Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 NEXT

It looks like the Mary Sue found this story interesting enough to cover:

http://www.themarysue.com/jimquisitions-take-on-sexism-in-games-a-great-big-flat-joke/

Their take seems to echo what I and a lot of others have been saying about this video. Thoughts?

I disagree with some points but I think he needs to move around a little, like he's giving a real speech.

What is The Escapist?

A miserable little pile of successful trolls!

But enough overused memes... have traffic!

Here's an idea for me and everyone who hate Jim's show: Just don't come to the Escapist on Mondays. If enough people do it, they'll get the point.

Lol.

The second objectifying dudes starts selling, is the second Jim's wishes will come true. Till then, he seems entirely disconnected from WHY the developers are doing it.

jrplette:

http://www.themarysue.com/jimquisitions-take-on-sexism-in-games-a-great-big-flat-joke/

Their take seems to echo what I and a lot of others have been saying about this video. Thoughts?

My only thought is that I wouldn't even give the time of day to a website that thinks "The Mary Sue" is a clever choice of title -_-

Sentox6:

jrplette:

My only thought is that I wouldn't even give the time of day to a website that thinks "The Mary Sue" is a clever choice of title -_-

http://www.themarysue.com/why-the-mary-sue/

jrplette:

Sentox6:

http://www.themarysue.com/why-the-mary-sue/

The fact they feel the need to dedicate a page to justifying it says something, at least to me.

I'm quite familiar with the Mary Sue trope, anyway. I just think its use as a title amounts to "nudge nudge, wink wink" at best.

I did read the article, however. It basically just states the obvious and avoids drawing any real conclusions one way or the other.

Ah, there are too many things wrong with this to even start pointing it out. Where is the Editor in Chief in all this I'm wondering?!?

Haha, that was funny.

I just don't understand why the Escapist needs someone like Jim? This show isn't good and his behavior on twitter and his pat articles make gamers seem ignorant.

Why couldn't this just be a column? There's nothing video-friendly about it. Norsefire motif and "Jesters of the Moon" just don't compensate for the fact that he's really boring to watch. The point he's making is obviously comic, but he has no comedic presentation at all. There's no reason I couldn't have just read all of this, chuckled to myself, and moved on.

I thought perhaps it was just first impressions during his last video but, after coming to this same conclusion for a second time in a row, I think he needs to either up his game visually or stick with writing. And by "up his game visually" I don't mean "add boob pictures and visual penis jokes"; I mean "be more engaging to watch than a brick wall."

Guthie:
The point he's making is obviously comic, but he has no comedic presentation at all.

http://gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in-fact-very-sexist/
^No I think he is perfectly serious mate.
-----------
Don't Be a Jerk
This rule trumps any other. Any loophole you think you've found in any other rule is covered by this one. If you make our forums a less pleasant place to be, we don't want you here.

Posting Pics or Videos
Any pictures or videos that are vulgar, racist, hateful, or contain advertisements or nudity will be taken down immediately. When posting pictures or video, we request that you use spoiler tags:

-----------------------

I guess these rules dont apply to the actual site content anymore?

Jims awesome for the sole fact that he winds up the politically correct pseudo feminists and manginas trying to force their agenda onto videogames.

FreedomofInformation:
Jims awesome for the sole fact that he winds up the politically correct pseudo feminists and manginas trying to force their agenda onto videogames.

Quite.

Problem is, and this is where I think a lot of the hostility to Jimquisition is coming from, the Escapist as a website actively seeks the higher ground. I'm not talking about Extra Credits or MovieBob here. I'm talking about the website itself. "Gaming as a legitimate lifestyle choice" and all that.

There's no 'forum elite' setting the agenda for this site. The agenda is already being set by the editorial team. Extra Credits and MovieBob, hell even Yahtzee in Extra Punctuation sometimes, all share that idealism that Games Should Mean Something, though they all express it in different ways.

This is where the problem lies. Sure, the Escapist wants to appeal to a broad range of gamers, but Jim's stuff, and his overall internet persona, is utterly at odds with the 'mission statement' of the site as a whole, and I think that's what people are reacting to.

controversy can be saved when it's comedy, which is why thsi show cannot be saved.

I find this both inspiring and nausiating. Bravo sir! Keep up the good, horrible work!

*Shudders*

This person, and his content, is of substandard quality. Remove and/or replace.

Why is this above Unskippable?

loodmoney:

YouEatLard:
He, and anyone who agrees with him are missing the point.

Strange that you should take Sterling at face value. Nevertheless, you don't appear to be trolling, and you do seem to hold some rather erroneous beliefs that are easily disproved, so let me respond in kind:

Now, let me ask an equally important question. Why are more viruses programmed for Windows then Linux and Apple? Oh.... Windows has the largest (computer ignorant) user base of any OS. Might as well shoot for one with the biggest numbers when you're working the probability angle. Yes, I run Linux. Don't give me that more secure crap. Make an operating system more.... more anything and the human race will find a way to retard through it. It'll also find a way to exploit it. Sony, Iphone, Driod etc. (Sorry for the side rant.)

Okay, this is true. It is also where you invalidate the rest of your post. What if lots of people started buying & installing Linux and Apple? More viruses would be programmed for these systems. So, when you say--

You caught part of what was there.
People releasing a product will aim for the largest market possible.
(Dead on with the more viruses programmed for....)

loodmoney:

Why is there sex in games? Males are largest part of the player base who buy and play these games.People market to their intended audience. It's how sales works. Sex is a part of our lives. It's something that at least seems to work in advertising. In games , sexy characters are arrows pointed at their target.

--imagine what would happen if a larger part of the player base were to be female? More games would cater to females.

Agreed. Thats where I was going with that.

loodmoney:

This version of the player base, the human male, was released a long time ago. It's a little late to change.

Why? Do women not have money to spend on games? Are there laws that prevent them from buying games? Does their physiology make them unable to pick up a controller or use a keyboard? Shit no! If developers at large wanted to reach this market, there is absolutely nothing stopping them. Save, of course, tradition (read: "ingrained sexism") and short-sightedness.

And fail.

Males and females are in to different things. Who do you think is the biggest buyer of FPS, flight sims, racing games, and RPG's? This is where that OS argument rolls in. They're aiming for the largest part of this market.

A while back I read that there were more female gamers then male. The thing is that they are into different types of games. Games are aimed at their target audience.

This wasn't just aimed at gender either.

loodmoney:

Think about it.... and if need be, grow up, or at least complain about something equally as important.... like the sky being blue. Maybe some people would rather it be orange, or neon pink. Sorry though, this version of Earth has already been released. Some things are the way they are for a reason. Feel free to complain about it though. This issue is just as problematic and important as sex in games.

I had more to say, but I think the virus/operating system analogy should be enough to show how totally wrong this is.

And feel free to not confuse economic issues with moral ones.

Again, fail.

This was more pointing out how this whole arguement with sex in games is a not and issue. Games are products. Products are aimed at audiences. If you don't like the product don't buy it.

The whole point of all of this was to describe why games are the way they are, and to point out that any argument about it is pretty pointless.

there is nothing 'elitist' about not finding a show funny

FreedomofInformation:

-_- This sort of attitude is EXACTLY what we should be trying to avoid. Why is inclusiveness such a terrible thing? We can't we be friendly towards groups that have historically been ostracized by the mainstream, not for the content of their character, but because of their race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation? There's no agenda, we just want gaming to be the best that it can be, and that means eliminating discrimination.

And furthermore: mangina? Really? Name-calling doesn't get us anywhere. Its just immature.

I agree! Tight leather for everybody!...Except for zombies. They don't get tight leather chaps.

YouEatLard:

This was more pointing out how this whole arguement with sex in games is a not and issue. Games are products. Products are aimed at audiences. If you don't like the product don't buy it.

The whole point of all of this was to describe why games are the way they are, and to point out that any argument about it is pretty pointless.

We are not talking about sex in games. We are talking about sexism in games. Sexism in games is an issue, because sexism is an issue. The fact that there is a reasonable economic explanation for why games are the way they are does not make the problem go away. Furthermore, things can be done about it--if consumers bought fewer sexist games, and if developers made more inclusive ones.

So there is a point to these arguments, which is exactly why Sterling's arrogant "solution" is so goddamn objectionable.

jrplette:

It seems a bit defeatist. I mean, of course he is a troll, but I don't think that "getting angry about it will have little to no effect on anyone who was responsible for it, and, in fact, may actually encourage them do to more of the same thing." In fact, I think there are enough people here who realise that Sterling is indefensible, and we do have enough of a voice to get rid of him. As has been pointed out above, giving Sterling an outlet on The Escapist goes against all the implicit and explicit goals of the site and drags it down to the level of other mediocre gaming sites on the web. Basic issues of right and wrong aside, it is probably still in The Escapist's best financial interests to ditch one of the most disgustingly misogynist men in gaming from their lineup.

jrplette:
-_- This sort of attitude is EXACTLY what we should be trying to avoid. Why is inclusiveness such a terrible thing? We can't we be friendly towards groups that have historically been ostracized by the mainstream, not for the content of their character, but because of their race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation? There's no agenda, we just want gaming to be the best that it can be, and that means eliminating discrimination.

From what I can tell? The Internet definition of "agenda" seems to be "anything that calls the appropriateness of my behavior into question." Just my 2.

Natural Born Troll

loodmoney:
As has been pointed out above, giving Sterling an outlet on The Escapist goes against all the implicit and explicit goals of the site and drags it down to the level of other mediocre gaming sites on the web. Basic issues of right and wrong aside, it is probably still in The Escapist's best financial interests to ditch one of the most disgustingly misogynist men in gaming from their lineup.

Indeed. And to think that this "episode" was posted the same week as The Escapist was announced as the Webby winner for not only the top Gaming related site but the user choice for Best Lifestyle site. Assuming you do consider The Escapist as representing a lifestyle, I'd say that it's pretty likely many don't feel Sterling and his views have any place either in their lifestyle or in representing what their lifestyle is all about.

We all get the humour of things even if we don't personally find them funny. We all realize that if you don't like something you can simply opt not to watch it. Heck, I made it through about a minute of GameDogs and never touched it again. In Sterling's case, however, I think it's quite fair to say that things go beyond simple matters of taste or preference.

Jim just... just stop. Please.

Better?...

...possibly

Still say he needs an unscripted format and needs to stop talking down to the viewers. I know that's the act an all but it doesn't work on a magazine known for a more intelligent than usual user base. And the production values are still incredibly lacking compared to all the other shows

Oh oh oh Jim. I couldn't love you any more even if I was carrying your baby in my non-existent womb!

The Escapist is supposed to be much better than this in terms of (in no particular order):
1.) Quality
2.) Content
3.) Contributors

Jim's points have been made better by other contributors on this site. His blatant misogyny, his lack of ability as a speaker, his poor research, his awful demeanor, his lack of originality and his immaturity all betray the fact that he is speaking to the lowest common denominator of the gaming community.

This site just won a lifestyle award. This award was a prize given for the excellent and healthy community of people on this site. If it's considered 'elitist' or 'stuck up' to demand that the site represent the qualities it was awarded for, then so be it. It's elitist. It's the demand for superior quality since that is what the site is supposed to be.

I do not and will not support Jim on this site and I sincerely Editor-in-Chief Russ Pitt's is taking careful note of the reaction of the community. For the record I am not attacking this site and am actually a great fan of it, its contributors, its content and its community. However, this is so out of character for the site, there's no way it won't concern me.

Scarily, I agree. Sure, dead of alive is fun because you can shout "BOOBS!" everytime you get a KO without it being crude, since the makers went mammary mad, but there is kinda an unbalance.
Sure, it's pretty hard to appeal to the female audience sexually without grossing out a couple of 100 men. But you gotta live with it. Think of it this way. If women did not perv over men, we'd all be "gagging for it" faster than Gabe Newell can say the word "delay" in the same sentence as "game". If we can't please women, we're not getting anything back, and that's why games these days don't really sell. Sure, Ivy from Soulcalibur was hot, but who do women have to perv at? Rock? I think not...

[NOTE]: Fighting games are bad offenders of women.

This video appears in the dictionary next to 'meh'.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here