Zero Punctuation: Portal 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Portal 2

This week, the Zero Punctuation you've been waiting for. Is Portal 2 better than Portal?

Watch Video

Fuck me I was so hyped for this one. Great, comprehensive review. I agree that I like Portal 1's more 'modest' approach, so to speak.

When it comes to decent sequels, Portal 2...

I had the same problem when I played co-op with two different people, it was fun with the first person but the second person was so slow to solve puzzles I just did it for him, it was a very frustrating experience for both of us.

Now you're sinking with portholes? Lol!
Nice review.

Well,I've been looking forward to this episode for 2 weeks, so my feelings about it is much like your feelings toward Portal 2. I pretty much expected everything you said, so I was very disappointed. Maybe I just know you too well. For the record, I think it holds up very nicely and I'll look back on both the Portal games as the best there ever was.

Here is a good complain about the first Portal

To damn easy

well...uh...apparently the mods didnt like that I simply said "great review" in my original post...so let me expand.

I agree with your final analogy re: cherries/sawdust. Couldn't have said it better myself. Particularly in the middle third of the game, the exploration sequences get really dodgy. I appreciate some exploration in games (eg. Metroid) but this was way too over-the-top for Portal. My other criticism is that some of the puzzles seemed a bit too reliant on "luck" for me. But thats all. I would give it a 9/10

HankMan:
When it comes to decent sequels, Portal 2...

How the hell do you manage to make 90% of your posts lately puns?

Glad to see you enjoyed Portal 2 enough to recommend it to others. I haven't picked it up yet, but this was a good reminder that I should get on that.

Yeah...Portal 2 had the problem of having to overdo everything in hopes of pleasing a fanbase that is possible crazier than any other fanbase out there.

(and yes, they did briefly mention cake in Portal 2)

It's a good game, but I do agree that having puzzles in gigantic empty spaces where I'm squinting to try and find the one portal spot is just tedious. I think the only room I liked with that was the one where you could spray down the entire room with the portal-able gunk, 'cause I just filled the entire room with it and proceeded to go everywhere.

Some of the puzzles were really fun to do, but none of them took me more than a minute or two to figure out, and most of solving it was just getting the mechanic to agree with me.

So, good game, but just a bit too vast and non-puzzle oriented. Spot on, sir.

While i did find it hard to get through some of the area transitions, notably from the Enrichment Center into Cave's Enrichment Spheres, it did take me a while to figure out just where the hell i had to go.

As for quantity over quality when i played it it left me with the same satisfaction that i got 3 years ago when i played the first game.

I agree with the fans of valve.
I will admit not all of them are idiots though.

Awesome review. Glad to see you liked it, but didn't overly shower it with praise.

I might get this game when it comes down in price to something stupid.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the frequent and annoying loading screens.

Awesome review. Glad to see you liked it, but didn't overly shower it with praise.

I might get this game when it comes down in price to something stupid.

Great review, the replayability is the biggest flaw I think...shame they couldn't somehow figure out randomly generated puzzles...guess that would be next to impossible.

Good news about the incoming DLC though, hopefully that'll extend the length a fair bit.

Gotta say though, I don't really begrudge the game for its lack of replay value, which is odd. I really just thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, I felt that it added a lot more depth and the development of the characters was great.

Still, I haven't done the co-op yet, maybe afterwards I'll feel bitter about it haha.

*sigh* I foresee 986.3 pages filled with nothing but cake jokes. Great review, but you're right, Portal has the most obnoxious fans of any game thus far.

If Portal 3 takes place in space, how would momentum work?

yesjam:
well...uh...apparently the mods didnt like that I simply said "great review" in my original post...so let me expand.

I agree with your final analogy re: cherries/sawdust. Couldn't have said it better myself. Particularly in the middle third of the game, the exploration sequences get really dodgy. I appreciate some exploration in games (eg. Metroid) but this was way too over-the-top for Portal. My other criticism is that some of the puzzles seemed a bit too reliant on "luck" for me. But thats all. I would give it a 9/10

That'd be because you posted before you could have possibly watched the video.

OT: I think I'll have to disagree with Yahtzee on this review, but that may be because I just didn't get the buzz about the first Portal, didn't think it was that great. So from my point of view, more variety and more content is a great thing, I prefer the second.

Dunno 'bout you lot, but I reckon Akubras kick arse and take names.

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Here is a good complain about the first Portal

To damn easy

The second one is easy as hell as well. To me, making portal levels is about as hard as animating cartoons from scratch. You work your ass off making this gorgeous set-piece and artwork just to find out you've only make 10 seconds of it.

Portal 2 is easy. The coop campaign is awesome and you can be really clever with the puzzles, but there are only really a very very small handful of ways to complete them. Making it feel so linear that there is no point of doing it again.

Seriously, the free coop mods are most likely going to be more entertainment than Valves. Because Valve will stick to the mantra that "this is an action game for non action people". Screw that, it needs more platforming elements and some serious skill to get through them to be enjoyable. Otherwise, each mission takes 2-5 minutes to figure out.

Now all i need to see is his review of Duke Nukem Forever and my life will be complete. For a bit.

this makes me wish that i had a PS3 even more but whatev great review yahtzee :)

I also agree that the co-op mode has a serious flaw of having no replay value. To be fair I haven't played it yet, but I know if I were to jump online I'd just find people who have already played it to death who just bark commands at me the whole time, essentially making me a tool (in more ways than one) to progress as opposed to us using our collective reasoning to figure out a particular puzzle. Maybe I could convince a friend to play it with me, but that isn't even guaranteed sadly.

Overall a good review and about what I expected him to say.

It's rather funny. I got epically chewed out by multiple people and got called a troll when I used the exact same arguement as my reason why I thought portal one was better than portal two on a thread a week ago.

apparently it's only a valid arguement when Yahtzee says it...

18 posts with one mention of cake, and it not being "a lie."
This looks promising.

No memes?

Well my response to that is Lemons and Spaaaaaaaaaaaace!

To be honest, I liked the second Portal better. Maybe because it let me explore the personality of my arch enemy some more, or maybe it was figuring out the story behind Aperture. All and all, I regard both Portals (the games, not the actual portals) as two of the best games I've played in my life.

Also, how could someone not like the turret opera?

Your opinion tastes like shepherd's pie and sawdust, with a few of the cherries we expected.
Now, that's the Yatzee we love-hate.

Very, VERY surprised he didn't complain at all about the shameless retconning of the first game. Given how he feels about shameless sequels, even if Portal 2 doesn't qualify as one by a wide margin, I would think yoinking away a happy ending in a patch, just so there can be a sequel, would be on his top-ten list of biggest dick moves a developer can pull.

That, and

...something he's raged against very loudly in the past.

"..the fans are annoying..." I can relate to that.

Portal 1 was indeed amazing because no one expected it to be and I especially like that Yahtzee went so far out of his way to look at the developers commentary. I think compared to the drivel we've been having recently (ahem CoD blah, Mario bleck, Fallout New vlarghpoo) in terms of sequels this is one of the best sequels I've seen since "sliced bread: the second loaf".

It's refreshing compared to everything else out there and the humour did make me laugh, but yes it was a different kind of humour and the exploration puzzles were a little too open as appossed to the tight compact gameplay of Portal 1. However this is like a daddy trying to outdo his father in the same field, it's just pretty darn impossible because as much as danny boy can try, he won't have nearly the same impact as daddy did, even if he did the exact same thing...

Russian_Assassin:
To be honest, I liked the second Portal better. Maybe because it let me explore the personality of my arch enemy some more, or maybe it was figuring out the story behind Aperture. All and all, I regard both Portals (the games, not the actual portals) as two of the best games I've played in my life.

Also, how could someone not like the turret opera?

I agree. This is the first time I have been really dissapointed with a ZP video. There really wasn't anything WRONG with portal 2, it was just DIFFERENT. So why did he complain because it wasn't small-scale? It was better in EVERY way!

I agree with all you said about it. It was rather easy aside from maybe 1 or 2 puzzles near the end.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here