302: Ocarina of Timelines

Pages PREV 1 2 3

more stupidness where is the Mario time line? metroid time line? how about final fantasy time line, IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE!

Guys, aside from a few actual sequels like MM, Zelda games are just the same game over and over again with some tweaks. Even if they are major. Think parallel universes, reboots, and re-imaginings, not coherent single timeline.

GAH! There is no story continuationity thingy! Except for like 2 of the games the rest are not sequels, prequels or any other kind of quels. They said, "Hey Legend of Zelda 1 sold pretty good lets make another. Just a different time, different place and different scenario." THE GAMES DON'T GO TOGETHER!

Note: I'm only very energetic about this because a friend of mine WON'T SHUT UP about the friggen Link storyline. Poon

Let's get the basics.

Skyward sword -> Ocarina of Time Adult Link -> Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks
'-> Ocarina of Time Young Link -> Majora's Mask -> Twilight Princess
We can all probably agree on this. Other games fit within this timeline, or after it. Sorry for all the singular-timeline theorists, the split timeline makes more sense in my opinion.

Different pieces of timelines.

Zelda 1 -> Zelda 2
Oracle of Seasons/Ages, depends on order of play.
Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventures [Not sure which comes first, FS or FSA, never played them]
Can we all agree on this?
That leaves Link's Awakening and ALttP and the placement of previously mentioned timeline segments. I am tired so I will just leave this here for the community to play with.

Has anyone thought of it being multiple time lines instead of just one? You could say there is the main time line that broke down the line and branched off into different ones.

This article doesn't even touch on the entry that, to me, raises the biggest questions about chronology: Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages.

Granted, maybe those "don't count" since they were actually developed by Capcom (meaning they could be considered "fan games"), but the sheer number of references to other Zelda games (unprecedented in any Zelda game made wholly by Nintendo) makes it tricky to reconcile with the other games. The presence of Impa (and Malon and Talon) would seem to place it in the Ocarina of Time branch, but there are several references to other games as well.

This is the second article about an article....why? Seems redundant.

Never understood the need to turn this into a math problem. I always just considered the games to be generally self contained.

In a sense Nintendo re-releases The Legend of Zelda in a way similar to how Disney re-releases old movies after remastering them. It's ultimately the same story occurring over and over again. The actors and the stage might be different but the core workings are always the same.

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask /The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess /The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords /The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

After ocarina of time it spilt into two timelines one following marjoras mask down and the other is windwaker - spirit tracks

As far as I am concerned its the same story told differently with each new iteration of it. There is no time line, the cake is a lie!

I believe in the split timeline theory that most people regard as the most believable timeline.

The Minish Cap, is the first in the timeline as it doesn't mention the hero of time, or the master sword.

Then we move on to ocarina of time.

Then the timeline then splits to the destroyed hyrule, and non destroyed hyrule due to a time paradox created when the hero of time travelled to the future.

Non Destroyed hyrule

After link defeats ganon in ocarina of time, link goes back to his own time to warn zelda about ganondolf's plans. Then the king gets ganondolf sent to death for treason, and then starts the Manjora's Mask storyline when link leaves hyrule to save another place in dire need of his help. Then it moves on to the Twilight Princess storyline, when Ganondolf is getting executed by the sages.

Destroyed hyrule

In the other timeline, the timeline with adult zelda, and that of which link saved. Ganondolf's spirit gets locked away by the sages, but he then later returns. Link leaves hyrule in the start of manjora's mask in the other timeline. So the hero of time isn't around to save everyone again. That's when hyrule get washed under the sea by ganon, which then starts the Wind Waker storyline.

The spirit of the hero of time gets reincarnated, and every hyrule princess is named Zelda out of tradition.

Then the non destroyed timeline goes on to link to the past, links awakening, Oracle of ages/seasons, zelda 2, and then the orginal zelda when ganon is destroyed forever.

The destroyed timeline goes to phantom hourglass, and spirit tracks.

Skyward Sword is rumoured to be the earliest, or the one after the minish cap, and before ocarina of time, but at the moment, it's just pure speculation.

FogHornG36:
While your at it why don't you do a final fanticy time line?! HU?

Because for the most part, they're entirely different stories and take place in entirely different universes. There's no need for a timeline, even though the games may share certain things (characters called wedge and biggs for example).

Long story short, nobody looks for timeline that puts all the FF games together like they do with LoZ because because ISN'T one, whereas the in LoZ they all take place in the same setting and there IS a timeline, the creators themselves have stated there is a timeline, and for the most part and there are various hints at there being timelines in the games.

FogHornG36:
more stupidness where is the Mario time line? metroid time line? how about final fantasy time line, IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE!

The Metroid series does have a timeline actually, and it's pretty straightforward.

I guess people aren't as interested in a Mario timeline because it's generally accepted that the Mario games all take place within one lifetime, Mario's. It's not like the series often zooms ahead 200 years or back 200 years in the mushroom kingdom. However there are people out there that have tried and are interested in a Mario timeline.

Fans just like to think creatively about The Legend of Zelda, and I think Nintendo knows that, so instead of shutting everyone up with a master timeline, they just drop a few hints here and there in-game. They probably didn't plan out a timeline for the series, but they understand that a lot of the fun in the series is trying to connect the dots between games.

The age old "argument" is that there is no timeline, and that we're all just wasting our time thinking about it. Personally I see no harm in it. The fact that people will go to such lengths debating and searching for answers is just a testament to the quality of the games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here