Trailers: X Rebirth Teaser

X Rebirth Teaser

Trade, Fight, Build and Think your way to interstellar domination.

Watch Video

Fuck. Yes. Been waiting for something new on the front of space simulators. If this is better than X-3, it's gonna eat a month of my life.

Right on, Deep Silver. Egosoft.

Edit: Also, here's hoping they actually have a physics engine in this game. The one in the last (or all?) of them was so bad it was funny.

Now to plan my next step of complete and total annihilation in the game

And i thought Egosoft said they were not going to make another X-verse game.

Either way i will buy this, on the day i finally get a better PC to play it on.

The past games, for me, were like crack covered in Minecraft. I will look forward to reject the world of the socially living when this gets out.

Been wanting to try it, I hope it's enough noob friendly.

I sincerely doubt that pre-video disclaimer...

Just curious, can someone explain the difference between the genres of "Strategy" and "Grand Strategy"?

so... all the footage is captured from a real in-game cutscene gameplay...

Where do I sign?

Jesus, has it really been that long since I blasted someone into space with lasers?

Yes, yes it has. Here's hoping this games doesn't suck.

leviadragon99:

It doesn't look much better than EVE online. Considering this is going to be a single player game of a smaller scale (because come on, EVE has something like thousands of star systems), and seeing how good X-3 looked, there's no reason not to believe these sort of graphics can be achieved. On a PC, anyways.

Unless you mean something other than graphics?

Stevepinto3:
Just curious, can someone explain the difference between the genres of "Strategy" and "Grand Strategy"?

Considering there's not really a way to create a good space simulator (of this type, if the genre is wider than I think it is) that wouldn't be of a huge scale, there's not much to compare. For other games, let's say it's the same difference that makes Shogun 2 a grand RTS and Starcraft 2 simply an RTS. Am I making sense?

Stevepinto3:

Ok, i like a challenge...

Grand Strategy is much slower and much bigger. Its about contructing and realising a master plan where in RTS and TBS its about defeating your opponent(s) without getting defeated yourself.

jonyboy13:

Im going to tell you straight, it wont be.

leviadragon99:

Admittedly that is what the game would look like at full spec, but Egosoft doesnt lie to its fans, or anyone who is bothered to look in through the door.

gigastar:

They did and then someone there said "But I like getting a pay check." I just hope they fixed the damn autopilot.

The Admiral:

gigastar:

They did and then someone there said "But I like getting a pay check." I just hope they fixed the damn autopilot.

Fair enough, also the autopilot isnt bad, its just its shit pathfinding skills.

gigastar:

jonyboy13:

Well, I'm familiar with TBS and RTS but new to Grand Strategy. Is the learning curve still going to be ridiculously high?

ciortas1:

Stevepinto3:

Considering there's not really a way to create a good space simulator (of this type, if the genre is wider than I think it is) that wouldn't be of a huge scale, there's not much to compare. For other games, let's say it's the same difference that makes Shogun 2 a grand RTS and Starcraft 2 simply an RTS. Am I making sense?

To be honest I've never been an RTS player. Don't know why I've never been into it, haven't had a console since the PS2. The last strategy game I remember playing for more than half an hour was Advance Wars. That aside, I think I might get the difference. Back in the day I was actually addicted to Lords of the Realm 2, would that be a Grand Strategy game?

If you never played it, basically it had RTS combat (kind of lousy combat, but the sieges were pretty good), but you also controlled territories and managed resources like iron and stone. Turns took place as seasons so you would grow wheat and raise cattle over time. Damn I loved that game, if only I knew where I left the disc :(

jonyboy13:

gigastar:

jonyboy13:

Well, I'm familiar with TBS and RTS but new to Grand Strategy. Is the learning curve still going to be ridiculously high?

Yes it will, lets just say theres alot you need to know and even more you can do with it.

Stevepinto3:
snip

Oh man, that's vintage. Nope, haven't played it, but going by the sheer length of its Wikipedia article dedicated solely to the gameplay and by what you said, I'm going to go ahead and say it qualifies for being called a grand strategy game.

ciortas1:

Stevepinto3:
snip

Oh man, that's vintage. Nope, haven't played it, but going by the sheer length of its Wikipedia article dedicated solely to the gameplay and by what you said, I'm going to go ahead and say it qualifies for being called a grand strategy game.

Surprisingly not that hard to manage. Ok, the food and resource management gets a bit complicated, but once you understand that it becomes quite satisfying managing your growing empire, building armies, and taking over the country.

Also you can send messages to the computer characters. You can choose to send a "compliment" but make the actual message something like "You sir a fat bastard, and you will never know the touch of a woman", and they'll still respond like "Oh, how nice of you". I thought it was hilarious, it was one of the first games I had played where you could do that kind of stuff.

But seriously I need to go play this game now.

Stevepinto3:
Also you can send messages to the computer characters. You can choose to send a "compliment" but make the actual message something like "You sir a fat bastard, and you will never know the touch of a woman", and they'll still respond like "Oh, how nice of you". I thought it was hilarious, it was one of the first games I had played where you could do that kind of stuff.

Yeah, that's what you get when you give players choice on things AI can't possibly differentiate between yet. Sort of like the fucked up looking characters in Dragon Age having no difficulty sexing people up. Wish there was more of that.

Anyways, enough derailing. Hope they make the economy a little easier to grasp in this one, but even if not, as long as they only improve on the previous games, I'm a happy guy.

*ahem*

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

YES I love these games. My only wish now is that they throw in an MMO for it. Then I would be a happy man.

"Docking permission accepted"

gigastar:

Stevepinto3:

jonyboy13:

According to the newsletter thing I got in my e-mail yesterday they're starting from the ground up with this one with a totally new engine saying they're going to simplify the interface quite a bit. Which lets face it, is where the game got overly complicated with all of the menus buried inside of menus covered over by even more menus.

gigastar:

leviadragon99:

Admittedly that is what the game would look like at full spec, but Egosoft doesnt lie to its fans, or anyone who is bothered to look in through the door.

Very true. The graphics shown in the video aren't really that far off from what X3: Terran Conflict would look like running at max settings.

I really need to find some paying work so I can get a new PC built that can handle all the awesome looking games that'll be coming out soon. I want this, but I wasn't even able to spend more than about 6 hours with Terran Conflict because it runs like shit on my machine.

Just got X3 gold, when this beast got announced. Silly me... still worth it though, the kind of game that makes mumorpuger grind feel awesome :D

tovansky:

You never played an X game before have you? There are no cut scenes.

I only hope they improve the mission system, many a time i was playing the story missions in the X3 original and the game glitched out and crashed. That's my only complaint, besides that i cant wait for the launch date to arrive, my already horrid social life will become a stagnant pool of nothingness again!

I'm not big on space sim games, but I may give this one a shot. If anything, it looks neat and that music in the trailer was pretty damn good.

Ultratwinkie:

tovansky:

Actually X2 and X3:Reunion did have a few cut scenes but not many.
I really can't wait for this game. What with this and Portal 2 in the same year 2011 is an amazing year for gaming.

Ultratwinkie:

tovansky:

There are, but they are in game. And crap.

I've tried X3, but was underwhelmed. The interface was unfriendly, the economy and management of it cumbersome and awkward and the story was badly written, told and implemented. Sure, it looked pretty, but it was definitely one of those games that would have benefited from an interface redesign and other 'wider appeal' simplifications, like Civ 5 did to its series.

I can remember the last frustrating experience I had had: I captured my first heavy fighter after a scuffle with some pirates and discovered that it sold for 33 million credits - enough to buy me a mining station, a hauler for it and have enough left over to get started - figured it would be the way to get some money rolling in, get things ticking over smoothly. But no. get the station set up, but the hauler lacks the automation commands to work, even after having bought software for it that claimed to be what I needed. I tried to figure out how to get anything to work, couldn't, and got fed up. It just wasn't any fun, something that's important in a video game - there was no draw, the story mission were hidden in some menu somewhere, there weren't any obvious side quests to do other than try getting factories up and running - all in all not beginner friendly.

So, rant aside, would be nice if they made some move to open the game up to newbies, otherwise their player base is just going to stagnate. Their graphics aren't all that amazing these days - Black Prophecy has some pretty shiny stuff and it's free to play, for example. Egosoft need more than overly complex game mechanics to stand on, tbh.

Wicky_42:

Ultratwinkie:

tovansky:

There are, but they are in game. And crap.

I've tried X3, but was underwhelmed. The interface was unfriendly, the economy and management of it cumbersome and awkward and the story was badly written, told and implemented. Sure, it looked pretty, but it was definitely one of those games that would have benefited from an interface redesign and other 'wider appeal' simplifications, like Civ 5 did to its series.

I can remember the last frustrating experience I had had: I captured my first heavy fighter after a scuffle with some pirates and discovered that it sold for 33 million credits - enough to buy me a mining station, a hauler for it and have enough left over to get started - figured it would be the way to get some money rolling in, get things ticking over smoothly. But no. get the station set up, but the hauler lacks the automation commands to work, even after having bought software for it that claimed to be what I needed. I tried to figure out how to get anything to work, couldn't, and got fed up. It just wasn't any fun, something that's important in a video game - there was no draw, the story mission were hidden in some menu somewhere, there weren't any obvious side quests to do other than try getting factories up and running - all in all not beginner friendly.

So, rant aside, would be nice if they made some move to open the game up to newbies, otherwise their player base is just going to stagnate. Their graphics aren't all that amazing these days - Black Prophecy has some pretty shiny stuff and it's free to play, for example. Egosoft need more than overly complex game mechanics to stand on, tbh.

I never encountered any cutscenes in Terran conflict, but its still a pretty damn good game. If they are going post apocalyptic on us, I want the ability to start our own faction mount and blade style.

*Silence*
AUTOPILLOCK ACTIVATED
*Crashes into the sun*

WHEEEEEEEE :D I'm definitely going to buy this.
I loved X3R and X3TC, too bad I didnt have enough time to play it these days :(.

Something to play during the summer holidays I suppose.
So this is the TNB... Although I thought they said they wouldn't be making anymore X Series game, but still SQUEEEE~

Meh.. I was hoping that "The Next Big Thing" from Egosoft was going to be something more. Sure, they are creating a new fresh story, but I was hoping for a bit more of a shake up to the gameplay, which looks to be very familiar (from what we can see of it... gated sectors, grand stations and asteroids, autopilot voice etc.)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here