Mortal Kombat Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

strangeotron:

Spot1990:

strangeotron:
snip

No it doesn't. Well except for all characters being unlocked at the start. You do have to unlock Cybe Sub-zero and Quan Chi.
I haven't noticed any instance of the AI readin my moves and using that to cheat. Do you have evidence of it?

I said some of the modes teach you. Things like unbalancing the opponent are challenges, that's why they're in the challenge tower. Complaining that the challenge tower is too challenging is silly. I find it fun. You didn't, as I said there's no point arguing over that.

Pressing a R2/Right trigger with an action button is an incredibly simple move. Your thumb is already hovering over the action buttons, you're index or middle finger is over the trigger. It's literally as simple as bringing your thumb and index finger together. It's the same action you make in many games where you lock on to an enemy and attack. The triggers are designed to be easy to use simultaneously with the action buttons. That's why they are where they are. That's why shoulder buttons have become the norm.

how can i prove something in a video game? Just play against the AI in training mode and see for yourself. Watch how it manages to expertly time the exact counter at the exact moment you act over and over, only acting when you do. You can't play like that it's ridiculous. Watch how quikcly it recovers into wakeup moves.

IO'm not complaining that the tower is challening. I'm complaining that it's needlessly frustrating. Fighting upside down is a challenge, but its a stupid challenge. It's poor game design, quick and lazy. It's not smart, it has no bearing on the storyline or anything other than what some lazy developer thought would be fun. All the cyrax challenges are beyond stupid. I am not motivated to persist in a game that isn't fun and if they can't motivate me to play a game i'm interested in through decent gameplay then they have failed. I turned the difficulty down for Shao Khan because I just couldn't be bothered banging my head against a brick wall due to his appalling design.

I have played it in training. And Story. And Arcade. It's difficult but beatable. I see no reason to believe the AI is a cheating bastard. If it was an individuals ability wouldn't vary too greatly. Seeing as I'm doing better than a lot of people and a lot of people are doing way better than me on Arcade and story I'm inclined to believe the AI is just quick and tough.

You find it frustrating. I find it fun. It's not meant to have a bearing on the story line. It's like the challenges in Portal where you have to complete the level in a certain number of steps/portals or in a certain time. It's arbitrary. It's just meant to add an extra level of challenge. They haven't failed because you don't like it. Just like Capcom hasn't failed because I don't like Street Fighter.

It's not appalling design. Shao Kahn is intentionally a broken fucker. Because that's what fans of the series wanted. Shao Kahn has always been that way. People hated MK 4 because the boss wasn't as completely unbalanced. Unbalanced characters, dick moves, frustrating challenges and just flat out unfair fights these are things long term fans of the series have always enjoyed about the games. The game isn't for you, I get that. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it means you don't like it.

One point I forgot to mention earlier was:

when you fight as Kung Lao, having to face both Quan Chi and Shang Tsung is a bit of a trial by fire

Most games are. That's the point. They all have parts where you just have to stand on your own without someone telling you exactly what to do.

I get frustrated playing most sports games. I accept it's because I'm just not that good at them. I don't try to pass it off as the game being shit.

Why did this review ignore mention of the terrible online? Don't you think that's relevant?

HK_01:
So this is the kind of video where you don't ask for my date of birth? Why, that makes perfect sense! Put an age-gate on harmless stuff but not here!

Anyway, looks like a fun game, but the gore is a little too much for my taste. It made me cringe a bit to just watch the video.

I'm guessing you saw Noob Saibot's fatality and Kung Lao's impression of Gold finger from James Bond huh? Hehehe this game made me orgasm with excitement the moment I saw gore!

strangeotron:
Why did this review ignore mention of the terrible online? Don't you think that's relevant?

If the game can stand on single player and does well with local multiplayer then I agree the online needs to be addressed. However I take Yahtzee's side when it comes to the online segment. Don't bother with it if the person you're playing against isn't within slapping range.

LOL I've yet to see a game where the online segment doesn't have a crappy and cheap feel to it.

Madara XIII:

strangeotron:

If the game can stand on single player and does well with local multiplayer then I agree the online needs to be addressed. However I take Yahtzee's side when it comes to the online segment. Don't bother with it if the person you're playing against isn't within slapping range.

LOL I've yet to see a game where the online segment doesn't have a crappy and cheap feel to it.

This is ridiculous. The game has an online component: a significant part of the onverall game experience, regardless of how you yourself might choose to play the game. And one that was highly anticipated by a lot of people. I don't care what Yahtzee says, too many peopel on these boards blow smoke up his ass far too often; he knows nothing about MK or fighting games as is self evident.

It's part of the game, it should work properly like every other component. That it doesn't is a considerable factor and one many people thinking about playing would be wise to discover beforehand. That this silly woman who knows fuck all about these games reviewing chose to ignore the state of the online is a considerable oversight.

Next time, do your job better please.

Right up front: I'm not the biggest MK fan.

But I think this game is at very least good. It has lots of value for money too - as fighting games go. You can tell a lot of effort has gone in to this title and it shows.

I don't agree on the models being ugly though... I thought that they are pretty good (and intricate! All the innards for each character!) and the backgrounds deserve a mention too, whilst talking about the visuals.

You could get much worse and if you're only a casual fighting game player, I would actually say this is the best choice of a fighting game compared to the current selection of fighting game titles.

strangeotron:

Madara XIII:

strangeotron:

This is ridiculous. The game has an online component: a significant part of the onverall game experience, regardless of how you yourself might choose to play the game. And one that was highly anticipated by a lot of people. I don't care what Yahtzee says, too many peopel on these boards blow smoke up his ass far too often; he knows nothing about MK or fighting games as is self evident.

It's part of the game, it should work properly like every other component. That it doesn't is a considerable factor and one many people thinking about playing would be wise to discover beforehand. That this silly woman who knows fuck all about these games reviewing chose to ignore the state of the online is a considerable oversight.

Next time, do your job better please.

Well I can see where you're coming from, but the reason why I say what I say about online segments is that I've had my fair share of bad experiences (bout 70% of the time), but one fighting game that proved online could be fun and actually worthy of my time was Marvel Vs Capcom 3....yet that still had it's flaws. Secondly I hope you don't get a ban for talking smack about an Escapist staff. Lord knows their double standards when it comes to bad mouthing someone.

Madara XIII:

Well I can see where you're coming from, but the reason why I say what I say about online segments is that I've had my fair share of bad experiences (bout 70% of the time), but one fighting game that proved online could be fun and actually worthy of my time was Marvel Vs Capcom 3....yet that still had it's flaws. Secondly I hope you don't get a ban for talking smack about an Escapist staff. Lord knows their double standards when it comes to bad mouthing someone.

The quality of that review speaks volumes about the review and the ability of the reviewer.

In much the same way MK's lack of effort speaks volumes about NRS.

That they haven't even bothered to sort out their appalling choice for gamespy as server for the online says it all. Anyone looking to believe this game will be fixed is, I think, in for disappointment.

Oh my god! I diiiiiid a fatality, I diiiiiid a fatality :DDDD

I love MK. I would say the fighting is hte best it's ever been but Midway still haven't topped Konquest from MK:Deception

strangeotron:
snip

This was not a bad review. This is not a bad game. You didn't like it. Get over yourself. Your opinion is not gospel and all the people who liked this game are not wrong for liking it. You're allowed not like it, I'm sure lots of people agree with you. But could you for just ten seconds stop acting like your opinion is somehow right when everyone else's is wrong.

Spot1990:
Your opinion is not gospel and all the people who liked this game are not wrong for liking it.

Neither's your's sunshine, remember that and wind your neck in.

strangeotron:

Spot1990:
Your opinion is not gospel and all the people who liked this game are not wrong for liking it.

I'm not saying mine is. I'm saying I like it. Lots of people do and they're not wrong for liking it. Just like you're not wrong for disliking it. You're the one acting like if anyone disagrees with you they're wrong.

MonkeyPunch:
Right up front: I'm not the biggest MK fan.

But I think this game is at very least good. It has lots of value for money too - as fighting games go. You can tell a lot of effort has gone in to this title and it shows.

I don't agree on the models being ugly though... I thought that they are pretty good (and intricate! All the innards for each character!) and the backgrounds deserve a mention too, whilst talking about the visuals.

You could get much worse and if you're only a casual fighting game player, I would actually say this is the best choice of a fighting game compared to the current selection of fighting game titles.

Oh, the locations are fantastic and yes, the X-ray moves are also all really great. But anything in a cut scene? Yeeeesh....really pretty damn awful. Certainly not enough to make you not want to go through the story mode, but definitely noticeable.

Don't take it seriously?

I guess I can't when Johnny Cage can get a blade in his eye and out the back of his skull and he still keeps going.

Jeez, and I thought people standing after Kano breaking both their femurs was crazy.

Haven't been following this that closely but maybe I'll get it later.

Just for the end, I love you Susan! I want your children :P

Grwat review, I really want to play this now (and I don't even like most fighting games)

Spot1990:

strangeotron:

Spot1990:

I'm not saying mine is. I'm saying I like it. Lots of people do and they're not wrong for liking it. Just like you're not wrong for disliking it. You're the one acting like if anyone disagrees with you they're wrong.

Infinite parry loops resulting in death is a pretty big drawback though. I mean, I don't know how true it is but isn't that just broken?

Its not wrong to enjoy the game sure, everyone has an opinion on what is fun. I would think though, that from a non biased objective standpoint something like an infinite parry combo ending the match makes this game broken and unplayable in a competitive environment.

How bad is that problem? Can every character do it? Or will the ones that can inevitably end up making the others irrelevant? Even if they all can perform it, isn't it just stupid and lame that its there in the first place? Just trying to understand how big an issue this is, I like to get really into the character I play, if there is one sure fire way to win every time the character may as well only have one combo. I can assume this will get patched out eventually though, but till it does.

Is it like Carl Clover's clap combo where once you learn it its simple enough to do or like Hakumen's one-hit-kill combo in that it only works under very hard to pull off conditions and only in his super mode?

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL kombat by far has the most fun theme of any game i mean who wouldnt yell that

Susan Arendt:
Oh, the locations are fantastic and yes, the X-ray moves are also all really great. But anything in a cut scene? Yeeeesh....really pretty damn awful. Certainly not enough to make you not want to go through the story mode, but definitely noticeable.

To be fair; you can't say the models look terrible when you can't properly identify the human liver (in Sub-Zero X-ray). ;P

Susan, I normally enjoy your reviews, but I felt that you covered vary little of the Mortal Kombat shine and more of the little goodies included. At no point did you mention that juggling was back to being important, that X-Rays were a great equalizer and that Tag-team comps actually have a layer of strategy involved.
But really; you kinda poked fun at animalities, frienships and babalities. The latter of which returns, and the former weren't done by the original mortal kombat team or even done recently. It was the 90's, give'em a great. But at the same time; it's that kinda crazy stuff that spawned into the Test Your Luck roulette we have now.

Mortal Kombat lost it's touch with Deadly Alliance (to a lesser degree; 4/Gold) and that era of Mortal Kombat games.

You showed a lot of Trilogy, which while completely unbalanced and awkward in some areas; was a lot of fun and certainly not where MK ketered off.

My only complaint with the game is the incredibly unfair and cheap fights. 1v2 fights, Shao Kahn, Goro and Kintaro all spam like noobs and the only way to beat them is if you do the same thing.

I wasn't sure what to think of this game because of the pretty nasty gore and ripping off limbs etc. But this move is what pushed me from "unnecessarily gross" to "unnecessarily gross but HAHAHA HOLYFUCK DID THAT JUST HAPPEN!!?".

I don't know if anybody else has shed some light in this but the whole tenth Mortal Kombat thing goes like this: it was the tournament that was targeted against Earthrealm. The other nine were against other dimensions.

Then again, every tournament since the very 1st MK targeted Earth so you could say that all MK are 'try again's.

Also, Susan, about the fatalities, the tiers and balancing are a first for the series. In MK 4, there were fatalities in the moves list but there were some ridiculous stuff to pull off, like hold a button for 5 seconds.

I found the game to be nothing more than a button masher... oh well i'l continue to play once the infinate sonya kick combo or noob tele grab gets fixed.

Also, I forgot to mention a thing I may like. It looks like MK doesn't have you waiting up until the next entry to the franchise to see who won the last time, like SF, Tekken and basically every other fighter out there. Is this true?

HK_01:
So this is the kind of video where you don't ask for my date of birth? Why, that makes perfect sense! Put an age-gate on harmless stuff but not here!

Anyway, looks like a fun game, but the gore is a little too much for my taste. It made me cringe a bit to just watch the video.

The X-ray moves... sweet jesus, i wretched at one or two of them.

Theres just something worse about the X-ray moves to the actual fatalities to me.

Not a damn mention to the archaic A.I. and the cheap-ass gold invulnerability armor of bosses, but that's okay... It only would another star.
Seriously, developers shouldn't be doing crap like that anymore.

I like how I can breeze through the arcade ladder on expert but get stopped cold at Shao Kahn. Anyway, nice review. And to whoever posted tiers of characters: Kung Lao is definitely top tier.

Completely disagree about it being open to newcomers, it's the exact opposite. If you want to learn how to play the game beyond button mashing (which is pretty much useless, though that's a good thing) you pretty much have to set in Practice Mode for several hours staring at the command list. The tutorial dumped way more stuff on my head than I'll remember.

It's still a great game but the first few hours playing are painful if you've never touched Mortal Kombat before.

katsabas:
Also, I forgot to mention a thing I may like. It looks like MK doesn't have you waiting up until the next entry to the franchise to see who won the last time, like SF, Tekken and basically every other fighter out there. Is this true?

Story mode takes you through the revised cannon of the first 3 mk games, so you do get to see who wins each indeed ;)
Mk9 story itself ends on a bittersweet note, with most of the mk characters dead (yeah they will be back next game, but still, there's only 3 survivors on the earthrealm side) and though victorious, the events of mk4 are soon to follow so the peace is only temporary.

The game begins with Raiden suffering a vision of the grim future that will result should Earth Realm lose this tenth and most important Mortal Kombat tournament.

Ever since the first game the rule has been that Outworld has to win ten straight tournaments in order to enter through the portals to Earthrealm so that only doesn't make sense if you don't know the cannon.

Considering that Susan usually reviews the "cute" games it was a surprise to see that she got to review Mortal Kombat (not a complaint).

One thing I really want from this game's story is to let me know who won the pyramid challenge from Armageddon in the original storyline. Does anyone here know?

MK passes the Susan scale. nOw I'm definately going to give this a look.

katsabas:

Up until MK: Deadly Alliance I think (the one where Shang Tsung & Quan Chi kill him in the intro), it's assumed Lui Kang wins everytime.

Awesome game...shame we in Australia won't be able to play it because our government is full of old farts who don't know the meaning of fun.

Sinclose:
Good review, but I thought the reason why the 10th tournament is very important is because it requires ten consecutive wins to invade another realm, and their main enemy has already won 9 successive times? Also, babalities are still in the game. Dunno about the others though.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I gotta say, all the info I saw about the game caught my interest.

Borrow it if you must.

This is probably the best fighting game I've played in quite possibly the last 10 years.

It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination...but there is so much damn content and it holds everything together so well.

Frankster:

katsabas:

Story mode takes you through the revised cannon of the first 3 mk games, so you do get to see who wins each indeed ;)
Mk9 story itself ends on a bittersweet note, with most of the mk characters dead (yeah they will be back next game, but still, there's only 3 survivors on the earthrealm side) and though victorious, the events of mk4 are soon to follow so the peace is only temporary.

Glad I finished it already or you not using spoiler tags would have caused me to choke you to death through the monitor.

Susan Arendt:

Sinclose:
Good review, but I thought the reason why the 10th tournament is very important is because it requires ten consecutive wins to invade another realm, and their main enemy has already won 9 successive times? Also, babalities are still in the game. Dunno about the others though.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I gotta say, all the info I saw about the game caught my interest.

Ah, perhaps you're right about why the 10th is so fired-up important. The thing about the babalities is now MK has a very wink-and-a-nod feel to it. It knows it's being silly and is just fine with that - exactly the right attitude for this series.

The babalities are painfully cute. If you haven't done one you should probably go grab a drink and do it now.

You will thank me :P.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or