Escape to the Movies: Thor

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Thor was the one pre-Avengers movie I was worried wouldn't work. A combination of not being all that well known amongst non-comic geeks and being fairly impossible to do in the seemingly obligatory "gritty realism" that they seem to be gunning for these days, I was fairly sure it would be pretty lukewarm.

That said I fucking loved it and have no doubt that Captain America and The Avengers will be phenomenal. Then all Marvel have to do is wrestle the rights to X-Men back from 20th Century Fox and get cracking on a Civil War movie.

Lucane:

Antwerp Caveman:
Ok, there were actually kind of 2 character teasers: there's the one who spoke: whom most of us know who he is

, and there is the "big guy" in the shadows, to which Thor said "Big man, fought Bigger". I have no idea who that was, personal preference: Punisher, maybe?

Um I've never heard of the Punisher working with anyone ever in an official government capacity,Plus that guy appeared to be black to me(Note:With what happened to Heimdall[Not that it's an issue for me one way or another.] I guess it could still be Punisher baring the lack of guns.)making me think if he was anyone in particular he could of been Luke Cage before Cage got his powers since they bothered to mask his identity with shadows(when he isn't a ninja) and he got beat by a mortal Thor without Asgardian strength but I wasn't sure if he was meant to be a known Marvel or just a real tough S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

It's basically wishfull thinking, but in the Punisher Max Comics by Garth Ennis, Fury sends Frank Castle on a few assignments. They're awesome comics. But I say that as an Ennis fanboy.

I noticed that 3D took away from the movie though... so there's that.

Nat Portman was kind of annoying but they managed to make the romance a tiny bit believable.

Well, the review sounds like what I was expecting. They basically took a giant dump all over the comic book character and any sense of continuity from the basic concept onward, but managed to turn out a decent movie based around what they wanted to do.

The end result being that they can do the whole "Avengers" movie thing, but will still have the abillity to the character right at a later date, as fodder for a reboot.

When I say a "giant dump" it's pretty much because they have the entire basic character almost laughably wrong. It's sort of like deciding to ignore the whole bit about Iron Man's heart, or Spider Man being bitten by a radioactive spider, or whatever else. To be fair, in most cases they have at least gotten the origin story right, and captured the essence of the character. In the case of "Thor", it's important to note that Thor was not initially cast down in this fashion, and instead the story begins with a guy named Donald Blake finding the hammer during a dig, and using the hammer to transform into Thor. Now Thor *DOES* wind up getting into some stuff with Odin and being cast down, but thats much later occurances. What's more Thor being a spirit that inhabits bodies is a key element of the comic book mythology and something that is brought to the forefront of some of the story arcs.

This is an issue because it means that anyone going to see the Thor movie, is ultimatly going to have the wrong idea about Thor as a concept. Where you can see a lot of the other movies and say "okay, well they got the basics right" here they seem to have gotten the basics wrong and then just gotten more out of control from there.

The whole bit with the black actor is annoying (and truthfully I've seen spoilers of some of his themes, plenty of actors could have pulled it off) but just pretty much cements this as developers who aren't even trying to take their source material seriously.

That said, I don't doubt it's a good movie, but will this be a worthy cinematic treatment of Thor and the property as a whole? No it won't, and it seems like Bob has kind of danced aroudn that when th ebest he can talk about is the visuals coming close to some of what was produced through Jack "King" Kirby's work. No comic book movie is going to perfectly get all the details of a comic book character right, due to the differance sin storytelling, but when they don't even get the origin story and nature of the character right, that's usually not a good sign... still, maybe in 10-12 years the movie's (hopeful) success will motivate people to try again in doing the character properly.

Right now this is similar to saying "Spider Man is an Alien from another planet" or "Batman gained powers from cosmic radiation!" or something similar.

I came, I saw, I enjoyed. The 3d sucked though, so I can't wait for the DVD so I can watch it properly.

so glad i finally picked up some contacts and can finally just enjoy the 3D movie (there isn't a 2D version at my theater but for only $8 i'm not complaining) and not have to adjust my specs all movie long!

Beta Ray Bill eh?
Work him into the movies and I'll be impressed.
I remember being befuddled when I saw him in Planet HULK.
Anorexic-horse-headed-Thor?...

Having just gotten back from seeing Thor, i can say that i agree on pretty much everything Moviebob said.

Natalie Portman didn't get much to do, but she did what she did well. It's not the movies fault that she's been used better in other movies.
As with pretty much all the superhero movies, the climax isn't as good as the rest of the movie, but it's definatly better than Iron Man 1's climax.
Thor, Loke, Heimdal and Odin were all absolutely awesome. You kinda wish you'd seen more of Loke and Heimdal(and Odin)'s power, but I take what i get.
3D is good for what it is, but i can't recommend anyone seeing it in 3D.

Now that all is said an done, i still retain my birthgiven right to bitch about the depiction of my ancestral deities. what a mockery of the gods my ancestors and my culture(to a degree) worship. The movie makes some flaws in the way it represents the characters.
- Heimdal isn't the biggest pussy of the nine realms
- Thor isn't a red haried(and bearded) crossdresser
- Odin isn't an old pervert who gambles... alot
- Loke doesn't put on animal skins nor does he gets bullied by the gods.

I am so dissapointed in you marvel...
Ps. it was just a bad joke to represent how Scandinavians remember our old gods

One thing I wish people would honestly do is look at the movies like a branching continuity or something similar.

The movies don't have to be 100% accurate to the comics, they are appealing to a different potential fan-base, they have to make it accessible to people people interested in checking it out.
I know the comic lore and have read a lot of it. As long as they stay 'close enough' I'm happy, but I will be the first to admit, if they made the movies 100% like the comics, I would say the movies are absolute crap and not be interested. You have to adapt to make the stories work in movies, but you can't modify things too far or it just doesn't work.
I'm really in favour of the level that they've stuck to.

Wait a minute now. A romantic pairing between a plain Jane and a hot guy with super powers?! So, they've turned Thor, one of the quintessential American comic books, into every anime ever? Boo!
MovieBob, you shouldn't be encouraging this travesty, you ought to be boycotting it...no, that's not severe enough. You need to Man-cott it, no, Super Man-cott this garbage.

You shouldn't stop at getting every one on Earth not to buy a ticket. You should send messages to life on other planets to avoid it. You should clone yourself then get every duplicate to swear off on seeing the movie to make up for the mistake made by the original in seeing it, even for review purposes. Let's not even get started on Black Balder...because that would be taking this joke too far.

For those of us who haven't stepped foot in a theater since a minute after Avatar's enhanced re-release was announced or those who are looking for something else to do with their free time while the PSN is down, this might be a good excuse as any to throw money in the general direction of Hollywood.

Do they still sell film tickets on paper or do they sell re-usable, eco-friendly and economical ticket tab cards?

Beta Ray Bill in the sequel would be pretty cool.

Know what I want to see though? Cosmic Marvel movie.

gibboss28:
I've got a question but i'll put it in a spoiler for those who haven't seen the film yet

its the soldier guy from 28 weeks later

If anyone was wondering about the image bob posted at the end with the word "sequel?" here
http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/b/betaraythor.htm

Also, I feel that was the weakest of Marvels new continuity films.

Gabanuka:
Um I missed the big reveal at the end. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Btw, what WAS ion Odin's armory? I saw the

but the first two kind moved by quickly...

They would definitely go for Thunderstrike over Beta Ray Bill. Thank goodness you liked this cuz I was starting to think you hated the world and all things in it.

I want to watch it so BAD, since it's so GOOD !!

Therumancer:
In the case of "Thor", it's important to note that Thor was not initially cast down in this fashion, and instead the story begins with a guy named Donald Blake finding the hammer during a dig, and using the hammer to transform into Thor.

Actually, current Thor cannon is more or less the movie. Thor is pissed at the humans for eating his horse and goes on a rampage. Odin gets pissed, puts on Destroyer armor and beats his ass, takes his power and casts him down to Earth to live as a powerless human. Lame leg to teach humility, doctor to teach compassion. He doesn't remember anything, but his soul keeps travelling from mortal to mortal until he reaches Donald Blake, grabs the hammer, and the rest you know...

The only two complaints I had about the movie were:

1) Happened to quickly. Whole movie takes place over two days. Coulda time lapsed it to a month or so.

2) Biggest action sequence at the beginning. Woulda been nice to have another big one at the end.

Still pretty awesome.

Awesome, I was forced to wait till my girlfriend could come along, and now I can't wait more than ever. I have seen the basic ho hum comments about the movie not being good, and I know Bob is kinda hard on movies. I don't always agree with the guy, but I do trust his opinions on stuff like this. Grrr, tomorrow can't come fast enough. Thanks for letting me know the big screen didn't ruin one of my top 3 favorite Marvel characters. Now if only we could get a good Silver Surfer interpretation.

I saw it before the review! :D

it was good, and the whole kawkguy scene was pretty sneaky.

thorthorthorthor! I need to see it! Now! I don't know why, but I haven't been this giddy about a movie for years. I feel ike a kid again.

Beta Ray Bill needs his own movie. Anyway, I saw it last night and agree on all point. Great movie. Fun time. Great casting. :D

Loved this movie so much, have seen it 2 times already.

Did not even notice that it was 2 hours long.

DearFilm:
I have to completely disagree with Bob on this one. I found every single scene on earth to be tonally at odds with everything going on in Asgard. The dissonence was such that I seriously wanted them to abandon the earth realm all together. The romance was dull and undetailed, and the larger-universe building was just as hamfisted and unnecessary as ever.
This could have been a really good movie, but in the name of fitting it in to the larger Avengers narrative, they severely hobbled this film.
This movie had no point but to introduce Thor, and it deserved a lot more than that.

The whole crux of Thor is that he's sent to Earth to learn humility, you can't do a Thor movie without this. As for "tonally at odds" well...it's Earth full of us mortal eejits, that's Asgard full of god like beings of course there going to be different, it's from this contrast that the humour and everything else comes from.

On that note (from every negative review I've seen) regarding the 'shoehorning' of Shield (the Avengers is never actually brought up) Shield in the MU deals with things above and beyond the norm', superhuman things. them NOT being in these films is like the fire brigade NOT being in Backdraft.

This movie exceeded my expectations. Casting acting and pacing of the movie were great.

Also Idris Elba did his part exceedingly well and all the complainers can either accept that or cry like the lil babies they are.

Hammertime...Bob, you beautiful dork...bless you sir

Antwerp Caveman:
Ok, there were actually kind of 2 character teasers: there's the one who spoke: whom most of us know who he is

, and there is the "big guy" in the shadows, to which Thor said "Big man, fought Bigger". I have no idea who that was, personal preference: Punisher, maybe?

Having not seen the movie yet, maybe a reference to Henry Pimm (Giant Man)? He's in Marvel's recent animated series anyway, so it wouldn't' be a surprise if he made his way into the movie franchise as well.

It looks really good, considering its trying to stay within the lines of the actual story. any one catch that origins of wolverine?. I didn't even go there, but i hear its baaad. Not to mention the last x men movie damn! lets hope this new one coming out is better!

Futurenerd:
Don't you mean 2011? You said 2001...

I thought I was hearing things wrong. Oh well, one minor little mistake in an otherwise great review.

Bob, That's the magic, keep the reviews like that coming!

The Philistine:

Having not seen the movie yet, maybe a reference to Henry Pimm (Giant Man)? He's in Marvel's recent animated series anyway, so it wouldn't' be a surprise if he made his way into the movie franchise as well.

I believe he was Referring to the Frost Giants.

Here here, to Kat Dennings being hot!

I need a HORSE!!

Antwerp Caveman:

Incidentally: the guy that played Punisher in the last movie, "War Zone" played Volstagg in this movie.

Wasn't that guy black? I'm not sure if it was really supposed to be a cameo, but my first thought was

I can't believe they are doing so well with the Avengers. Three ( 4 if you want to get technical ) hero movies all done very well
leading up to an all out no holding back epic story with all of them in it! Come on, Cap! Bring it on home!

would be pretty awesome if it was.

good review. but i do have to take issue with "Natalie Portman" and "refreshingly ordinary" being placed in the same sentence without a negative between them. Natalie Portman may be many things, but "ordinary" will never be one of them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here