The Big Picture: Maddening

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . . . 23 NEXT

feeqmatic:
[quote="Vault boy Eddie" post="6.276774.10763835"][quote="feeqmatic" post="6.276774.10763516"][quote="Vault boy Eddie" post="6.276774.10763418"]

You, like a lot of people seem more satisfied with watching the man fall than what he actually fell for. And the idea that he has the audacity to TRY let alone SUCCEED in rising again brings out a bit of ugly in you and a lot of people.

As I have stated before, I dont think having him on the cover of Madden is a good idea, but this disdain for his existince based on dogfighting charges is ridiculous when coming from bug stomping, meat eating, leather wearing normal people. What it says to me is that it has little to do with the actual crime at hand and more to do with other "factors" of the person who did it.

Right on. This gets to the heart of what is so wrong with a lot of the Vick hate going on out there. Too many people just want to tear the man down because they can.

Bob, good video, but you seriously have to draw some lines as to where you're at. We don't get much idea of your religious or moral ideals, which normally would be irrelevant, but when you talk about stuff like this, it seems necessary.

Takeda Shingen:

feeqmatic:
[quote="Vault boy Eddie" post="6.276774.10763835"][quote="feeqmatic" post="6.276774.10763516"][quote="Vault boy Eddie" post="6.276774.10763418"]

You, like a lot of people seem more satisfied with watching the man fall than what he actually fell for. And the idea that he has the audacity to TRY let alone SUCCEED in rising again brings out a bit of ugly in you and a lot of people.

As I have stated before, I dont think having him on the cover of Madden is a good idea, but this disdain for his existince based on dogfighting charges is ridiculous when coming from bug stomping, meat eating, leather wearing normal people. What it says to me is that it has little to do with the actual crime at hand and more to do with other "factors" of the person who did it.

Right on. This gets to the heart of what is so wrong with a lot of the Vick hate going on out there. Too many people just want to tear the man down because they can.

You forget that many of us have a reason for disliking Vick. He didn't just kill a cattle to eat it nor kill some bugs because they invaded his home (not saying any of this happened, but it probably did). He had no reason, to have a dog fight for him only to gain profit. There's a difference on why people do things. I admit that things we do aren't justified sometimes and we need to learn our lessons, but it still doesn't excuse people like Vick for what he has done and people will remember that fact because it's been proven.

Society kills animals mainly to survive. We eat meat to grow healthy and not all are ok with eating just veggies (spite that it's really healthy and I got nothing wrong with that, but people simply won't just eat plant-like foods). Along that, people are into fashion so they wear things made from animals. I don't agree that it's ok, but they do so to keep warm or look nice. Yet, you cannot deny the fact that he used an innocent animal like a dog being the most noble creature known to man, fight to the death for no cause other then to gamble.

Not attacking you, but please take note that I am not against Vick cause I simply can. I'm against him because he has literally shown nor remorse or regret for having dogs kill each other for selfish purposes. You can claim/agree with the User you quoted that us discarding his existence is ridiculous, but let me ask you this - How far would you allow a man to go before seeing that he crossed the line? He didn't even serve full time.. he's a famous football player so he pretty much got a slap on the hand rather then what anyone else would of gotten. He's a football player, not a hero who risks his life.. all he does is throws a ball for people's entertainment. He has no credibility and shouldn't be spared criticism all because he is well-known or liked for his skills.

Also, the user above has insulted people for what he/she said. No one is perfect, but to judge us cannot go underway without judging yourself. Without right tensions, we can all point fingers and say how wrong someone is. But, in this situation- we all dislike Vick for his crime that is unbelievably low. That is declaring that he is not worthy of gaining the title of a Game's cover rather then judging him period. This is all I got to say and I hope you understand. When you stick up for someone, really understand the reason why rather then feeling you need to just because you feel that what he did was 'minor' or being taken seriously. Even the Staff here take it seriously, and Bob himself does. What is your reason to defend him? You don't have to answer but I want you to think carefully about that. For I know the reason why I am against him and that is he used his best friend to fight, bleeding out for what? So Vick could gain money and use his beloved pet again till it drops dead. There is no excuse..

Dog Fighting. The most horrible of crimes.

PunkRex:

THEJORRRG:
I suggest we put bob on the cover.

Can we have our own poll and send it to EA? I think we should put forward Seijuro Shin and Charizard as well.

Oh well if we're doing this, I'd like to also nominate Vinny Jones, Gilbert Gottfried, Johnny Bravo, David Mitchell, Dawn French, and my friend Franco.

captainwillies:

Dog Fighting. The most horrible of crimes.

Pure, unleaded win

If I have it my way Michale Vick would never play sports professionally again, and that would be the least of his punishment. Not because of Animal rights, but because Professional Athletes are supposed to be role models to the community. Children and teens look up to them, adults what to be like them, the opposite sex wants to be with them (women wanting to be with male athletes and men wanting to be with female athletes). Picture here is Professional athletes should be held to a higher standard of personal conduct both on and off the field than they are now.

If you commit the same crime, your employer would be justified in firing you once the news of your crimes hit the public purely out of the basis they no longer want you to represent their company. Which an employee of a company does, they represent their company where they want to or not regardless of position.

In my mind people like Michale Vick, Kobe Bryant and Ben Roethlisberger (so on and so on), when they disgrace them selves, they do not just tarnish their image, they tarnish the image of others in their team, league, sport and profession.

CleverNickname:
Wish he'd refuted the "It's just a dog" thing.

Because really... they are just dogs. I don't get why cruelty to dogs gets such an immensely worse rep than a lot of other animal cruelty. Every dog owner I've met has been an irrational overexcited mess. Between them and their dogs, the dogs were usually the smart ones - and that's saying a lot, looking at those empty hurrdurr-faces of dogs.

Dogs as a species are almost entirely dependent on their masters. Cruelty towards them not only awful by virtue of it being a pretty terrible thing to do to another living thing, but because it is a perversion of a role we as humans established. There are few animals we have had more of a hand in controlling the development of, and that is saying something. We have bred them to make them more compliant, friendlier, and often to fit certain physical specifications. We have essentially been the strongest existing force not only in their development over thousands of years, but in their existence today. We have made ourselves the unquestioned rulers of these creatures. They trust their owners unquestioningly, because they have little sense or capacity to do anything else. To then take those thousands of years of bonding and selective breeding and simply throw them into a pit and make them devour each other because "It's what will make master happy" is a pretty heinous thing to do.

Not to mention dog fighting isn't just about what goes on in the ring. That's plenty bad, but there are the circumstances that lead to it. The animals aren't exactly living in stellar living arrangements between gentle sparring matches. They vicious tear into each other, often surviving only by the skin of their teeth, and often with massive injuries that will ensure defeat in future matches. They are then given fairly flimsy treatment (after all, one can hardly convincingly bring a dog trained to fight into a vet's office) and often left in utter squalor until the next fight. They are trained brutally, punished severely, and it's not like their working towards some greater reward.

Then there's the bait animal.

For those not in the know on this, the bait animal is an animal (often a smaller dog) who is tied to a stake or placed in a pen for the larger dogs to "train" on. This animal is pretty much mauled and killed by the larger dogs. There is no other outcome. They either get their mouths taped shut or they have all their teeth pulled out so they can't fight back, and then are basically tiny squeaking chew-toys for the dogs that are being trained to fight and die.

So, yeah, it's a pretty heinous crime being perpetrated against a species of animals that through millenia of selective breeding can't really think for themselves or even possess the self-awareness necessary to realize what is being done to them. Plus, this is almost exclusively practiced on dogs. Sure, there are cock fights, too, and they aren't exactly a representation of how far we've come as a species. Still, most domesticated animals do not occasionally get put into, say, an all-feline reimagining of "Bloodsport." Therefore, dog fighting is looked upon with a greater sense of disgust. As it should be.

Bob hating on a guy that represents his childhood bullies with the convenient excuse that he did something a significant percent of the population finds unforgivable!!

Color me totally not surprised.

Edit: doh

I am astonished by the number of people who would defend torturing animals.
Because somebody who has done what this man has done, doesn't deserve to be the face of an entire franchise, however briefly.

Leaving aside the actions themselves, what kind of person sets out to do them?

EDIT:

theevilsanta:
Bob hating on a guy that represents his childhood bullies with the convenient excuse that he did something a significant percent of the population finds unforgivable!!

Color me totally no surprised.

Yes, this is purely a revenge trip for Bob's childhood. Has nothing to do with the fact the guy tortured animals for money.
Call it what it is, not "something a significant percent of the population finds unforgivable". You call it such because you know calling it what it is guts your post.

MovieBob:
Maddening

MovieBob wonders why people keep buying Madden, and why anyone would want Michael Vick on the cover.

Watch Video

I'm glad you've got the guts to stand up for your opinion in such a prolific manner. Go Bob.

It aint often that I agree with Bob 100% but this is one of those times.
Vick is a worthless piece of shit and he will have "served his time" only after he is stuck in a cage, dragged out to fight to the death every couple days and finally either dies in the ring or gets put down after he is too damaged to fight anymore.
Anything less is just a bullshit slap on the wrist for that rabid fuck.

AvauntVanguard:

Onyxious:

AvauntVanguard:

Now, was that really necessary?

I simply don't see non-human animals as equals. Is this really such an offensive concept?

I suppose it wasn't, but it's true.

I understand what you're saying, but I was just trying to have an interesting argument.

By resorting to direct insults? Bad form, friendo! Bad form!

I guess.

But then again, I do get very butthurt when I hear people who don't mind killing animals or who think they're below us.

By the way, since you're an atheist, you will agree that if it weren't for animals we wouldn't even be around.

And technically, we are animals.

So are we below ourselves?

Eh personally I think Bob is making a big deal out of nothing and this is another case of him taking advantage of his listening fan base, honestly you don't have to like the guy, also I like Madden...

Dhatz:
for a intellectual person you are dumber than i thought MB? i know several dogs that deserve being killed. If this is where it's going then WARNING: desynchronisation imminent.

I suppose you think this because they bit you or bark loudly or something.

But would you kill a human for that?

Spinwhiz:

Di'kut:

Susan Arendt:

He got his second chance - he's still playing professional football and getting paid obscene amounts of money for it. He's been given the opportunity to make a living off his athletic prowess. Anything other than that? He was a millionaire who got his jollies torturing and killing innocent animals. He can die in a damn fire.

Saying he could "die in a damn fire" sounds like something we regular plebians could get put on probation/suspension for. Damn shame you guys can abuse the system any way you feel like it.

It's not against the rules. She is not flaming anyone on this site, a group of people or a content creator. This goes the same for the person who would like to "shoot him (Vick) in the head".

Sooo... I get put on probation for a Sodomy joke, still about one guy. But! People here, including your own people, write extremly hateful thing about Vick and that's okay?

Seriously?

*applauds* I tip my hat to you, sir!

I'm trying to give a shit. Really, I am. From a moral perspective, I know that I probably should. I'm a football fan. Hell, I've even looked at pictures of abused dogs (horrible, disgusting, and depressing stuff).

But try as I might, I just can't bring myself to give a month-old pile of rat shit about this non-story. It's the cover of an overrated game franchise. My indifference knows no limits.

Susan Arendt:

boeingguy787:
Seriously, guys? NOBODY believes in second chances? I thought that the justice system was designed to rehabilitate people, and Vick seems to be rehabilitated (unlike countless others who have not changed their ways).

He got his second chance - he's still playing professional football and getting paid obscene amounts of money for it. He's been given the opportunity to make a living off his athletic prowess. Anything other than that? He was a millionaire who got his jollies torturing and killing innocent animals. He can die in a damn fire.

I second that. It boggles my mind how many people are tripping all over themselves to forgive this pendejo.

And BTW, Boeingguy, if you seriously think the American penal system is designed to rehabilitate criminals you seriously need to spend a weekend in a county lockup, shut the hell up, or accept that to anyone who's been there you look like a total freakin' moron.

Michael Vick is the lowest form of life. If I wasn't already done with EA (on the grounds that their games suck) this would be boycott bait for me.

But it is just a dog. - suggesting its unforgivable is so stupid. A drunken bar fight is worse.

What about dogs that kill babies? Sure they didn;t know what was doing was wrong. But humans don't either. All humans feel constantly justified.

Regardless, it should just be that he's a criminal which is the problem. Not his crime.

What does it matter if he's a criminal. He's on the cover because he's good at the sport. Not because he's a good person.

Quit being so pathetically hyperbolic.

Onyxious:

Dhatz:
for a intellectual person you are dumber than i thought MB? i know several dogs that deserve being killed. If this is where it's going then WARNING: desynchronisation imminent.

What?!

You have got to be kidding me!

You're equating the life of a dog to that of a person?

I don't understand people.

An excellent argument and one I agree with on every level. Vick has done his time, but he has lot of bad karma built up for his torturing and murder of dogs. Maybe he should no longer deserved to be universally despised, but he should also not be celebrated either.

I was under the impression that athletes were national heroes in the US of A.

There's too much money involved for anyone in EA to care.
Also, I have to cringe whenever people are freaking out the way Bob is in this vid, over animal abuse. Where was the raging disbelief during the creation of that Fallulah game?

A lot of things happened there that were *not* part the US army's finest moments. And then a studio decides to create this game for the "heroes".
Not to mention the fact that a lot of families were pretty frickin' torn up about the fact that a game company was about to make money off of that. (And whether you're on the side of the soldiers who wants to tell their story, or the families who have to see their relatives death immortalized in entertainment media, it still hurt a lot of people, and that should never be part of releasing a game, by any definition)

My point is... this is not worth raging about. I'm sorry, but this is about a game that has a narrow target audience, it doesn't represent the whole of EA and it's barely connected to gaming at all.

But, like Bob says, the show is about whatever he wants to talk about, so it's only fair that it doesn't have to live up to anyone elses standards. Just as long as you don't make a "genetic food" video again, that was horrible.

stinkychops:

Onyxious:

Dhatz:

What?!

Yeah, I do that.

Onyxious:

stinkychops:

Onyxious:

What?!

Yeah, I do that.

If you're not adopting as many strays as possible then you're a monster.

I couldnt agree with you more Bob.
It's just like Mike Tyson. He is a covicted rapist, and now stars in movies.
And the "singer" Chris Brown. He beat the crap out of his girlfriend Rhianna, and he's still performing his own headline concerts.

People need to remember what these scumbags did in the past or they will just set an example to others that this behavior is ok.

You are all so very wrong, Vick Totally deserves to be on the cover!

Of course it should be a picture of him with a dog biting his crotch :)

Good video as always Bob! Im personally from no where near america so i didnt really hear about this until now but yeah... WTF?! A guy who did that is still in NFL?

Bullshit. It`s this people i hate the most, the ones who get all morally high when a dog/animal dies but can`t give a shit if a person dies or suffers at 10 meters from them. And yes, it`s just a dog.

p.s. i don`t watch or like NFL

I uh, have no idea about Madden, but it's the same concerning FIFA. So yeah, I agree concerning sequels.

One thing I'm not entirely positive about is the argument that "Michael Vick the-guy-who-catches-a-ball" did something horrifying and should suffer until the end of his life for it, regardless of rehabilitation and so forth. Now, if it was "Michael Vick the soldier" or "Michael Vick the life-saving physicist", you suggest that this would be different -

- AFTER ARGUING FOR TWO MINUTES that you, in principle agree with reintegrating felons and that he "served his time" etc, but that this did not apply in this case because of the nature of the crime.

Now, I obviously never heard of the guy before, but this strikes me as somewhat hypocritical.

Edit: Also for animals not being capable of doing wrong: Animals may not do wrong on a moral basis, but morals ARE NOT A GOOD MEASURE FOR ANYTHING. I would shoot a bear attacking me. That bear would have done no wrong on a moral level - it would have tried to protects its territory, kids, whatever. Just the same as humans usually kill wild animals trespassing on their land. Just a heads up - there are situation where humans do kill other animals for reasons that have nothing to do with morals, including self-defense or simply sustenance. And it's perfectly acceptable. So yeah, morals aren't really an issue here.

Random Name 4:
You mad?

Seriously, I don't give a shit about animal rights or the NFL, but surely it is obvious that this is just trolling?

You are rising to the bait of some trolls, they have been successful

EA isn't some anonymous geek trying to have a laugh.

stinkychops:

Onyxious:

stinkychops:

What?!

Yeah, I do that.

If you're not adopting as many strays as possible then you're a monster.

Oh don't worry, I do :)

Hi! This is the Escapistmagazine's residential animal rights nut job and I liked your video! (P.S - I hate Peta too)

My god, fifteen pages already? Daaaaamn. You're a brave man, bob. A very brave man. To do a video that basically had Animal rights, EA, and foot ball you were walking in one massive shitstorm. Nice to see you managed to get out of that real safely.

I enjoyed this video and found it was done in good taste. I hate the 'they're just dogs' argument as well because it's filled with nothing hypocrisy. Basically almost everyone has a pet these days and I bet half of those twats that say 'it's just a dog' would be just a bit destroyed if they lost a pet of their own.

It's funny. If a single wolf kills one person that decides to take a walk in a dark woods at night we have to go on this big cull. But if this overpaid, overhyped athelete runs an illegal operation that makes a profit out of the pain, suffering, and deaths of many animals he's out of jail before you can say 'Come-the-Fuck-on-he-Just-Throws-a-Ball-Around-for-a-Living.' Somewhere out there in the same state I bet a women who killed her drunken, unemployed, and abusive husband is in jail for life. Sad, because justice is supposed to be blind and she isnt supposed to judge someone's crimes according to whether someone's rich or human. No, she's supposed to judge someone's crimes according to the horrible acts they commit and why. Not who they're done to.

He's rich so it's not like he needed the money anyway, so I fail to see how he's 'turning his life around.' Seems more to me like he's a sociopath who would probably be doing these things to other people if he could get a profit out of it.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here