Recap - Episode 2: "The Kingsroad"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Recap - Episode 2: "The Kingsroad"

This week, Ned sets out for King's Landing and Catelyn begins to suspect Bran was pushed.

Read Full Article

Really happy to see how the series is progressing so far. Fantastic write-up!

Nymeria sinking her teeth into Joffrey... Absolutely worth sacrificing Lady for.

That will teach her not to lie to the king. Anyway Daenerys is hawt and remember kids telling fibs kills cute doggies.

Really loving the show.

More so now that I understand what's happening.

Edit: Did the Butcher's kid get killed, or just badly beaten? When he showed up on the Horse he was covered in blood and limp, and the answer from Dog made it hard to understand.

Tdc2182:
Really loving the show.

Edit: Did the Butcher's kid get killed, or just badly beaten? When he showed up on the Horse he was covered in blood and limp, and the answer from Dog made it hard to understand.

Killed. Sandor ran him down with his horse, ostensibly because the boy ran away.

Tdc2182:
Really loving the show.

You very probably can assume him killed. "Beating up" the prince is no fun and games.
While i would have enjoyed it very much if Arya would have cut up the little brat, she can be happy that she didnt do anything. Even a Lords daughter wouldnt get out of that.

This episode was incredible and has inspired me to go and buy a Song of Ice and Fire. Joffrey is indeed an asshole and I feel so sorry for the butcher's kid. So many innocents died because the people in power are dicks.

Still confused about how Rob & Ned are heading to King's Landing but show up back at Winterfell shortly after that business by the river...

NestorES:
Still confused about how Rob & Ned are heading to King's Landing but show up back at Winterfell shortly after that business by the river...

They stopped by an inn apparently, but the set did look similar

Soviet Heavy:

NestorES:

Right, the King's party is not back at Winterfell but at an inn along the way. I could totally see getting confused though - all medieval places look alike.

Greg

This is a paraphrase, but "Jamie taunts Jon Snow about going to the wall and then thanks him a little too profusely. This may be our first indication that Jamie is kind of a dick"

What, pushing a child out of a window because he's having an affair with his sister the Queen not enough?

Greg Tito:

Soviet Heavy:

NestorES:

Right, the King's party is not back at Winterfell but at an inn along the way. I could totally see getting confused though - all medieval places look alike.

Greg

I do think it was a reused set however. The path lined with a stone wall and the overgrown tree, I am dead certain we saw that in the first episode.

Susan Arendt:

Tdc2182:
Really loving the show.

Killed. Sandor ran him down with his horse, ostensibly because the boy ran away.

In the book he almost cuts him in two... Sandor isn't the kindest fella but

This show is freaking amazing! I'm gonna be checking out the books at some point.

Wait... so fucking his (married) sister and throwing a ten-year-old boy out a window wasn't an indication that Jaime is kind of a dick?

Very amused by the "Bet you five bucks" quip about angry blog posts in re: the portrayal of women. Winning! In fact, somebody already got there, helpfully explaining into the bargain that fantasy need not include unpleasant things, or something to that effect. (I personally really hate fantasy that airbrushes out the inconvenient parts of race or gender relations in societies at the technological levels it typically portrays, but to each their own.)

I have to say, watching Tyrion slap Joffrey around was wonderfully cathartic. What a little douchebag.

I'm really liking the series so far. I'd go out and buy the books, were I not already in the middle of The Wise Man's Fear.

That wasn't Fat Bob that Ned was talking to by the road, that was King Robert. And I think you're thinking of Fat Tom, a member of Ned's guards. I don't think he's shown up in the series, or yet anyway.

Stormpigeon:
This is a paraphrase, but "Jamie taunts Jon Snow about going to the wall and then thanks him a little too profusely. This may be our first indication that Jamie is kind of a dick"

What, pushing a child out of a window because he's having an affair with his sister the Queen not enough?

I said "may or may not be." It was also quite sarcastic. Jaime has yet to be anything BUT a dick.

mechanixis:
That wasn't Fat Bob that Ned was talking to by the road, that was King Robert. And I think you're thinking of Fat Tom, a member of Ned's guards. I don't think he's shown up in the series, or yet anyway.

Yes, I know, King Robert Baratheon, who they spent much of Episode 1 calling fat. In my last recap, I refer to him as Fat Bob quite frequently.

I commend the acting of 'little brat', his acting is truly something else. He has made me hate him and for that I applaud him.

God but I do so hate that Joffrey, even from the moment I laid eyes on him. Smarmy little bastard prick that he is.

Yokai:
I have to say, watching Tyrion slap Joffrey around was wonderfully cathartic. What a little douchebag.

I'm really liking the series so far. I'd go out and buy the books, were I not already in the middle of The Wise Man's Fear.

Quoted for Wise Man's Fear. I haven't started reading it yet, but the Kingkiller Chronicles is my second favourite fantasy series of all time, right behind Songs of Fire and Ice. Here's hoping that we'll someday also see a movie/television adaptation of Name of the Wind.

Also, I agree with the Joffrey comment. At first I wasn't too sure about the casting, but seeing him this episode, and hearing his little bitch-whimper, I think they pulled it off really well.

Not to spoil anything, but anyone who gets angry over the portrayal of women in "A Game of Thrones" really has to ignore the context of the book, as well as the last few pages. I do understand how some of this is lost in translation though.

EdwardOrchard:

Yokai:

Quoted for Wise Man's Fear. I haven't started reading it yet, but the Kingkiller Chronicles is my second favourite fantasy series of all time, right behind Songs of Fire and Ice. Here's hoping that we'll someday also see a movie/television adaptation of Name of the Wind.

Also, I agree with the Joffrey comment. At first I wasn't too sure about the casting, but seeing him this episode, and hearing his little bitch-whimper, I think they pulled it off really well.

Well, I'll have you know it's at least as good as Name of the Wind.

And the casting continues to amaze me. I've seen pretty much no bad acting so far in either episode.

Watching brans Direwolf maul the assassin was totally awesome, can't wait to see what he does after he wakes up.

EDIT: also, I've got a suspicion she's trying to hatch those dragon eggs.

I don't agree with a few points made in the recap, but I have to say, I LOVE the way you're doing it (with the links and all.)

Also, I have to say... considering the last time most of us saw him, it's really weird to see Jack Gleeson go from this:

to this:

:)

I'll grant the wishes for everyone who watched this episode with the greatest moment:

Thank you. Thank you.

On the show: I do find it intresting that Daenerys is taking control with sex instead of where in the book, where Drogo is quite caring. It gives her character some empowerment I think.
Rest of the show pretty good.

I dislike that they are fucking up Khal Drogo. First time they fucked in the tv series was straight up rape, book he was really gentle and she said yes.
And when they fucked looking into each others faces it was done under the open sky.
I quote

"This night we must go outside, my lord," she told him, for the Dothraki believed that all things of importance in a man's life must be done beneath the open sky.

Still, its not a bad show and I must admit, I greatly look forward to every minute Tyrion is on screen.

mechanixis:

bobs another name for robert and he is fat so i presume thats just the nickname they use.

I wasnt to sure about the cersis story about losing the baby if its not reveled to be a lie it goes alot againt the character in the books who had an abortion just because she thought it was roberts child.

As someone who is currently rereading the books I am really enjoying these recaps, Last weeks had more chuckles in the writing but this was still good too.

I am concerned by the number of unspoilered spoilers in this comments section especially as this is more for people who DON'T know whats going on. If you wan to discuss the future Greg Tito's commentary would be a better place or (WARNING SHAMLESS PLUGS UPCOMING) in the Winter is Coming User Group or over at the Winter is Coming Fansite in the Episode Recap post

the twists in this series are fantastic and can only be experienced once I would hate to have someone miss out on those OH SHIT! moments because of a careless spoiler tag here.

/rant

I listened to all 120 hours of the first three books several years ago, and it's a little frightening how well it's all coming back to me when I've been discussing the series with friends and family who are watching it. Of course, the narrator, Roy Dotrice, could make a phone book sound fascinating.

I'm looking forward to watching this, eventually, but I'm not going to pay for cable or bother with trying to pirate it. It's just a shame it can't be purchased a la carte, though that goes for a lot of what the cable industry does.

crotalidian:
As someone who is currently rereading the books I am really enjoying these recaps, Last weeks had more chuckles in the writing but this was still good too.

I am concerned by the number of unspoilered spoilers in this comments section especially as this is more for people who DON'T know whats going on. If you wan to discuss the future Greg Tito's commentary would be a better place or (WARNING SHAMLESS PLUGS UPCOMING) in the Winter is Coming User Group or over at the Winter is Coming Fansite in the Episode Recap post

the twists in this series are fantastic and can only be experienced once I would hate to have someone miss out on those OH SHIT! moments because of a careless spoiler tag here.

/rant

Agreed. Folks, these recaps are intended for newcomers to the series, so PLEASE put any spoilers in spoiler tags. That way, it's up to the reader whether or not they want to engage with the information.

RandallJohn:
I don't agree with a few points made in the recap

I'm curious - like what?

I love how this show has become nerd supershow about 3 hours after the episode, love the books, loving the show ad adore Sean Bean. So to recap, a whole lot of love for this series

Show is freaking awesome. I was watching Camelot and it was pretty cool but compared to A Game of Thrones it can go burn in a fire. Maybe that's why they played a rerun already. GoT destroyed it in the ratings probably.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here