Zero Punctuation: Portal 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Great review, I do love Portal 1 and 2, a lot. But I do not bang on about it.

I'm not sure what one I prefered. I love the way you can explore more in 2.

New meme's coming your way, too... SPAAAACCCCEEE!!! LEMONS!

AAAH-

huh, Yahtzee ripping on a sequel. Not really surprising.

he sounds louder. Either he got a new mike or I turned the sound up too high.

*checks*

yep, turned up the sound.

srpilha:

EcksTeaSea:
Anyone else hear a donkey braying for about 5 minutes? Yeah, thats all I heard too.

Just 'cause you get good WiFi in the middle of your donkey farm doesn't mean you should abuse it.

The donkey, I mean.

(sorry, I know I shouldn't feed it, but that was too obvious to resist :P )

Oh man you think I am a troll? Fantastic. Thank you for making my day.

I was so hoping you would complain about the areas between the puzzles because I personally found those infuriating. Glad I'm not the only one.

Amax29:
I had the same problem when I played co-op with two different people, it was fun with the first person but the second person was so slow to solve puzzles I just did it for him, it was a very frustrating experience for both of us.

yeah the puzzles arent quite as fun if you played the single player mode first, but then again the things glados says are much more comedic if you did.

I still like both games. Neither is better than the other. Yahtzee said that the massive amount of moving around the facility was a bad thing, however I liked it because it fleshed out the Aperture Science facility in all its entirety. Portal was fun, but it was way too short after beating for the 3rd time.

thethingthatlurks:
*sigh* I foresee 986.3 pages filled with nothing but cake jokes. Great review, but you're right, Portal has the most obnoxious fans of any game thus far.

trollpwner:

Russian_Assassin:
To be honest, I liked the second Portal better. Maybe because it let me explore the personality of my arch enemy some more, or maybe it was figuring out the story behind Aperture. All and all, I regard both Portals (the games, not the actual portals) as two of the best games I've played in my life.

Also, how could someone not like the turret opera?

I agree. This is the first time I have been really dissapointed with a ZP video. There really wasn't anything WRONG with portal 2, it was just DIFFERENT. So why did he complain because it wasn't small-scale? It was better in EVERY way!

the appeal for portal 1 for me was innovation, and just the sheer 'cuteness' of it.

portal 2 didnt have either feature, and in my opinion was trying too hard to be funny. the development should have been left upto the original minor team that valve recruited years ago.

i don't understand why yahtzee didn't like the in between stages. You got to really think outside the box in those ones. I paticularly liked the turret line up one.

I can see why he wouldn't have liked some of them though. When wheatley threw me down the elevator shaft, i spent about 8 minutes looking up trying to find a portable surface in the distance, only to realize that one was just a few feet to my right behind a wire fence.

Edit spoiler also their totally was a reference to cake in that game! remember glados's 'trap'? on the fake door it clearly says 'glados emergency shutdown room and cake dispensery'

I'm glad you liked it Yahtzee, and you've got a point.

I've always thought that the problem with Portal 2 is that it lacks the slow burn of atmosphere and the sudden punch of realisation that the original did. That's not a criticism though, it's the sort of thing that can't be repeated. Now that we know what's going on: that the Apeture Science Facility isn't the clinical lab we first thought, the surprise is over and we're always going to be suspicious of it, always waiting for it to turn on us and go all sinister. It'll never hit us in the same way that the first playthrough of the first game did.

I did love the game though, and it's a good review. It was fair and made me giggle. Plus he's damn right: the fans drive me mad.

Steve the Pocket:
Very, VERY surprised he didn't complain at all about the shameless retconning of the first game. Given how he feels about shameless sequels, even if Portal 2 doesn't qualify as one by a wide margin, I would think yoinking away a happy ending in a patch, just so there can be a sequel, would be on his top-ten list of biggest dick moves a developer can pull.

That, and

...something he's raged against very loudly in the past.

cool i figured out how to do a spoiler warning thing!

I didn't really like Portal. Yes, I said it. I really don't like puzzle games in general though.

I played the hell out of Half-Life and all the associated multiplayer addons (Team Fortress, CS, Firearms, etc.) However Valve seems to have lost me after HL2. HL2 was very late but a good game, but not so good that I ever bothered finishing it. TF2 was VERY late and I never could get over the fact they made it cartoony instead of realistic like those oh-so-tantalizing concept shots released about 10 years before the game actually came out.

Nailed it. This is exactly what I have been saying about Portal 2 since it came out (in essence, at least). It's still a great game, but it wasn't quite as memorable as the first game and its replay value is... not very good.

Anyway, great review! ^_^

TimeLord:
No memes?

Well my response to that is Lemons and Spaaaaaaaaaaaace!

So much Space, need to see it all! *exhales excitedly* SPACE SPAAACE SPAAAAAAAACCCEE!!!

I was hoping he'd cite the spacecore anywhere. Love that thing.

CardinalPiggles:

thethingthatlurks:
*sigh* I foresee 986.3 pages filled with nothing but cake jokes. Great review, but you're right, Portal has the most obnoxious fans of any game thus far.

trollpwner:

Russian_Assassin:
To be honest, I liked the second Portal better. Maybe because it let me explore the personality of my arch enemy some more, or maybe it was figuring out the story behind Aperture. All and all, I regard both Portals (the games, not the actual portals) as two of the best games I've played in my life.

Also, how could someone not like the turret opera?

I agree. This is the first time I have been really dissapointed with a ZP video. There really wasn't anything WRONG with portal 2, it was just DIFFERENT. So why did he complain because it wasn't small-scale? It was better in EVERY way!

the appeal for portal 1 for me was innovation, and just the sheer 'cuteness' of it.

portal 2 didnt have either feature, and in my opinion was trying too hard to be funny. the development should have been left upto the original minor team that valve recruited years ago.

Somewhat doubt that would fix much, CardinalPiggles. We're talking about a sequel here, not a brand new property. I can hardly imagine a sequel besting a well-recieved predecessor in terms of ingenuity or novelty (while still remaining a faithful continuation of the predecessor). You can, and should look at Portal 2 as its own game, but it IS Portal 2; the spirit, and some mechanics always travel from the original to the descendant.

EDIT: I WOULD love to be proven wrong about sequels here; feel free to refute in some way.

And trollpwner, Yahtzee ALWAYS complains in his videos; it is his MO. To give him credit, however, he has mentioned that the game is good (or at least, one you should not neglect, I believe); looking at Mr. Croshaw's track record, if he calls a game good, IT'S GOOD (at least, you'll most likely enjoy it).

While I loved Portal 2 I couldn't agree more with the complaint concerning the numerous gargantuan areas in which you spend upwards of ten minutes simply trying to find where in the world you're actually meant to be going.
It hurts the pacing a lot, and feels almost as though Valve were afraid people would complain if the game was too short, and so threw in a load of road-blocks to stall you.

Yopaz:

ImBigBob:
I'm surprised you didn't mention the frequent and annoying loading screens.

You know if you play this game on a PC like you should that cuts loading times a lot, never had an issue with them.

Great review, I was surprised to see that he like it this much, I would even say it seemed like he loved it, just not as much as the first one.

All I have is a laptop, which can't run anything more advanced than Torchlight. For a game like Portal, it lags like hell, so I'm playing it on PS3, thank you very much.

Besides, Uncharted 2 was a hell of a lot better looking than Portal, and I don't think there was a loading screen in the entire game. Every new locale was completely seamless. Meanwhile, Portal 2 has you exploring interesting locales and just when you're getting interested, -LOADING-.

He says what we're all thinking.

Finally a honest review which is kinda weird since it comes from yahtzee who usually does shock jokes. Atleast confirms my idea on how buttkissing were the others I've seen so far on escapist, for a moment I thought they we're made by staff of IGN.

To me, just the fact that we can even have a game like Portal 2 in todays market, counts for a lot.

Steve the Pocket:
Very, VERY surprised he didn't complain at all about the shameless retconning of the first game. Given how he feels about shameless sequels, even if Portal 2 doesn't qualify as one by a wide margin, I would think yoinking away a happy ending in a patch, just so there can be a sequel, would be on his top-ten list of biggest dick moves a developer can pull.

That, and

...something he's raged against very loudly in the past.

Technically, he wasn't a villain...

Don't read it if you don't want to be spoiled.

I am so so glad he mentioned the fanbase and the fact that 90% of the game is just looking for white tiles in a big derped up room. Seriously both games are mildly good but fucking hell am I sick of hearing about them.

I definitely felt Portal 2 was better than Portal 1. Here I was wondering if it they could manage to follow up the original with something of equal caliber, and they did. Miraculously.

What's lost from Portal 1 would have been lost no matter what sequel you tried to make. Valve knew that, and compensated for it with so much more.

The humor wasn't as good, but I'm pretty sure the majority of that problem stems from expecting so much from it. A really good joke comes unexpected, and in contrast I was squeezing every last word for comedic value as if it were the last bit of toothpaste in the tube.

Also kudos to the co-op for making a light bridge level with the most awesome level design I've ever seen.

HankMan:
When it comes to decent sequels, Portal 2...

You win.

EcksTeaSea:
Anyone else hear a donkey braying for about 5 minutes? Yeah, thats all I heard too.

That's one ghetto desktop.

He's definitely right on the whole Too big thing and on the Humor.. Imean Cave and Wheatley were funny but not PORTAL pitch black stingy humor.. But when you wake glados SHE'S funny... also SSSPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCEE

ANybody?

Is there spoilers in this review?

Im going to play it, but obviously i like Zero Punctuation

I completely agree with Yatzee on most counts, however, I did find that the multiplayer feature had one redeemable quality as far as replay was concerned: when my boyfriend and I replayed it to get the achievements, we did excellently working together and managed to wrap them up nicely in a very short time. It was enjoyable and we worked well together because we had played it before. I know this is probably a small thing, and if you didn't have achievements, then you wouldn't have this luxury. Nor would I want to play co-op with someone who hadn't played (I have zero patience and the bf and I raced to solve puzzles before the other one did). I thought it was worth mentioning because I wasn't sure if Yatzee was a secret achievement hunter, or if he's jaded enough by games to not give a $h*t about little electronic trinkets and sound effects pronouncing his awesomeness... Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, he probably gets that enough by reading these posts.

That said: Portal 2 was great, not because of the puzzles, but because of the story development. I've wanted to know more about Glados since the first game came out, and Valve was kind enough to supply while giving us several other lovable characters to appreciate. I have to agree the single player sequence lacked quality, but it made up for it by giving us a story that fleshed it out and helped pave the way for a delightful Portal 3 that hinted at everything from Glados taking over the world with giant turrets, to portals in space, to freedom on a desolate planet with only a portal gun and your wits and I, for one, cannot wait!

Well, it doesn't tell you the end or anything like that, but it does mention about some content either being there, or not being there. Nothing intense.

like the little flameshield he put up at end ; still havent played the sequel but i dont think id be able to sit through it if it's much longer than the first

Hahaha Yahtzee made a positive review :D

I actually agree. Good game, but I played Co-op with my brother and almost beat him up because he kept telling me how to solve the puzzles. Part of the fun, of fun is figuring them out...

It seems like most people who already beat the coop just rush through when someone new joins in, thus ruining the fun the newbie. Am I only one who's not doing this? I already beat the whole coop at least 3 times already, but I just loooooooooooooooove being in the world of Aperture Science.

If I team up with someone who still hasn't finished all the puzzles, I just sit back and dance & let them figure it out. To me, it's whole lot more fun seeing someone stumbling around & only lending hands when they ask me to.

If I team up with someone who also beat the whole thing, I still try to sit back & watch-- so I can compare how he/she solves the puzzles, versus how I remember doing them.

that was a very fair review.

So the moral of the story is that Yahtzee likes short games with no story that aren't sequels. Each day I get closer to finding out exactly what kind of games he likes.

I actually liked Portal 2 more, without disliking Portal 1 at all.

My one niggle with the review is Yahtzee mentioning that the original Portal's only fault is its fans. It's not like Valve purposely set out to market the game to fan boy twats, that's just how it fell. Valve marketed the game, then fan boy twats accumulated (not saying that every fan of Portal is a twat, just a collective of voices).

I think you might be helping Yahtzee's argument about the fans more than agreeing with Russian_Assassin. I love both games! Though I feel #2 is better for all the same story reasons Russian_Assassin laid out and more.

Remember who's reviewing it though. Of course he's going to find the bad parts, I often just assume the other parts are good. He seems to hate Fans and "game title">=#2 by default, especially when baited. =)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here