Talking About Game of Thrones

Pages PREV 1 2

EvilPicnic:

And saying that, Tito, maybe you should mention something in the OP about not revealing spoilers in open posts, as many potential future seasons of plot twists have already been revealed to those who've read the novels...

I second the motion. I have read the books, but I was dismayed at seeing open spoilers in the thread. Especially since the title of the thread asks for non-readers to provide their comments on the show

ThreeKneeNick:
Hey, you can't put "Does the HBO adaptation work if you haven't read the books?" on the front page, and then say "spoilers, stop reading here" in the article >:

I assume that any one who has read the books can't have it be spoiled.

EvilPicnic:
Unfortunately I neither have a TV, nor friends with Sky Atlantic, nor access to an internet connection that doesn't block *ahem* alternative ways of watching the show. So I am stuck waiting for the box-set for the mo.

However, I urge all who can to try and catch it, as I have heard great things, have been following the production for aaaages (and approve), and am a MASSIVE fan of the books. Really, the story is great.

And saying that, Tito, maybe you should mention something in the OP about not revealing spoilers in open posts, as many potential future seasons of plot twists have already been revealed to those who've read the novels...

btw,

this. completely. especially what you've got in the spoiler tags there. i've been re-reading the series for like the 4th time, and i'm now completely sure that's the case. if it's not, it's certainly the biggest red herring in the history of red herrings.

The Daneyers and the Drogo scene really, really irked me. And I kept reminding my brother--a non-reader of the novel--about that. Drogo was NOT supposed to be gentle. From my recollection of the hovel, he just "took" her. He just bent her over and had his way with her.

But, yeah, the last scene with

really snagged a lot of people who hadn't read the novel. And they will be back for more.

I haven't read the books, but the show didn't click for me.

In all honesty it just felt bland and generic, a sort of Lord of the Rings lite. None of the dramatic goings on had me interested or pondering, but rather bored. The one character I thought had something there was the dwarf brother, but his few minutes of screen time weren't enough to keep me hooked.

On top of that I think the nudity is a problem. I have NOTHING against sex or nudity or swearing or whatever have you in my fiction, I'm an adult, I can deal with those themes. But GoT felt adolescent about it, almost as if the audience not seeing a pair of titties every scene would send them to other channels with disgust. It came across as leery, which has always been one of the biggest turn-offs for me in any fictional creation.

Also, I don't really have the foggiest about these Whitewalker/others/chaps, and not in an "Hmm? Colour me intrigued" way, but more in an "Ah, so here's the generic force of evil" way.

I'll watch the next couple of episodes to give it a full and fair chance, but not impressed with what I've seen so far.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here