Trailers: Prototype 2: Alex Mercer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Prototype 2: Alex Mercer

The developers of Prototype 2 explain what happens to the protagonist of Prototype.

Watch Video

The developers' passion for the game is almost infectious.

HankMan:

Oh god, what is with the puns!?

They are making me sick!

Oh fuck me...

Sooooo... why does Alex make another super-infection guy? And why does he spread the plague after spending most of the last game slicing and dicing it?

"Where do you go from there?" Back to square one apparently. While I think the switch to antagonist is quite a good idea (and is where I was hoping Resistance 3 would go), spending time to build up Alex so much in the first game, only to move on to someone new who slowly develops the exact same powers just annoys me. Unless they've improved their storytelling to allow Alex's motivation to make sense, I can't see myself playing Prototype 2.

I like this idea. It's better than just having some random event steal all of Alex's powers or try to convince the player that there's something even more dangerous out there when Alex was already confirmed as one of the most overpowered characters in video game history. It also makes him a more interesting villain.

I'm not happy with the idea of making Mercer the enemy. I really liked him as a protagonist, so turning that around just doesn't seem right. But hey... we'll see how it turns out next year.

I hate this switch, I want Alex to win and if he's a villain now, there's no point playing Prototype 2.

Wow, way to ruin the game. I'm all for fighting Alex, great idea but having a good protagonist is boring and I don't understand, why would Alex leave him alive?... He killed EVERY person who's memories he took and pretty much every person who was the enemy...
But none of us played Prototype for the story so I just hope the gameplay gonna be better and more fun.

Wait...what?
Alex Mercer?! He's dead....
I really don't get why they keep referring to Blacklight as Alex Mercer, is it just me or are these guys pissing all over their own lore? Putting the getting infected aside, this guy wants revenge on Alex Mercer for unleashing the Blacklight virus....but Alex Mercer is dead so how is this supposed to be the motivation for the protagonist?

I liked alex, he got to grow on me, It's hard to know there's a new guy, I hope at least we can have some times to play with both.

Wicky_42:
Sooooo... why does Alex make another super-infection guy? And why does he spread the plague after spending most of the last game slicing and dicing it?

Well, insanity is a disease after all...

Rednog:
Wait...what?
I really don't get why they keep referring to Blacklight as Alex Mercer, is it just me or are these guys pissing all over their own lore? Putting the getting infected aside, this guy wants revenge on Alex Mercer for unleashing the Blacklight virus....but Alex Mercer is dead so how is this supposed to be the motivation for the protagonist?

Because the virus is basically Mercer now. Simples.

So, Alex is making a sith empire?
It doesn't really seem like something Alex would do from what I saw in the first game. Sure, he'd kill people for shits and/or giggles if you wanted him to, but he never really singled out any individuals. For me, I'd just whipfist an entire block rather than personally infect anyone.

Okay, but WHY does Alex to that? Why does he feel "You know what? I'm pretty much King Bitch of the Universe right now. What I need is a superpowered arch nemesis.."

It doesnt really make sense to me... Sooo probably no prototype 2 for me.

Watch the video carefully. Youll se that Blacklight indeed tries to consume this new prot... but the hatret indside burns blacklights hand off "see his face when he looks at his stumped arm" and in doing so infects a new super mutant.

Also humans always want to blaim someone for al missfortune so im pretty sure that it really doesnt matter to this new guy that mercer is infact dead and now is a multitude of people memories inside a virus.

Also in the end of Prototype 1 Blacklight finally understands what it is and if im not mistaken a virus meat blob taken form as a human doesnt necesarily sympasize with humans. So to make more meat blob virusses wouldnt seem to far off to me.

Midnight Crossroads:
It's better than just having some random event steal all of Alex's powers or try to convince the player that there's something even more dangerous out there when Alex was already confirmed as one of the most overpowered characters in video game history. .

Actually there is something stronger than Alex the world these games are set in. Elizabeth Greene's child, codenamed: "Pariah". There's a possibility the bad guy is "Pariah" in the form of Alex Mercer, or something like that. Of course, there alway the possibility the devs will completely ignore the "Pariah" story bits from the 1st game and do something else entirely.

That's nice and all, but can you still karate kick a helicopter from a half mile away?

Rednog:
Wait...what?

Indeed, Alex was dead even before we started to play as him.

You know, despite the fact that Radical was halved last year by Activision, the game looks like its coming along nicely.

Proteus214:
That's nice and all, but can you still karate kick a helicopter from a half mile away?

Probably can, though i refer to it as dive kicking a helicopter that is half a mile above you.

And even then, longshot grapple says i have a better use for that chopper than the guys inside it.

My lack of interest in this game is growing rapidly. I don't feel that it NEEDED a sequel, in ANY way, shape or form. The original was dull. I still can't believe I played through the end. Half way through I was thinking "Man, I just want to get this over with so I can say I beat it and trade it in." I've been kicking myself since then for even allowing it to go that far. I hope the game gets delayed even more than the first did and never comes to fruition much like StarCraft: Ghost never did.

I really liked Prototype. Sure, the story telling wasn't perfect, some of the boss fights were just too long and the late game had an annoying habit of throwing enemies at you that were near immune to your hard earned powers, but regardless of all that it was a lot of fun and an amazingly visceral experience. I'll be looking out for Prototype 2.

Proteus214:

that's all I wanted to know from the trailer but instead they show that his body glows we he mutates, am I the only one bothered by that?

AngryMongoose:
Okay, but WHY does Alex to that? Why does he feel "You know what? I'm pretty much King Bitch of the Universe right now. What I need is a superpowered arch nemesis.."

I think it could be something like Fake Nicker said, but I also feel like Alex is still going to be a hero. He was going to consume Srgt. McStereotype, but then something in the new guy's memories made him stop. I feel it might be another Infamous-esque plot twist where Alex kinda watches this guy's powers grow and then uses him to help defeat the final boss in a boring tag team battle thingy.

Get rid of all the stun-locking and quick-time stun-locking from the first game and make the AI smarter than a snail and this will be perfect. I liked the first game, but it's repetitiveness and lack of content marred the overall experience.

Yeah, we SOOOOO care about the story. Maybe this time we can level 5 city blocks while looking for a girlfriend we can't remember. Please, just stop trying. It is sad how little any sane person would care about mercer. I for one felt he as worse than the military. At least they had some plan that didn't involve randomly murdering people for petty personal reasons.

I am going to be honest. If the game ends with me killing Alex then I'm not going to get it. Also if you watch the video Alex tries to consume this guy but his hatred is so strong it blasts of Alex's arm and he looks at it confused, this infects the new guy. So Alex is strong enough to survive a nuclear blast but cannot overpower an emotion? Also I'm pretty sure he isn't that lost his family and is angry at Mercer but you can consume anyone else just fine. Alex even developed a technique that lets him consume mutants who are as powerful as him. I guess maybe that's not why he couldn't consume him, so we'll just have to wait and see.

i will RIP the writers to shreds[/pun]
if alex dies at the end!

MrMisfit:

Midnight Crossroads:
It's better than just having some random event steal all of Alex's powers or try to convince the player that there's something even more dangerous out there when Alex was already confirmed as one of the most overpowered characters in video game history. .

Actually there is something stronger than Alex the world these games are set in. Elizabeth Greene's child, codenamed: "Pariah". There's a possibility the bad guy is "Pariah" in the form of Alex Mercer, or something like that. Of course, there alway the possibility the devs will completely ignore the "Pariah" story bits from the 1st game and do something else entirely.

Maybe Pariah is too powerful for Alex to take on alone so he infects this new guy with the same powers as him?

I've been thinking from the start that it'll be one of those things where you spend half the game fighting against Alex then the two of them team up to take on something bigger

EDIT: Double post, my bad.

everyone seems to think this means "Zeus" will become a villain. who says the new protagonist needs to be in the right? i think that it would make the story more interesting if zeus is still the (anti)hero of the first game.

Dr. wonderful:

HankMan:

Oh god, what is with the puns!?

They are making me sick!

Oh fuck me...

Man what did we do to deserve such Punishment? ah fuck.

OT: Yeah, this game looks like it could be good..i'll wait for everything else to be played (Portal 2, Skyrim, Dragon age 2 and guild wars 2) before i give this one a look.

Really looking forward to it, Prototype was some of the most awesome, craziest fun I've had throughout gaming... and I've gotta say, the decision to make Mercer into a villain is a brilliant one, makes 100% sense and is really something that I don't think anyone's done before with a sequel :)

So....they essentially told us jack shit because we already had the new character tell us all of that in the first trailer.

hmmmm take the hero from the first game and make him the villain, interesting

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or