Zero Punctuation: Crysis 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Crysis 2

This week, Zero Punctuation wonders why New York City is such a common destruction target.

Watch Video

Good humor, and I enjoyed myself watching it.

Count Igor:
Do people not get the fact that they get put on probation for responding too soon?
Good lord people, you're like lemmings.
Anyway, to the video. I approve.
That is all.
(And no, you're not remembering that wrong. It totally happened like that)

Lemming here? Noooooooooooo, no, no, no.
Sir these are free thinking.... um... um... oh God I Can't even finish.

If feels a cheap cloak option, is fucking the game play, maybe he shouldn't use it.

If using short cuts in a game cheated you out of 90 percent of the game, its your fault for using them.

"But Magog I like being sneaky!" than you can't complain when the game delivers it to you properly and you realize "wow this isn't as awesome as I thought it was."

That last line seriously made me LOL.

I really like this episode. I think I'll put Crysis 2 back on the "To-Do" list after all. That just puts me at ......FIVE!! Jesus.

HankMan:
I guess NOT setting a disaster movie in New York in this day and age would seem a little alien to me.

Proverbial Jon:
I also really enjoyed Crysis 2 more than I thought I would!

I'd agree with every one of Yahtzee's points here and I'd say it's an incredibly fair assessment, for a change! I used the throwing mechanic once and once only, blimey how pointless! Also, how useful is suddenly being uncloaked when you stealthily snipe someone? WTF Crysis 2? I was being stealthy, why punish me?

In the words of Oren-shi (Cottonmouth) from Kill Bill.

"You didn't think it'd be that easy did you?"

Secondly I can't believe I find myself liking this game as well....even if it is soley for the purpose of sticking it to the PC crowd...yes I know I'm an asshole, but when you constantly hear about how console gaming is too mainstream and low-brow I get very persnickety.

:P

Haters Gonna Hate

What's up with all the bland shooters nowadays that have 5 enemy types at most? Seriously, enemy variety is pivotal to any game, especially a FPS. But here all you do is fight human troopers for the first third of the game. There are technically two types of human foes: your everyday trooper and a captain type that can call for backup, but that's the only thing they differ at, except skin type of course. The rest of the game mostly consists of fighting samey light aliens, an occasional heavy alien, and a rare boss fight consisting of either an AT-ST-Walker or a HL2 gunship. And yeah, a couple of cloaked super aliens that you fight right at the very end, making that outrageously expensive cloak tracker upgrade worthless, since you don't even need it as you can clearly see them in nano-vision (the local version of thermal vision, oh those pretentious cretins from Crytek)!

The plot is retarded, heroes and villains alike have weak introductions and their reasons are poorly explained. Half of the time I wasn't sure what the hell was going on, despite it being a really simple story. But that simplicity hides behind the massive rubble of unnecessary jargon, poetry and pathos, as if it were trying to be a Shakespearean tragedy. Dudes, let it go, yet another fall of NY is as much a background for a Shakespearean drama as I am a ballet dancer. It's not impossible to pull off, but very, very unlikely and will require a lot more effort put into storytelling that you at Crytek could ever possibly manage. Yes, and stop making that nano t-shirt the pivotal plot device, or as the internet likes to call it nowadays: a mega "MacGuffin". The nano-suit is not a character, the only interest it evokes is purely academic, it's a freakin' tool for Pitt's sake! And the ending is completely, utterly and bastardly moronic. The only cool part I enjoyed about the plot was that the protagonist was in fact a walking zombie supported by the suit.

The game was also way too easy, I played it on the toughest difficulty setting and I can tell you: once you get an armor upgrade, the game becomes a walk in the park. Yes and later on when you acquire faster energy regeneration and reduced cloak energy drain, you can just run past most enemies unnoticed, eliminating the shooting aspect completely. There is another thing: half of the upgrades are completely useless, I will list them here: proximity alarm, air friction, air stomp, covert ops and tracker (plus that cloak tracker I already noted).

There are so many weapons in the game, yet you can only carry two main weapons at the time, which cuts the fun in using them in half.

I am mostly disappointed in one thing though: in earlier interviews with the Crytek guys they clearly stated it would be an open-world sandbox game with story events. When what we finally got was your typical "corridor" shooter. The corridors are spacey this time, but they're still corridors none the less.

I can only say two good things about this game: graphics are nice and shooter mechanics are solid, but really, did you expect anything less from a Crytek game?

Did I also mention this was a blatant HL2 rip-off?

SckizoBoy:
Thought he'd rag on it more. Still, I preferred it to Crysis1... which is a bit weird, maybe due to my colour blindness...

WTF IS THIS?!

Um, U H, stairs?? What the fuck?

I was interested in Crysis 2 before, but now I'm convinced to check it out. I was sold when yahtzee said it began with subtlety.

Hey Yahtzee You may have your nice beaches over there and what not..But im playing Mortal Kombat! HA!

cyrogeist:

Proverbial Jon:
I also really enjoyed Crysis 2 more than I thought I would!

I'd agree with every one of Yahtzee's points here and I'd say it's an incredibly fair assessment, for a change! I used the throwing mechanic once and once only, blimey how pointless! Also, how useful is suddenly being uncloaked when you stealthily snipe someone? WTF Crysis 2? I was being stealthy, why punish me?

im sure that the cloak is like that so it wouldnt be a game breaker

I can see this, yes, and I agree. Being stealthy was quite easy... up to a point. It was easy to get across terreign unnoticed by hiding periodically and letting the bar recharge, but if you wanted to take the PMCs down as well, you had no chance of remaining undetected. I believe there has to be other ways of doing it.

The AI in Crysis 2 (as bad as it was) seemed to be able to see me even when I was in cover and thought I had sniped someone without anyone noticing. Instead, what had begun as a perfectly stealthy playthrough suddenly became an unwanted firefight because I de-cloaked and 20 PMCs could see my arm sticking out from behind a car about 5 miles away. God damn!

The suit's stealth usually stops working when the power gauge runs out right? So what part of shooting my gun depletes power? That doesn't even make sense! Instead of this, what about the gauge going down to only a couple of bars left when you shoot someone, then you have a small window to find cover and hide before it completely runs out?

Actually, I tend to blame the hate towards Rent/Cats/Friends. But it looks ok, I'm personally not one for multi-player, so if it's just a single player game I'll be alright with it. I'm tired of the multi-player games as for one, I too can not deal with playing with someone I can not smack across the face, and two it's really kind of an inconvenience for me when I have to play 60 bucks for a years worth of something I might not be playing for weeks on end.

What is with this formula of killing of the protagonist of the last game? Are they afraid we'll come to like them?

When you mentioned alcatraz being held together by his suit, there was only one comparison I could make.

Did anyone else think of Guts and his Berserk Armor?

Too bad they never finished the Berserk anime series, one of the few good anime out there.

Great episode :)
Hate the game.

I didn't like the game, the plot was boring , graphics were ugly for a game from Crytek(they crapped all the screen with blur and thought that looks good), the levels were significantly smaller from Crysis 1. The game was a letdown for me.
Crysis 1 > Crysis 2

The only thing I liked - you could take the stationary CKM in your hands and be like a real f Rambo.

One more thing, I don't understand Croshaw's bias towards Drake. It's like he hates him for looking good or something. Dunno. But I guess, I don't understand him in many other his opinions so whatever.

Anyways, the episode was quite enjoyable, keep up the good work.

So, basically, it's okay, huh?

so one of the rare ZP positive videos just happens to be for a game I actually dont care a whole lot about.

Madara XIII:

Secondly I can't believe I find myself liking this game as well....even if it is soley for the purpose of sticking it to the PC crowd...yes I know I'm an asshole, but when you constantly hear about how console gaming is too mainstream and low-brow I get very persnickety.

Haters Gonna Hate

childish kindergarten bullshit like this should be banned...

Hmmm he was actually generally nice, I do agree with pretty much all of it.

"At which point I wonder if it's pretty bad design to have your armour, your cloak, and your sprint functions all take from the same energy pool, because surely if one of those fails during a hairy moment, you're gonna need one the others to unhairy yourself."

That point was the main thing that got to me in the game the most. It kinda ruins the point of having a multifunction suit if you can't like... use the other functions if one fucks up.

LyR:

Madara XIII:

Haters Gonna Hate

childish kindergarten bullshit like this should be banned...

And in the words of the Caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland.

"Who R U!?"

You say my post is "childish kindergarten bullshit" while your post itself looks as if it was composed by a 12 year old who didn't seem to get the joke. Even Yahtzee himself was joking about the trial by fire for PC gamers.

So I'll say this. Unless you plan on posting something at least intelligible then please don't waste anymore of my time.

I loved the ending

I was waiting for Zero Punctation to review this game, and i wasn't dissapointed. Very funny and true. This is probably the one game he hasn't viciously ripped to pieces. However he didn't mention two things that i'm quite surprised he didn't pounce on:that one glitch where enemies just walk into walls and that you can kick a car across the street but you can't kick down a damn wooden door! Other than that crysis was perfect.

Madara XIII:

"Who R U!?"

You say my post is "childish kindergarten bullshit" while your post itself looks as if it was composed by a 12 year old who didn't seem to get the joke. Even Yahtzee himself was joking about the trial by fire for PC gamers.

So I'll say this. Unless you plan on posting something at least intelligible then please don't waste anymore of my time.

I was talking about the 4chan-internetculture-meme kiddie stuff (crap like haters gonna hate, umad etc.), 100 unfunny people repeating the same bad joke doesn't make it funny

LyR:

Madara XIII:

"Who R U!?"

I was talking about the 4chan-internetculture-meme kiddie stuff (crap like haters gonna hate, umad etc.), 100 unfunny people repeating the same bad joke doesn't make it funny

OH I see. Sorry about that venom injected post then. Secondly good luck stopping anything from 4-Chan. They're like a plague and are nearly impossible to get rid of.

So my utmost apologies my fine sir, it seems there was just a bit of mistranslation in your posts context on my part and I wish to have no ill-feelings towards you.

The AI wasn't nearly smart or aggressive enough to counter a player with on-call, no-cooldown invisibility. The moment you realize you can unstealth, fire, and restealth before anyone notices your location, the game is trivialized beyond repair. By contrast, things grew a lot more tense and exciting when I forced myself to forego stealth entirely.

I don't think players should have to fix a wonky difficulty curve by forcing themselves to skip overpowered play mechanics.

Also,

One more thing, I don't understand Croshaw's bias towards Drake. It's like he hates him for looking good or something. Dunno. But I guess, I don't understand him in many other his opinions so whatever.

Do you like Joss Whedon? That's really the crux of it. If you think the writing in Firefly and Buffy is "clever", you probably like Nathan Drake.

Before everyone jumps down my throat, I like Firefly. I also happen to think that Nathan Fillion's unstoppable charisma is the only reason the show works at all. It's the Harrison Ford Effect, as seen in Star Wars: if an actor is cool enough, he can completely overshadow even the worst writing.

1) well yes, I supose yachtzee does look good in a suit. I mean who doesn't ?

2) Is it just me or did he just give crysis2 a good review ? Considering his reviewing style I'd be inclined to say he did. Imo rightfully so, I had quite a bit of fun with crysis2 (I had more of it with the original but I still had fun).

3) I personally like the 1 energybar thing. Yes it means if you get screwed if using an ability you can't use an other ability to get your arse out of the fire. But that means you have to actually think out your actions and energy expenses before rushing in. I found that by forcing me to consider what I was going to do and how much energy each individual action was going to cost the game became allot more tactical and deep. Actually thats exactly what made crysis 1 so great for me.

tris4992:
3) I personally like the 1 energybar thing. Yes it means if you get screwed if using an ability you can't use an other ability to get your arse out of the fire. But that means you have to actually think out your actions and energy expenses before rushing in. I found that by forcing me to consider what I was going to do and how much energy each individual action was going to cost the game became allot more tactical and deep. Actually thats exactly what made crysis 1 so great for me.

Spot on. The cloak is already overpowered as hell. If you could pop on armor and sprint to safety every time your stealth failed, the game would be pathetically easy as opposed to just really easy. It's basic game balance, and I'm kind of surprised Yahtzee harped on it at all. He's usually all over a game for having an uneven difficulty curve, and nothing would have borked that curve like access to all three modes simultaneously.

Now if only the testers had suggested a five second cooldown on stealth...

SckizoBoy:
Thought he'd rag on it more. Still, I preferred it to Crysis1... which is a bit weird, maybe due to my colour blindness...

WTF IS THIS?!

It's weird brick thing. With stairs. +1 epicness.

Anyway, great video as usual

Because the Statue of Liberty totally got destroyed on 9/11.

MonkeyPunch:

SckizoBoy:

WTF IS THIS?!

What? Do you not have an assortment of furniture keys on your Keyboard?
(just realising that stairs aren't technically furniture...)
That's pretty funny. Glad to see I'm not the only one who has issues with some of the Captcha images.

*Peers in*

I think I made something kind of like that in Minecraft once..

I'm just wanting for the Portal 2 review now... (I still have the forks from the Orange Box review *wink wink hurr durr*)

Huh. Unexpected. I didn't expect Yahtzee to like this one as much as he clearly did. While he was snarking at the flaws like he usually did, he didn't say anything that indicated that he actually didn't LIKE the game, even though his final assessment was only "above average". So clearly when you take Yahtzee scaling into account, this must be one seriously fucking sweet game. Pity I'm not going to buy it anyway, but I guess I can respect it at least.

I agree with the whole iron lung thing. I really liked how you find out that Alcatraz is basically a dead man walking.

... is it just me or did that sound like he thought it was alright?

While I get the whole vulnerability thing (I really liked the bits where you had to restart your heart) I can't honestly say that I felt any more investment in the characters than, for example, CoDBlOps.

Well i agree 100%. At least about part about PC gamers. I have a friend who's a hardcore PC gamer (although he does have a Wii), while im more of an all around gamer (PC,Xbox360,PS3,Wii). You should hear the discussions we sometimes have. It's like the dramatization of every online gaming forum ever!

That being said, I really do feel sorry for the PC gamers of today, especially in regards to this particular gamer. I mean "Press start to begin"...wat! And the graphics options: Advanced, Gamer, Hardcore (If i remember correctly). Really Crytek? Really?!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here