Review SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy Seals

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Greg Tito:
Review SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy Seals

Operational command of bland

Read Full Article

So Greg, are you playing the game after you're done with the review?

This piqued my curiosity when I got Killzone 3 (with Move) and in it showed a preview and beta invite for SOCOM 4. I never got into SOCOM when it came out, or after. I was more involved in the PC shooter arena, like Rainbow Six and such.

I was only curious to see what they might do with their SOCOM baby, with Move, but alas, it appears they didn't do much and the Move accessory is more of a hindrance than a perk, which is what I expected.

Also, releasing during the Great PSN Outage of 2011 does not a good business strategy make. Not like they had a choice, mind you, but I've never known SOCOM to be interesting for it's single-player, so it's surely not a good outlook so far.

I'll grab it when it's cheap.

The mostly negative/mediocre reviews indicate a relatively fast price drop. Should easily be $20 by September.

The co-op sounds fun to me, from what friends tell me, and PS3 needs more co-op. The competitive online seemed really boring from the Beta, though. And the campaign will mildly entertain, at least. I'm easy to please. :)

I saw that coming the moment when I saw regenerative health, and played like a third person shooter. That's not SOCOM.

I'm glad you were as harsh on this game as you were. Reviewers and consumers alike need to be more demanding in the quality of the games, not just with First-Person shooters/Third-Person shooters either. While in all honesty I have yet to play the full game, from the beta I have played it was just bland and boring as hell (yes, I realize that a beta is a work in progress, but it also shows what the developer is aiming for, and videos show pretty much the same thing I dealt with).

We need to demand more from our games. Enough with the same, set-piece driven, explosion-ridden, cutscene-fillin', samey story-givin', standard games trying to copy Call of Duty-n', crap we get all the time.

from your review I was expecting 1 or 2 stars, not 3.

Such a shame. SOCOM is meant to be about stealth and efficiency, not glueing yourself to a wall and waiting for bullets to fall out of your face.

I still remember how much trouble Prison Break on Admiral gave me in SOCOM1. So much so that I had to map out the level and plan for every outcome. Regardless of difficulty, you get shot too much and you die. No healing. Whatsoever. And if you're even one man down that'll severely hurt your chances of a succesful mission.

Why must they now resort to developing CoD clones?

DAVEoftheDEAD:
The beta was very fun, Your opinion sucks.

I do hope this is a sarcastic comment.

I guess I have to call this game out as a total G.R.A.W. clone.

On the plus side, it's still better than Confrontation.

P.S. Thanks

funny people at the MK midnight release were choosing this over MK and portal 2..lol

I enjoyed Socom 4, wish to play it multi more but...

Dango:

DAVEoftheDEAD:

I'm dead serious besides how the camera is when you get up close to a enemy I love the games multiplayer.

teqrevisited:
Why must they now resort to developing CoD clones?

Because COD sells... Im going to go cry in the shower as I try to wash the stench of this truth off of me...

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Dango:

DAVEoftheDEAD:

I'm dead serious besides how the camera is when you get up close to a enemy I love the games multiplayer.

1. Was that a sentence?

2. An opinion cannot "suck", that's what makes it an opinion.

Wow, you really tore that game a new one. It was actually pretty funny... Oh yeah, the game looks pretty boring too.

Also, I would say to anyone who is going to buy this game that their money is better spent on GRAW. You know, a game that is not a blatant attempt to steal COD's player base...

What is it with this website and A Song of Ice and Fire?

thepope24:
I guess I have to call this game out as a total G.R.A.W. clone.

BreakfastMan:
Wow, you really tore that game a new one. It was actually pretty funny... Oh yeah, the game looks pretty boring too.

Also, I would say to anyone who is going to buy this game that their money is better spent on GRAW. You know, a game that is not a blatant attempt to steal COD's player base...

Except GRAW Sucks big fat stinky balls when compared to Ghost Recon and Raven Sheild. So I guess either way SOCOM sucks?

gah fucking christ zipper...

all they had to do, literally ALL THEY HAD TO DO, was update socom 2 with HD graphics, and it would have sold like hotcakes..the controls were so much faster, better camera placement, more control as it is, better maps (from what i saw) and better community control with clans and such.

instead of attempting to claw at mainstream COD goobers, stay strong, "if you build it, they will come"

*goes back to nostalgic mode of socom 1 and 2*

That gameplay does look like shit. They're all walking around on top of each other in the open, spraying bullets around. It looks like some sort of JRPG.

Halo and Mass Effect have more realistic-looking firefights than that.

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Dango:

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Opinions do not suck. You can feel free to disagree, but the opinion itself is just as vaild.

As for the game, seems the worst of both worlds to me. I've never been particularly good at tactics, but that just means I would know to steer clear of SOCOM, as it's (or at least, the other ones) was clearly not for me. I would think most twitch-shooters like myself would reach the same conclusion. So who were they making this game for?

Im having fun with SOCOM 4 Im happy with my purchase

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Sure, the beta may have been fun, but you can't exactly review the multiplayer portion when the Playstation Network is down. And simply reviewing the beta would be silly since, well, its a beta, and not what the final multiplayer would be.

Irridium:

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Sure, the beta may have been fun, but you can't exactly review the multiplayer portion when the Playstation Network is down. And simply reviewing the beta would be silly since, well, its a beta, and not what the final multiplayer would be.

Look up Minecraft.

One Hit Noob:

Irridium:

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Look up Minecraft.

The Minecraft beta is still available to play. The SOCOM 4 one isn't.

Irridium:

One Hit Noob:

Irridium:

Look up Minecraft.

The Minecraft beta is still available to play. The SOCOM 4 one isn't.

Of course, the Minecraft beta is still available to play, but that doesn't answer my unimplied question. In my opinion, you just stated that Minecraft can be reviewable because it is available to play. But according to this statement,

And simply reviewing the beta would be silly since, well, its a beta

something is obviously wrong.

This game looks way more fun and has better graphics than Dragon Age 2 so why did you poop all over this one? Oh yeah, its because Bioware didn't make it. Did you guys not get enough free swag from the studio to make you change your mind on this one? At least try and sound reasonably critical about it. The game may have been bad but it couldn't have been that horrendous.

Panopticon01:
This game looks way more fun and has better graphics than Dragon Age 2 so why did you poop all over this one? Oh yeah, its because Bioware didn't make it. Did you guys not get enough free swag from the studio to make you change your mind on this one? At least try and sound reasonably critical about it. The game may have been bad but it couldn't have been that horrendous.

Or maybe it could have been that bad and the Dragon Age 2 thing could have been completely unrelated to anything in this review. He sounded "reasonably critical" to me.

OT: None of these shooters really have anything going for them (When they start bragging about graphics, you know they've run out of ideas). It's really a shame that, with the idea of tactics in SOCOM 4, they ended up going for a more linear COD-esque game just to make some quick money.

Well, at least they tried to spice it up with the bad idea that was motion controls.

Panopticon01:

Uhm, it did get 3 stars, which says it's not terrible, but that it's not good either, and well it was his opinion of the game. It's a game that's supposed to be a tactical shooter, while it isn't. It also got nothing to do with the Navy, so even in the title it makes claims to be something that it isn't. Seriously, it's an opinion, either become a dictator or let it be.

Dango:

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Dango:

1. Was that a sentence?

2. An opinion cannot "suck", that's what makes it an opinion.

1. maybe

2. But I can opinionize his opinion to be "sucks" worthy
Opinions can be whatever we want them to be. But thats just my opinion and it only means shit to me and whoever willing to comment on it.

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Dango:

Opinions do not suck. You can feel free to disagree, but the opinion itself is just as vaild.

As for the game, seems the worst of both worlds to me. I've never been particularly good at tactics, but that just means I would know to steer clear of SOCOM, as it's (or at least, the other ones) was clearly not for me. I would think most twitch-shooters like myself would reach the same conclusion. So who were they making this game for?

Opinions are like assholes they all stink but mine.
They made SOCOM just for me. It says so on the box.

I don't like bad games, I sometimes like reviews of bad games, but I really love editorial web sites that are independent from game companies so they can publish any verdict a tester comes to.

Thank you, Escapist.

One Hit Noob:

Irridium:

DAVEoftheDEAD:

Look up Minecraft.

Yeah, that "Minecraft is a beta" crap needs to stop.

Tell me then, how often do betas cost 20 bucks?

If it's sold, it's a product. Minecraft, in this stage, is a product. A beta is a demo of a product.

Minecraft Beta even has a fucking demo.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)