5 Tiny Things I Hope Get Changed in Skyrim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

ZombieGenesis:
My ONE thing.

More cities. Morrowind had more than Oblivion, Oblivion has more than Skyrim.
We're going backwards, and the maps are getting smaller. Part of what I loved about the first games was how vast they felt, Oblivion sadly less so but still amazing... it's a sad truth that graphics mean smaller areas, but there isn't even much variety location from what we've seen so far.

Skyrim is confirmed to have the same-size world of Oblivion. Also, the cities are wide open and much larger, which is a plus in my books.

OT: I agree with all these points and will add one of my own. Better animations!

Fast travel did actually impact the players who didn't use it, believe it or not. Bethesda felt no real need to add other, more immersive ways of travelling quickly, because they already had the fast travel system in place. This time around, I'm hoping for things like ships between the coastal cities, or domesticated mammoths as a means of travel between landlocked ones.

On that note, what I'm really hoping for is more liveliness in the world. If you could have ships docking and departing from coastal cities, crews climbing the rigging, shipments of food being delivered from farms, people actually hawking their wares on the streets, and so on. Oblivion felt very static to me; people were ambling around aimlessly, not really doing much. So essentially I'd like to see something resembling an actual, living, breathing world, and that would probably be helped by better animations.

That Bethesda mentioned lumberers, and that we actually saw blacksmiths at work, is what I consider to be a good sign.

Bring back the Morag Tong vs Dark Brotherhood rivalry! Bring back aristocratic houses! (naturally they can't be Telvanni, etc, but maybe they can be something nordic and longhouse-bound) And, please, Necromancy as an optional tangential quest for Mages!

If there was anything I couldn't stand about Oblivion it was the fact that, while it seemed there were endless quest chains and characters they were, painfully obviously, all too finite. After completing the Dark Brotherhood, Mages Guild, Fighters Guild (every guild easier than the last) and main quest of the game (minus expansions), along with exploring most every ruin, collecting all the Nirnroot etc, I felt basically that all was finished.

Here are some simply-worded suggestions of what they can put in:

- Morag Tong (or equivalent). Create quest chain for a lighter (or, at least, less evil and more coldly honour-bound) side to the assassination business. Import all the Morag Tong vs. Dark Brotherhood story from Morrowind (if applicable). Expand the underworld gameplay by a good fifty hours.

- Aristocratic houses. Bring back a nordic incarnation of the major houses of Morrowind: Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni. Be they butler, be their assassin, be their mercenary be their spy. Introduce three twenty hour quest chains which each lead to being named a leader in the family or having the chance to build a house! (muahaha ambitious quest chain length)

- Necromancy Optional. Sometimes one gets the inspiration to be a bad mage infiltrating the corridors of power, visiting a cover hidden in the middle of the Arcane University or something. Make it happen! 20+ hours!

- Bring occupational variation to the gameplay! TES is a fantasy combat oriented series, but what's to stop players who want something more economic, or more simply social than that from enjoying some side mechanics? I play EvE a bit and the sheer open nature of career options is something that tends to make other games look boring. Allow players to set up a merchant empire, run a brothel/hotel/deal with shady organized crime types. Recruit gang members for an organized crime syndicate... These kinds of things were done in GTA San Andreas surely they cna be implemented here.

- Finally, Keep the world huge! Morrowind had a titanic playing area, and let's not mention the less-pretty prequels to Morrowind/Oblivion either, with their hilariously large game worlds. Skyrim seems in danger to me of becoming a series of wooded, rocky canyons with some snow and too many dragons. There isn't much room for variation in terrain or anything but I beg morrowind to do it, maybe include High Rock, though it's too late now...

I am prepared to bend my post to make it seem on topic: More quest chains might be a drastic upgrade in game size and length but it would not necessarily be a drastic upgrade on the surface. People will just happily realize that they are picking up fresh quests every corner they turn!

All good points, great article!

What I really want, though, is unique-looking spells. Having the level 1 Flare look the same as my 100 damage, 50-foot wide fireball of doom when I cast it is lame.

I have one small thing, that I would like to see fixed. It is definitely an immersion thing. I want to kill people with a SPOON!!!

There are hundreds of small immersion items in each game that have a physical presence I want to kill people with them, I want to chuck a plate at someones head and make them duck. I want to be standing around the water cooler after Skyrim come out and be able to say "last night I threw a plate so hard at a skeleton that it took its head off an stuck in the wall".

I agree with 1, 3, 4 and 5.

3, for me, is anything but minor. Those conversations were the biggest immersion killer in the game!

2... er, yeah, this one would be VERY minor in my book, but each to their own.

Proverbial Jon:
I'd quite like to see horses again. It sounds pointless but I get attached to any form of animal transport that I'm given in a game. Read Dead Redemption had me so attached to my horse that I'd reload an entire mission just to get my horse back which had accidentally died. I want that connection with my faithfull steed in Skyrim. Somehow the horses in Oblivion just felt like some sort of strange animal-like machine and I never really cared all that much.

On my first play through I did use the horses, but after I lost my save file (returned UK version to cousin then purchased NA GOTY edition), I didn't use the horses at all. They don't make you go that much faster, don't allow you to be stealthy and not being able to attack from horseback was a major annoyance to me.

I agree about the persuasion wheel.
The voice stuff though, well the game before had text instead of talk. (I personally liked the text better since there was alot of interesting info you get, even if it is not important to anything. Just having tedious rumors, local info, and anything quest related is lame.

I would love more interactive housing, also more precise moving of items with the move button.
Silt Striders are a Morrowind region thing. (Though I would like the removal of fast travel, or atleast old methods of travel for those who dont want to use it)

ZombieGenesis:
My ONE thing.

More cities. Morrowind had more than Oblivion, Oblivion has more than Skyrim.
We're going backwards, and the maps are getting smaller. Part of what I loved about the first games was how vast they felt, Oblivion sadly less so but still amazing... it's a sad truth that graphics mean smaller areas, but there isn't even much variety location from what we've seen so far.

Technically, Morrowind had only 4 or 5 cities. Balmora, Ald Ruhn, Vivec, Sodrith Mora, and maybe Caldera. The difference is the villages and towns were substantial locations. In Oblivion the towns were just one quest detours.

Persuasion mini game was already confirmed as axed. How about different character models for aged peoples. Or fat people? Why does every woman have the exact same breasts and every guy the exact same muscles?

BRING BACK LEVITATION

More voice actors

THIS NEXT ONE WOULD TERRIFIC:
Make level scaling optional! I loved in morrowind that sometimes I walked in the wrong room and got my ass kicked. Later in the game I loved that I could swat down high level enemies with a backhanded slap. If every fight feels the same, it's just boring.

TREASURE! I don't want to find something from one of the three available armor sets that pertains to my level every time I kill a mob or open a treasure chest.

Which reminds me of something that actually is just a minor issue: Give me more options for opening locked chests than just relying on my security skill. Maybe I don't want my character to be good at picking locks.

DustyDrB:
Doesn't everyone put "Mother's Head" in a special place?

I kept it in the Thieves Guild hall after I became guildmaster. To let them know where their leader's loyalties really lie.

Worr Monger:
Why have a massive land to explore if you just fast travel everywhere at the click of a button?

Probably because it's optional? I ran everywhere my first time through. However, after that it gets tedious and fast travel is an absolute must.

And yes, the conversations were hilariously bad:

"Heard any news from the other provinces?"
"Nothing I'd like to talk to you about."
*COUGH*
"Good-bye"
*Both NPCs notice you and say hello at the same time*

Brick back the Morrowind fast travel? Hell yes.

For me, not only does it make the world feel more engaging, but also it gives me a way to spend all of my money. I, like Yahtzee and presumably some other people, hate having piles of useless money. The whole reason that I like money is so I can spend it. I don't get enjoyment from swimming in a pool of money. I like my money to go somewhere else for a while, so that I can do other things or get a service.

Here's a compromise:

-Keep the instant travel from Oblivion, but add in the probability of random encounters with monsters, bandits, and the like. Makes sense, right? Why wouldn't there be monsters and bandits hanging out along your path at any given time? If you walk real-time to your destination, you will probably come across a monster at some point. Why not add in the random encounters?
-Add the stilt striders and boats and stuff back in, but make it so that utilizing those paid services means that you would have a 0% chance of random encounter along the way.

Everybody wins. I get to spend my money, and each mode of travel (foot, instant, and paid) is balanced to be equally useful.

Oh yeah, and the rest of that stuff was nice too.

I didn't play Morrowind, but if silt striders will only lead you to a few corners and centers of the map, I'd say good for it. Fast travelling to every location you have found did make the missions less epic. It's like skipping straight to the climax of a story and skipping all the middle bits.
Far Cry 2 taught me, the mission isn't just about finishing the objective, it's about getting there too. Once I realized that all the random encounters with hostile nobodies became less irritating, and I actually came to enjoy planning my route ahead to avoid the checkpoints, or sneak by them.

There needs to be a new way of moving objects.Moving objects around the house was a pain in the ass.

I would add reward exploration and remove the copy and paste of the dungeons. In Oblivion your reward for exploration was terrible loot and a headache trying to remember which identical looking cave you were in. I can understand that not every cave/mine/hole can be unique, but make it possible for a normal human to remember where they have been. If they had multiple entrances to the same place, like a set of mine tunnels connected to each other, or a underground river with springs spread out across the countryside that would be fine.

Fallout 3 seemed to nail the large landscape with recognizable features, and it had less variation in enemy types and had the uniformly-looking metro system. It was saved by the little touches like signs and interesting scenery, plus many of the best weapons were in the unexplored corners, so hopefully they have learned their lesson.

Susan Arendt:

Five unimportant things that will hopefully change for Skyrim.

Read Full Article

seriously ive never played morrowwind but fast travel they way they did it in that game is an abomination. What they needed to do and need to do is have a fast travel method like those striders but on top of that a few spells such as a mid lvl wizard should be able to port themselves to another city or fling themselves into the air and land in a city after they have learned the spell. a high lvl mage should be able to do the same thing but be able to do it to any place they have been before including non city areas.

->1. The Persuasion Wheel

-Kill it with fire.

->2. Let Me Rearrange My House

They had this in EQ2 at launch. Didn't work out as well as you might think. I doubt it'll make it.

->3. Better Banter

Please.

->4. More Voices

Confirmed.

->5. Bring Back Silt Striders

Doesn't fit the setting, but I agree with your logic.

I couldn't put my trinkets in the display case

Technically, Ms. Arendt you are completely wrong about this one. You could put things in your display cases.

Assuming you were talking about that one really nice house.

Rosewood Hall or such? You COULD open up the cases and put items in them.

However it was largely a pain in the ass to do so. They lacked any real system to do it well and that's probably what you meant which is completely correct. You have to do it in a crappy annoying jury rigged sort of way, with dropping shifting around the item by picking it up and holding it about, and if you want it even remotely how you want it, messing with some telekinesis spells to be able to control how the items moved better.

So you were right that they need a simple dedicated system for these things, but you are wrong if you were saying you couldn't do it at all because you can. It's just tedious, difficult and a royal pain in the ass.

Zom-B:

Proverbial Jon:
I'd quite like to see horses again. It sounds pointless but I get attached to any form of animal transport that I'm given in a game. Read Dead Redemption had me so attached to my horse that I'd reload an entire mission just to get my horse back which had accidentally died. I want that connection with my faithfull steed in Skyrim. Somehow the horses in Oblivion just felt like some sort of strange animal-like machine and I never really cared all that much.

On my first play through I did use the horses, but after I lost my save file (returned UK version to cousin then purchased NA GOTY edition), I didn't use the horses at all. They don't make you go that much faster, don't allow you to be stealthy and not being able to attack from horseback was a major annoyance to me.

Obviously you have never used the dark brotherhood horse. That thing runs faster than.... everything!

Susan Arendt:

Five unimportant things that will hopefully change for Skyrim.

Read Full Article

In the same vein as 1, I feel the Lockpicking system needs an overhaul. In Oblivion, it always struck me as horribly luck based, I could never get the timing right (and then I got the Skeleton Key and made it a non-issue, but overpowered daedric artifacts are another issue entirely). something like Fallout 3 might be nice.

Agayek:

Susan Arendt:
Oooo, that's a good one. Just the kind of tiny, immersion-breaking thing I'm talking about. Perfect!

And, well, no, we can't have actual Silt Striders as some folks have pointed out, but something along those lines. What would be appropriate for Skyrim?

Or maybe one of those tentacle-bears from that screenshot/concept art thing.

Ninja'ed...

But it would be pretty incredible to ride a tentacle bear into battle with a dragon.

Someone needs to draw this...

I would love to rearrange my house. I went through great lengths to pimp my house out in Oblivion. On the transportation side I would like to see stilt striders or some variation make a come back. And I hope their not getting rid of horses like they keeping hinting at. I was quite attached to my horses in Red Dead Redemption and would like to have that same feeling in Skyrim. Also if they do bring back horses back I would love to see some sort of combat from horse back. Bring back the spears from morrowind so I can skewer my enemies while riding my trusty steed... I might be asking for a little too much at this point.

henritje:
you forgot BUG REMOVAL! 5+ years after release and it,s still buggy! (yeah I know that some modder released a patch but it,s a 60$ AAA game not a Ikea product that you gotta fix yourself!)
Also I would like the audibility to dual wield dagger,s (maybe include it as a separate skill buffed by rogues/assassin,s?)

I'm guessing you mean "ability," not "audibility." But Skyrim lets you wield whatever you want in each hand. Dual daggers? Yep. Lightning in one hand, axe in other? Yep. Dual shields? Yep.

I want archery to deal more damage. Seriously. Bows are not peashooters, they are lethal weapons.

I would love for one or two quests, just to have directions morrowind style.
"Turn left at the big white rock in the valley of rocks."

It's minor, and wouldn't make much difference but I'd love it.

SirBryghtside:

Dunmer: Hello.
Orc: Go away!
Dunmer: Goodbye.
Orc: Stop talking!

BEST. CONVERSATION. EVER. XD

Good news - for horses, they're taking RDR as their inspiration. Other inspirations include BioShock (combat system and dragons), Half-Life 2 (dragons), and Apple (the menu system).

Wow. Just wow, I can't top that example! Although there are a lot of coversations that happen along these lines, someone says hello and the other person just says goodbye and walks off!

There were dragons in Bioshock and Half Life 2? :P

I want to see more depth in factions again, Morrowind was amazing in how for example, you could become head of the Mages Guild, House Telvanni, the Imperial Temple and the Tribunal Temple all at once, it gave you much more to see and enjoy.

My main wish is just that they actually make it immersive. I haven't seen a single Bethesda game that did that. Mind you I did like Oblivion, Morrowind and FO3, I just really really really didn't like the absolute clunkiness of those games.

That said, I do agree with all of your points. Especially the voice acting one. I think it was quite hilarious see an old beggar suddenly to speak in a absolutely civilized voice and then switch back to his normal voice.

Susan Arendt:

Tharwen:
Another minor suggestion: Let NPCs rearrange their items if you knock them over. In Oblivion, you could run into someone's house, kick their dinner over, pull all their books onto the floor and leave without them doing anything about it. At least reset items to their default locations every few days, pl0x?

Oooo, that's a good one. Just the kind of tiny, immersion-breaking thing I'm talking about. Perfect!

And, well, no, we can't have actual Silt Striders as some folks have pointed out, but something along those lines. What would be appropriate for Skyrim?

This.

gewata:
One of the things I REALLY want them to do in Skyrim, and will probably not happen, is to remove the quest markers. I much prefered Morrowind's "This is the guy we want you to kill. We are going to tell you how to get to his cave, and then you're going to have to f*cking work to find him" to Oblivion's "The guy is here. Go get him, champ!". Morrowind's system actually made you think and encouraged exploring (I found the Vassir-Didanat mine while looking for a completely different cave, for example), while in Oblivion it feels like you have to go out of your way to actually find new places because you are always told where to go.

Its never going to happen though :(

I'm fairly sure there is a cream/mod for that already.

In the same vein as 1, I feel the Lockpicking system needs an overhaul. In Oblivion, it always struck me as horribly luck based, I could never get the timing right (and then I got the Skeleton Key and made it a non-issue, but overpowered daedric artifacts are another issue entirely). something like Fallout 3 might be nice.

Well with the Oblivion lock picking once you get the idea right once you will always get it right. You have to wait for the pin to stay up for a split second. Awkward way to describe it but I can get lock piking done with a 95% accuracy. Even very hard ones. Really does make the skill redundant and it was always a pain to level.

iblis666:

seriously ive never played morrowwind but fast travel they way they did it in that game is an abomination. What they needed to do and need to do is have a fast travel method like those striders but on top of that a few spells such as a mid lvl wizard should be able to port themselves to another city or fling themselves into the air and land in a city after they have learned the spell. a high lvl mage should be able to do the same thing but be able to do it to any place they have been before including non city areas.

They already have a mod like that. It is Midas magic and gives you a super fast magic carpet.

more blood and the ability to duel and fire bows while riding horses.

Citizen Snips:
There is an option to turn it off. If you don't click on the place... you don't fast travel. Do you demand an iphone without apps because you don't like them? No. Because that would be silly.

No, but if Apple said "you can use an iPhone without apps perfectly fine for all basic functions" I would expect them to actually provide one otherwise it's just a load of stuff they said that doesn't mean anything.

It's like you go to a buffet and see mushrooms and say "Oh I don't like mushrooms". And the staff member attending says "That's cool, you don't have to eat them. Although any other meal you can concieve of here will contain foodstuffs intended to be eaten with mushrooms, everything will taste faintly of mushrooms and you will be given special weird-looking cutlery designed for the express purpose of assisting you in eating mushrooms. But, you don't actually have to eat the actual mushrooms if you don't want to." You'd probably say "Fuck off" because whatever you choose, you're still not going to have a nice time.

Mantonio:
Take out the god awful level scaling, and bring back spears and crossbows.

Also, get rid of the uncanny valley-esque models. Give them some animation and don't make them stare straight ahead at me the whole damn time.

Finally... would it kill you to make the levels bigger? I mean: Back when I was only just getting into modern gaming, and was rather naive, I was fascinated by Fallout 3. I imagined it would be to scale. Rivet City would have been the size of an aircraft carrier. Imagine my disappointment when it's barely the size of a village hall.

That may have just been me being too unrealistic, but the point does kind of stand. Don't have huge cities that are actually just one street with three houses in them.

This, I never understood how spears and crossbows where deinvented in oblivion. And why levitate had to be removed, and the mark/recal and intervention spells. Also the beast races legs need to be like in morrowind, that was cool. Also, the voice of the dunmer (especially male) in morrowind was so cool, very gritty. In oblivion, I feel all the elves sounded the same, kinda irritating voices.
I would also like items to be of more varied materials, always wondered why there wasn't a bow made of wood in oblivion, and bring back medium armor too. And more seperate parts for armor, like left and rigth gloves should be different items altogether, and I'd like pauldrons to be put back in too.

The silt striders were, to me, an essential part of the Elder Scrolls experience. Being able to just instant-travel takes away incentive to explore and ultimately makes the world feel less lived in and interactive. I loved the way you could hear them trumpeting from time to time in the major cities, and that if you killed a silt strider pilot, you would have no access to the silt strider network from that location anymore. It was great.

Sure, people would bitch about taking away fast travel, but when it comes down to it, exploration and travel limitations are an integral part of the RPG experience. It's like having to wait a while for a well-cooked steak; People think it would be great to get it right away, but if you actually give people that option, I think they would realize they miss the hour or so of conversation and anticipation that comes before it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here