Commentary on “The Kingsroad”

Commentary on "The Kingsroad"

Direwolves, direwolves, direwolves!

Read Full Article

Another great analysis, just one minor issue though, you called 'The Hound' 'Ser Sandor Clegane', although in the books he very clearly states that he's not a 'Ser' by any stretch of the imagination, and almost violently refutes it (due to spoiler filled issues I won't go into).

But apart from that, succinct and accurate. Keep it up.

The Diabolical Biz:
Another great analysis, just one minor issue though, you called 'The Hound' 'Ser Sandor Clegane', although in the books he very clearly states that he's not a 'Ser' by any stretch of the imagination, and almost violently refutes it (due to spoiler filled issues I won't go into).

Heh, you are totally right. I will fix it. (I think I was thinking about his brother Ser Gregor when I was writing that.)

Greg

Yes, excellent comentary and I agree with it all. Especially your mother-in-law's comment about Daenerys and Khal Drogo; the idea of their love blossoming now, after completely skirting over his surprising tenderness, will most likely come across as contrived.

Also great news that the show has already been renewed for a second season.

Greg Tito:

The Diabolical Biz:

Heh, you are totally right. I will fix it. (I think I was thinking about his brother Ser Gregor when I was writing that.)

Greg

Yeah good stuff. I just thought I'd mention because as of his whole relationship with his brother, it's kinda important. But yeah looking forward to next week!

I hope that little brat Joffrey dies a painful and pathetic death.

As an appeal to anyone else who read the books, I don't recall that Cersei lost a son by Robert - maybe I just missed that part...?

Other than that, good review - and I agree, having Danaerys suddenly start enjoying things is a little jarring.

House_Vet:
As an appeal to anyone else who read the books, I don't recall that Cersei lost a son by Robert - maybe I just missed that part...?

Anyone else had the urge to rip out the queen's and the prince's throat the very moment they demanded the dire wolves death? How can you kill such a loyal and caring beast? Grrrr...... I really hope that little spoiled brat of a prince dies a painful death.

Just like any critically-acclaimed shows, I'll get on the bandwagon years after. Now I'm finally into Mad Men.

The only movie with Peter Dinklage I saw was Death at a Funeral, the British version that is not the awful remake, and whilst I enjoyed his performance I didn't think much of it. To see that such talent was hidden in him all this time is just plain amazing. He's incredible as Tyrion Lannister who, incidentally, is my favorite character at the moment.

Tyrion is hands down my favorite character as well. I'm liking what they're doing so far, but I wonder about the pacing of the show. Will the first book take up the entire first season, or are they going to squeeze a couple of seasons out of it? Also I am also curious to see how Hodor is handled, if at all.

This is one part of the adaptation that still doesn't really feel accurate to me. It is important that Daenerys become emboldened by her relationship with Drogo - she grows into a more independent woman based in part on being a good wife ... in bed - but I just don't think the motivations match up with how I interpreted the book. Daenerys asks her handmaiden to teach her so that she can pleasure her husband better, not so that he stops raping her. I hope the writers are playing up Daenerys' vulnerability so that her coming-of-age story is more adequately realized, otherwise she may just come off as weak.

I have yet to read the books, but I read your first summary where she is being raped by her husband.

I believe that this part really needs to be given time because of what Daenerys has to learn by herself. She is somewhat exiled from her home, she has no friends at all, and she's married to a barbarian whose ways involve a crap load of testosterone poisoning. I think it's right to have her seem a LOT weaker because she just doesn't know the ways and customs.

I have to put this similar to my experience of being in Japan. It's great and all but you need time to adjust to a different culture, something that she kind of had forced upon her with no support.

AndyFromMonday:
The only movie with Peter Dinklage I saw was Death at a Funeral, the British version that is not the awful remake, and whilst I enjoyed his performance I didn't think much of it. To see that such talent was hidden in him all this time is just plain amazing. He's incredible as Tyrion Lannister who, incidentally, is my favorite character at the moment.

If you are interested in seeing more of his work I recommend "The Station Agent". Its a great film and his performance as the lead is fantastic.

As a fan of the books I am loving the show so far. Lets hope it is sucessful enough to convince GRRM to finish the series in a timely manner.

Episode 1 wasn't all that great, but 2 made me a believer.

I absolutely loved the books, and honestly I was worried when I heard HBO was going to make a GOT show. After this episode I actually feel like they can pull it off. The feelings I had during the killing of Lady were the exact same as in the book.

And the actors... marvelous. That is the same face and smile as the Jamie Lannister from my imagination. Arya and Sansa, Bran, all the characters feel so true.

I do have to say that the Hound isn't quite as impressive as I imagined, and Drogo's haircut is silly though.

Jamie and Tyrion Lannister are my favorite characters, and I can't wait to see Jamie become the great man I know he is.

rickthetrick:
Also I am also curious to see how Hodor is handled, if at all.

Well he's in it, I can tell you that much - He was 'interviewed' on the Yogscast.

Loop Stricken:

rickthetrick:

Well he's in it, I can tell you that much - He was 'interviewed' on the Yogscast.

ahh very cool. I wasn't sure if they were going to put him in it or not. You know how touchy some people are with the mentally handicapped, and there portrayal in film. So far they have been pretty faithful in this series, of course this is just two shows in. I will be pretty shocked if they have the scene with Arya opening a guys throat up.

rickthetrick:

Loop Stricken:

rickthetrick:

ahh very cool. I wasn't sure if they were going to put him in it or not. You know how touchy some people are with the mentally handicapped, and there portrayal in film. So far they have been pretty faithful in this series, of course this is just two shows in. I will be pretty shocked if they have the scene with Arya opening a guys throat up.

Hodor can be seen in the first episode, in the scene when the King arrives in Winterfell. He's the big lug... I think with a bit of grey in his hair, standing at the end of the line near Bran. He doesn't really look like the Hodor you'd imagine, but they definitely got a big guy.

Every time I read you commentary, I get more hyped for the next episode... damn you :)

Gotta say they are doing much better than I thought they would and I had very high expectations and they are blowing them out of the water. Peter Dinklage is amazing, he should be prepping his Emmy speech now.

I only have one complaint. It seems that the linkage between the Stark kids and the Direwolves is played down. I mean where was Ghost on the trip up to the wall and where was Bran's "conversation" with the crow? But I can live without this as they are doing an otherwise brilliant job of converting this to TV.

I agree with everything that this has to say 100%. I've never read the books, but I've been an avid watcher of HBO for years. So now it's decided, this show is my new jam, always to be recorded on my PVR, never to be missed.

The Diabolical Biz:

I dont remember how Sandor was called in the books, but Gregor was called Ser for sure. And they are both Knights, members of House Clegane.

Damn o damn. I love this show, but only because I love the books. I think Daneyers is the weakest link in the show. Even though, in the books, it was a pleasure following here story, they seem to be moving way too fast with her. The acting is awful and Drogo hasn't sold me on his barbarism (mainly because his chaps are fully shaved). Tyrion is by far my favorite character and Jeoffry I loathe. Seeing Tyrion smack Jeoffry around was like a cool glass of lemonade pressed against the sweaty neck under the searing summer sun.

The Imp:
Anyone else had the urge to rip out the queen's and the prince's throat the very moment they demanded the dire wolves death? How can you kill such a loyal and caring beast? Grrrr...... I really hope that little spoiled brat of a prince dies a painful death.

You haven't read the books, have you?

ElectroJosh:

AndyFromMonday:

If you are interested in seeing more of his work I recommend "The Station Agent". Its a great film and his performance as the lead is fantastic.

As a fan of the books I am loving the show so far. Lets hope it is sucessful enough to convince GRRM to finish the series in a timely manner.

I second the above quotes. Station Agent is one of my favorite movies, and Dinklage is a fantastic, and entirely underrated actor. I'm hoping GoT gives him more exposure.

On a slightly related note, I'm looking forward to finding an excuse for using this image:

JOFFREEEEEEEEEEYYY!!

Gosh, he's still the character I hate the most in all the books, he's just such an epic level douche it's hard to fathom. Good to see the actor can make me hate the character in the TV version as well. ^^
Same goes for Sansa, or nearly. She's just such an unlikeable character, spoiled, arrogant, too freaking dreamy, totally living in her ivory tower. Only very late in the books she becomes bearable, after reality hammers her again and again and again. Her younger sister is already more grown up then she'll probably ever be. Damn brat. Glad the actress is able to make me hate/dislike the character as well.

Likeable characters are easy, don't be a douche, be nice, but playing believable villains or otherwise unlikeable characters... that's hard... I imagine. ^^

Also yeah, I'm fine with most of the things they had to change for the adaption, I'm not loving some of them but most of them are fine - but I'm really disappointed and pretty pissed how they changed the Drogo-Daenerys dynamic. In the books Drogo isn't a super sensitive guy either but he's not the pretty-much-rapist he's in the show. He has a sensitive ... undercurrent under all his gruffness. He's absolutely certain of himself and he will get what he wants, but he knows he does not always have to be brutal about taking it. He knows Dany may not love the situation she's in and he knows he'll get her because he wants her but he also knows he doesn't have to force her, he's trying to get her to cooperate more or less of her own free will.

Not the ideal start, yes, but far more plausible for the, apparently - going by her later actions - real love between them to arise than the not-quite-rape we saw in the show.

All kinds of details about Drogo just got dropped for the show. I can totally see people hating Drogo in the tv version because he really is a douche there. But in the books he is a fantastic character, many layers, not your typical brutal warlord, or hard-but-nice hubbie or any other stereotype.

I really don't get why they changed him that way when just doing it the "right" way would not have been any harder at all. They seem to slowly go back to the Dany-Drogo relationship from the books now anyway, why change the basis, the start of their relationship so horribly?

Also other things about the Dothraki, the khas, the bloodriders, also - dropped. Just a few lines about the relationship between the khal and his bloodriders and how some khals share their wife with their bloodriders but Drogo is not as old-fashioned, could have gone a long way towards making the character more likeable.

Dana22:
I dont remember how Sandor was called in the books, but Gregor was called Ser for sure. And they are both Knights, members of House Clegane.

Gregor's a knight, Sandor is most vociferously not. He comes close to physically assaulting anyone who tries to call him "Ser". In order to be a knight, and therefore Ser, one must be anointed in the 7 oils and officially granted the title. He's of House Clegane by birth, and technically a retainer of House Lannister, but he's not a knight.

docsax:

Dana22:

Gregor's a knight, Sandor is most vociferously not. He comes close to physically assaulting anyone who tries to call him "Ser". In order to be a knight, and therefore Ser, one must be anointed in the 7 oils and officially granted the title. He's of House Clegane by birth, and technically a retainer of House Lannister, but he's not a knight.

Yeah, I had to watch each episode twice. I'm not gonna read a book. You read a book.

@Dana22

Not that I ever recall in the series so far.

docsax:
@Dana22

Not that I ever recall in the series so far.

I hope the writers do not continue down the road of cartoon villainy. The whole scene where the Queen demands that the other wolf be killed is over the top. I felt like saying to the screen: "I get it - she's a villain. Congrats on reading your tropes and knowing that bad guys must kill the pets of the good guys. " Yeesh. So cliche. If the books are like this, then the tv writers need to clean it up.

In contrast - Peter Dinklage is pretty great. More writing like that and this show will be a success.

Dana22:

The Diabolical Biz:

Nahh Sandor makes it very clear that he's not a knight because of the whole incident with his brother. He hates his brother. He's the prince's hound, but definitely not a knight.

SO.. can you tell me how exactly did the boy stayed in Coma for over a month without any kind of food or hydration?
it is also like this on the book? blackmagic?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here