Escape to the Movies: Thor

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Draconalis:
Also, I still think this would have made a much more amusing thor movie.

Deadpool makes EVERYTHING better. Dammit, why haven't they made HIS movie yet?

Definitely going to see this movie even though I never read the comics.

Also, I've heard a lot of people (aside from the just plain racist arguments) say that the only reason that Idris Elba is in this is just so they could make a 'pan racial super hero movie', my response to this is...

Have any of you seen Luther, or The Wire?
If you had you would know that this man is a FUCKING BOSS!

I'll go to this just to see Kat Dennings.

That woman is just... too hot for words.

Yeah, seen it, and what you said rings true.

The movie maybe could have benefited from a little longer running time to expand on a few characters, but with the slightly simple plot line it might have run on too long. It was a difficult balance to make and Branagh did strike a brilliant balance for the epic fantasy.

As for the Avengers, as you said, Iron Man, good, Hulk, good, Thor, good and thesibly working within the established Universe with some of the magic is just science we don't get yet stuff. If anything, now Cap seems to be the bigger risk now.

Draconalis:
I watched it last night and thought it was pretty alright, I'd give it a B, B+... which is better than my wife apparently. She thought it was a completely average film, awarding it a C by the end of the night.

I stayed through the credits, but since I don't know much about the marvel universe (thank the gods) I could have just as easily gotten up and peed earlier. If anyone could explain to me via PM as to not spoil, I'd be appreciative.

I think my major complaint is that half the movie was predictable... and it didn't seem very dramatic. I'm not entirely sure what it was, but the plot didn't really seem all that threatening or important.

I loved the space visuals though.

And yeah that's kinda been the set-up for all the Avenger heroes movies to a degree they can't all save the world by their self and then expect to work together to save the world if they just did that last week solo.

I'm guessing the guy with the bow is the hinted at future SHEILD agent?

Futurenerd:
Don't you mean 2011? You said 2001...

EDIT: Liked the review, definitely going to see that.
Also, I'll be honest. I stayed through the credits expecting a bonus scene...

I rewound that like 3 times to make sure I wasn't hearing things - sure enough...apparently it's 2001.

Antwerp Caveman:
... there is the "big guy" in the shadows, to which Thor said "Big man, fought Bigger". I have no idea who that was, personal preference: Punisher, maybe?

Incidentally: the guy that played Punisher in the last movie, "War Zone" played Volstagg in this movie.

Pretty sure he was just a big guy, though your Punisher remark is probably the most thesible guess I've heard, as Marvel did recently regain the rights to The Punisher.

As i have not seen the movie yet, I still feel thorn on that a black guy (have not laid his name on my mind yet) plays Hemidal. It's just bug me as i'm huge fan of Norse mytholigy (I'm form Sweden). I will see it and pass my own judgment. Also don't throw the rascist card at me please :-).

gibboss28:
I've got a question but i'll put it in a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet

Jeremy Renner.

I'll be going to see this, thanks for the review bob.

Disregard. Double post

Gabanuka:
Um I missed the big reveal at the end. Anyone care to enlighten me?

[spoiler]

Agent Larkin:
I'm guessing the guy with the bow is the hinted at future SHEILD agent?

jboking:

gibboss28:
I've got a question but i'll put it in a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet

Jeremy Renner.

I'll be going to see this, thanks for the review bob.

Cheers.
Yeah its well worth seeing, action wise there's not that much but I've got a feeling that it'll be all action when the avengers pulls up a seat. Which is A-OK with me.

Also I'm going to link this comic because its suitable.

Literally, LOL.

"It's a story about a guy who was a jerk and has to learn his lesson before he can have his hammer back so he can fight monsters."

Got me there, Bob. Now my coworkers all caught me watching videos at work. And they think I'm crazy.

Lucane:

Draconalis:
I watched it last night and thought it was pretty alright, I'd give it a B, B+... which is better than my wife apparently. She thought it was a completely average film, awarding it a C by the end of the night.

I stayed through the credits, but since I don't know much about the marvel universe (thank the gods) I could have just as easily gotten up and peed earlier. If anyone could explain to me via PM as to not spoil, I'd be appreciative.

I think my major complaint is that half the movie was predictable... and it didn't seem very dramatic. I'm not entirely sure what it was, but the plot didn't really seem all that threatening or important.

I loved the space visuals though.

And yeah that's kinda been the set-up for all the Avenger heroes movies to a degree they can't all save the world by their self and then expect to work together to save the world if they just did that last week solo.

also potentially for a game changing twist in that

Its a bit of a sausage fest.

MacNille:
As i have not seen the movie yet, I still feel thorn on that a black guy (have not laid his name on my mind yet) plays Hemidal. It's just bug me as i'm huge fan of Norse mytholigy (I'm form Sweden). I will see it and pass my own judgment. Also don't throw the rascist card at me please :-).

Too late!

Take that!!!

Awesome. Proof that a movie doesn't need to be dark, gritty, and full of f*** words to be good.

Really great movie, much lighter than I expected but none the worse for it. They wrote Loki really well, even though it was easy to see his betrayal coming, what with Lokis usual place in Norse mythology, it was pretty cool about how everything he did seemed so reasonable for a good chunk of the movie.

MiracleOfSound:
I'll go to this just to see Kat Dennings.

That woman is just... too hot for words.

Oh, there's plenty words for it. Just not words that can be used on a website as classy as this. Hot damn...

MovieBob:
Thor

The Norse god of thunder hammers on to the big screen.

Watch Video

I'm thrilled to hear this, I really am.

1. They're willing to utilize different tones in the individual pieces, making sure that each character is established in his/her own voice. That alone makes it a promising endeavor.

2. They're improving each time, despite working with completely different casts and crews. That means there really may be a central, unifying vision behind it.

3. I think they've got the pacing of the releases just right. It's building momentum, but giving time between for viewers to clear their collective palette.

4. Say what you will about Joss Whedon, but the man knows how to handle ensembles. His treatment of characters is usually spot-on. You get a real sense of authentic identity without having to be beaten over the head with expository characterization.

5. Do I even need to say it? Boxed set. When it's all done, they need to make this happen.

So wait... the item in question... according to Wiki, is related to a certain someone... and another certain someone in love with deadpool?!

DEADPOOL MOVIE! COME ON!

Deadpool could totally be worked into this story!

ArBeater:
No surprises in this vid. Anything comic related=good

Anything that is modern video game related=bad

Although Anything Comic realted HAS been good since Batman Begins. And Thor was brilliant.

You have a talent for making lower-echelon mediocrity sound good ;)

Most of everything in the movie is a bit of a mess, but never enough to make you hate it by the end. That's all the credit I'll give it.

Sometimes I wish I was much younger when I go and see films like this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but I just miss being that 8 year-old kid seeing all those awesome Huns charge down on the mountainside in Mulan or waiting with baited breath to see if Buzz and Woody can make it into Pizza Planet disguised in a carton and a burger box. *sigh* But yeah, Thor was fun.

On another note:
Flash! aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

mireko:

HankMan:
This film looks absolutely Marvelous
I liked the reference at the end Bob, you really nailed it.

Your puns are making my eyes THOR.

Screw this, I gotta bolt.

You should both be taught a lesson for that. *pulls out cane*

Now stretch your hands out.

OT: This was a great review, probably one of Bob's best, mainly because it cannot incite a flame-war.

On a side note, I gotta say I didn't think that this movie would do well considering how over-the-top it seems. But it looks like most reviews are positive so far - so I'm definitely checking it out.

Onyx Oblivion:
I basically totally disagree with Bob's stances on games, but I've come to share his tastes in film. Despite still not watching too many...

I don't think anyone on Earth except Shigeru Miyamoto fully agrees with MovieBob's videogame taste.

Also; You too Onyx? (regarding your avatar)

OT: I'll see the movie....sometime....

Going tonight!

There was something about the film that made me think of the Chris Reeves Superman films (In a good way). I really enjoyed it and the dynamic between Jane Foster (Portman) and Thor was excellent, it felt like a "relationship" film that had superheros in.

I got to see this early last week. My mind=blown
Surprise cameo? AWESOME!!
Post-credits scene? NERDGASM!!!

Speaking of getting better at a lot of things, I really feel like Bob did a lot better at holding back his comic nerd powers in this review. He loves talking about comics, but I feel like he restrained this a lot better than usual to talk about the movie. This had the added effect of making me want to see this more than I expected. That, and just about anytime I hear "Unlike anything you've seen in a while" is a time I get interested.

Lastly, I have to admit, at this point are you really still all that worried Captain America is going to suck? From everything so far, including this review, it's only getting better. Now of course, directors, actors, so on, everything seems to be different per movie, but I think that there have to be some people who have the ability to keep things consistent in quality, right?

In any case, the review made me a bit more interested, and in the end, that's all that matters.

Oh my Norse god, I can't WAIT to see this!

i think what bob meant by teasers for the avengers movie were:

Why I would really like a movie that was more true to the Norse mythology, which is pretty awesome without getting comiced up, I must say the Gods at least seems to act the way they should.

However, there is something wrong when Heimdal looks more badass than Thor, just saying.

MacNille:

The thing is most of what the Marvel Thor comic is based on was completely made up by Stan Lee. Any variation of saying they should be true to the original is lame because Stan The Man just went with whatever he thought would be a cool story. This comic sums it up nicely.
http://satwcomic.com/nordic-halloween

OT: I'm not surprised that someone who would call that flaming pile of shit "Smokin' Aces" good would say the same about this mess. Thor is probably going to go down as my biggest cinematic disappointment of the year. The leaden dialogue. The headache inducing rapid-cut action. Anthony Hopkins phoned in performance. The more I watched the worse I felt. This movie was boring to the extreme. Yes, Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston made what they were given work well, but not enough the pull the flick out of the fire. The Midgard portion was moronic and seemed totally unbelievable. In fact that is my biggest problem with the film. None of it felt authentic. They did a terrible job setting up a world and making me care about the characters in it. There was no fun because everything felt forced. I thought something with J. Michael Straczynski's named attached would have been much better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here