Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . . . 30 NEXT

I thought that when people say they want the "Citizen Kane of video games", they just meant they wanted a video game that was really good. Like what Citizen Kane was to movies, this desired game would be for video games. I don't think a equivalence of the two media is implied.

It's clearer if you use an analogy with less similar terms; what we want is the fillet mignon of video games.

At about two minutes in I started to wonder when it was going to end, and that tells you pretty much what I thought of the video.

If he actually fleshed out an idea or two instead of the same thing over and over and over again it might be worth listening to, dunno about watching.

On another note this guy needs to relax, watch his mouth and get some real pictures, the fewer of male genitalia the better.

StraightToHeck:
I dunno about the Steven Spielberg of the gaming industry, but I believe we've found its Lewis Black

Loud, politically biased, and mostly unfunny? O.o

(Sorry, personally can't stand the guy. :P)

A whole lot of a gas bagging about a relevant intertextual reference for what was a very intertextual game. Basically the guy said that music shouldn't make videos as that isn't music when it can add enjoyment to the piece when done well. I think by shoehorning games as just games you create just as big a problem as if you were to make a filmic game, or a musically driven game or a game in a surrealist art style. I'm sorry Jim but all media is a product of other media whether it likes it or not, it's all part of the human experience and it all seeks to capitalize for good or bad or what stimulates a human being. If a cut scene can excite someone by using cinematic techniques, if a game wants to include a short film to further the plot, go ahead as ultimately the game will be better for it.

My new order:
Zero Punctuation
Extra Credits
Jimquisition

The rest are teeth grittingly bad. Let's hope you can keep it up next monday!

I say give him a chance, but this particular episode wasn't exactly great. We were simply staring at an unchanging guy lecture us for five minutes, while he talked about a topic that's neither new nor particularly interesting.

I think that this has potential, but it's going to have to go a long way to achieve it.

well, extra credits does this better, but an extra voice is never bad

Thought it was kinda rubbish tbh, went over a already done-to-death point. It seemed to come off as a low quality extra credits that didn't make as much sense and used swearing as it's 'catch'.

I honestly don't think this has a place here.

RowdyRodimus:

Ummm, I've been her over a year now. Unless that was directed to the person I quoted in which case I apologize for the misunderstanding there.

Ahh sorry I was looking at someone else's join date instead of yours. So yeah it was more directed at all the people that joined today.

So, if I join the Publisher's Club, does this go away? I'd pay for that.

Okay, that was kind of inflammatory and I don't want to come off as a troll here, so let me justify my points a bit. I just don't see why this video exists. It doesn't seem to quite fit with the Escapist's usual fare at best, and seems to be redundant at worst - there's already a sweary British game commentator on this site, and he's a lot better at his job than Jim. We already have MovieBob doing his Big Picture thing for general geek culture commentary - and he knows a lot more about movies too. That's why his name's MovieBob.

It sounded bad, it looked worse, but I could overlook that if he was at least making some good points. As it is, all he was saying was stuff Yahtzee, the Extra Credits crew and probably even MovieBob have already said. We know games aren't movies, Jim. You're not saying anything new. Did anyone here feel their eyelids peel open for the first time before the truth of this glorious revelations? Didn't think so.

If this was funny, I'd be a lot kinder about it. If he'd dressed it up as a review, even, that'd somehow leave me feeling it was more justified to be on the Escapist. He could have even couched the point in some sort of entertainment - say, the way ENN or SAGS do - and it'd be more enjoyable. The point he's making isn't nuanced or detailed enough to really justify devoting a video of this length purely to it. He just restates his assertion, fumbling in places, over and over.

This is not culture commentary. This is a nutter shouting at trees in the park.

I could probably go on, but it's probably for the best I don't.

Pointless, boring and through all rubbish, sorry mate. I don't understand why this is needed, when we have better shows doing the same thing.

Try actually raising some points next time instead of repeating 'because it's/you're/they're stupid'

Mix it up, put more movement or colour into your videos. Please don't just stand there, your delivery is painful. If you CAN'T change your delivery then drop it, write an article instead.

Be Careful! You screwed up the one line about Hideo Kojima and that distracted from the rest of the video.

Add some credibility to your argument by looking at both sides. Where were our comparisons? Our positive points? Our clarification of WHY people say the things they do?

I'll watch the next few and hope for improvements, but so far it's a 'meh' from me.

MissPixxie:
Pointless, boring and through all rubbish, sorry mate. I don't understand why this is needed, when we have better shows doing the same thing.

Try actually raising some points next time instead of repeating 'because it's/you're/they're stupid'

Mix it up, put more movement or colour into your videos. Please don't just stand there, your delivery is painful. If you CAN'T change your delivery then drop it, write an article instead.

Be Careful! You screwed up the one line about Hideo Kojima and that distracted from the rest of the video.

Add some credibility to your argument by looking at both sides. Where were our comparisons? Our positive points? Our clarification of WHY people say the things they do?

I'll watch the next few and hope for improvements, but so far it's a 'meh' from me.

I found his silly theatrics annoying, but he was spot on on the rest save for some little bit of needed depth.

As for the "credibility" bit, c'mon--really? Comparisons abound. But why should he give them to you? You already know them, or have heard about them.

The guy is only giving his oppinion, not giving a dissertation.

unabomberman:

MissPixxie:
Zing!

I found his silly theatrics annoying, but he was spot on on the rest save for some little bit of needed depth.

As for the "credibility" bit, c'mon--really? Comparisons abound. But why should he give them to you? You already know them, or have heard about them.

Because I don't know who he is, neither will a lot of people from around here. If he's got a show, I want to know what qualifies him to talk about the industry, I don't want to hear some bumbling idiots opinion. In order to give your opinion to the masses it should at least have some grounding.

Sure, I know what he's talking about, but he's not adressing ME, as I know the argument. He's ranting at the people making the mistakes, and perhaps they DON'T know the comparisons. They're more likey to walk away than to listen, then nothing gets learned.

This was neither funny nor insightful.

Did anyone else think "Oh my god, the Rev Rants are back and Anthony is Jim!"?

Funny thing about this is that I actually agreed with pretty much everything he said for a change when usually that only happens when he's talking about Dynasty Warriors games...

Speaking of which, do something about Dynasty Warriors games!

hey look, it's Ricky Gervais trying to be Charlie Brooker.

Exactly how relevant do you think this rant is? Especially when it's aimed at the members of a damned Gaming Website. We already know this, it has been covered in bigger and better ways.

Also, silence is a good thing, that was a near solid block of you making noises and throwing your hands around.

Nice, but not great. Then again, it is only the first episode. Let's give the guy some time to get into some sort of pace.

Oh, well.

Fronzel:
I thought that when people say they want the "Citizen Kane of video games", they just meant they wanted a video game that was really good. Like what Citizen Kane was to movies, this desired game would be for video games. I don't think a equivalence of the two media is implied.

It's clearer if you use an analogy with less similar terms; what we want is the fillet mignon of video games.

Actually, I thought the reference was implying a video game that raises the medium by creating within it a credible artistic achievement, as Citizen Kane is often credited as doing for films.

Either way, he's missed the point.

Wodan:
Hmmm... Decently put argument... Somewhat interesting and novel orator... I am intrigued to see more of what this series and what Jim can offer.

hahahaha do you actually talk like that?

Galliam:
His points were good, but I got distracted by his accent and glasses.

And the music in the back ground and the poor camera angle and Jim's constent use of "urms and ahh's"

A few good point's but they've all been brought up before in vastly funnier and more creative ways. This is a pass for me

He might be able to write in the style of a d-bag, but he sure can't deliver a voice that sounds properly like it. I'll take Barry Shitpeas' voice from Charlie Brooker's shows any day over this one when it comes to douchebaggery.

I like him, so ill keep checking his videos out each Monday, but he needs something more in his videos than just him...standing there...talking into his camera and microphone for 5 minutes.

But I like him because well, he's got some good points.

Wow, you're not popular dude. I can see why. You suck.

That said, it's your first vid. I'll check out the next few you do, until you figure out your 'thing'.

MissPixxie:

unabomberman:

MissPixxie:
Zing!

Because I don't know who he is, neither will a lot of people from around here. If he's got a show, I want to know what qualifies him to talk about the industry, I don't want to hear some bumbling idiots opinion. In order to give your opinion to the masses it should at least have some grounding.

Sure, I know what he's talking about, but he's not adressing ME, as I know the argument. He's ranting at the people making the mistakes, and perhaps they DON'T know the comparisons. They're more likey to walk away than to listen, then nothing gets learned.

Is that an expectation you place every time someone opens their mouth on the internet?

Besides, he's not really ranting at anyone in particular any more than he is making a general exposition of a particular kind of thought process. It's a basic take-it-or-leave-it schtick and not really fodder for argument. He's acting a character that is telling people, plain and simple. You do not adopt an abrasive public persona to have a dialogue with folk.

It's up to you if you take him seriously or not.

The only thing I found objection to was his silly, unfunny theatrics. The rest was pretty much okay for what he wanted to do and he made his case--not perfectly, but he did it. And it was more than clear.

CAPTCHA?: image

I like the British man.

Oh dear.

I hope MovieBob doesn't sound this annoying to Amercans.

At least Yahtzee doesn't have to worry about another Brit stealing his crown. Although the One Life Left radioshow/podcast is superb (so their are other Brits who can talk about video games without making you want to vomit).

Who ever this guy is he really needs to rehearse before recording more than once did he refer to either games or movies when he meant the other. As far as the war and peace of movies I pretty sure thats what gone with the wind was trying to be.

Anyways this games as movies stuff is mainly a AAA problem; and there are pretty good indie games out there right now which can completely distract you from these worthless AAA games...
Anyways off to play more Din's Curse

The only thing that seems to make this unique is his extremely British accent.

Honestly? Couldn't stand him. I'll tune in if he trends on a topic that hits close to my heart, but otherwise I'll skip.

CrashBang:
Yeeeah I got his point, not sure his point needed to be five minutes long, though. Loved the Zorn and Thorn music though so he gets some kudos for that... I guess

AngryMongoose:

Movies are not videogames, and videogames are not movies!
Movies are videogames not, and videogames are movies not!

You made my point better than I did, well done sir!

It's satisfying to recognise good videogame music. Plus does anyone else think Jim resembles Penn Jillette?

Brainst0rm:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.

What joke? There was no joke, he was making a point, not a joke.

BlindChance:
Ugh. I detest Jim Sterling's style and delivery, but;

My only gripe would be this: He should have brought up the developers doing it right. You can't bring up this topic and not discuss Clint Hocking, or Jason Rohrer. These guys have been eloquent voices for making games their own art form.

Very right in what you say. A discussion falls flat on its face when only one side is looked at.

Great, another snarker. Too bad, this one's not really funny. He should also think about some pictures, instead of him just talking to the microphone. This is kind of show presentation works with Lisa Foiles, because she's hot. Here it doesn't, because his looks combined with his 'ironic' speech makes me sick.

But anyway, going down to the point he tried to made:

1) I disagree that David Cage or Hideo Kojima are thinking that games are inferior to movies, because otherwise they would be making films and not the games. "Film-like narrative" and "Hollywood values" doesn't imply it in any way. It just tells you - we want to make a game that looks like a movie, because it's our style. Is it really that wrong?

2) I am disgusted, that to make his negative point about Heavy Rain, he used two random moments to tear away the context. Why didn't he show Ethan chopping off his finger while talking about emotional experiences? Or deciding whether to kill the drug dealer or not? Why, of all things, did he show Ethan brushing teeth in a TUTORIAL (which was supposed to be like that, so you get used to the controls before we'll need them in way more serious situations) when talking about a branching storyline? That's easy - because they were actually true, but pissed him off (for some unknown reason. None of those points have anything to do with games looking like films), so he had to dismiss them somehow. That's like I would try to make a point, that let's say 'The Clockwork Orange' is a mindless, brutal film with no qualities, and shown you a few 'beat up' scenes to prove that point. It's wrong. It's they way of the Internet troll or ignorant, NOT someone featured on the Escapist.

I agree that games can be a superior medium, because we are involved in the action, instead of just watching it, but come on. There's nothing wrong with a movie-like game. I'm not saying that every game should be like that, but why not have one once in a while? It's an interesting experience. Heavy Rain is my favorite game of all time, and that's precisely because of this emotional experience and branching storyline, he laughed off in a worst way possible.

Strike one. I'll see the next two episodes out to see if it wasn't just a false-start, but I don't expect myself to watch it in the foreseeable future.

yay another guy ranting while being paid by the escapist...maybe i should hook a mic up to myself and i could get paid...

but seriously...only good thing i can say is the music, found myself listening to that more than jim...time to go play FFIX i think...

I approve of the topic and your style, enjoyed much.

Honestly I don't think they guy made a point, he just complained for five minutes that games don't fit a black and white definition where referencing another form of media is inappropriate. Games are influenced by film in the same way that lyricists for bands are influenced by authors. If referencing this fact contextualizes an argument, be my guest, don't make outlandish statements like games shouldn't try be movies because they are not movies. Well duh, that doesn't stop games developers drawing influence from cinema, I bet a lot of plots are influenced by authors as well, many movies at the moment are obviously influenced by comics. Get off your high horse.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . . . 30 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here