Jimquisition: Videogames Are Not Movies, Get Over It

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 30 NEXT

Wodan:
Hmmm... Decently put argument... Somewhat interesting and novel orator... I am intrigued to see more of what this series and what Jim can offer.

In my opinion he looks a bit too young for me to take him seriously, he just comes off as an angry 20-something year old in a suit with a mic, but we will see, I usually give shows a month+ to come into their own.

Also, hate the sunglasses, not sure why, but I do

That was...interesting. I was a bit surprised at the low quality of the video in comparison to other Escapist video series, it wasn't very entertaining to watch Jim just stand there talking. Aside from that, this still comes off as something that would have been better in writing. At some points profanity seemed to be peppered in for no real point, although some of those uses fit in quite well, others stuck out as unnecessary. I may be acting a bit overly sensitive on that part, but it is something that jumped out at me, and I'm no stranger to Yahtzee's videos, in which I find the use of profanity timely and funny.

The brief pop-ins of quick paint drawings didn't seem to contribute to anything either. The quick clips of Heavy Rain in between reading the items on the list were helpful in illustrating the point, and were humorous in the context presented. A half-second flash of penis-man didn't make me laugh or think anything more on the point, but derailed my thoughts and had me asking myself 'why the hell did that get put in there? Was there a point?'

Forgive me if I'm coming off as overly critical, I think I've been spoiled on the well-thought out rantings of Yahtzee and the in-depth analysis of Extra Credits, while this series seems to be an in-between of those two. As with anything on The Escapist, I'll give it at least 3-4 weeks to see if it improves or it grows on me.

Aside from the criticism, I agree with the message he's trying to convey. Video games are different than other mediums, constantly comparing them to film is destructive. It wasn't exactly a controversial issue, but I doubt it's something most gamers think about, and is definitely food for thought.

Not bad for a first episode.

Lose the mirror shades, they're just distracting and tacky, and a bit less badly drawn cocks next time. Otherwise a good video overall, and I broadly agree with what he's saying this time too.

Hmm dunno, was alright. And his obvious point is obvious.

But I prefer it when people actually focus mostly on their topic and actually give interesting informations or point of views instead of using vulgar speech in order to be funny and separate themselves from other guys who do the same stuff. I'll take Extra Credits over this, Zero Punct. and movie Bob any day.

They don't waste much time AND have the most interesting arguments and presentation on top of that ;P

Moriarty:
yeah no. Just because games aren't movies (duh, chairs aren't bicicles either, why don't you make a video about that?) doesn't mean there aren't any parallels between them.

Why all the ranting about heavy rain? It was an experiment trying to combine two different media, what's so bad about that?

Quoted for infinite truth.

I was going make a point about "just because they like one angry brit doesn't mean they're all good," but a lot of you seem to like this guy so...

Honestly, I can go to the local University campus if I want to hear a fat person complain about video games. This guys delivery and the way he's throwing his hands around just irritates me and we already have Extra Credits on board to make a logical commentary on the gaming industry. Getting an angry man to try and do the same job is going to be less effective.

Does he have to be so right yet so unrepentingly repellent and obnoxious in apperance and delivery as to almost demolish his rightness?

We're really screwed as a medium if the only people talking sense are themselves beyond mad.

Erm... no-one is saying Games are films. Everyone knows they are different but that doesn't mean they can't have elements of each other in them though.

Heavy Rain is a game with cinematic elements but its still a game. MGS4 has cinematic elements in it but it's still a game. The same goes for films with elements inspired by games. No one is dumb enough to say Films and Games are the same, well except for this Jim guy.

Whether videogames are Art is a completely different question to 'are Games the same as Movies?' And one which Jim clearly wasn't answering despite his Roger Ebert blurt at the end.

LiquidGrape:

Woodsey:

[...] David Cage; that man is such an egotistical twat.

At this year's GDC, Cage held a presentation called "Creating an Emotional Rollercoaster in Heavy Rain". He proceeded to dismiss the entire history of the medium by reducing virtually every game preceeding Heavy Rain to a collection of ten verbs.
Jump, run, shoot, roll and six others he didn't seem interested in specifying.

Yes, Cage is delusional dick.

Mind you, people treat Heavy Rain like its the go-to game for wonderful writing, so at least he does get it from somewhere, no matter how retarded that somewhere might be.

Thank you Capitan Obvious. video game are not movies?

NO WAY, STOP THE PRESSES.

swearing doesn't make you funny nor does it help your case.

not watching again

Yay, another video series about how video games are supposed to have a deeper meaning other than just being fun. I understand that video games can have phenomenal narratives, writing, direction, etc, but must we constantly have this argument about the whole "games as art" thing?

Go ahead, talk about how I have a lack of higher thought process or whatever. I'll be over here getting my kicks with Bulletstorm (pun not intended).

Wow, that was annoying... Add this one to the list of Escapist video series I'm never gonna watch again. The best part of the whole video was the FF9 music.

It's not that I have a problem with his message (though I did enjoy Heavy Rain, I agree that movies and games are 2 very different mediums), it's that this guy is annoying as hell. He's trying WAY too hard to be edgy. I guess maybe he's going for that "I'm an asshole and that makes me cooler than you" thing, but whereas with Yahtzee I wish the videos were several times longer so I could hear more of his rants, the only reason I finished this video was because I was listening to the music.

Destructoid can keep him.

Jimothy Sterling:
Obviousness of subject: Not every episode is going to be something hotly contested. Sometimes it's just stuff that pissed me off and hopefully people can feel cathartic in hearing it voiced by someone else. That said, future episodes will have more debatable and touchy topics to discuss, so it won't just be a fat man stating the obvious.

The thing here is that the obvious subject matter makes interesting discussions difficult but not impossible. I'd say the biggest problem wasn't the obviousness of the subject matter or the lack of contention, it was that it was a superficial look at obvious subject matter with no point of contention. Basically here you had a fairly obvious right or wrong answer and instead of going into more detail you just left it at saying what was right.

That's basically like a maths teacher telling a kid that says that 2+2=5 that they're wrong and not explaining why. You effectively missed the most important part of the debate, and with it being such a comprehensively covered debate that is a big miss.

Even with interesting topics if you only superficially explain your opinion people are not going to be entertained or educated which are the 2 main staples of compelling viewing.

Do we really need another soapbox series? What with all the columns, Extra Credits (it's a very intelligent one, and I love it, but that's all it is), Big Picture, and ZP gradually turning into one as well, I think this is too much.
Especially with the random swearing and general meh tone. Probably won't be watching again.

SageRuffin:
Yay, another video series about how video games are supposed to have a deeper meaning other than just being fun. I understand that video games can have phenomenal narratives, writing, direction, etc, but must we constantly have this argument about the whole games as art" thing?

Go ahead, talk about how I have a lack of higher thought process or whatever. I'll be over here getting my kicks with Bulletstorm (pun not intended).

Actually, I think you'll find Sterling is on your side in that particular question.

Personally, I find his angle depressing and reductive.

"Mindless fun is the most artistic form of expression I can think of."
I honestly do not know how to respond to that.

The Escapist approves.

Finally a GOOD video series on this site. I hate most of the videos here (Yahtzee and EC in particular) but thank God someone realized that Sterling is honest in what he says (unlike the other British guy that bitches for the sake of views) and gave him a slot here.

I watched the first 10-15 seconds. Sorry Jim you really get on my nerves.

Not a very original theme, but well put. Would like a little more engagement than just a guy wearing some glasses in-front of a wall...if that's part of the charm, i missed it completely.

Woodsey:

LiquidGrape:

Woodsey:

[...] David Cage; that man is such an egotistical twat.

At this year's GDC, Cage held a presentation called "Creating an Emotional Rollercoaster in Heavy Rain". He proceeded to dismiss the entire history of the medium by reducing virtually every game preceeding Heavy Rain to a collection of ten verbs.

Mind you, people treat Heavy Rain like its the go-to game for wonderful writing, so at least he does get it from somewhere, no matter how retarded that somewhere might be.

Honestly, while I do like David Cage, even I admit that he can be a pretentious twat once in a while. I like to think that you need a little bit of pretentiousness to move any medium forward, and few developers are as passionate (or loud) as Cage about trying to move this medium forward. Still, he never really knows when to shut his mouth or what should come out of it.

Rebecca Mayes was nice...

Slangeveld:
O.0 Intriguing person. Uh. And yes, video games aren't movies/otherwayaround.

Was this rant inspired solely by Heavy Rain? :O

Given how much Jim rags on Heavy Rain, it would hardly be surprising.

An overweight british guy in front of a white background holding a mic...

Yeah...

This wasn't funny (as moviebob and yahtzee tend to be) nor was it particulary smart (as Extra Credits tends to be), and the points he made have already been done (and better) by many people on the Escapist not so long ago... and the throwback to Ebert at the end, by now that's practically ancient history.

Not impressed at all. Guess we'll see if it picks up next week.

I needn't say much more then I agree hole-heartedly.
Also I think the new guy is a keeper ; ).

Not as funny as Yahtzee or the Unskippable guys, not as insightful as James Portnow or MovieBob, and the presentation style is godawful.

I will be giving this one a miss. And why does Extra Consideration keep getting posted so late?

So...uh. Okay.

I really didn't like the presentation of this. I watched it for a few minutes or so and decided to move on to another tab leaving the audio on. So I missed...badly drawn penises apparently. I DID happen to catch a glimpse of the bad MS Paint work. As an artist I am neither impressed or amused by bad MS Paint. You could probably find someone to draw decent graphics for you cheaply if need be.

But anyway, ramble aside I definitely don't feel like I missed anything by ignoring the visual aspect of this. I agree with folks that this could be an article or a pod cast rather than a video. You COULD probably polish this up to be a good video but right now as is, not feeling it.

Also I found the choice of topic rather odd one to bolt out of the starting gate with. The whole Ebert, games and movies debate is something that seems rather old news now.

Just my brief two cents, it is the first video so I'm going to keep an eye out and see if this gets better.

Brainst0rm:
So...it's entertaining because he says "fuck" a lot?

'Cause, otherwise, I feel like I've missed the joke.

Don't worry about it, there wasn't a joke to miss.

OT:I don't think the fact that games are inherently different to films means that they can't take inspiration from film. For instance, films make incredible use of visuals.

To quote what I wrote elsewhere

Color me unimpressed, whilst he might have some charisma in written form (thats up for speculation) he doesn't have any on camera.

It was hyped in the title credits, the title itself and to a latter extent the buzz around here as a master ranter, someone who oozed arrogance and impatience. What I got was a nervous, campy, whining man, unsubtly attempting to channel Bill Hicks, or at least someone more confident than him, but failing rather miserably.

Stick to proof reading IMO.

On first blush, I'm not a fan. Why did this need to be a video, instead of an article? Did the visuals add anything to the ideas he was putting across? C- at best.

Watching a pasty and abrasive douche-bag from what is categorically & demonstrably the biggest cesspool of misogyny in the gaming sphere making self-evident points without the least bit of eloquence, grace or manners? Not my idea of a good time. And who the fuck wears sunglasses inside? Honestly, The Escapist should not support this man.

Jim Sterling:
That says films has better stories. Look at some of the films out there; that ain't fucking true most of the time.

Yes it is, unfortunately.

Jumplion:

Woodsey:

LiquidGrape:

Honestly, while I do like David Cage, even I admit that he can be a pretentious twat once in a while. I like to think that you need a little bit of pretentiousness to move any medium forward, and few developers are as passionate (or loud) as Cage about trying to move this medium forward. Still, he never really knows when to shut his mouth or what should come out of it.

But he's not moving it forward - if he was then yes, I might stomach him a bit more.

As for him being passionate about it, I'm pretty sure I've heard him actively shun the idea of being called a game developer. He wants to be a film writer/director, and his lack of talent means he never got to do that.

Its just a shame that we put him on a pedestal.

You have got to be kidding me. After gaining a significant level of justified backlash for his absolutely inane "Casual Gamers are Better Than You" article, you guys went and gave him a show? Not only that, but a show that uses the same style as The Big Picture with inferior execution? Sorry, but this is a horrible mistake. You have gaming commentary down to a perfect little trifecta with Extra Credits, Zero Punctuation, and MovieBob/Big Picture. This guy will only detract from your site.

I agree that games need to find their own voice, but we'd be crazy to throw out everything learned from over a century of film-making. We can't ignore basic cinematic techniques just because we're worried about seeming inferior. I agree that we need games that embrace the inherent interactivity of the medium and focus on player agency in ways that films (as a passive medium) cannot. But I also believe that games that tell stories in a cinematic fashion have an important place as well. I think we'd be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if we reject those methods in an foolhardy bid for "purity" in game storytelling.

Also, this video makes me wonder if all I need to get featured on a site like this is a British-y accent. I didn't watch the video, only listened, but he basically sounded like the average tl;dr forum post. MovieBob brings his knowledge of films and comics to the table and Yahtzee is funny and critical in ways we don't always expect (with fun videos to boot). I have to wonder what this guy brings to the table. I suppose time will tell.

No.

Just no. I started out by going "wtf...?" at the intro bit, and slowly falling asleep as he began talking. By the time it was 1 minute in I was literally about to faceplant into my keyboard. AND I HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE NEXT TO ME I'VE BEEN DRINKING. There is absolutely no humor here, and any points of value he DOES touch on, he barely does so, and are points that have already been covered by better, more talented people.

There was absolutely no leadup, and the content was so painful I couldn't sit through the whole thing. I was extremely skeptical just by looking at the title, but my rule is to give everything on this site a chance. If this thing improves over time, fantastic, but I simply won't be returning to it.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

ALSO: Jimquisistion is an absolutely TERRIBLE name. It's impossible to say without awkwardness.

It's inquisition, as in in the Spanish inquisition, but replace the 'n' with an 'm', and start with a 'J'...

It's a terrible play on words, but it's not difficult to say.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 30 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)