Critical Miss: Garrus: Badass Burnout

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Garrus: Badass Burnout

He has reach and an awesome utility belt!

Read Full Article

Grey Carter:
"Where exactly can he go from there?

Isn't it obvious?

And then it turns out Shepard is Garrus in Mass Effect 3.

Heh. I think you guys just earned yourselves a huge heap of love from the escapist community.

Personally, I never quite understood all the Garrus worship. I mean, don't get me wrong, I do like him. He's fairly well characterized and fun to have around, but he never quite stepped into awesome territory. At least not for me.

Same with Tali, come to think of it.

I should probably go into hiding now.

EDIT: Clarification for all the people quoting me and saying, "Yeah, I hate them too." I don't dislike those characters, not in the slightest. I think they are pretty good, at least by video game standards. Especially once they got a bit more exposure in ME2. I just never quite understood the adoration. That is all.

Zhukov:
Heh. I think you guys just earned yourselves a huge heap of love from the escapist community.

Personally, I never quite understood all the Garrus worship. I mean, don't get me wrong, I do like him. He's fairly well characterized and fun to have around, but he never quite stepped into awesome territory. At least not for me.

Tali I agree with, never got why everyone loved her. Garrus is a total badass though.

Zhukov:

Never underestimate the power of memetic badassery.

I liked Garrus better in ME1. He really acts like Batman in ME2 and I don't like that. He's too dark/badass and there are a lot of dark/badass characters in ME2 already. He was better when he was like some sorts of space police man/alien with emotions. The new Garrus is like "Let's nuke the place and call it quits".

Turns out Garrus has a twin sister, who is just as awesome as Garrus, except, you know, you can have sex with her.

Maybe he'll be a Space-Highlander.

There is but only one way left to go then beyond Batman

Arachon:
Isn't it obvious?

Well, in ME2 he is arguably already a vigilante, if I'm not mistaken it's even stated.

Although a Dirty Harry reference would be so golden.

"Well, if a rogue Salarian is out trying to commit heinous genetic experiments, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy."

Damnit, all this talk about Mass Effect 3 makes me want to replay Mass Effect 1 and I really don't have the time.

Specter, he's earned it by now.

Zhukov:

Well Tali was basically written to be loved by all. So its not really surprising. As for Garrus, well I don't know. Guess he just struck a chord with people.

Implying he needs to go anywhere?

They should just go ahead and make him your 2nd in command, because there's no way in hell that unlikable sow Miranda was my 2nd

Where else is there to go?

Daystar Clarion:
Turns out Garrus has a twin sister, who is just as awesome as Garrus, except, you know, you can have sex with her.

Why will she be lesbian then :P

surprised it took 10 replies for chuck norris to be mentioned.
Just hope Garrus will be less interested in calibrations and more interested in talking >.>

I don't care, he can still calibrate my guns any day. Damn Bioware and the lack of gay romances in Mass Effect...

Arachon:
Isn't it obvious?

Give this man a prize... also, Garrus batman? Overload of awesome.

CM156:
There is but only one way left to go then beyond Batman

Chuck Norris is a not that great actor who got egotistical and made a lame TV show. Where's the love for Bruce Lee? Or Audie Murphy?

gxs:
I liked Garrus better in ME1. He really acts like Batman in ME2 and I don't like that. He's too dark/badass and there are a lot of dark/badass characters in ME2 already. He was better when he was like some sorts of space police man/alien with emotions. The new Garrus is like "Let's nuke the place and call it quits".

That fit in with his story arc though. His emotions are really tested in the first mass effect and in the second he seems to have snapped.

I like it

I would love to see Garrus repent his life of killing and retire to a Monk-like existence, hiding out in Shepard's quarters just to chat about the healing power of laughter.

Judge EFFIN Dredd, that's where! ^^

Spot1990:

Zhukov:

Tali I agree with, never got why everyone loved her. Garrus is a total badass though.

I liked Tali just because she seemed like the "fish out of water" who never let that get in the way. She got shit done because it was important to get it done. Also I thought the whole space gypsy thing was kind of interesting.

gxs:

How many peoples deaths would you have to be responsible for before you turn a bit vicious?

Ew. Lower lip. Remove it.

I appreciate it's not as obtrusive as usual this week, but it's still there, and it's like ugly facial hair that won't go away and damnit i'm going to keep bringing it up and protesting it until it does.

Fun comic as always, but i never got the popularity behind Garrus. Perhaps because i never really used him in either game. He always struck me as a bit of a cowboy that was too big for his britches.

Zhukov:

Burn him! burn the heretic! But seriously, I agree on Tali, Tali is a little girl and frankly I don't get why people want to get under her suit. I always preferred to go after the actual, full grown women (If Miranda's not back I'll be pretty disappointed) and treat Tali like a little sister. As for the people's love of Garrus? You can't not like Garrus. He's a bad-ass with a heart of gold.

Add to that he's pretty competent. He and Shepard are basically equals and you can rely on Garrus's loyalty and ability to get the job done. It's less a Batman and Robin relationship than say Enkidu and Gilgamesh or Riggs and Murtaugh. If only he'd finish with those calibrations though. I want to see a bit in Mass effect 3 where he announces "The calibrations are finished!" and something annihilates the enemy. As it does it's bloody work, or after it has he turns to Shepard and says "I think I could improve it with a few more calibrations".

To be honest I would be happy if Garrus just finished his calibrations and had more personal quests, cos he kicks ass

just saying if I dont get Garrus and Tali as my team in ME3 like the last 2 games Ill be very very sad T_T.

HankMan:
Specter, he's earned it by now.

This. I think it would be cool to see him become one and it would allow us to have a new turian in the party too.

Hey guys, nice thread and all, but...can it wait a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.

Garrus didn't change that much. He still kills bad guys without remorse. Batman doesn't kill bad guys - he renders them unconscious OR they die occasionally.

Canadish:
Hey guys, nice thread and all, but...can it wait a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.

I always hated this. I never got to romance him as Fem Shep because his damn calibrations.

OT: Well, he could just become a complete psychopath if you did renegade with him, or try to be a better person if you did Paragon with him.

I would pay for that DLC skin pack if it had Garrus in a Batman Battlesuit.

After Mass Effect 3, Garrus becomes a Spectre and stars in his own Sci-Fi RPG series, Garrus Effect.

OH, COME ON. I would so buy that!

Where can he go from there? Let me put it this way:

"Varkarian, Garrus Vakarian. I'll have a martini, Dextro DNA."

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook