Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 22 NEXT

unabomberman:

EmpressZombiKitty:

unabomberman:

Plenty, actually.

But, hey, you happen to be the exception who wants to see more flesh in her male characters 'cause that should be what equates matters, apparently. Good for you.

Yeah, I'm a woman and I wouldn't mind to see more half-naked men. Also, to brownstudies, I usually choose Coach or Rochelle...because Nick is just as good.

You do realize that you have plenty of male blockheads to ogle, right? It's not like we dudes are underobjectified [sic], if that's how you want to define objectification that is. We just don't care as much--I certainly don't, really, but am merely pointing out the other side of the argument.

Also, there aren't that many studios, if there's even a single one, that cater to specific female tastes as there are for the male ones. If there were, along with more demographically geared great games we'd also have the equivalent of harlequin books, filled with swashbuckling assholes with chiseled chests who deep down are sensitive souls than can only be fully understood by either a horse tamer, a marine biologist, the reluctant heir of a corporate empire, etc. and, good lord, that's how equality would truly look like.

If I were to choose in a poll for more exposed men in games, sure I'd vote Yes for the amusement factor,(Like, I was amused by Chuck Greene in his boxers with a weird hat on.) but over all I don't care. It doesn't bring anything or take away from the game itself. The half-dressed woman don't offend me either. It's life. I'm a graphic designer and I've had to put plenty of scantily clad women in an ad to sell a product.

Plus, they're video game characters. If I want half-naked characters with an interesting story, I just watch true blood. lol

Seriously, Escapist? This is still going on? Look, if you've got extra money lying around, I'd be more than happy to take it and I bet that even hungover, without clothes and un-brushed hair with a frog in my mouth I could provide a more mature, funnier commentary than this Jim character, whose attempt at some kind of barely articulate Cartman with verbal diarrhea spewing from between his meaty chompers is plaguing your site.

I know, I know, you've got pressures with getting more viewers and Jim for some reason attracts lowly people like the Daily Sun attracts trailer trash, but you'd think that if on one hand you're trying to get a sensible "gaming as a lifestyle" type page going and even public recognition looms around the corner, that you'd actually want to have something with value, something with content and less misogynistic, poorly worded rants produced on an even lower budget by a guy that seems to have figured Yahtzee is popular cause he swears.

well, you could just add a slider for
'adult female content' and 'adult male content'
at the game set-up as options, then one can choose the exact amount of nakedness one wishes to see on each model type
i propose settings varying from:
'Winterwear' to 'lingerie'
and
'Cry-suit' to 'banana hammock'

if you REEEEaly want to.. then why not?

Gotta say, overall the video was fine. One-note, a little heavy on quasi-naked dudes (equality, remember?), but fine. I have to say that the calls for a content disclaimer on this one really does highlight the issue: you have problems with unclothed dudes, but not necessarily for the ladies. So, well played.

Honestly, the only real problem I would have with this show is if it replaced Lisa Foiles' Top 5. Then I would be sad.

He's not necessarily wrong. I just don't find this person entertaining, he isn't presenting this well, neither with his voice, mimics, gestics or his perpherie additions. It just reeks of low quality and seems to be nothing more then a shallow presentation combined with a ''wacky'' resolution. In short, this person simply isn't a good host.

Onyx Oblivion:
I like Jim, every since I found Dtoid.

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.

this Pacific youtube video is a has a valid point that i can agree with. this is first time i seen him agree able point with in out of the 3 videos i seen

that proves he be ability to make a valid point but he still proves it a tasteless way
why must he curse every other damn sentence to prove a point.
can't he just prove his point using mostly semi-intelligent words instead?
i am not saying he should pretentious; he should just sound smart.(sounding smart and being smart are two different things but in the end all about presentation.)
is it really that hard to not sound like a moron with limited vocabulary?

Everyone likes to look at pretty examples of the gender they're attracted to, and everyone likes getting fanservice.

EVERYONE

Except it's only the men who catch shit over their objectification. This oversensitivity nonsense is programed into many people's head as part of their perpetual victimization mindset.

Strike 2.

Jim Sterling:
Solving the Sexism Situation

Sexism in videogames is the worst social situation civilization mankind has ever faced. Thank the sweet babe o' Nazareth that someone has a way to fix it!

Watch Video

Actually much better than the last one. Still got that fucking annoying backing track playing in the background which needs turning off.

Okay this was better than last time, but it still isn't good.
The first episode was Transformers 2, now it's Transformers 1.
Couldn't we get someone better to do this?

manythings:

Patton662:
He ain't wrong.

I wouldn't call him right either since it's clearly a piss take.

Clearly my ass, this guy isnt joking.

EmpressZombiKitty:

unabomberman:

EmpressZombiKitty:

Yeah, I'm a woman and I wouldn't mind to see more half-naked men. Also, to brownstudies, I usually choose Coach or Rochelle...because Nick is just as good.

You do realize that you have plenty of male blockheads to ogle, right? It's not like we dudes are underobjectified [sic], if that's how you want to define objectification that is. We just don't care as much--I certainly don't, really, but am merely pointing out the other side of the argument.

Also, there aren't that many studios, if there's even a single one, that cater to specific female tastes as there are for the male ones. If there were, along with more demographically geared great games we'd also have the equivalent of harlequin books, filled with swashbuckling assholes with chiseled chests who deep down are sensitive souls than can only be fully understood by either a horse tamer, a marine biologist, the reluctant heir of a corporate empire, etc. and, good lord, that's how equality would truly look like.

If I were to choose in a poll for more exposed men in games, sure I'd vote Yes for the amusement factor,(Like, I was amused by Chuck Greene in his boxers with a weird hat on.) but over all I don't care. It doesn't bring anything or take away from the game itself. The half-dressed woman don't offend me either. It's life. I'm a graphic designer and I've had to put plenty of scantily clad women in an ad to sell a product.

Plus, they're video game characters. If I want half-naked characters with an interesting story, I just watch true blood. lol

It does annoy me when I see a character like Ivy from Soul Calibur whose cup size goes up with every game it makes chuckle at the needless tackiness, or yet another Macho soldier cursing and flexing his biceps and little else.

The issue isn't the frequency of the half-dressed women but the infrequency of those that are little more than that. And that's why Jim's oppinion is wrong.

Well, I gave him a second chance. I think I would read articles by this guy, but not watch videos.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:

Onyx Oblivion:
I like Jim, every since I found Dtoid.

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.

he has the ability to make a valid point but proves it a tasteless way
why must he curse every other damn sentence to prove a point.
can't he just prove his point using semi-intelligent words instead?
i am saying he should pretentious; he should just sound smart.(sounding smart and being smart are two different things but in the end all about presentation.)
is it really that hard to not sound like a moron with limited vocabulary?

Its just who he is, and how he talks. He discusses stuff that make him angry, and when he's angry, he swears a lot. Like most people do when angry.

You tried to change som things. Still not good enough. There's your second chance, now please leave.

I think the video was entertaining. Of course, that means most of the escapist will hate it. I hate being me sometimes!

Jim
Men are wired to objectify women.

I am a complete pervert. I've seen and enjoyed the most fucked-up stuff the internet has to offer. Do you know what part of a woman that I find most sexually attractive? I'll tell you: the quality of their character. An objectified woman is little more than a statue: aesthetically pleasing but otherwise uninteresting. If I like the character of a woman I'll find her about ten times more attractive than if she was just a pair of tits.

Jim's assertion that sex sells and therefore we should sell sex to both men and women simultaneously is a logical fallacy. Men like to look at half-naked women and women like to look at half-naked men. However, men don't like to look at half-naked men and women (I assume) don't like to look at half-naked women. By including half-naked members of both genders in your game you will neither attract nor repulse potential buyers. It'll sell no more or less than only including the "full-plate" option. It is better, from a marketer's point of view, to only objectify one gender at a time.

Also, women in chain mail bikinis don't look ridiculous because they're standing next to men in full-plate armor. They look ridiculous because only a complete fucking idiot would wear a chain mail bikini to a battle.

One more thing: what's up with the shitty MS Paint drawings of cocks? They distract from the monologue, they're not funny, and they're quite immature. I mean, come now, when have random and unfunny drawings of cocks ever contributed positively to... anything?

Is this guy a joke or just awful?

Does no one realise this is the guy from Destructoid? Or does The Escapist exist in its own separate dimension of the internet.

Like it, but get rid of the MS paint crap please.

Iron Lightning:

Jim

I am a complete pervert. I've seen and enjoyed the most fucked-up stuff the internet has to offer. Do you know what part of a woman that I find most sexually attractive? I'll tell you: the quality of their character. An objectified woman is little more than a statue: aesthetically pleasing but otherwise uninteresting. If I like the character of a woman I'll find her about ten times more attractive than if she was just a pair of tits.

Jim's assertion that sex sells and therefore we should sell sex to both men and women simultaneously is a logical fallacy. Men like to look at half-naked women and women like to look at half-naked men. However, men don't like to look at half-naked men and women (I assume) don't like to look at half-naked women. By including half-naked members of both genders in your game you will neither attract nor repulse potential buyers. It'll sell no more or less than only including the "full-plate" option. It is better, from a marketer's point of view, to only objectify one gender at a time.

A lot of bold assertions in there without much backing, how many action films now feature a brief "hero is topless" scene? I saw Thor the other week and I didn't hear any guys complaining when he got his top off.

wizzy555:

Iron Lightning:

Jim

A lot of bold assertions in there without much backing, how many action films now feature a brief "hero is topless" scene? I saw Thor the other week and I didn't hear any guys complaining when he got his top off.

It's not quite the same "taboo" as with breasts, but women do love seeing the abs, which is why there was such controversy over older women lusting after topless and objectifying pictures of the then underage actor who played the werewolf in Twilight

Look, just stop with the MS Paint stuff and this show would be a lot better. I know this show can be good, the topics chosen have just been... easy. And the paint stuff makes it more annoying than it is.

DEFINITE improvement on the first one. Will watch the third with interest.

Liked last week and this was better. Makes me laugh and has some good points. Keep it up!

Iron Lightning:
*Snip*

Men project ideal personalities onto anonymous women, and vice-versa.
A half-naked man does not 'counteract' the positive effects of a half-naked woman, and vice-versa.
It isn't "Jim's assertion that sex sells", it is known. This is why you don't see enough 'normal-looking' people in adverts & on aspirational shows.

Must be some pretty bright lighting to be wearing those shades indoors...

OT: Watched the first episode, didn't really enjoy it. At all. This time around, though I found myself deeply interested and invested in the strong, valid points he was mak-

Wait, no I wasn't. It's still not good. What ever happened to Lisa?

Raistlinhawke:
With all due respect, Escapist, as it is your site and all, but weren't we clear with the initial reaction this new series? Menial improvements does not make up for his complete lack of joke ability and abrasive, unappealing demeanor. His production values are still rock bottom, and he still fails to offer a concise, valid point in any meaningful way.

At the very least I hope at least a portion of the detractors have the courage of their convictions and follow through with their threat to abandon viewership of the site until Sterling's removal. It would at least provide the free market excuse for dumping the series apparently needed in this situation.

Please Escapist, at least do the most obvious math, not that much effort is required here.

the fact you actually think most of escapist videos have good production values...is the single reason not to listen to you.

This is better than last week's sorry affair. It's got past the re-treading old ground to sort-of carve out a semi-niche by having gaming issues, but taking them in ridiculous directions...

Better this week.

I suspect the MS paint stuff hides edit seams in the video...

Funny people are screaming to get this guy off the site when he says such awesome stuff.I bet all of you got offended of the image of Marcus in a thong.Or all the almost naked men.Or that peripheral subjects are covered in other good shows.

And the MS paint stuff is fairly classic.I remember before photoshop became the rage people used to do weird shit with mspaint.But what would I know there's gonna be 50 people on my ass in a bit to try and tell me I'm wrong.

I'm not prepared to disagree with his fundamental premises: 1) people, of both genders, have and like having sex; 2) why not appeal equally to the sexual lust of both genders rather than just one, exclusively? However, his delivery really needs some editing.

Lenin211:
Is this guy a joke or just awful?

An awful joke.

I know this is so late in the comments that few people probably read it, but I'll relink this anyway as I find it an interesting read and the main reason why I won't be watching anything this man produces in the future. http://gomakemeasandwich.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in.html

I've never really posted at all on this site, but I read topics and watch videos (and add to your revenue) on a daily basis and I've not encountered anyone on here (be they contributors or members) that have put me off of something as fast as mr Jim Sterling. I don't want to associate with people of his kind in any way, shape or form.

When/if this person (and I use that term loosely) is allowed to post a third piece of content, I will be deleting my user on here and find other sources for entertainment far improved over 'the jimquisition', such as drinking a broken glass of tabasco sauce - shards and all.

Goodbye Escapist (as I assume they'll still let this guy spew his vileness all across the intrawebs even with my feeble expression of disapproval), it was fun while it lasted.

Ps. Feel somewhat sheepish having voted for the escapist in that lifestyle award thingymajigg
Ds.

Ok I'm sold the previous one kinda sucked this was a lot better. The strategic use of Fuck was better

So it isn't "classy", except the FFIX, still, strip things to the bones, and you'll easily note that he has a point.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here