Zero Punctuation: Crysis 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Proverbial Jon:
I also really enjoyed Crysis 2 more than I thought I would!

I'd agree with every one of Yahtzee's points here and I'd say it's an incredibly fair assessment, for a change! I used the throwing mechanic once and once only, blimey how pointless! Also, how useful is suddenly being uncloaked when you stealthily snipe someone? WTF Crysis 2? I was being stealthy, why punish me?

im sure that the cloak is like that so it wouldnt be a game breaker

I need to get off my butt and get this game. It looks like a lot of fun.

Now back to Mortal Kombat...

"i might not be remembering it right...." lol

I'm suprised he didn't point out the glaring AI issues this game has. I frequently dont need to cloak because all the enemies are busy walking into walls and dumpsters.

Gosh this one came out early- usually it comes around at 4am for me, so I cut my losses and watch it the next morning. Not today, however!

You know what though, if Crysis did have a bit where you went into the alien mother ship, rooted through their underwear drawers and embarrassed them infront of their girlfriend's parents... I might have actually stuck with the game. Having NYC as a setting for the sequel made it an instant pass for me. Even Omaha beach doesn't get into as many games as that damned city...

The aliens probably attack America all the time because its probably the "strongest" nation out there given technological standards.

Just finished it
not bad, but not great.
not played the 1st so cant compare
the AI was not great

The aliens probably attack America all the time because its probably the "strongest" nation out there given technological standards.

Wheatley:
I'm suprised he didn't point out the glaring AI issues this game has. I frequently dont need to cloak because all the enemies are busy walking into walls and dumpsters.

maybe that was his point when he said that he basically cloaked the whole game with a cappucino break every so often lol...not saying ur wrong or anything just speculating

So, it wasn't just my over-active imagination that made me think that there'd be a plot point in which you're basically a dead guy acting as a guiding intelligence for the unstoppable suit. I figured it was hyperbole, but I'm glad it was actually utilized in gameplay because it sounded interesting to me.

Maybe I will pick this up after all...

"above average" from yahtzee is a good reason to give it a try i suppose.

End joke was hilarious.

Groovy. I was a bit skeptical that it would just turn out as another 4-hour-exlposion like black ops but now I guess I'll check it out.

And I'm dying to see Yahtzee take on Homefront, which I'm pretty sure incorporates one HalfLife-ish "OmgLookAtAllThisDeathWarIsTerrible" moment then tosses you a .50 cal and lets you loose on a wave of NK soldiers that are getting their faces melted off. Then it rewards you a high-five and a cliffhanger

Ashcrexl:

CptRumGuy:
Great review, but did they discontinue Extra Consideration and Extra Punctuation? They were both missing this week. I thought maybe it was just a break week or something, but the links that were usually underneath the ZP videos aren't there anymore.

yahtzee did an absolutely brilliant extra punctuation this week. it was actually a little moving.

anyways, i want to play crysis 2, but i want to play the first one first, which is out of the question right now. so maybe i'll exercise my patience a bit.

you didn't like west side story, yahtzee?

Huh, yeah I see now...I checked several times yesterday and it never showed up for me. Weird.

Ah awesome. I was actually watching the Pokemon one when I saw on Twitter that this had come out.

What the hell am I doing awake at 2:30am? Sigh. Wish they would release these videos at a nice AEST time.

That sums up how I feel about Crysis 2. Not sure if I'll trade it in or keep it. I too stealthed through the final big battle. It was crazy easy once you have a fully upgraded stealth power. The reason I did this is because he sure has a problem fighting more than three guys at a time, even with armor on.
Noticed how he didn't mention multiplayer. That's because there is no multiplayer. No there's not. Shut up! La la la la I'm not listening!

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Crysis 2

This week, Zero Punctuation wonders why New York City is such a common destruction target.

Watch Video

because doing it in pitsburgh would be too cruel.
unfortunatly i don't have a ps3 or a 360 so i guess it's god of war for me since i have a ps2.

So last night (or this morning, technically) I had a dream where I was hanging out with Yahtzee and his girlfriend (if he has one?) at some kind of convention, where he had taken the concept of Mana Bar on the road. So we were just shooting the shit in the hotel where he was setting up a makeshift Mana Bar. It was awesome.
Apparently my subconscious fiends for ZP every Wednesday without me even knowing it.

Excellent and very funny review, and actually felt very fair and even handed. I also don't understand why Crytek went out of their way to wave their middle finger at PC gamers this time around, considering PC gamers are the only reason they even exist.

SckizoBoy:

WTF IS THIS?!

LOL!
that made me laugh more than this episode of ZP
f'ing captchas!

Well Yahtz, if the story of Crysis 2, with its beaten and bruised protagonist being barely bound by his body suit appeals to you, I whole heartedly recommend Berserk!

It's published by Dark Horse so, if they picked you up, you know they've got to have good taste. Give it a go!

VanQQisH:
I still don't want to play this game until I finish the first one, but I just can't bring myself to finish a game where I can stealth through a bunch of guards, take cover behind some ferns over 200 metres and get shot at because apparently those guards have x-ray vision and telescopic sights.

Yeah, it was quite strange. Not matter how 'realistic' they made the game, I just couldn't understand how the dev who coded the AI though that was a good idea? Same problem with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. .

It isnt fun when you start to consider that the game is cheating.

However, I played most of the game stealthed up, so it was possible. Kind of. Well, you fire off a few shots, gets shot back instantly by 5 guards through foliage. Run to a rock and stealth up again. Bit boring actually.

Good news though, the single player mission was only about 4 hours. I look at the game as a fancy tech demo with a bit of a story to it. Never did buy the expansion pack. Will not buy Crysis 2 either.

Positive review ? Now I need to buy that.

drunken_munki:

VanQQisH:
I still don't want to play this game until I finish the first one, but I just can't bring myself to finish a game where I can stealth through a bunch of guards, take cover behind some ferns over 200 metres and get shot at because apparently those guards have x-ray vision and telescopic sights.

Yeah, it was quite strange. Not matter how 'realistic' they made the game, I just couldn't understand how the dev who coded the AI though that was a good idea? Same problem with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. .

Yeah this always really irked me. Like why bother to make this landscape with so many cover options and attack methods and entry points and a stealth mechanic, and then render them all pointless with godlike AI.
You could kind of make it better by editing some .ini files, but it never really went away. Thankfully in STALKER there's a dedicated modding community and there a bunch of mods out there that drastically improve and rebalance the AI.

Finally someone who shares the same feelings about this game.

I still prefer the first one though...

Ruley:
If he remembered that last part wrong what's to say there were other parts of the review where he incorrectly recalled the games events!?

I remember having intercourse with an alien shemale that had an octopuc head... But again that could have just been me.
Now that I think about it I really should have gotten her number. Damn.

harvz:
...maybe i should finish playing crysis 1 and warhead first, not just the first 5 minutes of each.

If you've got Crysis 1, yeah, go for it.

Warhead was stupid though. As far as the game goes, it's the same, the actual story to it is incredibly dumb and pointless though.

I noticed you used Gordon Frohman's face for the HL2 reference. That's an awesome comic.

SckizoBoy:
Thought he'd rag on it more. Still, I preferred it to Crysis1... which is a bit weird, maybe due to my colour blindness...

WTF IS THIS?!

Hey, those are standard code page 437 characters, just reboot your computer with ANSI.SYS loaded and you shouldn't have any problems entering those in!

Oh, and the video, it was great. Now, many have made the HL2 comparison, and I totally agree with it. I also love how Crysis 2 to a great extent uses the kind of storytelling that Valve used in the Half-life series too, sometimes combined with Bio/System Shock style logs and such, but very rarely taking the control away from the player to tell or show something (except in the tutorial).

MonkeyPunch:

SckizoBoy:

WTF IS THIS?!

What? Do you not have an assortment of furniture keys on your Keyboard?
(just realising that stairs aren't technically furniture...)
That's pretty funny. Glad to see I'm not the only one who has issues with some of the Captcha images.

Inglip demands furnature. We must go to IKEA.

SckizoBoy:

WTF IS THIS?!

It's called a recaptcha.

. . .

Yeah, I'm an asshole.

I'd probably play this game, except I don't have a computer that could handle it. Kinda sad.

I'm glad to hear I was not the only one to cloak my way past the entire final stage.

Apparently, you have to hold the button down to throw stuff farther.
But nothing tells you that and it's only a not important thing so fair enough.

Jonluw:
I'm glad to hear I was not the only one to cloak my way past the entire final stage.

ya I did too. Although half of those final cloaked enemies got caught in holes when trying to fine me so..... maybe cloaking everywhere might not be the best idea if it screws up enemy AI.

Well what do ya know, he actually seemed to enjoy it...ish.

I may pick up this then, heard it was crap a few weeks back (By people on here, mainly) but hell, If Yahtzee kinda enjoys it i might as well.

I liked Crysis 2 as well overall apart from a few issues with all the powers requiring the same energy level.The throwing objects I noticed quite early in the game that you have to hold the button in order to throw it further.

I enjoyed Crysis 2 better than the first,I'm even surprised that I managed to run it with 60 fps's on high settings on my old computer.

All in all,good game and great review Mr.Croshaw.

8bitmaster:

Jonluw:

ya I did too. Although half of those final cloaked enemies got caught in holes when trying to fine me so..... maybe cloaking everywhere might not be the best idea if it screws up enemy AI.

Huh. I didn't have that problem. Though I didn't try to cloak myself past those final enemies to the same degree. Bastards could find me even though I was cloaked, so I just went for running out of their range with cloak, and then waiting for them to catch up to me with a shotgun or something.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here