302: The World in a Chain Chomp

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The World in a Chain Chomp

Look past the tanooki suits, the warp flutes, and that useless anchor, and you'll see how Super Mario Bros. 3 subverts players' expectations to make a game that feels truly magical.

Read Full Article

This I understand. The first one created the world, so already there is magic to it, so upping the ante could only be done in ways like this.

Ah, but it was also all a stage play:

^^truth

man, that angry sun always scared the crap out of me
why was it so menacing?

Kyle Orland:
You'd be forgiven if you didn't know that chain chomps ...

?!?!?!?!?

Dont know what chain chomp is!? HERETIC!!!! BURN THE HERETICS!!!

Hmmm, yeah Mario 3 was awesome...but this story seems little late.

bdcjacko:

Incorrect, Starscream - your visual nano-circuits have neglected to notice the logic in this feature due to the the Nintendo celebration theme of this week's Escapist.

That's a nice crown, by the way. Soundwave is enjoying your inauguration ceremony. Wait... Is that a purple spaceship I see swooping in overhead?

MiracleOfSound:

bdcjacko:

Incorrect, Starscream - your visual nano-circuits have neglected to notice the logic in this feature due to the the Nintendo celebration theme of this week's Escapist.

That's a nice crown, by the way. Soundwave is enjoying your inauguration ceremony. Wait... Is that a purple spaceship I see swooping in overhead?

Pfft whatever you're uncruzamatic.

bdcjacko:

MiracleOfSound:

bdcjacko:

Pfft whatever you're uncruzamatic.

Why you little...

Im'ma let Rumble handle this one.

MiracleOfSound:

Why you little...

Seems more like a job for Ravage

Sucal:

MiracleOfSound:

Why you little...

Seems more like a job for Ravage

Rumble is more eloquent with his retorts. I do not wish to harm Starscream physically, merely abuse his intellect through exploiting his inflated sense of pride.

this is all making me very 80s nostalgic

I replayed SMB3 a couple of months ago, for the first time in well over a decade, and was surprised by the number of series staples which first appeared here.
Kinda miss the days when every new release in a series displayed a noticeable evolution of gameplay mechanics.

MiracleOfSound:

this is all making me very 80s nostalgic

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong

Nintendo knew (And still knows) how to make the little moments in their games some of the most memorable.

"You'd be forgiven if you didn't know that chain chomps - the toothy, black, ball-on-a-chain [***] guard dogs that first appear in level 2-5 - could actually break free from their eponymous chains"~From the article

The word I made into asterisks seems like it shouldn't be there... maybe I'm wrong.

I remember Kuribo's Shoe, even though I never really got an opportunity to use it. Didn't find out the real name till years later, though, so me, my brothers, and my brothers friend would always just call it "The Bootie". Still do, and not just because "The Bootie" is so much more fun to say than "Kuribo's Shoe".

Articles like this remind me why I originally came to the escapist: Well thought out, focused and enlightening articles about games. Awesome.

This article summarizes everything that was cool about SMB3 in the best way I ever see. I support this article.

Sniper430:
"You'd be forgiven if you didn't know that chain chomps - the toothy, black, ball-on-a-chain [***] guard dogs that first appear in level 2-5 - could actually break free from their eponymous chains"~From the article

The word I made into asterisks seems like it shouldn't be there... maybe I'm wrong.

It certainly brings to mind other connotations today.

The author is using "cum" in the Latin sense, as in "summa cum laude". It's pronounced "coom", and means "with" or "also serving as".

I remember playing when I was a little kiddie.. One hour, I just kept replaying 2-5, waiting by the first chomp, and running after it broke free... How did I find out they did that in the first place??

I...had no idea that happened. I feel kinda...lesser, having not known this considering how much time has passed. That said, I'm most certainly not familiar with all of the intricacies of SMB3. I'm good with SMWorld, but SMB3 I've never beaten. I own it, but I haven't beaten it. I...well, summer is coming up. I'll be doing it shortly, I guess. I can't keep living like this.

I lived everything but hte chain chomp, though the anchor was an accident.

greyhoundpoe:

It certainly brings to mind other connotations today.

The author is using "cum" in the Latin sense, as in "summa cum laude". It's pronounced "coom", and means "with" or "also serving as".

Yeah, that was my other reasoning, it just seems so awkward throwing Latin into that sentence, and most sentences for that matter :P

Nice article, 3 is still my favorite Mario game.

Did I read "ball-on-a-chain cum guard dogs?" What is a cum guard guard dog exactly? Also, keep it away from me. :)

What's with these articles on the Escapist that are articles about articles on the Escapist?
It's a pretty awkward form of self-promotion.

They can break free!?

How...how did I not know this?

beema:
What's with these articles on the Escapist that are articles about articles on the Escapist?
It's a pretty awkward form of self-promotion.

No, it's not. They're letting you know there is an article about it in the news feeds without you having to actually go click on it, and instead they give you an overview of the whole thing. I for one love the damn thing as it is very useful to gauge what's inside the actual article.

As for the piece, I loved it. It's good to see more attention paid to history in video games.

Good article, still my favourite Mario game ever. It's a pity, but it just seems like Mario games these days are full of all the usual suspects and feature no real surprises anymore.

unabomberman:

No, it's not. They're letting you know there is an article about it in the news feeds without you having to actually go click on it, and instead they give you an overview of the whole thing. I for one love the damn thing as it is very useful to gauge what's inside the actual article.

As for the piece, I loved it. It's good to see more attention paid to history in video games.

Because it's too hard to find/click on the original story?

I also think the graphic of a chain chomp next to a story headline is more enticing to click on than a tiny thing in the news feed, but whatever.

The article was good. I just don't see the need for articles about articles on the same site.

beema:
SNIP!

So, you're basically saying that reading a headline is better than reading an excerpt to form an informed oppinion? Most reputable news sites do the exact same thing, you know.

It's about choice, you know. If you don't like it don't click it, but I do like to get a little taste to see if I'm gonna read it or not. That's all.

SMB3 is easily my fave NES game of all time.
I played that game to death.

My cousin and I once had a competition to see who would die first. We had to complete the levels in order, taking turns of course. N Spades, Toad Houses, Spades, white ships, etc. belonged to the person who unlocked it, unless it was impossible to avoid. Also - no P-Wings.

Neither lost any level.

Wish there was a game today that could hold a candle to the magic created by SMB3 so many years ago.

SMB3 and SMW are some of my all time favorite games. Did any of you guys find the secret in World 1-3? If you get all the coins in the level a white mushroom house appears on top of level 1-2's marker and it gives you a P-Wing. I nearly wet myself when I was a kid when I figured it out. Completely accidental of course. I want to go to my mom's house and play it now.

Fantastic article. One of the best I have read here in a while. As 'dunam' earlier stated, it's articles like these the originally attracted me to the escapist.

This is the kind of article that really makes me regret letting my mother give away our old NES when I was younger. And our Sega Genesis though I don't miss that quite so much. Sure there are emulators, but it's not quite the same. And none of them gimme a Zapper gun.

Oddly enough I did know about the chain chomp breaking free, though I too am not sure how I found out about it.

Thank you so much for writing this article. Despite however many years that have passed, SMB3 remains one of my most favourite games from Nintendo. It's nice to know that there are others who have cherished this game in the same way.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here