Trailers: The Witcher 2: Combat Overview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Witcher 2: Combat Overview

Explore and customize Geralt's combat abilities in The Witcher 2.

Watch Video

I don't think anyone is that interested in the combat, wheres the video for the chicks you can bang?

Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed to see that the skill trees have been cut down so drastically, but on the other hand, the Witcher's skill system was somewhat convulted and bloated, maybe this is for the better, I'm not sure.

"Deadly Effective"? Someone has to make a Meme out of that. >.>

Arachon:
Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed to see that the skill trees have been cut down so drastically, but on the other hand, the Witcher's skill system was somewhat convulted and bloated, maybe this is for the better, I'm not sure.

Sure it has been cut down but 80% or even more of the skill options in The Witcher were just things like additional pain or damage, little to do with strategy.

Based on what we've seen it seems each skill choice adds a new element into the combat. You'll start with bombs that just unleash fire, then you eventually learn to add flammable gas to that original bomb.

Least, I'm assuming that the cut down of skills means that each one does stuff like that.

I really can't wait for this game. I wish it would come out sooner, I've been excited about this for a while.

Well, it does look nice, though i haven't even played the first one , so what do i know.
Still, I'd try this out. Some of that combat looked liked Batman:AA, though a bit less fluid. But nice enough for me.

Wow.. this has come a long way since the previews.

Any word on a.. console-release just yet..?

nipsen:
Wow.. this has come a long way since the previews.

Any word on a.. console-release just yet..?

Yes. ...Sorta.

That looked awesome! Now I just gotta finish up my latest Witcher 1 run to get a nice save-file to export :P.

Why cant i freeze myself untill the lunch =(?

I want this game. Right fucking now.

danyy2009:
Why cant i freeze myself untill the lunch =(?

I don't think the lunch is good enough to freeze yourself for...

Witty Name Here:

As a polish native speaker I don't see why such translation is a big thing - it's a normal word metaphor.

The first one bore me just after the tourturial ended - I hope this one will do a better job.

It looks like CD Projekt are taking the cue from other great devs like Bioware and Bethesda: improvement via simplification and streamlining. This is a GREAT thing for people like me who love RPGs but don't have oodles of time to spend on insanely complex systems.

Loved the first game, but it was wicked cumbersome. This looks like a much smoother - and hopefully less tedious - experience. Can't wait!

WANT!

Am I going to be the only person to say that this might be the most gorgeous RPG made to date?

Looking great!

Looking very pretty. This might be some of the cleanest looking fighting in games. It looks like a lot of blocks and parrying before landing one or two actual blows to kill someone. I like that more than chopping away at health.

Arachon:

They haven't been cut down drastically, there are just fewer icons. The Witcher 1 had a lot of icons because each individual level had it's own icon, while in The Witcher 2, only individual skills have their own icon, you increase the level using the same icon.

I can't be the only one who finds the accent of the guy in the video grating. I'm sure my own accent is much worse but this is a trailer for a major RPG, couldn't you have found an English person to read it for you? Maybe an eager fan? I'm sure you could have found someone to do it for free if you tried. I just found it distracting and at odds with the stunning visuals on screen.

Bitching aside I like what I see, everything so far makes it sound like an excellent game. It's a shame I won't be able to play it on my ancient PC. :(

mexicola:
I can't be the only one who finds the accent of the guy in the video grating. I'm sure my own accent is much worse but this is a trailer for a major RPG, couldn't you have found an English person to read it for you? Maybe an eager fan? I'm sure you could have found someone to do it for free if you tried. I just found it distracting and at odds with the stunning visuals on screen.

Bitching aside I like what I see, everything so far makes it sound like an excellent game. It's a shame I won't be able to play it on my ancient PC. :(

I think this is far, far better than what you are suggesting. At least now you know (or at least get the feeling) that the guy telling it is not some random English dude, but a developer who knows what the hell he is talking about. Besides, his English is very good, he just has an accent and pronounces some words slightly wrong (but still in ways that you can totally understand what he's saying).

Anyway, the game sounds nice. But like you, I probably can't play it on this PC.

Kind of reminds me of Fable 3, except the combat actually looks challenging and varied beyond "spam AOE".

This and BF3 prove why PC-lead games are the way forward :)

I don't really have anything to say besides "fucking awesome" but as a huge fan of the Witcher, both game and books (not the movie though, that shit was awful) I had a need to comment on this.

"Pffft! You guyz need more button-awesome connection! I mean, who sets up trapz during battle! And those swordz! Plzzz, my sword is like 4 of yours tied together!
What you need to do is stick a Dragon in right away. Your playerz will get bored otherwize!
Hawke rulez!

Though seriously, that is looking pretty slick. Cant wait to get hold of my copy.

1. Holy crap, were there colors in that game? Like aside from grey and brown? Damn, when did people start doing that!

2. What kind of accent was that guy speaking in. I could not identify it.

Can't wait for this. I'm almost reluctant to look at too much press for this game because I know it'll be amazing and I want it to rock my socks off on first impression. Combat looks ok, although a little clunky, still more interesting than the 1st. I read all the books, and they seemed very swordplay-heavy and technical, using a bunch of terms of longsword martial arts that I had to look up later. Concentrated a lot on footwork,weight distribution, parrying and all that. So this looks like it's trying to take that more into context, as well as all the magic.

Stevepinto3:
1. Holy crap, were there colors in that game? Like aside from grey and brown? Damn, when did people start doing that!

2. What kind of accent was that guy speaking in. I could not identify it.

1) i know! What was that weird leafy colour?

2) Polish

Old time RPG'er who prefers actual story and depth in his games.. but even I think the combat looks pretty damned awesome in this.

I have this on Pre-order. I can't bloody wait.

Witty Name Here:

Yeah, I want to know how they got Borat to do the voiceover. Seriously, what the HELL was that guy's nationality?

Zeetchmen:
I don't think anyone is that interested in the combat, wheres the video for the chicks you can bang?

Your avatar makes your comment all kinds of disturbing.

OT: I have the Collector's Edition preordered, I'm really looking forward to this game. I feel confident CD Projekt Red haven't pulled a Dragon Age 2 here, they've simplified without dumbing down.
I don't know why people are complaining about the voiceover with it's Polish accent - I found it downright refreshing after being constantly subjected to heavy American accents in most other media.

It does look nice. I hated the whole stance thing that Witcher 1 had. It made combat into pretty much rock paper scissors except the enemy could only pick one thing, and you knew what it was. I always wanted to like The Witcher but everything that people said was wrong with it was stuff I can't stand. I'm looking forward to Witcher 2, for now.

Arachon:

Seems to me that this skill system was in need of a cut down, the only purpose of the three styles in the first Witcher was to make the combat feel more complex then it really was. It doesn't seem like you can do any less, just that there's less bullshit micro managing to work through. Remember, size doesn't equal depth.

In fact, it seems to me that you can do a lot more, in the first game there weren't any active abilities that you learned in combat, all the swordfighting talents were passive and there were no physics to speak of. Since the combat is real time and you have more control over the characters actions, you can be more strategic and specific then you could by just telling him when and who to attack.

The engine the first Witcher ran on was made for party based RPG's like KOTOR or Dragon Age, Dragon Age II went the action route for no conceivable reason other then to appeal to people who wouldn't play it anyway, but since The Witcher is set up more like an action game(One guy with special powers), it makes sense that the base gameplay would be controlled like an action game.

Time to collect some cards.

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook