Escape to the Movies: Thor

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Thor

The Norse god of thunder hammers on to the big screen.

Watch Video

Don't you mean 2011? You said 2001...

EDIT: Liked the review, definitely going to see that.
Also, I'll be honest. I stayed through the credits expecting a bonus scene...

No surprises in this vid. Anything comic related=good

Anything that is modern video game related=bad

Got it. I'll see it next week...

And stay through the credits. *sigh*

I hate all this post-credits bullshit. I know they want us to see all the people who made it. But am I really going to care about, yet alone remember, anyone outside the producer/directer/cast? NO. Stop trying to entice me to sit through credits.

I basically totally disagree with Bob's stances on games, but I've come to share his tastes in film. Despite still not watching too many...

Good review pretty much 100% agree, very much my top action film so far this year, a real blast to enjoy with some good laughs.

This film looks absolutely Marvelous
I liked the reference at the end Bob, you really nailed it.

Ok, there were actually kind of 2 character teasers: there's the one who spoke: whom most of us know who he is

, and there is the "big guy" in the shadows, to which Thor said "Big man, fought Bigger". I have no idea who that was, personal preference: Punisher, maybe?

Incidentally: the guy that played Punisher in the last movie, "War Zone" played Volstagg in this movie.

Godd review. :) I went to see this on Monday and really enjoyed it so now I'm going to watch Iron Man, Hulk and Iron Man 2 then go and see Captain America. I really like these films now!

I really enjoyed Thor, although I don't know what I missed in the value :/

Oh goodie, it doesn't suck! I thought of it as a 50/50 chance, so that's just dandy. I will make sure to watch this then, and I will most likely enjoy it. I do wonder how it'll be received here in Sweden though...

ArBeater:
No surprises in this vid. Anything comic related=good

Anything that is modern video game related=bad

Not exactly he called the Prince of Persia movie the first good video game movie, but yet again he said the the POP games didn't seem too "Gamish" to him.

OT: I did like the movie, however it's far from the best Superhero movie and it's not even as good as spider-man in my personal opinion.

I'm apprehensive; I still think the Avengers is a bad idea and almost comes off as Marvel not getting that you can't do movies like comics even IF said movies are comic adaptations. Iron Man 2 suffered because of Marvel's pet project and I can't help like all their other films are going to suffer too.

Great! Now we need Liam Neeson and Anthony Hopkins to do battle in Zeus versus Odin.

That would be epic!

Had so much fun with this movie last night that I can't not recommend this to anyone. It's funny, charming, adventurous, and most importantly, epic, when dealing with Thor. Finally Bob had a point in saying this was Marvel's biggest gambit and damn does it pay off.

Also Idris Elba was so damn good in the role that I'm hoping he gets a bigger role in Thor 2. I'm not saying the Avengers, because one other Asgardian besides Thor is going to play a role in that film...

Really, these 4 movies were released in 2001? I can't believe I missed out... :-)

I have to completely disagree with Bob on this one. I found every single scene on earth to be tonally at odds with everything going on in Asgard. The dissonence was such that I seriously wanted them to abandon the earth realm all together. The romance was dull and undetailed, and the larger-universe building was just as hamfisted and unnecessary as ever.
This could have been a really good movie, but in the name of fitting it in to the larger Avengers narrative, they severely hobbled this film.
This movie had no point but to introduce Thor, and it deserved a lot more than that.

Beaten to the punch again!

HankMan:

Your puns are making my eyes THOR.

Screw this, I gotta bolt.

Glad that you pointed out Brannaugh's role in making this movie, Bob. He's one of my all-time favorite actors and directors (Dead Again and Much Ado About Nothing are two of my favorite movies).

Really, really been looking forward to this: The Mighty Thor was the only comic book I collected as a kid. Glad to hear they didn't botch it.

Hmmm... I may have to skip out of work early and catch a matinée.

Don't feel too bad about not knowing what year it is, I say 0-10, 0-11
Also, Who is that robot guy that looks like he could be Nimrod from X-men? I never read Thor comics, but now that I look at it, Nimrod sounds like an ancient bad guy name.

Oh thank heaven. Or Asgard. Whatever. Every time I saw a poster or trailer or promo for this movie, my mind would start up with a mantra of "please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck..." Bob, you have yet to steer me wrong with movies, so I will most certainly go see this. I would have gone to see it anyway, but now I get to go see it without my mantra of apprehension weighing me down :)

I watched it last night and thought it was pretty alright, I'd give it a B, B+... which is better than my wife apparently. She thought it was a completely average film, awarding it a C by the end of the night.

I stayed through the credits, but since I don't know much about the marvel universe (thank the gods) I could have just as easily gotten up and peed earlier. If anyone could explain to me via PM as to not spoil, I'd be appreciative.

I think my major complaint is that half the movie was predictable... and it didn't seem very dramatic. I'm not entirely sure what it was, but the plot didn't really seem all that threatening or important.

I loved the space visuals though.

Mediocrity at best. Not surprised MovieBob recommends it (how many comic book movies has he NOT recommended?) Transformers and.. Transformers 2?

mireko:

HankMan:

Your puns are making my eyes THOR.

Screw this, I gotta bolt.

Sorry, I'll try to keep them more Lo ki from now on.

I was almost sure that I was not gone see this movie, but I might have to rethink that.

Antwerp Caveman:
Ok, there were actually kind of 2 character teasers: there's the one who spoke: whom most of us know who he is

, and there is the "big guy" in the shadows, to which Thor said "Big man, fought Bigger". I have no idea who that was, personal preference: Punisher, maybe?

Um I've never heard of the Punisher working with anyone ever in an official government capacity,Plus that guy appeared to be black to me(Note:With what happened to Heimdall[Not that it's an issue for me one way or another.] I guess it could still be Punisher baring the lack of guns.)making me think if he was anyone in particular he could of been Luke Cage before Cage got his powers since they bothered to mask his identity with shadows(when he isn't a ninja) and he got beat by a mortal Thor without Asgardian strength but I wasn't sure if he was meant to be a known Marvel or just a real tough S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

Um I missed the big reveal at the end. Anyone care to enlighten me?

it's so much more fun to hear bob say something substantial about a movie than hearing him whine about his teenage years

Well it looks like movie bob had to stop
*puts on sunglasses*
because its Hammer time

Watched this on Wednesday. Really enjoyed.

There is one thing in particular I observed in this that Iron Man 2 and Hulk did not have. The character evolved for the better. Don't get me wrong, it's not that Iron Man 2 or Hulk did something wrong, just that it was refreshing to see a character get built up rather then dismantled.

Just to clarify: In Iron Man 2, Tony is dealing with so many things ranging from the publicity of being Iron Man, down to his own personal failings. This degrades the character over time.

In the hulk, Bruce is constantly on the run, and just when he thinks he has found away to rid himself of the hulk, he has to make a sacrifice and remain on the run again.

In Thor, however, Thor actually starts off as a somewhat repugnant personality, but through his punishment he atones for his brashness and matures as a character, leading to a much more positive flow to the characters development.

And yeah, let's hope Cap. America lives up to the other avengers début.

I wounder how long does it take for thor to get his hammer in the movie?

Also, I still think this would have made a much more amusing thor movie.

I watched it, but didn't find it that good. It was okay, I'd say. But maybe I'm just used to the "deeper, darker" stuff these days. Also, i really don't like 3D, so that kinda ruined it a bit.
And too bad i didn't stay after the credits. I wonder what it showed...

I've got a question but i'll put it in a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet

I will fully admit, i was getting giddy in my seat from all the positive feedback you're giving the movie.

And also, if that's what the sequel will be (and lets hope so) I want to see a Throg cameo. Even if it's in a kids cartoon. Because a frog wielding a miniature mythical hammer while speaking old english is just awesome.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here