Escape to the Movies: Scre4m

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Was that Hayden Panettiere? With any luck, this will kill her career, too, so we can stop seeing her.

I don't usually have a problem with Bob's incredible bias towards things, but today's episode really just pissed me off. I think it was just his explanation at the start, which to me sounded like "waaaaaaah waaaaaaah I used to be a happy little snowflake, and then Scream came out and all the popular kids could do the same things as me. SCREAM SUCKS! Waaaah."

Starting a review with crap like that renders anything he had to say afterward completely pointless, IMO.

As, for the movie itself, dont care. never seen any of them before, don't plan to see this one.

omegawyrm:
I hate you guys. Yahtzee gets endless praise week after week, for being a petulant, hipster, jerk, or at least acting like one, but when Bob, who gives far more positive than negative reviews, says he doesn't like a movie and puts out front and center his personal reason for disliking the series, suddenly he's "the most biased, worthless, and egocentric person ever".

And Bob, please don't let the dickish reaction to your story stop you from sharing your personal feelings about a film or series with us again. I think I understood what you were saying, because a similar thing happened to me in high school when Napoleon Dynamite came out, and I hate that movie for it. Same for Fanboys. It also helps that neither of them are funny in the slightest or understand what nerd-dom is about.

Way to spectacularly miss the point. Yahtzee produces a comedy show in which he plays an exaggerated version of himself and reviews games with his tongue firmly in his cheek, there's not an ounce of genuine malice in any of his videos. He mocks the fans of the genres he doesn't like but he never simply calls them fucking idiots.

Bob on the other hand is becoming more and more of a smug douche who blatantly insults everyone who disagrees with him, including a large portion of his viewers, without a hint of shame or irony. Bob's reaction to differing opinions is to call everyone who disagrees with him stupid and continues to portray any group he isn't a part of as retarded jocks.

For example, Yahtzee doesn't like JRGP's so he doesn't review them, and on the odd occasion he does he mocks the aspects of them he doesn't like. Bob opened this review with a rant about how Scream dared to bring his hobby into the mainstream and take away his special thing. It would be like if Yahtzee started hating on Mario because he was once molested by a guy with a mustache.

If you can find a single valid criticism in this review I'd love to hear it, because I've just watched it again and there's nothing.

Farson89:
text

I have to agree with you. This whole Yahtzee Bob thing reminds me of Bob's video on political correctness. Now I don't want to cause a huge argument, but Yahtzee is one of the most politically incorrect commentators on the video game industry. Nearly every criticism he has made, I have to kind of accept. I always find there is a glimmer of truth in what he says, even if it is uncomfortable listening for me. Yahtzee seems more than willing to say stuff about games that others would rather ignore and I admire him for that because it always seems like he is speaking his mind. Whenever someone say: "I don't take Yahtzee's views seriously" I am always reminded of a child sticking his fingers in his ears and closing his eyes.

Bob on the other hand, seems to trip over himself in this review. He starts with an explanation of why he will be biased in the review (some might call that self-awareness) and then he criticises the film for being self-aware. hmmmmm.

all nice and well. but why did you pick lucas as your kid picture? to symbolize the problems you had as a kid?
I hate to break it to you but lucas(from mother 3)life is basically hell. he lost his mother his brother and he saw the friendly people of his hometown become becoming mean and then leaving until the town is empty. Comparing that to a kid losing the only thing he really was skillful is like comparing the nuclear bombs hitting Japan to a normal bomb hitting one house and causing one dead yes both of them are sad but the I think we can see which one is biggest tragedy.
and yes i know the irony of comparing the problems of a kid to a bomb is stupid.
are there no other pictures of kids on the web I mean lucas is kind of obscure.
have you played mother 3? If not then do it

Hmmm The more I read an analyze this it looks like Bob is turning into Frank Miller.

According to one review of Linkara's (I forget which), Frank Miller's work has gradually gone down in quality (read: escape to the movies), but on his blog posts is well-spoken (read: big picture, and intermission).

And I think maybe there could be a reason for this simply that short time = small detail.

In intermission he tends to have a lot more time to explain his reasoning, and in big picture the topics tend to be so specific the details needed can get in.

But escape to the movies? He just lacks the time to put in the details needs to make his arguments stick. Blanket statements, without context or evidence = pissed off group of people. It's pretty much a fundamental rule of debate. Plus since the other side is giving evidence on this forum and Bob...did not. They have a huge jump on him, making him look, well. Like a whiny protester outside of a government building holding a sign and yelling "WE WANT CHANGE" without any detail on what they WANT changed.

scre four um

gonna have that stuck in my head all day, classy review as always!

Farson89:

omegawyrm:
I hate you guys. Yahtzee gets endless praise week after week, for being a petulant, hipster, jerk, or at least acting like one, but when Bob, who gives far more positive than negative reviews, says he doesn't like a movie and puts out front and center his personal reason for disliking the series, suddenly he's "the most biased, worthless, and egocentric person ever".

And Bob, please don't let the dickish reaction to your story stop you from sharing your personal feelings about a film or series with us again. I think I understood what you were saying, because a similar thing happened to me in high school when Napoleon Dynamite came out, and I hate that movie for it. Same for Fanboys. It also helps that neither of them are funny in the slightest or understand what nerd-dom is about.

Way to spectacularly miss the point. Yahtzee produces a comedy show in which he plays an exaggerated version of himself and reviews games with his tongue firmly in his cheek, there's not an ounce of genuine malice in any of his videos. He mocks the fans of the genres he doesn't like but he never simply calls them fucking idiots.

Bob on the other hand is becoming more and more of a smug douche who blatantly insults everyone who disagrees with him, including a large portion of his viewers, without a hint of shame or irony. Bob's reaction to differing opinions is to call everyone who disagrees with him stupid and continues to portray any group he isn't a part of as retarded jocks.

For example, Yahtzee doesn't like JRGP's so he doesn't review them, and on the odd occasion he does he mocks the aspects of them he doesn't like. Bob opened this review with a rant about how Scream dared to bring his hobby into the mainstream and take away his special thing. It would be like if Yahtzee started hating on Mario because he was once molested by a guy with a mustache.

If you can find a single valid criticism in this review I'd love to hear it, because I've just watched it again and there's nothing.

Way to spectacularly miss the point. Yahtzee is taken quite seriously among many communities in real life and online, and those people therefore think that it's cool to talk about how all modern games suck and are unoriginal ripoffs. I like games, and that makes me upset. And he's at least playing the character of a smug douche and there have been many times Yahtzee has personally insulted me for liking something without seeming the slightest bit ironic about it. He's insulted people who like visual novels, people who like Warhammer 40k, people who read Batman comics, people who like motion controls, and people who like JRPGs, groups that all include me. Bob has never once insulted a group I belong too.

And who the hell are you to criticize another person's emotional reactions to their life history? He said he's been emotionally invested in his hobby since he was a kid, and he said he felt like the Scream movie allowed other people a grounds to unfairly cheapen that investment. Maybe you don't get that, but you can't say it's not a valid emotion.

And I have nothing to say about the movie, I've not seen it or any of the Scream movies.

... In fairness Bob, it is a douchebag party trick.

I do it too. I proudly boast that I identified the killer in Dexter Season 1 the moment he showed his face on screen. I managed to brag in Biology class that I knew all about Lupus from watching House. The nerdy business of knowing everything about something lends itself to douchebaggery.

omegawyrm:

1. Way to spectacularly miss the point. Yahtzee is taken quite seriously among many communities in real life and online, and those people therefore think that it's cool to talk about how all modern games suck and are unoriginal ripoffs. I like games, and that makes me upset. And he's at least playing the character of a smug douche and there have been many times Yahtzee has personally insulted me for liking something without seeming the slightest bit ironic about it. He's insulted people who like visual novels, people who like Warhammer 40k, people who read Batman comics, people who like motion controls, and people who like JRPGs, groups that all include me. Bob has never once insulted a group I belong too.

2. And who the hell are you to criticize another person's emotional reactions to their life history? He said he's been emotionally invested in his hobby since he was a kid, and he said he felt like the Scream movie allowed other people a grounds to unfairly cheapen that investment. Maybe you don't get that, but you can't say it's not a valid emotion.

3. And I have nothing to say about the movie, I've not seen it or any of the Scream movies.

1. You're doing it again.

First of all, Yahtzee shouldn't be taken all that seriously, we're agreed on that. He's a single guy with an internet connection and a mic and his opinion has no more or less value than anyone else's and anyone who blindly follows his opinion needs to start thinking for themselves. As for his 'insults', don't you understand the term tongue in cheek? I've never detected a single ounce of spite or malice from a Yahtzee video, he's playing up those insults for laughs, you aren't meant to take them seriously. I've been a part of those groups too, he's repeatedly savaged games and series I like and every time he's 'insulted' me I've known to take it as the joke it clearly is. Defending Bob because he hasn't yet called out you personally is one hell of a case of double standards. SO it's not okay for Yahtzee to make a joke at your expense but Bob can tell huge groups of other people to fuck off? There was real spite in this review and it was unpleasant to sit through, it's something that's been building for a while but it really came out in this video. He's perfectly entitled to hate Scream but not to be a huge dounche for no reason.

2. Again, I'm emotionally invested in things too. DO you know how annoying it was as a long time Batman fan to have to listen to everybody's un-informed opinions about the Joker after The Dark Knight came out? The same happened with 300, I'm a big ancient history buff and suddenly everyone was an expert on the Spartans despite actually knowing nothing. And you know what? I could still enjoy those films because I'm not an overgrown child, getting upset at the films themselves is pointless. I can make that judgement because I've gone through the same thing multiple times without throwing a fit.

3. Not what I was asking, I was asking if Bob had made any real points of value in his review and he didn't. I'm annoyed at him because I know he's better than this. He can produce negative reviews while making valid points and not act like an ass.

omegawyrm:

Way to spectacularly miss the point. Yahtzee is taken quite seriously among many communities in real life and online, and those people therefore think that it's cool to talk about how all modern games suck and are unoriginal ripoffs. I like games, and that makes me upset. And he's at least playing the character of a smug douche and there have been many times Yahtzee has personally insulted me for liking something without seeming the slightest bit ironic about it. He's insulted people who like visual novels, people who like Warhammer 40k, people who read Batman comics, people who like motion controls, and people who like JRPGs, groups that all include me. Bob has never once insulted a group I belong too.

And who the hell are you to criticize another person's emotional reactions to their life history? He said he's been emotionally invested in his hobby since he was a kid, and he said he felt like the Scream movie allowed other people a grounds to unfairly cheapen that investment. Maybe you don't get that, but you can't say it's not a valid emotion.

And I have nothing to say about the movie, I've not seen it or any of the Scream movies.

One of the earliest lessons Yahtzee learnt from his fans is that nobody likes him when he is being nice. As for being insulted, his insults almost always have some basis in reality that he exagerrates for comic effect. I happen to be a pokemon fan and I agree with his statements about pokemon fans.

You could learn a lot from Yahtzee if you stopped crying about the fact he doesn't like the same things as you.

A sad teenager, pissed off that a Film can do the "movie trivia" thing better than him develops an irrational hatred for a series of rather decent slasher movies, and above average films all around because it means he's not special anymore. What a pity Bob, but isn't that just a little bit pathetic.

Now granted I really like the Scream franchise. Sure it's not the greatest franchise ever, but decent slasher films are few and far between, with most being little more than B-movies. Hell the horror genre is one step above the japanese moster movie genre when it comes to crap special effects, use of stock footage, tired overused tropes and Z-list celebrities. If you're expecting a slasher film to be as awe inspiring and thrilling as Inception or as introspective and thought provoking as Black Swan you will be disappointed. If however you're expecting knify-stabby death with a little movie trivia satire thrown in, and try to like it for what it is, you might enjoy yourself.

Scream 4 (yes, I don't like the Scre4m name either, no one does), isn't amazing. If you didn't like the first films in the series you probably won't like this one. It is however, easier to relate to and more grounded than the third film, had a range of decent actors in it, with Hayden Pannateire or however the hell you spell her name, giving a really good performance, and the storyline actually had me wondering. Some bits where predictable and Neve Campbell was a lot less memorable in this film than the others, largely because she's not focused on as much I think, but the film itself was really enjoyable and people who enjoy this genre will not be disappointed.

Basically don't listen to the butt-hurt Bob, he only hates this film because his only talent was superseded by people who could do it better than him and did so in these films. He's a jelous loser who won't let himself like it because it made him less unique. Suck it up bitch.

TornadoCreator:
A sad teenager, pissed off that a Film can do the "movie trivia" thing better than him develops an irrational hatred for a series of rather decent slasher movies, and above average films all around because it means he's not special anymore. What a pity Bob, but isn't that just a little bit pathetic.

Now granted I really like the Scream franchise. Sure it's not the greatest franchise ever, but decent slasher films are few and far between, with most being little more than B-movies. Hell the horror genre is one step above the japanese moster movie genre when it comes to crap special effects, use of stock footage, tired overused tropes and Z-list celebrities. If you're expecting a slasher film to be as awe inspiring and thrilling as Inception or as introspective and thought provoking as Black Swan you will be disappointed. If however you're expecting knify-stabby death with a little movie trivia satire thrown in, and try to like it for what it is, you might enjoy yourself.

Scream 4 (yes, I don't like the Scre4m name either, no one does), isn't amazing. If you didn't like the first films in the series you probably won't like this one. It is however, easier to relate to and more grounded than the third film, had a range of decent actors in it, with Hayden Pannateire or however the hell you spell her name, giving a really good performance, and the storyline actually had me wondering. Some bits where predictable and Neve Campbell was a lot less memorable in this film than the others, largely because she's not focused on as much I think, but the film itself was really enjoyable and people who enjoy this genre will not be disappointed.

Basically don't listen to the butt-hurt Bob, he only hates this film because his only talent was superseded by people who could do it better than him and did so in these films. He's a jelous loser who won't let himself like it because it made him less unique. Suck it up bitch.

it is a sad state of affairs when I am more impressed by a review in the comments section, than the actual video review.

trying to imagine Moviebob as Randal not a hard thing to do

Farson89:

omegawyrm:

1. Way to spectacularly miss the point. Yahtzee is taken quite seriously among many communities in real life and online, and those people therefore think that it's cool to talk about how all modern games suck and are unoriginal ripoffs. I like games, and that makes me upset. And he's at least playing the character of a smug douche and there have been many times Yahtzee has personally insulted me for liking something without seeming the slightest bit ironic about it. He's insulted people who like visual novels, people who like Warhammer 40k, people who read Batman comics, people who like motion controls, and people who like JRPGs, groups that all include me. Bob has never once insulted a group I belong too.

2. And who the hell are you to criticize another person's emotional reactions to their life history? He said he's been emotionally invested in his hobby since he was a kid, and he said he felt like the Scream movie allowed other people a grounds to unfairly cheapen that investment. Maybe you don't get that, but you can't say it's not a valid emotion.

3. And I have nothing to say about the movie, I've not seen it or any of the Scream movies.

1. You're doing it again.

First of all, Yahtzee shouldn't be taken all that seriously, we're agreed on that. He's a single guy with an internet connection and a mic and his opinion has no more or less value than anyone else's and anyone who blindly follows his opinion needs to start thinking for themselves. As for his 'insults', don't you understand the term tongue in cheek? I've never detected a single ounce of spite or malice from a Yahtzee video, he's playing up those insults for laughs, you aren't meant to take them seriously. I've been a part of those groups too, he's repeatedly savaged games and series I like and every time he's 'insulted' me I've known to take it as the joke it clearly is. Defending Bob because he hasn't yet called out you personally is one hell of a case of double standards. SO it's not okay for Yahtzee to make a joke at your expense but Bob can tell huge groups of other people to fuck off? There was real spite in this review and it was unpleasant to sit through, it's something that's been building for a while but it really came out in this video. He's perfectly entitled to hate Scream but not to be a huge dounche for no reason.

2. Again, I'm emotionally invested in things too. DO you know how annoying it was as a long time Batman fan to have to listen to everybody's un-informed opinions about the Joker after The Dark Knight came out? The same happened with 300, I'm a big ancient history buff and suddenly everyone was an expert on the Spartans despite actually knowing nothing. And you know what? I could still enjoy those films because I'm not an overgrown child, getting upset at the films themselves is pointless. I can make that judgement because I've gone through the same thing multiple times without throwing a fit.

3. Not what I was asking, I was asking if Bob had made any real points of value in his review and he didn't. I'm annoyed at him because I know he's better than this. He can produce negative reviews while making valid points and not act like an ass.

OK, fine, regardless of the fact that that first argument is totally reversible and depends only on how you see the person, you win. Your intellect is clearly so vastly superior to my own and you're so coolly disconnected and emotionally mature that you don't get upset at movies because of the social situations surrounding them, and I am a mere infant by comparison.

I will make no further comments to rebut your superior opinions or interpretations, sorry to have wasted your time.

omegawyrm:

OK, fine, regardless of the fact that that first argument is totally reversible and depends only on how you see the person, you win. Your intellect is clearly so vastly superior to my own and you're so coolly disconnected and emotionally mature that you don't get upset at movies because of the social situations surrounding them, and I am a mere infant by comparison.

I will make no further comments to rebut your superior opinions or interpretations, sorry to have wasted your time.

Ah, you don't have a leg to stand on so you're pulling out and being snarky, nice. You'll note that I never called YOUR intelligence or maturity into question nor did I imply that I'm smarter than anyone here. I simply suggested that it isn't mature to get upset at a movie for bringing your personal interest into the mainstream and it's easy to brush it off, if I can do it why can't Bob? If you genuinely do get upset when that kind of thing happens there's something wrong with you.

But if you're so set on defending him at this point that you'll happily misrepresent what I've said then more power to you. I'm sure Bob will now ask you to be his best friend forever in return for your sterling efforts.

If anything it's ironic that I never accused you of being immature and in the post you say that I did, you act immature. But whatever feel free to act as if sticking your fingers in your ears is a sign of maturity.

They just fill it with too many winks and nods that its no longer a horror movie but a game of "spot the reference". yawn. They should have kept it simple. Had one killer that is real and another that is a copy cat as in a "remake" of the original. Have both in the movie. Also killer should have been nasty as in saw movies etc. Having another movie of "killer runs, falls over all the time and boringly stabs the victim" is boring.

"Because they were watching Shaun of the Dead."

OOOOOOOOOOH. EPIC BURN.

This movies title reminds me of how Thief 4 is going the same route with the whole Thi4f as the title.

Oh and Shaun of the Dead can make anything awesome :)

omegawyrm:

I have to agree; Yahtzee isn't so much irritating any more so much as he is boring me. Even if he WAS producing a comedy show (which he isn't, let's be honest) his humor has gotten stale and tired. He just seems to be falling back on the same jokes over and over again that, dare I say, come off as bigoted, hypocritical, and self-righteous at times. Like his Other M review where he has the GALL to act like he's being fair to women...AND THEN MAKES A MENSTRUATION JOKE. The only people Bob mocks are the assholes, the bigots, the hypocrites, and the holier-than-thou. Which, oddly enough, all seem to comprise MY GENERATION. God my generation SUCKS

I created an account just so I could say that Bob lost a fan with this review.

It was petty, empty, childish, and completely unprofessional. I don't need to repeat all of the criticisms already posted in these comments, but they are all accurate. Grow up and get over yourself, Bob.

I liked this review until you broke the news about The Crow.

Farson89:

Ah, you don't have a leg to stand on so you're pulling out and being snarky, nice. You'll note that I never called YOUR intelligence or maturity into question nor did I imply that I'm smarter than anyone here. I simply suggested that it isn't mature to get upset at a movie for bringing your personal interest into the mainstream and it's easy to brush it off, if I can do it why can't Bob? If you genuinely do get upset when that kind of thing happens there's something wrong with you.

But if you're so set on defending him at this point that you'll happily misrepresent what I've said then more power to you. I'm sure Bob will now ask you to be his best friend forever in return for your sterling efforts.

If anything it's ironic that I never accused you of being immature and in the post you say that I did, you act immature. But whatever feel free to act as if sticking your fingers in your ears is a sign of maturity.

Wow, you're so smug I can actually feel it.

gibboss28:
Yeah, I think I'm done listening to ya.

I'm a bit tired of Bob's personal pet peeves creeping into all his reviews. He could do a hell of a lot better if he just kept it to the pros and cons of the film instead of ranting about how his "talent" became useless after Scream (Newsflash, Bob: it was useless before too). I only watch his reviews on occasion when the film either looks interesting or I foolishly decide to see what he thinks about something I'm familiar with. Sure, I never really liked Scream or its sequels in any way, but I don't get all bent out of shape about it.

I feel like I just watched Yahtzee review a movie. Except... without the charming Britishness. Or the wit. Or the puns. Or the profane humor. So basically just an ass with a huge bias against what he's reviewing.

I sorta liked the 90's.

Honestly Bob, you come off as a douche-bag in this review.

Quick preface: I made this account just to leave this comment. Note that I am not a Scream fan. I've watched the first one a long time ago, and the film barely left an impression. I do love Horror, but I can think of a handful of much better horror comedies that I would rather watch than the Scream series. I am not really even a Craven fanboi either. I enjoy his work with NoES and The Hills Have Eyes, but I really have no interest in his filmography beyond that.

Hey there Bob. I've been a fan of yours for a while.

This "review" is a disgrace. It's outright offensive to even call this a review. It's nothing more than a vitriolic rant. If I wanted to hear some random spew hate into a microphone for 5 minutes, then I'd go to youtube. I do not expect your show to be nothing more than a series of baseless and childish attacks with absolutely no substance. You should be ashamed to call this a review.

I watch your show because you are usually very insightful. You have a very unique paradigm towards reviewing. I cannot really describe it, but I nonetheless find it appealing. But this review totally dismissed your established viewpoint, and you just sat around and bashed the film for no good reason. There was no criticism in this rant... nothing close to it. It was an excuse for you to masquerade a clearly and deep personal attack as a critique. The review is absolutely and totally unprofessional, and is a disgrace on your body of works, which is pretty solid and full of genuinely good opinions and critiques. Like I said, you should be ASHAMED for posting this in its current state.

I am not going to stop watching you, or stop listening to what you say. But you've destroyed your professional and journalistic integrity with this video. Everything you say I will now take with a grain of salt. I can't trust you anymore, since I know you aren't afraid to use your show as a vehicle to spew hate and disdain. As a fan of yours, I cannot be more disappointed. This is a massive nadir for you, Bob. I'll never be able to take your opinion anywhere near as seriously as I did.

I hope you realize that this was a huge mistake, and own up to it. It takes a lifetime to build up a reputation, but only one gaffe to ruin it all.

icame:

lol the irony

aww. I wanted this movie to be really good. I wanted this to be a total 100% analytical deconstruction of the horror genre, the nature of horror movies, and the nature of horror and movies in general. I didn't know anything about Wes Craven or the script writer so thats why i thought it would be that.

Stall:
Snippity-ip.

This is basically what I've been saying but better worded, if there was a 'like' button on this forum I would use it.

I really hope Bob reads this post and takes it on board, because he's a far better reviewer than the Scre4m video would suggest.

I don't get it. If you stopped using your "special power" because people were comparing you to a character in a stunningly mediocre slasher flick, I don't see how that's anyone's fault but yours for not going, "Whatever, I am what I am and I love what I love" instead of letting it embitter you. It came across a bit too much like the people who complain about their favourite bands/movies/hobbies going mainstream... oh my gosh, something I enjoyed and thought was fun/intelligent/creative is now being recognised as being so by everyone else! I guess that means it lost all its merit and been ruined for me! I mean, seriously, what the hell? Yeah Scream was a boring, silly series, but wasn't that your chance to use the interested it generated and point people towards the real gems of the genre and maybe enlighten a few potential budding movie buffs?

I think you're smart, and enormously talented and funny, but if you let a movie franchise ruin what you feel made you special and unique just because it shone the spotlight on the things you loved and were passionate about, well... it's just kind of distressing that someone would do that to themselves.

HankMan:
You really cut into that one Bob

I'm glad he took a stab at it. I can gladly say I've never payed seen any of these. I saw the fist one and it sucked.
Although think he mispronounced the title. Shouldn't it be Screfourm? He made it sound like Screforum. It bugged me a little.

joebear15:

icame:

lol the irony

With that logic it is impossible to comment on how anyone negatively acts without coming off as such.

While I think the 90's was a pretty good decade, I can think of various reasons why is was bad.

Music: Good - It was the decade of Grunge, which was the final death nail to Glam metal and West Coast Gangster rap became more mainstream. Bad - Grunge was short lived due to Kurt Cobain's suicide, the West Coast & East Coast rap war became too serious and it took the lives of Tupac and Biggie. Bubblegum pop soared thanks to Brintey Spears and boy bands like N'sync and Backstreet boys. Also, Vanilla Ice, Rico Suave, and MC Hammer stayed for too long. Woodstock 99 was terrible.

TV: Good - Sort of MTV's golden era. Thanks to Beavis and Butthead, TRL, Headbangers Ball, and Yo MTV Raps. Kids cartoons were great thanks to Nicktoons, Fox Kids cartoons, and Kids WB. That, and the last few years of the decade brought the Anime boom from Cartoon Network. Saturday Night Live was fantastic. Was also the decade we saw the rise of South Park, The Critic, and King of the Hill. Tales from the Crypt. The "Stone Cold era" of WWF. Xena and Hercules were there. We also had Friends, Fresh Prince of Bell Air, and Senfield. Bad - 90210, Power Rangers went on for too long until Pokemon killed it's fame, MTV started their way into reality tv dumbness with Real World, Daria, Fox Kids got rid of many of their best cartoons too soon, Headbangers Ball and Yo MTV Raps got cancelled too soon. Cop Rock. Fox News started. Jerry Springer. Barney and Teletubbies.

Films: Good - Goodfellas, Jurassic Park, Free Willy, Edward Scissorhands, Boyz in the Hood, New Jack City, Dazed and Confused, Silence of the Lambs, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Lawnmower Man, Wayne's World, Reservior Dogs, Reality Bites, Pulp Fiction, Terminator 2, Forest Gump, Toy Story, Braveheart, Fight Club, Titanic, Independence Day, Species, Austin Powers, Armageddon, Total Recall, The Big Lebowski, Blade, There's Something About Mary, Varity Blues, Starship Troopers, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the Matrix, Office Space, Se7en. Bad - Everything else. Especially Godzilla and Phantom Menance if you believe it ruined the franchise.

Politics: Good - Bill Clinton got into office after 12 years of Republican presidency and the Cold War was over. Bad - Newt Gingrich and the Republican controlled House, Monica Lewinski scandal, the rise of Right wing radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh, and the debate over political correctness.

Video games - Playstation, FFVII and FFVIII, N64 and Mario 64, Dreamcast, and Mortal Kombat. NES and Sega Genesis were ok but had their problems. Bad - Arcades became almost non-used, Sega couldn't get their act together, Dreamcast died, the Mortal Kombat controversies and anger over them thanks to Joe Libermann and Jack Thompson.

And of course, that's just a sample. Still, unlike Bob, I quite liked the 90's. Still, there was quite a few things that sucked about it, but then again, almost every decade has something that sucked about it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here