Mortal Kombat Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Mortal Kombat Review

Mortal Kombat kind of lost its mind for a while, but it's feeling much, much better now.

Read Full Article

I really enjoy this game. It's actually the first fighter game I've played with any continuity, and it's great. It's quite easy to just pick up a controller and start playing. The story mode is a good amount of fun. My only problem are the 1v2 fights which can be ridiculous.

Good review, but I thought the reason why the 10th tournament is very important is because it requires ten consecutive wins to invade another realm, and their main enemy has already won 9 successive times? Also, babalities are still in the game. Dunno about the others though.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I gotta say, all the info I saw about the game caught my interest.

So this is the kind of video where you don't ask for my date of birth? Why, that makes perfect sense! Put an age-gate on harmless stuff but not here!

Anyway, looks like a fun game, but the gore is a little too much for my taste. It made me cringe a bit to just watch the video.

HK_01:
snip

Strangely enough though, the vast majority of the blood and gore are cut off in story mode. There aren't even fatalities in that, because they need the characters alive.

Sinclose:
Good review, but I thought the reason why the 10th tournament is very important is because it requires ten consecutive wins to invade another realm, and their main enemy has already won 9 successive times? Also, babalities are still in the game. Dunno about the others though.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I gotta say, all the info I saw about the game caught my interest.

Ah, perhaps you're right about why the 10th is so fired-up important. The thing about the babalities is now MK has a very wink-and-a-nod feel to it. It knows it's being silly and is just fine with that - exactly the right attitude for this series.

Finally. I was really worried there would be no MK review at all.

So... Glad to hear it's good, but I have one important question - how's the balance? Is there any overpowered character, or one who you shouldn't even bother playing with? It's important to me, because every time I pick up a fighter, it turns out I'm taking the crappiest guy of the bunch (Anji Mito in GG, Tager in BlazBlue [although I managed to skill up with him, so at least I'm able to beat up my friends and sometimes even compete on-line], Rock in Soul Calibur III & IV etc.)

Oh God yes Susan. The ending of the video assured you as my favorite reviewer.

Anyways, does it still have all the characters from previous ones? Because I rented Armageddon and took a liking to Blaze.

Ordered a copy of this today, might not get it till next tuesday though. Thanks Royal Wedding and May Day... Looks surprisingly good though. Haven't really played a mortal kombat game since back on the playstation.

Edit: Anyone know how long the story mode is, by the way?

Susan Arendt:

Sinclose:

Ah, perhaps you're right about why the 10th is so fired-up important. The thing about the babalities is now MK has a very wink-and-a-nod feel to it. It knows it's being silly and is just fine with that - exactly the right attitude for this series.

Personally the babalities of the game I've seen on Youtube are hilarious. Especially stuff like baby Kratos! XD

And would you believe I've never really had an interest in fighting games but this game got me interested enough to read about the series? Shame games are so expensive here, else this is the 1st fighting game I might actually consider buying.

I thought the fatalities were easier to pull off then ever (they have been simplified), but that's just me.

Emphasis on "Rip you in Half", Susan

this game is to splitting bodies what Dead or Alive games are to boobs

Yossarian1507:

So... Glad to hear it's good, but I have one important question - how's the balance? Is there any overpowered character, or one who you shouldn't even bother playing with? It's important to me, because every time I pick up a fighter, it turns out I'm taking the crappiest guy of the bunch (Anji Mito in GG, Tager in BlazBlue [although I managed to skill up with him, so at least I'm able to beat up my friends and sometimes even compete on-line], Rock in Soul Calibur III & IV etc.)

It's impossible to make any comments on balance yet since the game hasn't been out long enough and tiers and such only really become relevant at really high levels of play. From my experience though, the game is fairly balanced because most characters have the same basic tools and projectiles aren't the huge deal that they are in say SFIV. That being said, characters with a quick dependable teleport you can use to to punish from any range have a little bit of an edge.

EDIT: The only characters I actively dislike right now are Kano (because his inputs are just weird) and Kitana.

Also. I'm a fellow Tager player and hey, at least he's better than Rachel.

AroLombardi:
Oh God yes Susan. The ending of the video assured you as my favorite reviewer.

Anyways, does it still have all the characters from previous ones? Because I rented Armageddon and took a liking to Blaze.

Looking at the Wikipedia, no. The roster have most of the fighters from MK3 + Quan Chi from MK4, and Cyber Sub-Zero (WTF? I'm curious about that one) + DLC brings up Kenshi from MK: Deadly Alliance.

Stop teasing me, I'm Australian.

Ha! I was hoping Susan Arendt would do the MK review :D

I think the last MK game I played with MK3 (or maybe it was MK3 Ultimate Edition or whatever put most of the old characters back in).

Yossarian1507:
Looking at the Wikipedia, no. The roster have most of the fighters from MK3 + Quan Chi from MK4, and Cyber Sub-Zero (WTF? I'm curious about that one) + DLC brings up Kenshi from MK: Deadly Alliance.

Cyber.... Sub-Zero? And that's a little disappointing. Armageddon may have not been the best, but it certainly got points for bringing together most if not all of the (real) characters.

Grey Carter:
It's impossible to make any comments on balance yet since the game hasn't been out long enough and and such only really become relevant at really high levels of play. From my experience though, the game is fairly balanced because most characters have the same basic tools and projectiles aren't the huge deal that they are in say SFIV. That being said, characters with a quick dependable teleport you can use to to punish from any range have a little bit of an edge.

1) Awesome.

2) Good for me with teleports. I decided to pick Sektor after looking at the roster, and he has a teleport attack, if I remember correctly the E3 gameplay.

3) I guess you're talking about Continuum Shift where apparently they nerfed her hard (looking at the online tiers, I don't have CS). In Calamity Trigger, Rachel is extremely powerful in right hands (I can't do shit with her, but online players usually don't let me even close the distance to her).

Akihiko:
Ordered a copy of this today, might not get it till next tuesday though. Thanks Royal Wedding and May Day... Looks surprisingly good though. Haven't really played a mortal kombat game since back on the playstation.

4-5 hours, I believe, depending on how good you are. With a good story too, it's not just a string of dumb excuses to keep the fights going-there are interesting plot twists and such.

Sinclose:

Akihiko:

4-5 hours, I believe, depending on how good you are. With a good story too, it's not just a string of dumb excuses to keep the fights going-there are interesting plot twists and such.

Not too bad then for a fighter. Most don't even give you a story at all.

that review needs to end with a small video of Susan doing a victory dance after performing the fatality.

I was avoiding the story mode due to past story modes in Mortal Kombat being just horrendous, but I finally dove into it(and finished it) last night, and I love it. The story was good and made enough sense, and it really helped me to get better with each character instead of keeping to the few I always used. Not to mention it gave me enough koins to knock out 2 and a half of the 4 sections of the Krypt.

And I kompletely about the test your luck. Armless+headless upside down fighting in an ice storm is great.

The challenge tower is amazingly humorous. Some of the stuff is just so ridiculous that I can't help but laugh out loud.

I haven't really enjoyed a game this much in a long time.
Use Kanos choke move on anyone(especially Sonya). His evil laugh combined with their ridiculous choke sounds crack me up every time.

Yossarian1507:

Grey Carter:
It's impossible to make any comments on balance yet since the game hasn't been out long enough and and such only really become relevant at really high levels of play. From my experience though, the game is fairly balanced because most characters have the same basic tools and projectiles aren't the huge deal that they are in say SFIV. That being said, characters with a quick dependable teleport you can use to to punish from any range have a little bit of an edge.

1) Awesome.

2) Good for me with teleports. I decided to pick Sektor after looking at the roster, and he has a teleport attack, if I remember correctly the E3 gameplay.

3) I guess you're talking about Continuum Shift where apparently they nerfed her hard (looking at the online tiers, I don't have CS). In Calamity Trigger, Rachel is extremely powerful in right hands (I can't do shit with her, but online players usually don't let me even close the distance to her).

Yeah, Sektor has that bitchy little uppercut teleport which he can combo from. Gets me every time.

Yeah. I mained Rachel in CT. In CS they gimped her hard enough that she was terrible even in casual play. None of her B+B's worked and her damage with full meter and wind was just about reaching the damage of one of Ragna's meterless combos. I wept.

Then to top it off they went and gave her frog diabetes.

Yossarian1507:

So far (could change once a few tourney results are out) the top characters arn't that op, but the runts are really bad. But the mid is really big and ambiguous right now, which is a good thing. So the tier list so far...(where they are currently and if they will stay at that position is subject to change)

Top - Shang Tsung, Ermac, Johnny Cage, and Nightwolf.
Mid - Everyone else.
Bottom - Quan Chi, Cyber Sub-Zero, Sheeva, Sektor (could be low mid) Kratos (PS3 only)

Not that I'm the go-to guy about MK, but from my experiance, almost everyone has a fighting chance against anyone, and the runts have a few gimicks that make them useful. But it is an up-hill battle for them.

Babalities, animalities, and friendships embarassing? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU??

AroLombardi:

Yossarian1507:

Cyber.... Sub-Zero? And that's a little disappointing. Armageddon may have not been the best, but it certainly got points for bringing together most if not all of the (real) characters.

Sub Zero is still there, cyber sub zero is an unlockable that you really just have to play the story to find out why hes there

I love it.
At times it can get a bit annoying in some of the handicap matches, and Shao Kahn is a bitch, but all in all it's a great fighting game.

I agree with what they said about the graphics though - even though the backgrounds are magnificent, and the amount of detail is fantastic, but some of the character models, especially the faces do seem a bit...meh.

Also, Test Your Luck on verses mode is hilarious.

Kurt Horsting:

Yossarian1507:

So far (could change once a few tourney results are out) the top characters arn't that op, but the runts are really bad. But the mid is really big and ambiguous right now, which is a good thing. So the tier list so far...(where they are currently and if they will stay at that position is subject to change)

Mid - Everyone else.
Bottom - Quan Chi, Cyber Sub-Zero, Sheeva, Sektor (could be low mid) Kratos (PS3 only)

Not that I'm the go-to guy about MK, but from my experiance, almost everyone has a fighting chance against anyone, and the runts have a few gimicks that make them useful. But it is an up-hill battle for them.

I would put Kratos at least in the mid, he can be devestating once you learn his tricks

Captcha: Furequ princplzesk

Was really hoping for a John Funk review here, to be honest.

But you'll do very nicely as a substitute, Susan. :)

I might actually have to get this...I've been laughing at MK since...well...ever. Even the olden days. It seems to have grown competent fighting mechanics, suddenly.

This is the best Mortal Kombat since ultimate (1 and 2 were great as well) that's for sure, those others ...oh god they were so bad, so bad. I'm still confused what some people saw in them.

Kurt Horsting:

Mid - Everyone else.

Yep... Ever since I watched the trailers, I totally called Ermac the top. Looks like my experience with other fighting games finally gave me some perks in terms of insight.

Also, if what you say is true (or will stay true, after the tiers will sort out), then looks like my curse will go on, because F that, I'm still going to play with Sektor.

Agreed on the God-forsaken fatalities. In training, yeah cool. In actual fights, my character just dances around a bit then throws a simple punch. Why won't you fucking work, dammit?!

Ne1butme:
that review needs to end with a small video of Susan doing a victory dance after performing the fatality.

I jumped up and down and clapped, no lie.

And thanks loads to everyone going into detail about the tiers and balancing - that's why the Escapist community is tres awesome.

i just love mortal kombat its the only fighting game i actually enjoy, hell even the story i love.

MK through UMK3 are some my favorite games of all time. I was at the arcade as much as possible when those were out. I am pretty stoked at the job they've done with the latest effort. This really is a great game. The only glaring error I found in the review is the mention of all characters being available at start. You have to unlock Cyber Sub-Zero and Quan Chi. I also believe the fatalities in this game are easier than ever to pull off.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here