Escapist Podcast: Bully Kid, Karaoke Violence & Top Games

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Bully Kid, Karaoke Violence & Top Games

In this continuation of our first episode, Yahtzee and Mikey continue their discussion - ranging from console speculations to rugby.

Watch Video

Okay, stuck with it this far, interested for next week

Here is the article Yahtzee was talking about. He wasn't lying at all.
http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/dearnintendo03.htm

Love the podcast but please for the love of God I swear you must have said the word "brilliant" at least 30 times. There are other adjectives out there.

I opened it up and saw that it was an hour.

I thought to myself, "AN HOUR!"

I listened to the whole thing regardless.
I find it informative in a very geeky sort of way.

I think what you should do is set it so there is an image in the middle but with your web-cam images at either edge so we can see what Yahtzee was doing with his hands... and his voice coming from a kitten.
Really great otherwise.

Really enjoyed this one.
There isn't necessarily a specific reason, just a really good way to spend an hour, I'd listen to you ramble for far more than that honestly.

Entertaining is probably the single word I'd boil it down to.

I actually chose this before Extra Credits, that's worth some points I think.

I know everyone hates people who comment without watching the video, but can I just say I like that this one is longer. As a regular listener of Podcasts I can't stand ones that are too short. Now I can listen to this on the way to work tonight.

EDIT: And I know it's been said before, but can we PLEASE have an audio only version? I mean 117Mb is a bit big for a podcast with a minor visual element. good thing I have space on my iPod.

Still no MP3 download? Don't you want me to listen to it?

I was shocked that it was an hour but I did not mind.
it was pretty cool. and the thing about yahtzee playing rugby in the freezing cold.
yeah I have had similar experiences but not with rugby.

I found this really interesting.

Not sure if you folks are planning to make it a regular thing, but I'm definitely turning up next week.

Hey you can not talk about console graphics and show the DX11 3dmark benchmark. It makes no sense. Graphics are still far from the limit. What happens is that makes much better graphics is somewhat expensive. No small studio can do this, no big studio you push to much the limit without garanting their publilshers they will sell well.

Did really enjoy it but I would much rather it come out in 15 minute chunks every day rather than one MASSIVE block once a week. It's recorded in one long session anyway so surely it makes no difference to the production how you upload it. It's not easy to find a spare hour in which I can sit down and listen to it all.

Very nice! Much more entertaining than the first podcast!

...but wait, what was that at the end about this being the first podcast?! Have editorial staff been cheating us all this time?

brazuca:
Hey you can not talk about console graphics and show the DX11 3dmark benchmark. It makes no sense. Graphics are still far from the limit. What happens is that makes much better graphics is somewhat expensive. No small studio can do this, no big studio you push to much the limit without garanting their publilshers they will sell well.

I don't think "limit" is the right word here, but we've definitely come to a point of diminishing returns with graphics. Let's look at 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and today: if you compare graphics in 2001 with graphics in 2006 there was a difference that was much more dramatic than comparing 2006 with now.

Today you have to spend much more to get marginally better graphics that don't impress as much as they did before.

Allan Foe:
Very nice! Much more entertaining than the first podcast!

...but wait, what was that at the end about this being the first podcast?! Have editorial staff been cheating us all this time?

This was the first recorded podcast, that was presented in two pieces, first one last week and now the 2nd part of the same podcast. Probably because it takes some time to edit and they needed to fill some spot last week or something like this.

Oi! I love dodge-ball and I am pretty good at it! Not a boys only thing that, same as Cowboys(girl) and Indians.

That tidbit aside: Good discussion there.

Any way you could add a third guy? Not that Mikey or Yahtzee aren't insightful, but they just don't seem to synergize that well in this format.

Might I suggest adding someone from Extra Credits or someone like Graham Stark? This whole conversation just feels like it's missing a person.

sniperworm:
Still no MP3 download? Don't you want me to listen to it?

Gotta agree. I quite enjoy it and find it very entertaining (but still hope we'll see an expanded cast at some point, even if they aren't all an hour long), but I don't understand why there isn't an MP3 version and an audio only stream.

tautologico:

brazuca:

I don't think "limit" is the right word here, but we've definitely come to a point of diminishing returns with graphics. Let's look at 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and today: if you compare graphics in 2001 with graphics in 2006 there was a difference that was much more dramatic than comparing 2006 with now.

Today you have to spend much more to get marginally better graphics that don't impress as much as they did before.

Agreed at this pont most games graphics are good enough and instead some of resources could be used in to improve other areas the games, hopefully at least, I mean demanding better and better graphics for AAA games will not be financially viable forever without the prices of games rising to cover the costs. And none of us want that.

Wow, this one was really great. In the previous one it sounded as though it was awkward for you to talk to eachother and when the two of you wanted to talk at the same time you didn't know who should talk and who should listen for a while. This episode had a much better flow and it was much more entertaining.

EDIT: The previous episode made me think that you should get a third guy, but you improved enough for this one so I don't think you need it. I also don't mind the length of it. I don't like having to switch from episode to episode all the time.

Another good episode.

I was surprised to hear Mikey watched Step Up 3D and mentioned the 3D parts (the water splashing was my favorite also).

And all this talk about Deus Ex, I have it saved on my Steam Wishlist. If I joined during the one day sale for 99 cents (or something else), I could've bought it. Still plan on buying it though.

YES, yahtzee and Mike podcast. Awesome idea, keep making them...
But yeah you need a third person, just like how 4 people is a perfect team number in games, 3 is perfect in podcasts. You have the two opposite opinions and the middle ground man that adds a just a little more insite into the argument, otherwise you just have two oppininoated people ranting back and forth before moving onto something else. More then three still works I guess but then someone ends up with less airtime..

A well spent hour, I enjoyed this a lot. Keep up the great work.

Lots of fun listening to these two podcasts so far. I'm really looking forward to more. I'm excited for the future. If every episode of this were an hour long I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Lovely way to spend an hour. Podcasts should be around this length, I think, as it provides enough time for several subjects to be discussed.

And as a few before me have mentioned, a third guy wouldn't hurt. I'd love hearing Graham Stark in somthing like this.

MAKE. MORE. OF. THIS.

Watched it from the start as background noise while I did work (just like I do with Lets Plays) and found it terribly amusing. Glad to see the editors have allowed the guys a longer stretch to work with as well.

Despite being about six times longer than an average Escapist production these can't be terribly hard to make really, so it's good economy for the quality of the results. Mike is growing on me.

So yeah... let's see more of these guys!

So Yahtzee went to Rugby huh... that would explain his hatred for the world :P

I liked Mikey's Impression of Yahtzee "Hate, Hate, Hate"
If Yahtzee was a wrestler, his signature move would be the Snarky Suplex.

STOP SAYING "NITCH". It's "niche", jeeez.

That said this is pretty cool, me likes.

You know, this was actually the first time I saw that bully body slam video. And Christ, that looked fucking painful.

Oh and nice postcast btw.

HankMan:

It would make a grown man cry.

HankMan:

It would make a grown man cry

I just wanted to say that I really liked the fact that it is a longer format. It gives them the opportunity to sort of wander off into the weeds with things, bringing up topics and perspectives that they might not otherwise stumble onto in shorter snippets. The strength of it is definitely their quite different perspectives on things, and constraining it would probably reduce the particular charm it has. As a neophyte developer, it's really interesting to see some of the point-counterpoint that they get going from a developer/reviewer on some things.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here