Portal 2 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

i'm slightly worried. i'm well into the second act, but they haven't mentioned the excursion funnel at all in act 1 or yet in act 2. does the xbox have a different order or is the review just a little rushed?

Wither:
i'm slightly worried. i'm well into the second act, but they haven't mentioned the excursion funnel at all in act 1 or yet in act 2. does the xbox have a different order or is the review just a little rushed?

The review was just wrong on that part. The funnels don't come into play until the beginning of "Act 3".

Legion:

Selvec:
I have the strongest urge to kick the reviewer square in the ball sack.

Why? If there are spoilers in the video version don't tell me as I didn't watch it in case.

There's at least one mechanic spoiler in that review not covered by the official trailers, plus at the end there was a bit of what I presume was a trailer covered hap-hazardly with a large "Spoiler" box for teh lolz.

I just played the singleplayer campaign on Pc and, just 3 acts on xbox?
I think we had like 5 or 6 on Pc, furthermore the background ~is~ explained, of course you need to have some common sense, knowing that human buildings are incredibly fast lived and without proper maintain will rot rather quickly, add that to a bunch of weird experiments and possible plantgrow and you got yourself the reason.

I however think that the riddles and puzzles are much more variety and harder than the original, I mean the original had almost no hard puzzles, in the main game, lets not take the challenges here into consideration, as that would be unfair, several times I had to stop and think about the steps I need to take, in portal you honestly just take one look and just finished the rooms.

I really liked the humor in this aswell and it finally made sense why portal was all about potatoes.

I'm in Space !

Wabblefish:

Paragon Fury:
Wait...so Portal 2 gets 4 stars, but DAII got 5 stars?

What the hell happened here?

Well I've been playing Portal II pretty much nonstop (just got off a few minutes ago) and I wouldn't say that Portal II deserves five stars (well actually maybe 4.5 stars, I'm not totally sure, I'm loving this game so much so far but there are things that I'm still not sure about that would take a bit of playing to figure out)

But you still make a good point though, Dragon Age 2 should have gotten a 3 or 3.5 (or at least a 4...)

Makes me wonder how the review system works

Then again I suppose reviewing can never be completely unopinionized/biased or perfect

Of course it can't be unopionized, a review IS an opinion thats all it is just a reviewer expressing his opinion on the game, the guy who did DA2 thought it was perfect but the guy who did portal did not, simple.

Hairetos:
So can someone explain to me the difference between PC and Xbox version? Cuz I've played Portal on 360 and seen it on PC and notice no difference.

PC and ps3 get cross platform co-op, xbox doesn't

Paragon Fury:

I once saw Roger Ebert give thumbs down to Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" and thumbs up to "Benji the Hunted" on the same episode of "At The Movies". He expected more from Stanley Kubrick and was disappointed. Benji was clearly a bit of family film fluff that nobody remembers, but it did what it was supposd to so well that he recommended it. Lion cubs being hunted by eagles vs. "This is my weapon, this is my gun..."

I think Valve was held to a higher standard here. Personally, I've spent more time watching/rewatching Cave Johnson's four Investment Opportunity commercials than watching my wife play DA2. The only way I'd be interested in Hawke is if you put a "Hudson" in front of it.

Alex Berry:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

dtthelegend:
whats with the "SCIENCE!" thing?

Dr. Insano, most likely. He helped turn SCIENCE! into a meme.

Let's not forget about Thomas Dolby.

Oh, thank god. I was really starting to worry there.

There is a reason why I said that Portal 2 needs many bonus levels which would be Nintendo Hard.
Well, if you play portal, you can see why. :P

Clankenbeard:

Paragon Fury:

I once saw Roger Ebert give thumbs down to Stanley Kubric's "Full Metal Jacket" and thumbs up to "Benji the Hunted" on the same episode of "At The Movies". He expected more from Stanley Kubric and was disappointed.

Actually, this is quite understandable for me. I didn't find "Full Metal Jacket" very good. It is sharply cut in two almost distinct parts and mostly admired because of production values and some really edgy characters. The film as a whole is underwhelming and doesn't have much of a message, especially compared to other films of both Kubrick and the Era.

No metion of the platform crossing?
hope you guys make a seperate video for the Co-op review

SL33TBL1ND:

ZiggyE:
You use the term 'indie' a lot when describing Portal.

Portal isn't an indie game nor a 'pseudo-indie' game. In fact it was made by one of the largest studios in the PC market.

Valve doesn't have a publisher, that's what an independent studio is. A studio, that is not dependent on a publisher.

They do have a publisher for retail (EA at the moment, Vivendi Universal before). They are not _owned_ by a publisher. Thirdly, Valve is an oddball, as they also act as a Publisher through Steam.

But I would not call them an Indie developer[1] though, as the "indie group" of game developers is usually associated with small developer groups with finite resources.

[1] Although its strictly true.

Flamma Man:
I hate Russ Pitts' reviews, they're so dull and uninformative since all he seems to do is list the features of the game without even going in depth about the mechanics, the art direction, how it effects gameplay, etc.

Seriously, it's so dull and uninteresting it's nauseating.

Oh, and the best part is that he says, "Without spoiling too much...," then of course he shows [SNIP]

Actually, I stopped watching the review as soon as the "Spoiler Alert" came up. I had no clue what was going to happen in game until I read your post. You sir, were the first spoiler for me. IRONIED!

No big whoop. It doesn't bother me. But, you might "spoiler" your post to avoid flaming from other forum purists. Cheers.

I was worried that the gameplay might 'drag on' once the sequel was to become a full fledged game. Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to playing this and I am currently eagerly awaiting my shipped pre-ordered copy,

You know, I don't read comments much, but I gotta say, the last line in the video from glados made me laugh so hard a noodle came out my nose. I was kinda meh on this game, content to wait for a steam sale or a retail price drop, but that line makes me want to go out and get it today.

"I think we can put our differences behind us. For science... You monster."

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah*GASP*hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Skade:
Actually, this is quite understandable for me. I didn't find "Full Metal Jacket" very good. It is sharply cut in two almost distinct parts and mostly admired because of production values and some really edgy characters. The film as a whole is underwhelming and doesn't have much of a message, especially compared to other films of both Kubrick and the Era.

DERAILED! Agreed on all points. It paled compared to his other 1980's masterpiece The Shining. (Damn, Nicholson can pull off crazy like nobody else.) 2001:A Space Odyssey, Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove (a personal favorite)--all much better films.

My point is that opinions are ALL subjective. (And I realize that your post is in no way an arguement against this.) People remember Full Metal Jacket. It was culturally distinct (like it or hate it) because of its director. Benji The Hunted has long since been forgotten. But that's the one Ebert gave a thumbs up to.

Portal 2. Could it live up to besting the original? Here's a question: Can anybody name a movie series in which the second installment was better than the first?

(I'll say Evil Dead 2, but that's a personal preference of campy horror over true indie horror. And let's be honest, Evil Dead 2 was really more of a remake of Evil Dead than a sequel.)

Today! the PS3 version comes out!

squeeeeee

I am so sorely disappointed by this game :( I didn't exactly have high hopes and it failed to reach them in spectacular fashion.

It's just not the same. It's not nearly as fun with the cut-away loading scenes (that have to happen every other minute. Seriously Valve, move past the micro-loading. It makes everything disjointed), the pain-in-the-ass Orb thing, the lack of enjoyable puzzles.

Not to beat an already bruised and dead horse: Valve could have spent this time making a game that is desperately wanted instead of making games that are essentially DLC.

Sorry, Valve. I'm just not impressed.

Well, I've only been playing for two hours (or so Steam says, it felt like an eternity), and I'm already up to...

Either this game is longer than I thought, or I am just blitzing through it. O_O

Someone tell me why they reviewed the Xbox version when it's the PS3 version that gets the steam and cross-platform features.

Avaloner:
I just played the singleplayer campaign on Pc and, just 3 acts on xbox?
I think we had like 5 or 6 on Pc, furthermore the background ~is~ explained, of course you need to have some common sense, knowing that human buildings are incredibly fast lived and without proper maintain will rot rather quickly, add that to a bunch of weird experiments and possible plantgrow and you got yourself the reason.

I however think that the riddles and puzzles are much more variety and harder than the original, I mean the original had almost no hard puzzles, in the main game, lets not take the challenges here into consideration, as that would be unfair, several times I had to stop and think about the steps I need to take, in portal you honestly just take one look and just finished the rooms.

I really liked the humor in this aswell and it finally made sense why portal was all about potatoes.

I'm in Space !

Well, the trampoline room was difficult to pull off.

Co-op is awesome, if a bit short (I am however hoping for many many official map packs). The loading times on the PC are really not an issue, and I'm running a 3-year-old dual-core machine.(max graphical settings) It just takes a few seconds for me to load. Can't say I've found the puzzles any less challenging, since I didn't find the original portal's puzzles THAT hard (the normal ones anyway) and we've even found different approaches to the same problem in co-op (each with his own idea). Also orange sucked more. Definitely . Glados said so.

"Reviewed with Xbox360 version"

What? No, no no no no no no no. You fucked up already! The 360 version is the WORST version you could buy! I was playing it last night (and I'm gonna continue playing it when I get back home) and while I do agree that there is WAY more loading, it took no more than 10 seconds at a time for me. I only went 30 minutes in before it was 1:30 in the morning and decided to go to sleep, and I love it already!

I'm only about a third of through (beginning of the second "act"), but so far I'm LOVING it.

The load-time issue may be a console thing. On my (admittedly fairly peppy) PC, the load screens are generally only a few seconds. I'll test it on the ol' iMac tonight (it's a bit longer in the tooth).

Regardless, I'm having a blast, and am thrilled to be back in the world of Portal!

(I just wish I didn't have to work to-day ... I'd probably be done by now, otherwise ... and on to co-op!)

~Cheers!

Very entertaining review. Well done!

Russ Pitts:

"The co-op alone would be well worth full retail price..."
____________________________________________________________________________________

never mention these words to any developer, that'll be the one time their listening. Besides, it sounds too close to the excuse, "well people only buy fps's for the multiplayer therefore we don't have to care as much about the single player".

I did not play the original, so getting this seems to be necessary to preserve my compeers' respect. However I am familiar with the original storyline and retconning the original, in order to make a sequel, is a damnable, damnable thing. It's such a terribly uncreative act by the writers of this game when it has a reputation for innovation and inspiration. So...that really sucks, in short. Considering the protagonist, by the review, goes through the same motions as the first game. So what I am telling everyone's least-hated company is that it could have done better.

Zenode:

John Funk:

OutrageousEmu:
What, thats not a fair complaint?

What if a person haqd based their Orange Box review on the Ps3 version, would that still have been fair?

There's a known difference in quality between the 360 and Ps3 & PC versions of this game, so wouldn't that mean a seperate review would be appropriate?

Zenode:
I must ask, why review the 360 version of the game when its a primarily PC version, or even the new PS3 version to see how it stacks up?

OT: I expected the loading times thing because it happens with every Valve game

The PC version wouldn't have even unlocked until tonight. Valve sent out the 360 copy for review to get around that. Most reviews (at least, ones that coincide with launch) will be based around that.

Didn't the PC version unlock about 3 hours ago? (still not enough time for a launch date review I guess)
It would have been interesting to see a PS3 comparison considering valve were bagging out the PS3 up until the Portal 2 announcement.

Maybe a future article relating to the differences in the future, because im still tossing up between the PS3 and PC versions?

Well, its pretty simple. Wth the PC version you get the PC version. With the Ps3 version you get the Ps3 version and the PC version.

If you have the chance to, its just the more sensible thing to get the Ps3 version.

Clankenbeard:

Portal 2. Could it live up to besting the original? Here's a question: Can anybody name a movie series in which the second installment was better than the first?

Terminator, Godfather, Back to the Future, Spider-Man, the rebooted Batman series, X-Men, Superman, Toy Story, Disneys Amigos, Shrek, Friday the 13th, Star Trek, Star Wars, the Alien series, James Bond.......

ZiggyE:
You use the term 'indie' a lot when describing Portal.

Portal isn't an indie game nor a 'pseudo-indie' game. In fact it was made by one of the largest studios in the PC market.

When Portal was released, it wasn't made specifically by the Valve guys, but just some college students (or something like that, if I recall). Valve merely dressed it up and shipped it out. I think that's why I've often heard it regarded as an "pseudo-Indie" sequel.

OT: Going to get it here in about an hour. Can't wait. Also, the fact that you say there are disappointing bits has me anticipating what Yahtzee will say when he sinks his teeth into this. :D

I just played through the single player campaign. Steam says that I have 7 hours played, and I haven't touched on the Co-op yet (mainly because I don't have anyone to play it with).

I have to say that this was a good enough length, I think it would've gotten somewhat boring if it was drawn out longer. The puzzles are more complex but not really hard. Then again I don't really understand why the reviewer would think that the puzzles in the first game were hard in the first place. They seriously weren't.

The storyline is more engaging and at least just as hilarious as the first game. Stephen Merchant is simply brilliant, he shouldn't be regarded as "that pal of Ricky Gervais" after the phenomenal performance he did here. You get to learn more extensively about the history as well as the future of Aperture Science, Glados and even a bit about Chell.

Also, I didn't notice a single reference to cake, which is a good thing. However, I think this will spawn a ton-more references.

It's a solid campaign. I'm in space. [Slow clapping]

EDIT: To be more specific on how long the game took me: 7.4 hours apparently.

WTF Russ? You always hug the big game reviews (well, being editor in cheif has advantages) and most of times you are over demanding, you friken liked halo ost(whateverletercomesnext) and have given "meh" reviews for Portal 2 and even HL2.

Are you not pleased?

bbad89:
Someone tell me why they reviewed the Xbox version when it's the PS3 version that gets the steam and cross-platform features.

And the difference between the versions in a release day review would be?

Sylocat:

Nautical Honors Society:
Why would fans come crying to you? Just curious. Are you an authority on the matter?

It's a paraphrased quote from Reddit's r/gaming.

But I can easily picture the fans bellyaching to anyone who will listen (and plenty of people who won't).

Well I can't argue with that haha

OutrageousEmu:

Clankenbeard:

Terminator, Godfather, Back to the Future, Spider-Man, the rebooted Batman series, X-Men, Superman, Toy Story, Disneys Amigos, Shrek, Friday the 13th, Star Trek, Star Wars, the Alien series, James Bond.......

You were correct until you said Toy Story and Shrek.

Toy Story One is too much of a classic to be overshadowed by anything and Shrek 2 was really bad.

OT: Portal 2 can't be the phenomenon portal 1 was but it can still be a good game on its own merit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here