303: Glitching the Tank

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Glitching the Tank

With four players of dubious ability, far too many zombies, and 35 Gamerscore points on the line, sometimes you just have to cheat.

Read Full Article

Ahhhhhh left 4 dead glitches. Personally I managed to complete all the expert campaigns legitimately (I have VERY good friends), but resorted to the finale glitch for my very last achievement, the one requiring a full campaign runthrough without a single zombie touching you.

EDIT oops actually typed the captcha text in there...

I know the finale glitch worked for achieves but I didn't realise it worked for expert too :@

Also, there's a part glitch on Blood Harvest, there's a thin ledge along the house that you can run onto (just about, 2nd floor outside) and a tank can't hit you, if he runs to the ground to throw rocks you run back to the side before popping out and shotgunning him again, smokers are a real threat here but.. we managed to persevere.

1. There are no Zombies in Left4Dead. Even the developers said their monsters are infected humans.
2. What is a "Gamescore"?
3. No, never, under no circumstances what so ever are cheats, exploits or glitches okay - at least in a MP game.

The Imp:
1. There are no Zombies in Left4Dead. Even the developers said their monsters are infected humans.
2. What is a "Gamescore"?
3. No, never, under no circumstances what so ever are cheats, exploits or glitches okay - at least in a MP game.

Dude take a chill pill, for the first 2 points, stop being so pedantic and for the 3rd, well who the hell cares? It's an achievement, if it were something competetive fair enough, glitching puts the other players at a disadvantage but for co-op who the hell cares? Everyone wins.

OT: nice article, there's only been a few games where i've bothered to go for all the achievements, which were all single player so i never really considered them to be something which could create such good teamwork but you've made me want to start playing left 4 dead again so i can try.

Good article, made me chuckle. I play a lot of left4dead, but not much on expert. That is just crazy-talk.

Meh. I suppose I'd have found the article more interesting if it wasn't for the fact I'm constantly playing L4D2 on expert or advanced (mostly the former) on the most ridiculous custom maps because my one friend insists the game is too easy otherwise (and in some cases, he's right).

That being said, I did sort of cheat to get the all-expert achievement in L4D2 when the mutations came out. Just Gib fest on the maps on expert by yourself. Since I didn't play with others much in doing that, I felt it was find to run through all the maps with the m60... and it was fun too. :D

I finished all the campaigns on expert with 1 friend and 2 bots, It really wansn't anything too hard... Although I do have something like 500 hours in L4D.

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell:
Once on the plane, the only real threat was smokers, but yet another bug offered immunity to their attack provided someone was constantly meleeing you.

That's not a bug. Meleeing someone who is grabbed by a smoker releases them.

I've always taken achievements as something that's an achievement, so I would never cheat my way to them. I'm not even gonna try and get an achievement like "don't use any medkits throughout the campaign" on easy mode, it's expert or nothing.
I can guess they matter a lot more to people on xbox live than on PC. On PC (Steam) you don't get any points, you just unlock the achievement in the achievement list for the game. Of course in Games For Windows Live you get points just like on xbox live, but let's not talk about that abomination.

pneuma08:

Once on the plane, the only real threat was smokers, but yet another bug offered immunity to their attack provided someone was constantly meleeing you.

That's not a bug. Meleeing someone who is grabbed by a smoker releases them.

Well I can imagine he meant they won't even try to grab them.

Really enjoyable article, though that may be because I love the L4D franchise and am sort of a achievement whore.
When i got my first game on Steam and saw the achievements, i HAD to get them all. It might take me time, but i WILL get them all (though i do have some worries about TF2. Jesus, over 300 achievements. Fun :D!).

When me and 3 of my friends decided to start trying out expert, we at first used tricks to finish them (for example, in L4D2, the Dark Carnival finale, if you jump to the right place and crouch, no zombies will spawn when the finale crescendo event is on). The difficulty jump from advanced to expert is REALLY big, it was amazing how fast anything could take you down. So we had to make it a bit easier.

But after playing a while, we decided to play it normally. And it's actually fun. Much harder, but the feeling was pretty damn awesome. But still, i know it's fun to do what the article-writer did.

I used ALL of these glitches with my friend to get the achievement myself. Though we at least played through the entire campaign on expert instead of just the finale.
I'm just annoyed that, as far as I know, the Crash Course achievements online are still unobtainable.

Can't say I'm above the satisfaction of teamwork, but achievements like "What are you trying to prove?" ARE below me, sweet Jesus, miles below me!

Even though this was indeed a nice article and I am pleased to hear that you guys have became closer by terms of teamwork, but I must point this out due to something that could help prevent future disaster.

Achievements are for those who wish to earn it based on their primary skills overtime, overcoming something that most players wouldn't go out of their way to do. You guys placed much effort into getting that achievement, but you also cheated to do so. Cheating, regardless that it's a game your purchased, is wrong. What's the point of earning something so great like that when you take the easy way, the shortcuts to obtain it?

Along that, people who do these sort of things tend to take advantage of these types of glitches. In versus mode online on Left 4 Dead, they'll use the 'Jesus Room' or 'Jesus Rock' to hide well from other opposing players and kill them off quickly, spite if they are really expreienced or not. Also in Modern Warfare 2, people cheated by playing free for all, but having mics so one can constantly kill the other and get enough kills (25) to use the 'Nuke' which ends the game. It isn't fair, and you shouldn't take advantage over a system because other players have worked much harder to earn them.

I know I sound a tad harsh, but just think of it this way: If you're at school and taking a test which you took hours out of your day to study and earn that A, you deserve that A. But, if someone has a device or peeps over your paper (aka glicth in game) then that person gains an A on a test with far less effort. Also could be said for Las Vegas, that if you're at a concino and gambling for money (aka achievements) then if you play long enough and really try then you deserve the money you win back. Now, if a person finds a 'flaw' within the game and take advantage of it, then they'll win far more money in a cheap way.

With all that I said, I am still happy you guys were having fun and not giving up on one another. That's what games are all about - having fun and socializing through the virtual world. But, as for the achievements, I had to get on you about that because it's not fair what so ever to other players who truly deserve it. Still, a grand article you've made so props to you and the support from your friends.

huh. exploiting glitches in games really disgusts me.

It's like being proud that each friday night, you and a bunch of like-minded friends, will get together and cheat at monopoly. You could obey the rules, but you prefer to ignore the inconvenient ones - and thus you all end up millionaires! It feels so great for you guys! And if Xbox live were to offer a specialized stamp for being good at monopoly - you could stand proud amongst all of those who have played it long enough to actually demonstrate some skill at the game!

It's not at all what the game designers intended, and it doesn't demonstrate any creativity to Google up glitches (You have not "created your own game"). But you don't have a lot of time.

I'm glad you are happy. Being an anarchist, or a thief, or a protestor, or generally entitled, is hip these days.

Still... getting something without earning it: is not an "achievement" I would want to announce to the world.

(plus, there's a special hell for people who will vote kick you from that game because you don't want to exploit a glitch with them. ugh.).

I find L4D extremely easy, as long as you have decent players and not a bunch of random retards that just bought the game or play with the sound off. I've finished campaigns on expert with people that serendipitously happened to meet up at the same time and were good, though there were teething issues with getting used to the extreme friendly fire damage.

I only play Versus now because that is the only place to get a real challenge from the infected. Although, playing as infected can be difficult if the survivors are at least the slightest bit decent, and especially so in L4D2 where the maps are horribly designed for the infected side (there are so many places that are missing climb ladders).

I admit to consoling a bit to get my expert achievement runs in L4D - specifically I'd use it to "kick" specials that couldn't/wouldn't otherwise be killed. In my defense, I had a reason for doing this: I was running them alone.

Have you tried running expert campaigns with only AI survivors to back you up? It's damn near impossible WITHOUT glitching/exploiting/otherwise breaking the game in some way.

Didn't in the sequel, though. Bile jars are all the "exploit" you need to get through L4D2 on expert. The hardest panic events and finales are transformed into cakewalks if you get lucky enough to have 2-3 bile jars spawn on the map, particularly the scavenge finale for Dead Center. If all you have to worry about are specials and tanks it gets much, much easier.

Fun read. Thanks for sharing. ^.^

Wow. Am I like the only one who didn't know about the Jesus room and Jesus rock?
Interesting read, although I will echo what has already been said. Exploiting a glitch for achievements isn't exactly praiseworthy. I mean, it's nice to get achievements for "bragging rights", so-to-speak, but the manner in which you achieve them also counts. The guy who snags that particular achievement by beating the Expert campaigns fair and square is much more worthy of admiration.
Incidentally, I kinda like XxRyanxX's metaphor, as I was always the type of student to study hard for my good grades while a few others didn't play by the rules. Always annoyed the heck out of me.

I think my fave L4D achievement exploit (wouldn't call it a glitch) is in the airport (Death Toll, was it?), where the tank shows up when you're all still in the safe room, about the second or third chapter in, I believe. Kill your teammates, wait for it to show, and kill it yourself without getting harmed - awesome! Easy gamerscore!

Edit: I just read some of the responses really ragging on exploits so I feel I should back my above response up by saying all 10,400k or so was gotten through solid, normal gameplay, aside from that one.

... and there's really no need to take it all so seriously, gamerscore is not gamerworth :) tis but a number, and a FUN one at that!

Thanks to idiots showing the world their glitches, you get to do it and everyone else that comes after has to do it legitimately because it got patched.
Thanks. Now we have to kill the tank properly.

cute, Nice story! I couldn't relate, because I didn't enjoy L4d, and even less L4D2... but none the less, nice story!~

Great story. My friends and I are also achievement whores, and I totally understand this. For 35GS, I'm willing to do something not so legit...unless it's downright hacking/cheating of course. (For fear of repercussion from MicroSoft, and I lose all my hours of hard work.)

Now, for Blood Harvest, you were RIGHT NEXT to what I would most legitimately call the campaign's 'Jesus Room.' Get a full squad of buddies, and take point in the upper floor of the barn. As long as you guys are competent and cooperative enough to watch EACH OTHERS backs, you can take the infected down from angles before they can even attack a friendly. Also, you are right next to health/ammo, in case of emergencies.

And then when it comes to a Tank, you have the high ground and he has to go either up the platform, or use the ladder, so line up and rain down Hell on him from far, far away. If you're not sure where he will be going, Assault Rifles near the window, Auto Shotties near the ladder.

Seriously, out of all the L4D campaigns, I thought Blood Harvest was the easiest because it was the easiest to predict. Death Toll's Boat House on the other hand...

Articles on the escapist about how friends bond through cheating in a coop game so that they can increase their irrelevant gamerscore?

MEH!

The Imp:

If you are like this in real life, I almost feel sorry for you.

OT: Eh, my friend's kind of like you guys, and I generally take the approach that I'd rather do it myself then jump through hoops to exploit a glitch.

For me, the fun comes more from getting totally destroyed time after time. Expert (on L4D2 at least, haven't played the first game) can be a real bitch though.

after trying for about 3 hours to beat the finale of death toll, with various players leaving and dropping in and leaving again, i just straight up gave up on that achievement and never played any campaign on expert ever again.

I don't often read the article's here, but I enjoyed this one thoroughly.

Great story, and even more fun, it seems you've stepped on some toes by doing this before the patch.
Jealous haters xD

I actually got 1000GS from L4D by playing split-screen co-op with my friend. We spent literally countless hours working on What Are You Trying To Prove. Trust me, it was a pain with the two bots being complete retards all the time. And Nothing Special (the achievement for completing a campaign without any survivors receiving any damage at all from special infected) almost made us cry. But we still got it and a had a blast playing the game.

L4D is SO much damned fun! When my friends & I tried it we found the "Hey Zeus" places, but my GOD we didn't have the patience for being humbled by the AI director so many times! Still one of my favorite gaming experiences!

Glitching for gamerscore, doesnt seem like fun to me to be honest.

Tho im one of those "weird" gamers who play a game get the achievements that i can without bending over backwards and moving on to the next game.

Grinding out a difficult achievement can be fun but glitching to get it just seems a bit over the top instead of, you know, actually trying to achieve the objective via practice and teamwork.

I dunno this whole article smacked of the same mindset that game crackers and pirates have...i wasnt going to get it in the first place so i might as well cheat to get it.

lol @ people comparing glitching to theft. The author bought his game to have fun & it's his to do with as he sees fit. If he wants to use the disk as a plate for burritos, fine. If he wants to glitch it, fine. He had a ton of fun playing with his friends and he isn't hurting any of you, so what's the issue?

Don't give gamerscore/achievements some magical meaning that they don't have. Half of the people with Seriously got it by spending dozens of hours standing in circles taking turns shotgunning each other in the face; people with Aperture Science used the dev code glitch; people who got all the endings for Fable 2 saved it 10 seconds before the ending & reloaded their save 2 times. Hell, there's even an invulnerability glitch for Ninja Gaiden 2, a game reknowned for being nigh-impossible (unless you use the glitch). That's just how it goes.

Great article, btw.

I remember getting 1000 Gamerscore on L4D2. It was the only thing that kept me playing, after the 1000 Gamerscore I completely gave up on it. The teamwork, the glitching, I'd say, DON'T PATCH IT. It's all part of the experience! You can't say after a game loses it's charm, you haven't tried tricking into owning itself. A glitch may help you on your way, or it may just provide humor in a boring-ass game you gave up with a loooong time ago. I agree, it may ruin a game, but it's the point. Ruining a game is fun! (Especially stuff like L4D, after you give up on it.)

If you can do it. Use it.

Glitching the Tank

With four players of dubious ability, far too many zombies, and 35 Gamerscore points on the line, sometimes you just have to cheat.

Read Full Article

It all comes back to what, if anything, the Gamerscore measures... and what the point of this whole "gaming" endeavor really is.

For you, it seems Gamerscore is simply a metric for how much fun you've had. Did you wring every last bit of fun out of this game you've purchased, or did you miss some? That is the accomplishment you're looking to measure, and it's a worthy accomplishment at that.

To others, Gamerscore is a symbol of the catalog of skills they've acquired and demonstrated. To them, this is the worthy accomplishment--not demonstrating dominance of the game itself, but of the skills the game entails (and other gamers).

The only problem, as I see it, is when one side insists that the other adopts the same meaning. Usually, it's the "skill metric" crowd that's insisting, because it's only that particular camp that frequently compares scores with others.

Eleima:
Wow. Am I like the only one who didn't know about the Jesus room and Jesus rock?
Interesting read, although I will echo what has already been said. Exploiting a glitch for achievements isn't exactly praiseworthy. I mean, it's nice to get achievements for "bragging rights", so-to-speak, but the manner in which you achieve them also counts. The guy who snags that particular achievement by beating the Expert campaigns fair and square is much more worthy of admiration.
Incidentally, I kinda like XxRyanxX's metaphor, as I was always the type of student to study hard for my good grades while a few others didn't play by the rules. Always annoyed the heck out of me.

Nope. We used the Jesus Room and the Jesus Rock on No Mercy and the map with the cabin. We nutted up and did it the old fashioned way on Blood Harvest and once again, whatever the other map was called.

I kinda miss the good old days of Left for Dead. Left for Dead 2 just doesn't cut it for me. Maybe it just looks too good or something :/

EDIT: Kill a Tank with melee weapons only. What the sandcastle Valve?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here