Jimquisition: How Sony Can Make it Up To You

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

This was an overall better episode. Much less pointless ranting, more straightforward and to the point, though I could do with less "ummmm"'s. Your suggestions were silly, but made sense (at least the last one did. Those firmware updates do get quite annoying). Still would rather do without the bad MS Paint drawings, they're just stupid.

Overall, much better and has restored some of my interest in this series. Keep going and we'll see out it ends up.

But on the topic of Sony; I honestly don't care what they do so long as they beef up their security. I don't care if they gave us nothing, the things they've giving us are more collateral damage than anything, all I ask for is tighter security and making it safer to use their network.

You know what? Initially, I feel helpless when a show like this is still on. However, I have two words to brighten everyone's day: FUCKIN' CAPITALISM.

Everytime you watch this insipid fool's videos, The Escapist gets a heap of cash from advertisers. Putting on good programs attract more people; they get more money.
If I don't watch this pugnacious failure's average opinions, it's at least one person away from getting this crap off the air.
Whining about how much he sucks fucking ass won't do anything, not watching it will.

Verlander:

If people like it, that's great. If people don't, they should be allowed to say so. After all, isn't that what a democracy is about.

I never said they weren't, I was merely positing a theory not shouting anyone down O.o
Not sure why the hostility tbh :(

medievil 3 modern warfare... totally see it working :P

while i could care less about those 2 games i would buy a ps3 today if they made a new bard game and the firm ware updates piss me off on my psp it doesnt do anything against hackers but it does punish us normal customers

I have a fourth thing they could do to bring people back. Add the ability to play PS2 games.

Seriously, this needs to be done. When my original PS3 finally died, I lost this. I want it back.

yeah appealing to the like minded escapist crowd, after all different is bad.

Bring back PS3 Linux and backwards compatibility.

Also, set up an entire department with the express purpose of making them 'suck less'.

I'm loving this douchebag, he's awesome.

Now this was entertaining.

Oh my God. If they made MediEvil 3, I would go out and buy a PS3 (currently a PC and Xbox gamer). I love that series sooo much. One of my all time favourite games.
The Stained Glass Demon is still one of the coolest boss concepts ever.
Such a great series. Fantastic music. Brilliant cutscenes. Intriguing mythos. All round brilliant.
And Tomba was good too (not as good).

Oh god yes, I would love a new medievil game.

Okay, I liked the other two, kind of. This one was much better. I'll watch

I agree with Tomba! It was one of my favorite games of all time and I still have the ps1 disk of it, unfortunately it is scratched pretty badly I have tried many times to fix it but no luck.

So ya Tomba! is amazing and all would indeed be forgiven if they released it as a classic. Also if anyone knows of a miracle scratch cure send me a pm there are no deep scratches and it will start but it doesn't get past the opening sequence.

There's a lot of good games that everyone's forgotten....

I'd much better if they just let me download fucking portal 2 to my pc.
Seriously, THE VERY DAY I bought portal PSN gets hacked and now i can't do multiplayer until the end of may.

:/

I don't care what anyone says, this guy is awesome.

His drawing skills are superb, and I find him yelling about some valid points. However, the intromusic is arse IMO. make it less high pitched please :d.
Gonna watch this show now, it's mildly entertaining

I'm also still waiting for the download (if a software problem) or a peripheral (if a hardware problem) that allows us to play PS2 games on it. I don't care if I have to shell-out $100 for it, I'd still buy it. Just give me the option and I'll be happy. If they did something along these lines, all would be forgiven.

Jim, you got your studios mixed up again. SCE London made Eyepet. SCE Cambridge made PlayTV, LittleBigPlanet for the PsP, and the Killzone port for the NGP.

First line was golden. "The only way for Sony to get any worse press this season is do do a debut on the Escapist."

Wooop, largely positive comments for once!

I enjoyed it as always. Swapping out the MS paint stuff for game footage was a nice touch, it does a better job of breaking up the video. Better glasses, too :D

I've read a few comments from people asking for you to calm down/yell less/swear less - please don't. You've obviously toned yourself down a lot since your first episode, and I get that it needed to happen for people to stop complaining so much (sigh). More toning down might make you start to lose impact, though. It feels like you've struck a nice balance here; anyone still offended needs to either suck it up and meet the rest of us on this middle ground that you've created, or just stop watching.

The audio quality is still a bit lacking, particularly on the voiceovers for the game footage - that's literally my only criticism. Nice one, Jim!

I like this Jimqui-whatnot, keep it coming =3. I like the "all high and mighty" attitude!

Mad1Cow:
Either that or just give out fruit baskets...by which I mean baskets containing fruits, not that crap anime...[shudder]

Or heck, I'd settle for 3 strippers and a cake, I'm easy either way Sony...

Isn't it written Fruits Basket? In the anime I mean? I agree though, it's not very good... And why is it written that way? It's silly!

Stammer:
I'm also still waiting for the download (if a software problem) or a peripheral (if a hardware problem) that allows us to play PS2 games on it. I don't care if I have to shell-out $100 for it, I'd still buy it. Just give me the option and I'll be happy. If they did something along these lines, all would be forgiven.

I do not understand why this wasn't possible from the start... I mean, you could play PS games on the PS2, right? I seem to clearly remember playing my old Time Crisis copy on the PS2!

Better, but still bad. Why is he still here?!?

Vampire cat:

Mad1Cow:
Either that or just give out fruit baskets...by which I mean baskets containing fruits, not that crap anime...[shudder]

Or heck, I'd settle for 3 strippers and a cake, I'm easy either way Sony...

Isn't it written Fruits Basket? In the anime I mean? I agree though, it's not very good... And why is it written that way? It's silly!

I dunno, I had a friend who kept telling me to get into it because I expressed a liking for Bleach...let's just say we're not on speaking terms because of the matter...also there was not a free fruit basket with every episode so they should be sued for false advertisement...

First of all, that Pet thing game looks fucking awesome even if it is just kiddie-grade novelty crap.

Second, you might want a different color scheme from the Red & Black. You look like a Neo-Nazi or an apocalypse proclaiming cult leader. This has nothing to do with you personally or the quality of the videos. Just saying it's a bit weird.

I think this topic could really use a more serious discussion than, well, this. I'm seriously doubting that anyone is going to forgive Sony for returning to long-lost franchises, however beloved. The third suggestion is the only one that I can take seriously, and that's more as a discussion point than a literal "what does Sony need to do to undo the damage to its image" kind of thing; the fact that Sony has made several aggressive and customer-unfriendly moves recently contrasts with their failure to secure customer data in a really disturbing way. (To put it another way: we're willing to put up with a certain amount of Evil so long as it provides services and results that we like; when we realize that that Evil is served with a side of Incompetence, and that the combination is screwing us over from both ends to no tangible benefit, we're less forgiving.)

I feel like I want to like this series, but I just don't. The whole quasi-ironic self-depreciating "I'm so wonderful" business is neither making me laugh nor making me angry, it's just kind of making me wish the time spent on it was being used on something funny or interesting or useful.

"Top 5" is (was?) funny. "Extra Credits" is thoughtful (and often funny, but that's kind of a side-effect of having good writing and a talented artist.) "Jimquisition" feels like it's struggling to find its niche. I think the attitude needs to either be amped up to the point that it inspires something other than eye-rolling or dropped altogether for the sake of not obscuring (the audience) or distracting (the author) from the commentary.

Pros:
- Actual improvement in as such that he is talking about a topic that is relevant now, rather than one that is several months old.
- Dropped the vulgar drawing, big thumbs up.

Cons:
- Still barely chuckle worthy.
- While it is true that the psn firmware update are a pain and that everybody has their old classic game they'd like brought back... no real argument was made concerning the real topic. Which seems to be a trend here... Jim talk around the issue, not about the issue.

Yanno, the single issue I have with Jimquisition is that it looks like he's a Facsist Dictator speaking to his adoring public just before having a meeting with his generals about the genocide of non-gamers.

Mildly amusing to say the least, though the first sentence of the whole damn video was brilliant. You don't have my full respect yet, but you're on the right track.

Tradjus:
Yanno, the single issue I have with Jimquisition is that it looks like he's a Facsist Dictator speaking to his adoring public just before having a meeting with his generals about the genocide of non-gamers.

That flag is a reverse of the flag of Norsefire, the fascist regime from V for Vendetta.

hmmm, This was much better. You get serious points with me for Tomba and MediEvil. I have my eyes on you Jim.

ZeroDotZero:
I like this show, but it really needs to get a visual revamp. Alternating camera angles, better quality filming, etc.

Not sure if they would make everyone forgive Sony. Maybe a free PSN voucher would? Still, if Sony did them, I would forgive them (despite the fact that I do not care that PSN has been down for ages as I only play single player games on the PS3 mainly).

I find this answer MUCH simpler than any of Jim's ideas. I'd be fine with a $20 or $50 PSN voucher, so I can just get what I want, instead of some shitty month of PSN Plus where anything you download will be deleted at the end of the month if you don't keep paying their ridiculous fees anyway. It's like they were trying to use it as a hook, except that their fees are too outrageously prices anyway.

Come on Sony, just give us each $50 PSN vouchers. Oh, and bring out fucking SPYRO for EUROPE/AUSTRALIA!!

Hafnium:

Assassin Xaero:
The Medievil 3 thing would be nice, because I was just about to go buy the old one on PSN when it was brought down. But that is just my opinion. They don't really owe us anything, and if anyone does, it is the prick hackers that took it down.

Any company that holds so much information on you, owes you to protect it. I don't own a console at the moment, but if my personal data was stolen, I'd expect apologies and stuff of actual value..

Good video btw, pretty funny lines (I know some people can't stand him, I think he's alright).

Thing is, if someone really wants it, they will get it. And expecting some free games seems like a greedy way to handle the "shit happens" situation. They did tell you that the information may have been taken before they were sure if it was or not.

So both the last episodes were kinda shit, but this was pretty good!

I actually laughed when you said "we save lives".

Laughed

I didn't laugh at any other point, or really even smile, but it's still a very good sign. I also managed to watch the video for 4 minutes this time, and the content was actually about something that hasn't really been discussed (or at least not a whole lot).

There is still no lead up, which looks (and sounds) really, really bad. You just kind of jump into the discussion. Despite what you may have heard, you can't do that. Also still super boring to watch you lecture me (and I'm not Sony) without any sort of movement besides hand gestures. I did notice that you tried to cover this up with a shitload of video clips. While this can certainly work, you should NOT be using it for 2/3 of the show. Also, repeating the same clip multiple times looks extremely bad.

Finally, cut down on the plugs. While it can be amusing at times (you'll recall that I laughed at one), it can be annoying if you do it too much, and very irritating if you do it badly, which you did several times. There are more important things you could be saying during the times you are putting your own show on a pedestal. I'm not sure if you're using them ironically or not (i sure as hell hope so), but you should still keep them to a minimum.

I don't know if you actually read any of these comments, or are able to comb through to the ones with actual critique, but if you continue to improve like you did this episode, you may be able to make this into a good show.

erbkaiser:
Okay Jim, this one was much better. I will give this series a chance after all. Hope the fourth one continues like this one -- not the previous two.

Less atrocious ranting, audio was more clear, and video looked better*.
The calmer speaking helped a lot as well.

Doesn't hurt that you have me agreeing with you either! Especially the endless updates...

*At least in the high quality version, the video is sandboxed with black bars on all sides.
//Edit: only the HQ version apparently so this is probably not your fault.

Quoted for truth,

You were clearer, calmer and got the point across a lot more cleanly. I also liked the dig at the only way sony could be more unpopular would be to debut a series on the escapist. A bit of good natured cheek never hurt anyone.

Its quality over quantity, and carefully constructed digs are more fun to listen to than fast paced broad swipes.

The presentation also looks better with the podium and the backdrop, but since its your 'person' as opposed to graphics (ie movie bob, zero punctuation, extra credits etc. ) id actually zoom in on your face a little more (especially when you emphasize a point...) backdrop and angle is nice, but the eye these days is so very used to constant switching camera angles in TV and film that a fixated camera shot on the same person for 4 mins visually gets boring to look at regardless of the content.

Apart from that, im happy to see your series improve even over the space of three episodes, and i look forwrad to next weeks episode.

Still think it would be a better show if Jim had someone to talk to. I don't care if its a puppy or even a potted fern. Actually I would love this show if it was a guy yelling at a fern.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here