Unskippable: Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper

Just keep asking yourself, "Does this seem remotely like a game I want in my house?" (The answer is no).

Watch Video

omg...that looks awful as a game.

what dreadful Londonian accents!
also some sh***y graphics for a 360 :/
awwww, I was hoping for Portal 2's intro :(

That looks awful as anything.

With all the awesome that Sherlock Holmes provides they make this.

It's just sad.

wow that game looks terrible. I'm pretty sure that this game's Holmes couldn't deduct his way out of a paper bag.

I remember playing the demo of the previous game "holmes vs Lupin", in which you must take on Arsine Lupin. Any enthusiasm for the game immediately dissapated when I worked out the missing thief was hiding in a rather obvious looking, giant, man-sized box by the front door. No matter what I pressed, Holmes would just remark "hmm, what an unusually large box...I wonder what's in it?"

There is a problem with your game if the greatest detective in the world cannot spot something I could that solves the entire mystery five minutes in.

The Game's afoot!

... with an ingrown toenail! >P

The Star was actually an 1880s paper which sensationalised the whitechapel killings,

I'm thinking this should be the next Unskippable Let's Play.

If you or one of the goons don't do it, I'll never know if they find Whitechapel.

Based on the best selling novel; 'Sherlock Holmes vs his smoking habit'

MatParker116:
The Star was actually an 1880s paper which sensationalised the whitechapel killings,

Still wrote to a far higher standard back then though. If only newspapers lacked photos.

God that is painful to watch. If anyone has played this game, tell me: do Sherlock Holmes and Jack The Ripper face off by talking very slowly at one another? With the camera taking the perspective of Holmes, then Jack, then Watson, then Bertrand the Camera Guy, then random passerby no. 7, then....because I think they would have to go all out with the tedium for the finale.

Also, Holmes passing up a fresh crime scene for the official police and coroner reports? Please.

What the shit did I just watch? Holmes needs Watson to get a map of London?!

Points for referencing Harold and Kumar during the credits, by the way.

It's incredible to me that someone actually spent money developing this game? It's like a point and click adventure I would have play about 15 years ago! Poor show all round except for the LLR guys, of course. Good find boys!

That's not even a game I want within a 5 mile radius of my house. What the hell were they thinking?

Aptspire:
awwww, I was hoping for Portal 2's intro :(

Well, your in for a disappointment, cause Paul and Graham only make fun of BAD cutscenes. Last I checked, Portal 2 is awesome in all regards, including cutscenes.

OT: Who is the developer of this game?! It looks terrible.

Ekonk:
With all the awesome that Sherlock Holmes provides they make this.

It's just sad.

Does anyone own the rights currently? IF not it's a cheap option.

loodmoney:
God that is painful to watch. If anyone has played this game, tell me: do Sherlock Holmes and Jack The Ripper face off by talking very slowly at one another? With the camera taking the perspective of Holmes, then Jack, then Watson, then Bertrand the Camera Guy, then random passerby no. 7, then....because I think they would have to go all out with the tedium for the finale.

Also, Holmes passing up a fresh crime scene for the official police and coroner reports? Please.

More importantly wouldn't they have gone to him first? I can't see the paper being the way Holmes finds out.

OT: The news here is middling to somewhat gloomy with intermittent showers of poorly recieved attempts at humour.

I think I'd rather watch Murder by Decree. Frankly it is one of the best Holmes movies out there. With Jack the Ripper.
This game seriously looks like coaster material.
I am kind of surprised you guys picked it out, as it seemed painful for you to even riff on. Like it might have been better to just put out of its misery. At three in the morning.

That was... just plain bad... great comments made though. I loved the one regarding the camera man being a dick.

bdcjacko:
omg...that looks awful as a game.

This ^

The game isn't as bad as the first cutscene (thank God). I've played it recently and it has actually some pretty good scary moments. It's an interesting look on the case.

It was mentioned in the clip about the camera angle, the player can choose between playing the game looking out of the eyes of the character or seeing the character they control. The only issue with seeing your character is that it likes to do what Silent Hill and Resident Evil did and it puts the camera in really awkward positions.

One of the things that drove me insane, was what the Unskippable guys also commented on...The violin. The music in the background in the cut scene, also plays every time you're in 221b...And that's a lot! It also repeats so by the end of the game I actually had to turn my speakers off.

Also they mentioned something about the script and SH canon, yeah the company tends to put sections that stray away from the canon in their games. There was a section in Sherlock Holmes:The Awakened where you're on a boat full of prostitutes and she's talking to Sherlock and flirting, he's completely unaware of this, and so the captain believes that Sherlock and Watson are a couple.

Thanks guys for doing this game, it has actually just made my day :)

@manythings Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain.

I told them they shouldn't be using the Piece Of Shit engine for that game, but does anyone listen to me? NO! All I said was to shell out the extra $20 to license the Kinda Crappy engine.

Yes I have this game....... I'll shut up now :L

Wow. Just... wow.

"Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper"
that does read like terrible fan fiction.
Also I thought Holmes smoked a pipe, not cigarettes.

Mydnyght:
What the shit did I just watch? Holmes needs Watson to get a map of London?!

Perhaps this explains it:

Entamrik:
Based on the best selling novel; 'Sherlock Holmes vs his smoking habit'

As Holmes' drug habit has got the best of him; Watson has to do all the work:

"Watson, I've become rather tired. Could you carry me to the crime scene?"

"My dear Watson, my eyes seem to not be working. They see things, but only in various shades of green. Would you kindly scan the ground for a footprint that matches the one we saw earlier?"

"Perhaps this is the opium talking, but my body is so large that it covers the entirity of London. If I could hold my breath for long enough, I'm sure I could sense the murderer from the comfort of my armchair. Help me find my armchair, Watson."

The page three girls are in The Sun, not The Star. I pity the poor guy who paws through the Star looking for topless women.

OT: Man, I love Sherlock Holmes, considered getting this game and didn't. I'm pretty glad now, that looked awful.

Gosh.. ugly..

Way to waste a bad ass title and cross over opportunity, game company.
Seriously though, title alone would draw me in.

I was sure it would've been released in 2005 or something.. but 2010?!?! It must've been hell of a game (excluding the cinematic) if it got 8/10 from IGN.

Erja_Perttu:
The page three girls are in The Sun, not The Star. I pity the poor guy who paws through the Star looking for topless women.

As someone with relatives who do read the Star, I can assure you the quantity does not disappoint. The quality perhaps, yes. But seeing as these guys are from some bizarro world where everyone looks horrible anyway..

Also, did anyone else raise an eyebrow when Holmes said he wanted to wait until nightfall to go to the famous 19th century red light district.. I bet he investigates better at night.

Never thought there'd be a game about Jack The Ripper.
I gotta say tho, that having something like that murder case in L.A Noire would be awesome.

I have to admit, the first thing I did when I finished watching this was to pull up a map on TFL to work out how to get from Baker Street to Whitechapel. Its actually quite a distance away, so probably would need either a damn good sense of direction or a map to navigate, especially since the roads in London are some of the most confusing I've had to navigate!

My favourite Unskippable in a while. The mistakes in this were unbelievable, why even state the time if you're going to pan past a clock?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here