Trailers: Fable 3: PC Developer Diary

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fable 3: PC Developer Diary

The developers of Fable 3 discuss the changes and improvements in the PC version of the game.

Watch Video

If, after 5 months, it even SLIGHTLY feels Console-ish, I will find Peter Molyneux and stuff the disc where the sun don't shine!

But seriously, the Console version had very little in the way of non-linearity. I felt compelled to just complete the story and then stop playing. No incentive to deviate. No incentive to continue after finishing, unlike Fable 2 and even the original.

It better not be 40 this time around...

I preferred it when Lionhead were more independent. Not just because their office was in my local town but also because they made much better games (The Movies, Black & White etc.). I just wish that Microsoft wouldn't hold the leash so tightly and give them a bit more freedom to do what they want.

I might start to think about buying that game once I finish Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex 2, all 16 playtroughs of the Witcher 2 and every remotely decent cRPG I've missed since Baldurs Gate.

Boyninja616:

I just wish that Microsoft wouldn't hold the leash so tightly and give them a bit more freedom to do what they want.

Microsoft's third party developer policy.

Eh, any game promotes the fact that it will be "harder" and focuses most of it's promotion based on stereoscopic 3D, is a definite bargain bin buy.

Not a port? Good for you, doesn't stop it from sucking.

Freakout456:

Boyninja616:

I just wish that Microsoft wouldn't hold the leash so tightly and give them a bit more freedom to do what they want.

Microsoft's third party developer policy.

Exactly. Bad times.

Stupid (Expletive deleted by order of Microsoft).

Ok, so the only Fable game I ever liked was the first one, mainly because that one actually felt like and RPG whereas the other 2 just felt like an action adventure game with RPG thrown out the window. All these new things they claimed they changed and redid for the sake of PC gaming intrigues me to see how it turns out. Kinda makes me want to get Fable 3 because of that.

In the end it's Fable, I have really mixed feelings about all this. On one hand it's a revamped version of Fable 3, improved graphics engine. controls etc for the sake of PC. On the other hand...it's Fable 3....

Edit: Forgot to mention Games for Windows Live...

JUST RELEASE IT ALLREADY.

Can I be any more clear?

They sure have a lot of guts releasing it the same day as the giant The Witcher 2. I'll get both, but if I had to choose I'd be getting The Witcher 2 by faaaar.

The release date couldn't be more poorly planned with games like TW2 and L.A. Noire coming the same day and makes me think MS is doing this so they can say "See? PC games don't sell!" and ditch the effort entirely. Either that or they have great confidence and arrogance that it will beat TW2, even despite the crappy reviews and that PC gamers already forgot about Fable.

I wonder what they are doing for ajusting difficulty, this might get interesting after all.

Hey guys, I think you forgot something. Mods!!

Actual open RPG freedom mod anyone?

SteelStallion:
Hey guys, I think you forgot something. Mods!!

Actual open RPG freedom mod anyone?

I wouldn't exactly get my hopes up. It's highly unlikely they'll ever release any sort of sdk or editor. even now 7 years after the release of fable: TLC the mods released haven't exactly been groundbreaking. Only good thing to come from the modding comunity was the fable explorer, which I only used to change the age modifier of the player to 0.

I might pick that up when it's gone down in price.

After I've destroyed the Witcher like 20 times.

Now could you please release the repair mod for 360 like right now, before i finish it... please?

Kukulski:
I might start to think about buying that game once I finish Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex 2, all 16 playtroughs of the Witcher 2 and every remotely decent cRPG I've missed since Baldurs Gate.

And even then it might still be too soon.

WaaghPowa:
Forgot to mention Games for Windows Live...

*ahem*

HOLY GOD-DARNED CAMEL SPIT, MICROSOFT ARE SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY. - Alec Meer

A hardcore mode? For Fable?

I.. what?

Raiyan 1.0:

WaaghPowa:

*ahem*

I know it's on steam, but you're still required to be connected to GFWL. One of the first things I checked on steam.

WaaghPowa:

Raiyan 1.0:

WaaghPowa:

*ahem*

I know it's on steam, but you're still required to be connected to GFWL. One of the first things I checked on steam.

Ahhh... didn't know that.

Didn't The Witcher 2 remove those obnoxious sex cards? So basically I can play that game without any misogynistic guilt? Yeah, I know where I'm going...

Lovely. So I take it that this means the controls have been pointlessly mapped to keyboard and mouse in some needlessly complex configuration to make people "Think" its not a console port.

I dont have a problem with having options, but given that there was so much work to modify it to a keyboard (and clearly WASD centric as you can see action triggers being mapped to F1-5) that they wont bother putting in 360 gamepad support. It seriously annoys the hell out me when developers do this. Its a console port, nothing you can say or do will change that fact. So dont try to fool the audience with a K&M interface, because no one is that thick. Lionhead, add the friggen gamepad support. I love xpad, but I hate having to spend the first 10-15 minutes of a game having to configure it and its absolutely infurating to have to do so when the controls were built around a gamepad. (Im looking at you Bioware and Dragonage)

OPTIONS... Not forced decisions.

Anyway, I am somewhat looking forward to the game. Even though I know its gotten below average reviews there is something profound about the franchise. I think its the music, because the second you hear music from fable it is so immediately identifiable and lulls you into a calm and passive state.

EDIT: Upon researching it seems that the dev team has confirmed the gamepad will be supported. I would retract my statements, but the point is still relevant as there are other examples of devs porting to PC but forgetting to put in the gamepad support. Anyway, good on you Lionhead, you just gave me more reason to purchase the game.

Now, if we can get them to add in a first person perspective camera I would be insanely happy.

It's nice to see this isn't a straight port, i've always loved fable, i do hope they have left the 360 controller setup in though (for games like this i do use one), been waiting on this since november so it better not let me down.

That's nice and all, but I'd still like to give a big fat "fuck you" to Lionhead "we have a history on PC" Studios for not releasing Fable 2 for the PC. I'm not even going to consider playing installment 3 until they do that (so never).

WaaghPowa:

Raiyan 1.0:

WaaghPowa:

*ahem*

Sadly, it gets worse

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6720/

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM (5 activations per month)

I really, really want to support this game since they seem sincere in making an actual game instead of a straight port, but I refuse to allow SecuROM on my system. Hopefully they'll come to their senses and realize GFWL is more than enough.

I'm going with my inner cynic and say - haw haw, not going to fool me again. Not a port my ass.

Also, delaying release also for 3D? Didn't he just say they are adding hardcore mode?

qwerty19411:

WaaghPowa:

Raiyan 1.0:

*ahem*

Sadly, it gets worse

I really, really want to support this game since they seem sincere in making an actual game instead of a straight port, but I refuse to allow SecuROM on my system. Hopefully they'll come to their senses and realize GFWL is more than enough.

In my opinion SucuRom isn't THAT bad since it's 5 activations per month, how or why would I activate it more than that per month? What developers need to realize is that GFWL is shit and stop using the damn thing. THQ and Relic finally stopped using it and chose steam instead with the most recent Dawn of War II title.

Should I be ashamed that I paid most of my attention to the beautiful music from the original fable rather than what the devs were talking about? :/

WaaghPowa:

qwerty19411:

WaaghPowa:

Sadly, it gets worse

In my opinion SucuRom isn't THAT bad since it's 5 activations per month, how or why would I activate it more than that per month?What developers need to realize is that GFWL is shit and stop using the damn thing. THQ and Relic finally stopped using it and chose steam instead with the most recent Dawn of War II title.

What? The issue isn't activations, it's the use of SecuROM itself along with two other DRMs (GFWL and Steam) alongside as well.

Paul Wright sounds like a Welshman :P
Doesn't he? ...sound like a Welshman?

qwerty19411:

What? The issue isn't activations, it's the use of SecuROM itself along with two other DRMs (GFWL and Steam) alongside as well.

Oh I know, was just commenting on SecuRom. But yes, the fact that they have to put so many DRM's on top of each other is just gratuitous.

razor343:
Should I be ashamed that I paid most of my attention to the beautiful music from the original fable rather than what the devs were talking about? :/

Not at all. Seriously that was probably the least interesting developer diary ever. I have to adimitt that the game has a somewhat interesting art style, but porting a below avarage quality RPG to PC hardly makes me reach for my wallet especially in a year like this one.

Kukulski:

razor343:

Not at all. Seriously that was probably the least interesting developer diary ever. I have to adimitt that the game has a somewhat interesting art style, but porting a below avarage quality RPG to PC hardly makes me reach for my wallet especially in a year like this one.

Bah, I'm gonna HAVE to buy it to be honest. Fable: TLC was pretty much my introduction to RPG's. It has a very special place in my heart. So I have to play Fable 3 aswell.

That one dude who couldn't remember anything that he was supposed to say should have been edited out of the developer diary. lol.

OH so much irony, they said they were proud of the control improvements but honestly i felt like fable 3 sucked when I played on xbox360, and it will probably still suck compare to fable I.

I don't care if the graphics are better and they've changed the controls, the game still needs improvements on storyline and better execution of ideas.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here