Trailers: Rage: The Shrouded

Pages PREV 1 2

I feel like kicking myself in the ass when I said Rage would be a piece of shit two years ago. Now look at it. I'm not even into shooters that much and I'm screaming like a little girl in my head for this game.

The overall theme of the game is very much brown/Fallout-ish.

I'm very curious to play to see the results of John Carmack's work though.

Enemy RC-XD incoming.

OT: I love the way this thing looks, and not just graphics-wise. Definitely will buy.

This is ID tech 5? It looks... almost exactly like a game based on id tech 4.

One part Fallout, one part COD(regenerative health, enemies use cover correctly) and a smidgen of Borderlands(vehicles), interesting though regenerative health cover-based shooters have been done to death, at least it's a sandbox, right? Who am I kidding it's Bethesda, 90% of what they do is sandboxes.

NinjaDeathSlap:
It's an open world, first person game set in a huge post-apocalyptic wasteland (most likely caused by nuclear war), where you carry multiple weapons and items and mostly fight deformed mutants. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some form of moral choice system in here too, and the first half hour or so will be some kind of interactive tutorial in a much smaller environment.

Maybe my first post was a little exaggerated as we don't know much about the plot yet, but from whet we've seen so far the differences seem far more minor and aesthetic than the similarities.

I'm inclined to agree. I bet the base raids will get old real fast. Probably copypasta environments to boot. That's only speculation mind, but if it is anything like Fallout 3, that is what we'll end up with.

This game looks pretty terrible. Yay another generic shooter from the company that hasn't brought us any good games in years...

Stop using the console to make your trailers ID! Just makes your game look like shit.

Don Reba:
The graphics look quite outdated at this point, but animation is very good.

You hurrred then you deeerped

RAGE is built on id tech 5, which hasn't even been released yet.
The engine is ON PAR/BETTER THAN the crysis 1/2 engines.

Learn the difference between graphics and art style

The gritty art style and wasteland setting are what you are talking about and if you think that is "outdated" well thats your personal opinion.

Also just fyi the game with the best "graphics", in terms of texture resolutions, graphical extensions etc... is actually Metro 2033.

Most people don't realize this because the game is extremely hard to max (on dx11, with super dof and tessellation), if you do manage to max it though, IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING MOVIE.

Currently RAGE looks like it could take that place if it supports dx11 etc.... Hard to tell from these trailers, don't know what its currently running on.

Really unimpressed. Looks like a slightly better looking Borderlands... :/

$60 for a massive "LOOK AT OUR NEW ENGINE!!!" from ID tech.
It's Borderlands. Seriously. It is just Borderlands + fancy new physics.

Pakkie:
RAGE is built on id tech 5, which hasn't even been released yet.
The engine is ON PAR/BETTER THAN the crysis 1/2 engines.

Oh, please. Id is long out of that league. Just recall Doom 3 coming out later than Far Cry and using hose dead-end shadows volumes.

Pakkie:
The gritty art style and wasteland setting are what you are talking about and if you think that is "outdated" well thats your personal opinion.

Thinking we're psychic, are we? Well, I have bad news for you. :)

Pakkie:
Also just fyi the game with the best "graphics", in terms of texture resolutions, graphical extensions etc... is actually Metro 2033.

Agreed. Oles Shishkovtsov is a genius.

Pakkie:
Most people don't realize this because the game is extremely hard to max (on dx11, with super dof and tessellation), if you do manage to max it though, IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING MOVIE.

The trailer clearly did not manage it, 'cause: look at the size of those pixels. Besides low-res textures, you've got low-poly models everywhere, primitive lighting and everything looking like clay. It looks closer to Doom 3 than Crisis.

Okay seriously that guy who played in the video SUCKED ballz! My grandmother can play better.... X_X
Nevertheless the game looked amazing!

Through the entire video all I could think of was, Borderlands without the unique graphics and better vehicle handling. I must admit, the animations (Like when the sentry bot climbs over the creates and then jumps down on that guy) were awesome, but otherwise this is just another bland, "gritty" fps, with some slap dash RPG elements.

Still, I'll be keeping my eye on it, maybe future trailers will reveal some more interesting mechanics.

Not impressed. Failed to sell the game to me.

It looks like there's a Regenerative Health System in it. I'll certainly pass. Anim's are worth a mention though, and the GFX does it's job.

that spider drone reminded me of red alert 2, did that series die?

hey! look! it's Fallout, but with. . . no, it's just Fallout.

actually, it's more like Borderlands, but visually less appealing and weaker characters.

also, those guys he was shooting at had the weakest retreat plan ever: run behind a crate and wait for the protagonist to come around the corner, then keep shooting.

i am at a loss as to why we should pay attention to this game. i need something more than just a few minors differences.

I don't care what it copies. Lots of great games are incredibly unoriginal, but that doesn't have any bearing on their quality. I like what I'm seeing here.

I mean, sure it has some console smegma and probably won't be great. After all, id hasn't been fantastic for around a decade or so, AND it's being published by Bethesda. But I like the AI, the animations (that shotgun blast that makes the enemy trip and fall over near the beginning of the underground installation part, shit yeah), and the gadgets.

Gotta love that 60fps goodness, but I still can't watch a console FPS without thinking Go there! Now lean around that corner! Oh, it's a console game. Shoot that guy! Now that guy! Now lean around that corner! Oh, it's a console game.

Looks like a solid game. One thing I noticed was the AI: they had a nice touch with the falling over when wounded and that guy limping away, but those touches just showed up how bad they are at reacting to the player :/ I'm really getting to hate it when the AI's hiding behind a crate, but is completely exposed and doesn't respond as he's getting shot. Just smashed immersion, but no-one seems bothered to change it. Even BF3 showcased it in it's gameplay trailer and it pisses me off :/

Played HL2 a bit today, and was surprised when the AI put down cover/suppression fire as I popped out from a couple of windows. It's been a while since I noticed the AI actually being smart, and I reckon HL2's AI is actually quite under-rated, especially compared to most of the dross on the market these days :/

AI's probably the single biggest innovation I want to see in video games - all the rest of the gimmicks and shit they do these days mean little if all your tricks and weapons allow you to do is just another turkey shoot.

im not sure what to think

it reeks of borderlands...and im not sure if there will be enough stuff to keep me interested

however i did like the interactions with the AI and drones

spesh when the little spider thing umped on the dude

that was cool....but stuff like that gets old pretty quick

undecided

Wicky_42:
Looks like a solid game. One thing I noticed was the AI: they had a nice touch with the falling over when wounded and that guy limping away, but those touches just showed up how bad they are at reacting to the player :/ I'm really getting to hate it when the AI's hiding behind a crate, but is completely exposed and doesn't respond as he's getting shot. Just smashed immersion, but no-one seems bothered to change it. Even BF3 showcased it in it's gameplay trailer and it pisses me off :/

Played HL2 a bit today, and was surprised when the AI put down cover/suppression fire as I popped out from a couple of windows. It's been a while since I noticed the AI actually being smart, and I reckon HL2's AI is actually quite under-rated, especially compared to most of the dross on the market these days :/

AI's probably the single biggest innovation I want to see in video games - all the rest of the gimmicks and shit they do these days mean little if all your tricks and weapons allow you to do is just another turkey shoot.

I agree. I don't care if graphics get better or not, but can we at least make the AI slightly smarter then a clump of clay?

NinjaDeathSlap:
It's an open world, first person game set in a huge post-apocalyptic wasteland (most likely caused by nuclear war), where you carry multiple weapons and items and mostly fight deformed mutants. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some form of moral choice system in here too, and the first half hour or so will be some kind of interactive tutorial in a much smaller environment.

Maybe my first post was a little exaggerated as we don't know much about the plot yet, but from whet we've seen so far the differences seem far more minor and aesthetic than the similarities.

Rage takes place after a meteor impact. Apophis to be exact...

Also worth pointing out that it is most certainly an FPS, and not an RPG. The game length is 15 hours, which is pretty solid for an FPS as well. It is NOT a vast open world, but instead a series of large fairly open environments that the player can explore.

I don't get it, this just looks like another clunky brown shooter. Can someone explain the appeal to me?

The AI looked retarded, the map seemed linear, and the guns had no recoil. It looks like something I have done a few hundred times before.

Zer_:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Rage takes place after a meteor impact. Apophis to be exact...

Also worth pointing out that it is most certainly an FPS, and not an RPG. The game length is 15 hours, which is pretty solid for an FPS as well. It is NOT a vast open world, but instead a series of large fairly open environments that the player can explore.

A meteor impact. So the closest equivalent natural disaster to a nuclear bomb they could think o then...

ok in all seriousness maybe it doesn't share as many things as I first thought. I was going to buy the game anyway but I'm still a bit skeptical over the general feel of the game being a little too similar.

I don`t get it why people compare Rage to Borderlands since game play wise the game is most probably closer to Fallout then the MMO-ish type quests of Borderlands. Also Rage doesn`t use cell shading so stop comparing it to Borderlands in the graphics department because it makes no sense.

I`m not by any means trying to defend Rage or talk garbage about Borderlands but stop making half assed comments about shit. If I wanted to read this kind of garbage I would have gone to Gamespot.

Wow. Brown, brown everywhere - and a bit of red, too. Animation looked good tho, too good for mocap.

I've had enough of this post-apocalyptic style tho. Seen in already in Metro2033 and Fallout and [long list]. Wherever the bright visions of the future went to?

Overall, looks generic, will only buy it if there's extremely positive resonance after the launch. Liked the spiderbot tho.

Is it Bulletstorm meets Borderlands? It certainly looks this way.

Wulfclaw:
Is it Bulletstorm meets Borderlands? It certainly looks this way.

To a certain degree, except it's not 5 hours long.

I find the color palette to be just fine. The desert canyons are beautifully rendered. Hell, the fact that the game even has canyons is a huge plus, Red Dead didn't h ave nearly as much detail. Borderloands or Fallout didn't have anywhere near the visual appeal that Rage has as well.

Borderlands:

Rage:

Oh and stop comparing the games, saying it's copying anything. Fallout was largely inspired by Mad Max and the 30s-50s view of a post apocalyptic future. Borderlands is guilty of the same thing. Rage seems to take after Mad Max the most. Plus the car combat looks freakin' sick in RAGE.

It looks like what Borderlands should have been. Or if Borderlands and Fallout 3 fornicated and made a baby.

Needless to say, people are going to have something to say about 'originality' so this BETTER do something AMAZING to set itself apart from the games it looks pretty much the same as.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here