The Escapist Presents: 8 Entertaining Portal 2 Achievements

Pages 1 2 NEXT

8 Entertaining Portal 2 Achievements

Eight entertaining Portal 2 achievements and how to make them yours. Narrated by Russ Pitts and Justin Clouse.

Watch Video

Man, you sure made Preservation of Mass harder than it needs to be :D The walls past the fault door are portal surfaces. You can just carry it right in. But then, all the different ways to do stuff in the game is half the fun of it right?

Hiphophippo:
Man, you sure made Preservation of Mass harder than it needs to be :D The walls past the fault door are portal surfaces. You can just carry it right in. But then, all the different ways to do stuff in the game is half the fun of it right?

Heh, apparently it's the order of the day that I completed my achievements in the most round about ways. The Drop Box one was especially "doh" worthy. Oh well.

Slycne:

Hiphophippo:

Heh, apparently it's the order of the day that I completed my achievements in the most round about ways. The Drop Box one was especially "doh" worthy. Oh well.

Oh you should have seen how I did them. Remember geting into pump station Gamma during the Cave Johnson portion? I still don't know how I did it. All I DO know is that the incredible amount of hours I've spent playing Kreedz Climing (hl2 mod) and wall jumping in WoW makes me view puzzles a little differently.

The last one was way harder than it needed to be as well. The walls in the hallway leading to the elevator can have a portal stuck to them; once you get up there, just stick a portal on the wall, go back, stick a portal on any of the easy-to-access walls in the test chamber, grab your companion cube, and the two of you can live happily ever after.

My friends laughed at me when I told them how I got the cube to the elevator, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one that noticed how close the cube was to the ledge and just grabbed it. I like to believe I was too excited about getting it through to think properly.

My favourite is still the "The part where he kills you" just because of the description "This is that part" yeah I know it's a chapter one but so what, it was one of my favourite bits of the game...

Nero Haven:
My friends laughed at me when I told them how I got the cube to the elevator, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one that noticed how close the cube was to the ledge and just grabbed it. I like to believe I was too excited about getting it through to think properly.

I know I did it that way. As did the two other guys in my house who've played it. It just seemed so obvious!

Damn that route for overclocker was alot faster than the way I did it, I kept going up the faith plate and then jumping back down into a portal to get across the gap to the cube instead of the pit, so that when I put a portal in the pit to get back across I would be able to jump back onto teh upper ledge without walking back to the faith plate. It was a little annoying as I had to get the portal placements just right.

Now I just need the all the co-op achievements, damn it come on psn work!

You probably should have put a spoiler warning up for this video... You could have spoiled a number of plot twists and test chambers.

Then again, since every man and his companion cube has already completed Portal 2, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I rather enjoyed getting the Smash T.V. achievement. His comments as you progressively destroyed the screens were hilarious.

Slycne:

Hiphophippo:

You just need to think with Portals more :P.

I think it is interesting how puzzle games change how we see the world. Play a lot of puzzle quest, and/or bejewelled, and you'll start seeing 4 of a kind patterns. Play a lot of portal, and the white surfaces in your day to day life will start being more noticeable.

Man, I got the mastery of the conversion gel achievement in such a weird way, I had to go to youtube to find the right way to do the puzzle.

Glamorgan:
You probably should have put a spoiler warning up for this video... You could have spoiled a number of plot twists and test chambers.

Then again, since every man and his companion cube has already completed Portal 2, I guess it doesn't really matter.

If anyone looking at an achievement walkthrough video suggests they're genuinely offended by spoilers, I will personally punch them in the face. ;)

The Drop Box Achievement can be done much earlier in the game and much easier.
At the beginning when you go through the Portal 1 Chambers there is a part where a Companion Cube is released from a container and dropped into the pit.
If you place a portal at the bottom of the pit before it hits the ground it's Velocity will send it flying towards the switch.

These guys were not thinking with portals. ;)

I only came to the comments to tell you off for doing Drop Box and Preservation of Mass the hard way.

Incidentally, I got Scanned Alone accidentally because I thought that was what I was supposed to do. I thought I could be the template for the turrets :D

At the end of the companion cube level, I saw that the emancipation grid was down before GLaDOS even started talking, and immediately went back for the cube. :D

Crikey guys, you sure know how to make life difficult for yourselves.

Hiphophippo:

Oh, you should've seen how hard I made it for myself. I spent literally 25+ minutes (on my second playthrough) trying to work out an elaborate way to launch both myself and the cube onto the platform where the doorway is. I failed repeatedly before thinking "screw it, I don't want this achievement if it's that difficult to get"... But on my way out of the chamber, I finally realized the portal surfaces you mentioned.

The whole ordeal was worthy of many, many face-palms.

No spoiler warnings? :(

FungiGamer:

Surely the title of the video would have been enough.

The best part about "The part where he kills you" is the stuff he says to try to get you to jump into the pit. I kind of want to go back and do that bit just to hear about all the stuff again.

Weirdest ways to do those achievements?!

Cool video. Wonder what's worse for the turret though, redemption or emancipation grid?
Pitt Boss is my absolute favorite achievement in that game. "Could you please jump into this pit? Oh good, didn't think that would work." At least I think that's how the quote goes. Either way it's priceless.

FungiGamer:

Hey so I heard achievement walkthroughs sometimes involve gameplay.

Russ Pitts:

Glamorgan:

If anyone looking at an achievement walkthrough video suggests they're genuinely offended by spoilers, I will personally punch them in the face. ;)

I am genuninely offended by spoilers. Please, I would gladly let you punch me in the face.

OT: At last, The don't touchy turret achievement and a full walkthrough of the overclocker.

Optimystic:

FungiGamer:

Of course, but narration like "just after the part when he kills you?", and telling us that it's 'Wheatley's plan to kill Glados' doesn't assist in getting the achievement.

Justin doesn't stray, why not the EDITOR-IN-CHIEF?

Fangface74:

Optimystic:

FungiGamer:

Of course, but narration like "just after the part when he kills you?", and telling us that it's 'Wheatley's plan to kill Glados' doesn't assist in getting the achievement.

Justin doesn't stray, why not the EDITOR-IN-CHIEF?

If a given achievement is only available at a certain point in the storyline, you have to describe it so that players know when to look out for it.

While I see nothing wrong with them throwing a spoiler warning in the article, I don't think it's necessary either. When I see "achievements," I expect story reveals.

Optimystic:

If a given achievement is only available at a certain point in the storyline, you have to describe it so that players know when to look out for it.

While I see nothing wrong with them throwing a spoiler warning in the article, I don't think it's necessary either. When I see "achievements," I expect story reveals.

Portal 2's level structure is so compartmentalized it's not hard to find your way around without using plot-points.

There are hundreds of achievement guide videos around that don't need the spoiler warning because the narrator uses only what you need to get them: game mechanics.

do we really need walkthroughs here? leave that stuff to youtube. dont clutter up the escapist with it.

Fangface74:

Optimystic:

Portal 2's level structure is so compartmentalized it's not hard to find your way around without using plot-points.

There are hundreds of achievement guide videos around that don't need the spoiler warning because the narrator uses only what you need to get them: game mechanics.

Isn't entertainment the primary purpose of an Escapist video? (It certainly is for this one - it's right there in the video's title.) Sure they could have done a video with annotation, no narration, and Drowning Pool/Limp Bizkit playing in the background. They chose not to.

It's true, you can find dozens of videos to grab all the achievements on myriad other sites. Why then did you watch this one? Why watch ANY video on this site?

Does this make anyone else clamor for a Co-op playthrough video with two Editors? Not the whole way through; Just record you're playthrough and edit together the most hilarious parts, maybe? I pick.....any combination of Russ Pitts, Susan Arendt and Steve Butts. Well how bout it guys?

OT: I tried to smuggle out the Companion cube in a RIDICULOUSLY obtuse way for 15 minutes and then gave up....

well, roosterteeth beat you to most of them, as well as being more informative most of the time. Was a bit of a waste to me though as I only need 2 more, portal professor (something like that, forget its name) 75g, and winning rock paper sissors 20g

Fangface74:

Optimystic:

Sure, you could explain that one part as "The part in Chapter 9 with the crushers", but every single person who played this game will remember it better as "The part where he kills you" because it's said, like, 4 times at that point.

Either way, it's an achievement video. On the Escapist. Spoilers are implied. You have no right to complain.

I got the turret scan by mistake........... I didn't even notice i got it lol

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or