Escapist Podcast: Escapist Podcast 001

Escapist Podcast 001

This week, for our inaugural Escapist Podcast (Beta), Russ Pitts, Susan Arendt, Steve Butts and Justin Clouse discuss the PSN outage controversy, the games we're all playing this week and those to which we are looking forward. Plus, an exclusive preview of the next song by Miracle of Sound: "Wheatley's Song," from Portal 2.

Watch Video

Jeopardy? Yay! A nod to a fellow random general knowledge storehouse! (I've never gone in for the test, though. Camera-shyness.)

A fun listen overall, and I'm usually not much for podcasts.

Oh, and guys: I know you love this image and it has served you well, but it doesn't work well when you don't have a video stream in the file.:)

EDIT: Oh, something that's more relevant in the light of the PSN fiasco:
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/05/securitymatters_0515

Bruce Schneier's written a lot of interesting stuff on security and privacy, both digital and real-world. Worth looking over his stuff. http://www.schneier.com/ http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram.html

i like this. more please.

Excellent work, although you may want to do something about the volume in the future as it was a little on the quiet side.

Otherwise, I have no other criticisms I can currently think of!

Very interesting.

Ref: Sony, I'm with Russ, but would add that none of this is happening in a vacuum. The global economy is still pretty shaky and the average consumer's disposable income has dropped. They're going to be more cautious about their spending, and when something like this happens - which is almost more of a PR disaster than a technical problem - it's going to make them think twice about where they put their money. Particularly those who don't buy into a console for the games, necessarily, but to have a home entertainment centre.

Ref: LA Noire, God yes! You don't often see anyone tackle the detective genre full stop, and when they do, it often ends up being a puzzle game rather than a detective narrative. The only puzzle in a whodunnit ought to be whodunnit; anything else is irrelevant.

Ref: playing the bad guy and Susan's qualms, this is the difference between a Raft and a Bogart.

Raft was in the original Scarface, way back in 1932. He was a New Yorker born and bred and had a pretty dodgy sheet; the LA police nearly turned him back at the train station because they figured he was a scout for New York mobsters and not a dancer-turned-actor. But he knew gangster movies were popular and he wasn't going to be able to get away from playing that kind of tough guy, so he set up a few rules that he always demanded were followed in his screen roles. That way he figured he'd still be a kind of white knight on screen even when he was playing the bad guy. One of his rules was he'd never hurt women, either physically or any other way, so he lost out on some pretty major roles - Casablanca, Maltese Falcon - to Bogart, who didn't have Raft's hangups.

I think Susan would enjoy playing a Raft-type: someone ambiguous, possibly a crook, but with a genuine moral code. Problem being, as has been discussed to death, gaming doesn't do morality well. Still, if Noire is a genuine hit, maybe we'll see characters like that in similar games.

Formica Archonis:
Oh, and guys: I know you love this image and it has served you well, but it doesn't work well when you don't have a video stream

Yeah, this is the first time we ever uploaded just an audio track. I'm going to play with the player over the weekend to see if I can get it to behave better. We'll also have audio-only podcasts available (for everything) next week :)

this is the first one I've listened to a very interesting concept and it was a interesting listen but the audio quality really needs improving

Virgil:
I'm going to play with the player over the weekend to see if I can get it to behave better. We'll also have audio-only podcasts available (for everything) next week :)

Everything? So people on the go will be able to hear Yahtzee without having to see penis doodles?:) Is it still going to be MP4 (I think these are MP4s, anyway) or will it be MP3?

Formica Archonis:

Virgil:
I'm going to play with the player over the weekend to see if I can get it to behave better. We'll also have audio-only podcasts available (for everything) next week :)

Everything? So people on the go will be able to hear Yahtzee without having to see penis doodles?:) Is it still going to be MP4 (I think these are MP4s, anyway) or will it be MP3?

Yep, everything. They'll be MP3s. It doesn't make sense for some of the shows, but if you want them, they'll be there.

I like it. It's so much better with more people, so I like it more than the other podcast with Yahtzee and Mikey, which is hard for me to say. I did get that reference and I'm young. I like the idea of just sitting around talking and you have some nice conversation going there, but for next time, how about some community interaction? I've always thought of this site as really community focused, and you're usually great at getting us involved, so why not here? You could include user questions, discuss current community events, maybe have a user as a guest or something.

Great podcast, however, tech issues: it doesn't seem to load on Opera. It works fine on Firefox though, and other Escapist videos work fine on Opera.

GeorgW:
I like it. It's so much better with more people, so I like it more than the other podcast with Yahtzee and Mikey, which is hard for me to say. I did get that reference and I'm young. I like the idea of just sitting around talking and you have some nice conversation going there, but for next time, how about some community interaction? I've always thought of this site as really community focused, and you're usually great at getting us involved, so why not here? You could include user questions, discuss current community events, maybe have a user as a guest or something.

Well, it was our first one, so we didn't have any questions to answer. But you undoubtedly caught the email address to submit questions, so get submittin'!

Virgil:

Formica Archonis:

Virgil:

Yep, everything. They'll be MP3s. It doesn't make sense for some of the shows, but if you want them, they'll be there.

Great. Now I'll be able to listen to LRR's "Ways to..." videos. Nothing but piano music.

Will these audio podcasts be for everyone, or just Publisher's Club members?

Susan Arendt:

GeorgW:

Well, it was our first one, so we didn't have any questions to answer. But you undoubtedly caught the email address to submit questions, so get submittin'!

I didn't catch it actually, mind telling me again? Or maybe we could just post our questions here?

Virgil:

Formica Archonis:

Virgil:

Will the audio tracks be available as a separate RSS feed for iTunes like the videos are already for PubClub members?

I did get that last reference. Jesus fuck, I'm old for my years.

Yup, that was excellent. Reminds me of sitting around with my housemates at uni and bantering about video games, except you guys actually know your stuff and don't go off on South Park-quoting tangents every five bloody minutes. Definitely looking forward to more o'this.

GeorgW:

Susan Arendt:

I didn't catch it actually, mind telling me again? Or maybe we could just post our questions here?

T'was podcast at escapistmagazine dot com. I have no idea why I write email addresseseses like that.

GeorgW:

Susan Arendt:

GeorgW:

No, please, send them to podcast@escapistmag.com.

blurredplacebo:
the audio quality really needs improving

Agreed. We haven't done a lot of audio-only recording in the office until now, so I had to cut some corners in order to get four mics live. The good news is I know exactly where the suck is coming from and how to fix it.

thenumberthirteen:
Will these audio podcasts be for everyone, or just Publisher's Club members?

Just PubClub members.

TimeLord:
Will the audio tracks be available as a separate RSS feed for iTunes like the videos are already for PubClub members?

Yep, they'll be a separate feed from the videos. I need to give them a final test this morning, and if it looks like everything is on the CDN, I'll add the links to the feed page and post a notice up.

I liked the podcast. More please!

More 3 Dog Night references too!

EDIT: I like the length of these talks, I could even go for some longer ones. It's nice to listen to while I play Minecraft. Are there any other things like this and the one Yahtzee did?

Virgil:

TimeLord:

Yep, they'll be a separate feed from the videos. I need to give them a final test this morning, and if it looks like everything is on the CDN, I'll add the links to the feed page and post a notice up.

I noticed that we can now get Miracle of Sound's videos in Podcast form. Is he aware of that? As he does sell his songs on iTunes and his personal site.
I mean, I'm cool with them being free. But he's loosing money because now people like me don't need to buy his songs any more :/

EDIT: Also, boooo no Doomsday Arcade audio podcast. I mean I know why, archived video and all, but still boooo! :P

For the record, I also got the Three Dog Night reference and I would definitely play that Professor Layton game

Excellent Podcast, great stuff. I was thinking maybe you guys could invite people from the PubClub to podcast with you? We have many great guys and gals here, I bet if they would want to they would share awesome stuff with ya'll. Just a suggestion!

TimeLord:
EDIT: Also, boooo no Doomsday Arcade audio podcast. I mean I know why, archived video and all, but still boooo! :P

That actually does exist, it's just not linked from the site yet I believe. ;)

Kross:

TimeLord:

That actually does exist, it's just not linked from the site yet I believe. ;)

That is greatly informative and yet incredibly cryptic.

I'll just wait and see if it turns up on the list at some point in the future :)

TimeLord:
I'll just wait and see if it turns up on the list at some point in the future :)

It probably won't, but you can get to it by changing "podcast" to "audio" in the URL of the feed if you really want it. I wouldn't expect that it'd work very well though.

... I want to be able to put these on my Ipod... Please Escapist.. Let me put videos on my Ipod...

The reference is to the song yes? I washed my dishes whilst listening to this, very enjoyable. I hope Yahtzee and the other dude keep doing theirs as well. Thanks guys.

Two fantastic games, and neither on PC :(

(RDR and L.A. Noir)

that be One Is The Lonliest Number - Three Dog Night
great song, great podcast!

I got the reference. And Im in my early twenties, granted Im also the guy that upon seeing the Black Betty things Leadbelly and not Ram Jam.... So Ive already established that I am weird.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here