with hanna. Ha, Matt Damon as a little girl. Yep, that's about right, hopefully less shaky cam.

Um... because you heart the middle ages? Widespread illiteracy, backwards theocracy, and the black death sets your heart to pitter patter? Why is a goofy comedy set during this time period worse than one set in any other time period?

Not G. Ivingname:
Did I just see Hercules fighting a robot dragon made out of tinker toys? O_O

Where can I rent that thing?

I thought it was a dragon zord.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: