The Beaver

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Beaver

MovieBob reviews Mel Gibson's return to the big screen.

Read Full Article

He talked about Lars and the Real Girl. That made me happy. I love that movie.

On topic... Why? Why won't Mel Gibson's career stay dead, damn it? And if it won't, why does it have to do this? Why can't it make "Braveheart 2: William Wallace vs. the Space-Ninjas."? I'd pay to see that.

Good thing you reminded me of this film. I planned a few weeks ago to see it, but i seem to have forgotten all about it.

I guess i should also be thankful that i don't care about Mel Gibson's personal life or personality in the slightest.

It's a shame I now re4fuse to pay money to see a film if I know any percentage of it is going to Mel Gibson, cos this looks alright.

Seriously Jodie: Why did it have to be a beaver?

You're saying this is worth a look, essentially letting Gibson off with his actions, despite stating the exact opposite during the whole Vick fiasco.

What the hell Bob?

During the post-production phase:

Studio Executive: Jody, I know you really wanted this documentary on Mel Gibson to go through, but no one is seriously going to believe that he's this insane, evidence or otherwise...

Jody Foster: Okay, how about I shoehorn a story about a guy's family and we make it look like a movie rather than it being Mel's intervention?

Studio Executive: I think we can do that. Make him a executive at a toy company, that sounds funny.

HankMan:
Seriously Jodie: Why did it have to be a beaver?

I believe it was because Pongo was taken... and Jewish...

I don't see the significance of Gibson's personal life when looking at any film he is in.

You can if you want but I personally don't see the reasoning for it. Because he's a antisemite he can't play a dude with a beaver for a hand in a small art film?

This is a free country. The moment you go around judging a man for his beliefs is the moment I stop caring about your opinion.

Let he without sin cast the first stone, etc.

Too bad it sounds like it's so interesting and something I would see, because I don't let my money go towards supporting Anti-Semites.

Ihniwid:
I don't see the significance of Gibson's personal life when looking at any film he is in.

You can if you want but I personally don't see the reasoning for it. Because he's a antisemite he can't play a dude with a beaver for a hand in a small art film?

This is a free country. The moment you go around judging a man for his beliefs is the moment I stop caring about your opinion.

It's significant to people like me who are Jews. So I guess our opinions and feelings don't count? Good to know.

So anyone want to take bets on when Gibson has his next "episode"? Seriously, it seems like everytime he makes a good/interesting movie recently he always follows it up with something horrible in real life. What is this, like his 4th "returns to the big screen" we've seen? That being said I'll probably go check this out, the premise sounds good and asshole or not Gibson can act pretty damn well

"Walter Black"

Did they have to pay him extra to take that surname?

I fully respect the idea of looking into little-seen places and making movies out of unusual and non-mainstream topics. There're too many clones and retreads. But what possible train of thought could lead anyone to think that *this* story was worth telling anyone, much less making an expensive commercial film out of it?

Ihniwid:

So you're saying that no matter how horrific a persons beliefs are, we shouldn't judge him because that's just what they believe? That seems, to put it mildly, a bit silly. Surely these are some of the main things someone should be judged on. I'm not going to say that Mel Gibson shouldn't be allowed to be in any films. I'm just saying that I won't pay to see them, because I don't want my money going to him.

I remember first seeing the trailer for this movie... I thought it was really REALLY strange. I'm not a big fan of dark comedy, and I'm not too keen on seeing this movie.

I normally try to separate an actor's personal life from their job, but I won't watch anything that puts a dime in that man's pocket.

I'll be giving it a miss. The 'Recut' trailer on Youtube is quite funny though.

Thats quite alright, I'll be skipping this movie, thank you.

Gibson has taken a very noticable decline that I will not be supporting while he continues to suffer from his bouts of the Crazies.

Abriel:
Too bad it sounds like it's so interesting and something I would see, because I don't let my money go towards supporting Anti-Semites.

Ihniwid:

It's significant to people like me who are Jews. So I guess our opinions and feelings don't count? Good to know.

Next time you're drunk, I'll come by and record everything you say and use that against you six years down the line, then I think we'll be about on the same level here.

As for all the other allegations, not that the media is writing about them anymore, since it's not selling as well, but 99% of the stuff Gibson was accused of was thrown out because the woman was, rightfully so, founded to have been tampering with evidence, lying and being all out a money grubbing wacko. While nobody isn't claiming that Gibson doesn't have issues, especially with alcohol, the public lynching of him and his persona is ridiculous.

SpiderJerusalem:

Abriel:

Ihniwid:

Next time you're drunk, I'll come by and record everything you say and use that against you six years down the line, then I think we'll be about on the same level here.

As for all the other allegations, not that the media is writing about them anymore, since it's not selling as well, but 99% of the stuff Gibson was accused of was thrown out because the woman was, rightfully so, founded to have been tampering with evidence, lying and being all out a money grubbing wacko. While nobody isn't claiming that Gibson doesn't have issues, especially with alcohol, the public lynching of him and his persona is ridiculous.

Alcohol doesn't make someone suddenly turn into an Anti-Semite. If anything I have discovered that in getting drunk a person's true colors tend to come out because that little filter in your brain which tells you not to say certain things gets whittled away with the more booze you guzzle.

It's fine if someone else wants to support him and people don't care. Just a poster asked "who cares if he's an Anti-Semite?" and I answered that I and other Jews care. If you want to see his movies, so be it...no one is stopping you. I personally however will not.

Abriel:

Ihniwid:

If you want to take offence against Mel Gibson for his past remarks you are free to do so. If you do not want to spend money on his films, again, you are free to do so.

Should he be allowed to make films? That is the question which I'm defending. I was not defending his position as an anti-semite, I was defending his position as an actor.

You can do as you want, but if it irks you I'd suggest asking yourself why a complete stranger's views bother you so much.

Still, the concept seems a bit out there for me, I'm sure it will end up being a mixed bag review-wise, but overall I may give it a look if I have an opportunity (or if I have nothing better to do). Anyway on the whole "Drunken rant" issue, I have to say that what he said was stupid, but at the same time he never acted on it, and when your drunk you tend to say stuff you regret, I'm sure if you met him face to face in a dry county he wouldn't behave like Eric Cartman from South Park, his career as a "Serious" actor has pretty much gone the way of the Hindenburg:

Ihniwid:

Abriel:

Ihniwid:

If you want to take offence against Mel Gibson for his past remarks you are free to do so. If you do not want to spend money on his films, again, you are free to do so.

Should he be allowed to make films? That is the question which I'm defending. I was not defending his position as an anti-semite, I was defending his position as an actor.

You can do as you want, but if it irks you I'd suggest asking yourself why a complete stranger's views bother you so much.

Nope, never once did I say he shouldn't be allowed to make films. Just that I won't personally support it.

As for why it bothers me, it wouldn't but he's a very public figure and I know it bothers plenty of other people. Anti-Semitism is also a very real problem that is still shamefully around and views like his are what led to things like the Holocaust.

But it's my beef. He can still make films and be an actor but people who don't want to support him shouldn't be crucified for refusing to do so. We have a right to our feelings and opinions just as he has a right to his.

Abriel:

SpiderJerusalem:

Abriel:

Alcohol doesn't make someone suddenly turn into an Anti-Semite. If anything I have discovered that in getting drunk a person's true colors tend to come out because that little filter in your brain which tells you not to say certain things gets whittled away with the more booze you guzzle.

It's fine if someone else wants to support him and people don't care. Just a poster asked "who cares if he's an Anti-Semite?" and I answered that I and other Jews care. If you want to see his movies, so be it...no one is stopping you. I personally however will not.

Alcohol can do a lot of things, especially if the person has a history of mental problems already. Nobody is saying Gibson is perfect, but labeling him an anti-semite over a drunken outburst a half a decade ago is a knee-jerk reaction to a non-issue that should have been blown over by the time he publicly apologized and was publicly forgiven by prominent Jewish members of his community.

SpiderJerusalem:
Alcohol can do a lot of things, especially if the person has a history of mental problems already. Nobody is saying Gibson is perfect, but labeling him an anti-semite over a drunken outburst a half a decade ago is a knee-jerk reaction to a non-issue that should have been blown over by the time he publicly apologized and was publicly forgiven by prom

More or less this, the whole media circus on this issue didn't help, when your drunk you do stupid shit, it's just that when a celebrity does stupid shit it makes the headlines!

Mel Gibson is one of my favorite actors so I will probably go see this. *Raises flame shield*

Well, that's the end of Mel Gibson's career.

Sorry, Bob, nothing anyone can say about this movie is able to make me want to see it or to even take it at all seriously. I don't care if a movie about Mel Gibson wearing a beaver puppet on his hand is about defense mechanisms or depression or whatever; it's still a movie about Mel Gibson wearing a goddamn beaver puppet on his hand.

It's too absurd for it's own good. None of the characters step up and say to his face how incredibly ill he is to do the whole puppet thing. I just thought the movie was really weird and therefore I wasn't engaged in the characters.

Abriel:

Ihniwid:

Abriel:

Nope, never once did I say he shouldn't be allowed to make films. Just that I won't personally support it.

As for why it bothers me, it wouldn't but he's a very public figure and I know it bothers plenty of other people. Anti-Semitism is also a very real problem that is still shamefully around and views like his are what led to things like the Holocaust.

But it's my beef. He can still make films and be an actor but people who don't want to support him shouldn't be crucified for refusing to do so. We have a right to our feelings and opinions just as he has a right to his.

I agree with you 100% :)

Why is the Escapist one of the best forums on the net? Because of conversations like this.

Guys, can we focus on Jodie Foster here?

I'm incredibly stoked she's back to make anothe rmovie, last one I saw of her's was way back in 2007...

sporkaganza:
Well, that's the end of Mel Gibson's career.

Sorry, Bob, nothing anyone can say about this movie is able to make me want to see it or to even take it at all seriously. I don't care if a movie about Mel Gibson wearing a beaver puppet on his hand is about defense mechanisms or depression or whatever; it's still a movie about Mel Gibson wearing a goddamn beaver puppet on his hand.

It's a movie. Relax. They make movies about lasers and giant robots and I bet you don't even bat an eye.

OT: I probably won't see it in theaters. Netflix however...

"The thing about directing is ... you get to have this piece of film that says 'this is what I love. This is what I believe in.'"

And what she loves is beaver.

Seriously, this movie sounds awesome.

From what I know about Mel Gibson, there's a pretty fuzzy area somewhere in that brain where 'being an anti-semite' and 'being completely fucking insane' are pretty hard to distinguish.

I'm not saying he should necessarily be forgiven, but the guy clearly has problems of his own.

Really, if I were to pick out people to play a character with serious mental health problems and a crumbling life, I'm not sure you could cast better.

Inglip:
You're saying this is worth a look, essentially letting Gibson off with his actions, despite stating the exact opposite during the whole Vick fiasco.

As far as I'm aware, Mel Gibson never tortured Jews and made them fight each other so he could reap the gambling profits.

The things he's said are disgusting and regrettable, but it's a different league.

So... is this image a screenshot from the movie Or is it just a Charlie Sheen type stunt by Mel Gibson that is now going to be used in a movie? This has been around for a while and it seems strange that if it was a movie screenshot that it would be in the public eye so quickly.

The Bieber

South Park said it best:

"Say what you want about Mel Gibson, but the son of a bitch knows story structure."

I don't really care about any celebrity's (athlete/actor/politician) personal life, as long as they're good at their job. And I personally believe Mel Gibson is one of the best actors/directors. People are so quick to forget their own personal lives are a mess when they criticize others for theirs.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here