The Big Picture: Skin Deep

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 24 NEXT

My god.... They got Bob too.....

WHERE DOES IT END????

OT: Very nice. I don't often agree with you Bob, but you are dead on this time. Plus, he was by far the most awesome character in that movie.

Father Time:

JDKJ:

Father Time:

Affirmative Action is a bad idea. It's basically arguing the ends justifying evil means.

If I was among the group that benefited from the suffering of others, I probably wouldn't be in any rush to upset the status quo, either. If it ain't broken for you, why would you wanna fix it?

Because if I don't like Affirmative Action than that means I must oppose any all attempts to benefit minorities.

Flawless logic you got there [/sarcasm]

Who said anything about anything other than affirmative action?

great as always Bob, your best videos are always the ones with a strong message that don't poke around the corners and just get to the point.

Also, please make a Samurai Pizza Cats episode that would be great :D

Oh, good God, the Ponies got Bob, too. 4 pictures of them, too!

I personally agree with Bob all the way on this one. Double standards aren't the best thing to fall into, but hey, this world IS s**t. No questions asked.

joebear15:

JDKJ:

DUKENUK3M:
I was born after slavery, Jim Crow, etc and I reject the idea that I owe some sort of historical debt.

If you're white and American, then you benefit from that history of slavery, Jim Crow, etc. Why shouldn't you owe a debt? You're benefiting at the expense of others.

that may be but i choose as a person to owe nothing as I feel no responsibility for what happened to your ancestors whom I am almost positive probably did bad things to someones ancestors somewhere down the line.

You can always choose to not acknowledge the debt. That doesn't mean you don't owe the debt.

Bob....I am so disappoint.

For oh so, so many reasons.

1) White people didn't invent slavery, and if you travel back far enough, you'll find a lot of Caucasians were slaves to some other race or another at some point in history too, along with any other race you can think of, for fucks sake, some African tribes actively enslaved other weaker tribes before we even landed there.

You seem to think that dwelling on what our ANCESTORS did is a good idea. Self deprecation is never a good idea, let alone for something none of us hold any kind of responsibility for. Colour me confused, but I'm not going to be tried for any crimes my long dead relatives committed and that's kinda what you're suggesting.

The only way we're going to be able to move past racism is by simply not acknowledging it. We certainly aren't going to manage it by dwelling on what happened in the past.

2) You didn't even glance over the reason that this shitstorm kicked up. It's got nothing to do with racism. When Duncan was cast as the kingpin way back in the old daredevil movie, no one made a fuss. In-fact, people were more bothered about the casting choice of DD himself. I thought he was a cool change.

Or when Samuel Jackson was cast as Fury... I don't think anyone so much as muttered a word of disapproval. I certainly didn't. He added some much needed cool to an otherwise bland character.

Do you know why no one made a stink about that? Because both Nick Fury and the Kingpins race, was never, ever, ever, ever, ever an integral part of their character.

The NORSE gods are exactly that, fucking Norse. They're the depiction of the archetypal European.

Personally, I'm not going to let that bother me when I watch the film. It's not like it's an accurate depiction of Norse mythology as it is. But I just think it's pretty low of you to bring this topic up and completely gloss over the nuts and bolts of the issue.

It's not that it's a blackman playing a role that had otherwise been for a white person. It's that he is portraying a European god. Something that is representative of a certain timeline and people. And it is a miscast by that criteria.

3) Fucking Pony's... ideal fucking world..... GTFO!

JDKJ:

Nerf Ninja:

JDKJ:

By and large and as a group in the United States, no, they haven't. They've suffered and continue to suffer from those vestiges.

Apart from the fact that they're even in the United states in the first place, with a chance to make something of themselves?

You're kidding, right? I've never read the history where the West Africans lined up and fought each other for a berth on a slave ship headed to the New World. As I recall, they ended up here kicking and screaming.

Pretty sure I was talking about modern black Americans there, yep just checked, I was. I don't dispute that it was hell for those involved in the actual slavery part.

Also the switching of race of Goku or Aang is hardly the same thing as switching the race that happened in Thor... for it to be a true double standard they would need to make Thor black...
Also I would totally go to a movie with a black superman..

JDKJ:

joebear15:

JDKJ:

If you're white and American, then you benefit from that history of slavery, Jim Crow, etc. Why shouldn't you owe a debt? You're benefiting at the expense of others.

that may be but i choose as a person to owe nothing as I feel no responsibility for what happened to your ancestors whom I am almost positive probably did bad things to someones ancestors somewhere down the line.

You can always choose to not acknowledge the debt. That doesn't mean you don't owe the debt.

fair enough and when the debt collector comes to my door I will deal with that but until that second i will be a not acknowledge in to my hearts content.

PS - I am mostly Armenian so I basically have none of that cultural debt to begin with ( my grandfather had friend in the Turkish government and was tipped off and told to get out FAST)

as a matter of fact i should be demanding compensation from the Turkish government but I don't because I am aware that the people alive to day in Turkey have nothing to do with the killing of my people.

I would like them to admit the genocide happened though buts that more because not admitting it makes their government look silly and stupid while stopping any healing that could be going on from happening between Armenia and Turkey then any want for closure,

Nerf Ninja:

JDKJ:

Nerf Ninja:

Apart from the fact that they're even in the United states in the first place, with a chance to make something of themselves?

You're kidding, right? I've never read the history where the West Africans lined up and fought each other for a berth on a slave ship headed to the New World. As I recall, they ended up here kicking and screaming.

Pretty sure I was talking about modern black Americans there, yep just checked, I was. I don't dispute that it was hell for those involved in the actual slavery part.

Do you understand what a "vestige" is? And why is your account of History stopping at the abolition of slavery? The unfair treatment of blacks in American wasn't legally abolished until the 1950s (see Brown v. Board of Education and related cases) and, in some cases, later than that (it was illegal for blacks to marry whites until the 1970s (see Virginia v. Loving) and the school desegregation cases, some of which festered on until the early 1980s)).

Sadly there is only one thing I am going to take form this episode right now and its this

Movie bob must watch or likes My Little Pony Friendship is Magic.

Also bob if you can get a Samaria Pizza cats episode done (I watch this when I little and would like to see this topic looked at) but see if there crazy levels are as high to let you do a MLP episode.

JDKJ:

Father Time:

JDKJ:

If you're white and American, then you benefit from that history of slavery, Jim Crow, etc. Why shouldn't you owe a debt?

Because I didn't do anything. The fact that I benefited is not my fault and I cannot make the benefits go away.

JDKJ:

You're benefiting at the expense of others.

You could argue that all of humanity benefited from slaves (not just African slaves, but any slave going back to ancient times).

No, but you can (a) recognize the fact that you have benefited and (b) don't claim that you don't owe that benefit to the burden of others.

JDKJ you are surely a troll. I bet you are sat there right now with your gleaming troll face smile, nice and fat from all the feeding that every one has given you this evening?

(a) He did recognise that he benefited - "The fact that I benefited"

(b) He actually went so far in the other direction to what you claim he is claiming... right that is hard to understand. To clarify, you seem to think that he doesn't think he owes any one for the "benefit" when in fact he says that every one owes the "benefits" to every one. He transcends the whole Black & White relationship extending the "racism and slavery is bad" to a much wider spectrum of social status and race. - "You could argue that all of humanity benefited from slaves (not just African slaves, but any slave going back to ancient times)"

Well said Bob. I really enjoyed this episode. Also, the casting of Elba was awesome. He has such a presence in every scene he's in.

JDKJ:

joebear15:

JDKJ:

I haven't benefited from it. Some other white people who are now long since dead benefited from it.

Brinnmilo:

JDKJ:

Father Time:

Because I didn't do anything. The fact that I benefited is not my fault and I cannot make the benefits go away.

You could argue that all of humanity benefited from slaves (not just African slaves, but any slave going back to ancient times).

No, but you can (a) recognize the fact that you have benefited and (b) don't claim that you don't owe that benefit to the burden of others.

JDKJ you are surely a troll. I bet you are sat there right now with your gleaming troll face smile, nice and fat from all the feeding that every one has given you this evening?

(b) He actually went so far in the other direction to what you claim he is claiming... right that is hard to understand. To clarify, you seem to think that he doesn't think he owes any one for the "benefit" when in fact he says that every one owes the "benefits" to every one. He transcends the whole Black & White relationship extending the "racism and slavery is bad" to a much wider spectrum of social status and race. - "You could argue that all of humanity benefited from slaves (not just African slaves, but any slave going back to ancient times)"

The "you" wasn't literally directed at Father Time. It was used in relation to DUKENUK3M who claimed he didn't owe and to whom I originally responded.

EDIT: And who still insists he doesn't owe. ^^

JDKJ:

Nerf Ninja:

JDKJ:

By and large and as a group in the United States, no, they haven't. They've suffered and continue to suffer from those vestiges.

Actually they were purchased from other Africans. Slavery is universal across the entire globe and most of history.

Brinnmilo:

JDKJ:

Father Time:

I do not think I owe anyone for slavery (since I'm not a slaveowner and I never fought to keep slavery legal etc.). However if we're going to start doing this why stop at African slaves? Why not go back to the slaves of ancient times?

DUKENUK3M:

JDKJ:

joebear15:

I haven't benefited from it. Some other white people who are now long since dead benefited from it.

Eeeehh I struggle to agree with you but only because I can see the only possible end of this argument being that we all owe a massive debt to physics and the start of the universe.

DUKENUK3M:

JDKJ:

Nerf Ninja:

Actually they were purchased from other Africans. Slavery is universal across the entire globe and most of history.

What does that have to do with your benefit?

Mechanix:
I liked this episode, but I'm left with a question...when was the last time a black character was replaced with a white actor? Does it even happen often enough to be a problem?

Not sure but it seems to happen with Asians quite often (see 21).

Abandon4093:

1) White people didn't invent slavery, and if you travel back far enough, you'll find a lot of Caucasians were slaves to some other race or another at some point in history too, along with any other race you can think of, for fucks sake, some African tribes actively enslaved other weaker tribes before we even landed there.

You seem to think that dwelling on what our ANCESTORS did is a good idea. Self deprecation is never a good idea, let alone for something none of us hold any kind of responsibility for. Colour me confused, but I'm not going to be tried for any crimes my long dead relatives committed and that's kinda what you're suggesting.

The only way we're going to be able to move past racism is by simply not acknowledging it. We certainly aren't going to manage it by dwelling on what happened in the past.

2) You didn't even glance over the reason that this shitstorm kicked up. It's got nothing to do with racism. When Duncan was cast as the kingpin way back in the old daredevil movie, no one made a fuss. In-fact, people were more bothered about the casting choice of DD himself. I thought he was a cool change.

Or when Samuel Jackson was cast as Fury... I don't think anyone so much as muttered a word of disapproval. I certainly didn't. He added some much needed cool to an otherwise bland character.

Do you know why no one made a stink about that? Because both Nick Fury and the Kingpins race, was never, ever, ever, ever, ever an integral part of their character.

The NORSE gods are exactly that, fucking Norse. They're the depiction of the archetypal European.

Personally, I'm not going to let that bother me when I watch the film. It's not like it's an accurate depiction of Norse mythology as it is. But I just think it's pretty low of you to bring this topic up and completely gloss over the nuts and bolts of the issue.

It's not that it's a blackman playing a role that had otherwise been for a white person. It's that he is portraying a European god. Something that is representative of a certain timeline and people. And it is a miscast by that criteria.

Dude i doubt you even watched the movie Thor because if you did you would understand that in this iteration of the comic book. These are not Norse Gods they are aliens/higher beings that live in an alternative universe.

So it doesn't matter if Heimdall is black, yellow, purple or tangerine because HES NOT NORSE.

It even explains in the movie that Asgardians were simply worshipped by the primitive norse not that they were norse.

It worked as a casting...
... somehow during the Crusades a black guy appears in Medieval Middle England but hey, the Romans were responsible for bringing black traders and black gladiators to York, so its possible the Crusades brought ONE black guy back...

As far as the whole issue goes I really do not care when they switch the race of characters, so long as it makes the film better or at a minimum it doesn't take away from it. I mean I'd be pissed if they gave up the chance of casting George Clooney for someone like Stephen K. Amos who would be completely inappropriate for the position. However if they subbed Clooney for Gordon Freeman, it would be fine.
Similarly if you had new young actors required... go for it!!! Switch'em round. If the actor is crap then we can bin them and never hear of them again!

JDKJ:

DUKENUK3M:

JDKJ:

What does that have to do with your benefit?

Wouldn't their descendents also owe a debt, presuming you believe in debt being passed by blood (which I don't)?

Father Time:

Brinnmilo:

JDKJ:

I do not think I owe anyone for slavery (since I'm not a slaveowner and I never fought to keep slavery legal etc.). However if we're going to start doing this why stop at African slaves? Why not go back to the slaves of ancient times?

I'm a bit confused about your issue with my comment as you seem to just be agreeing with me. How ever some of my comment was confusing so:
"every one owes the "benefits" to every one" - is the equivalent of saying no one owes any one anything.
As far as the two finishing questions go I think I covered that with both your quote and "extending the "racism and slavery is bad" to a much wider spectrum of social status and race".

Father Time:

Brinnmilo:

JDKJ:

It's not that simple. If you're white and American, the long and, arguably, still continuing history of repression and oppression of racial minorities by the white majority better positions you to compete for scare resources and opportunities (e.g., schools, jobs, etc.) than the minorities who have historically been kept from the field of competition.

JDKJ:

Nerf Ninja:

JDKJ:

Do you understand what a "vestige" is? And why is your account of History stopping at the abolition of slavery? The unfair treatment of blacks in American wasn't legally abolished until the 1950s (see Brown v. Board of Education and related cases) and, in some cases, later than that (it was illegal for blacks to marry whites until the 1970s (see Virginia v. Loving) and the school desegregation cases, some of which festered on until the early 1980s)).

You were the one that mentioned about the slaves coming to America not me. I probably should say that I'm English so I'm not really inculcated in the history of America.

I do personally believe that racism in any form is wrong and yes I accept that it's only been recently that you could say it's even possibly on an even keel for all races (Probably not true as such) but as I said at the beginning, my statement wasn't so much that institutional racism no longer exists in America but that MODERN blacks have benefitted from slavery.

Not in any financial sense but rather in a sense that though their "people" have suffered, they themselves individually can achieve a great deal of things that would probably have been denied them had their ancestors not suffered so terribly.

I'm in danger of Godwinning myself here but do you think a German owes a Jew a debt because of the Terrible suffering of the Jewish during the war?

I think it should be acknowledged but it shouldn't be the defining character of those people.

Nerf Ninja:

JDKJ:

Nerf Ninja:

You were the one that mentioned about the slaves coming to America not me. I probably should say that I'm English so I'm not really inculcated in the history of America.

I do personally believe that racism in any form is wrong and yes I accept that it's only been recently that you could say it's even possibly on an even keel for all races (Probably not true as such) but as I said at the beginning, my statement wasn't so much that institutional racism no longer exists in America but that MODERN blacks have benefitted from slavery.

Not in any financial sense but rather in a sense that though their "people" have suffered, they themselves individually can achieve a great deal of things that would probably have been denied them had their ancestors not suffered so terribly.

I'm in danger of Godwinning myself here but do you think a German owes a Jew a debt because of the Terrible suffering of the Jewish during the war?

I think it should be acknowledged but it shouldn't be the defining character of those people.

The Germans obviously think they do.

Germany, by way of agreement with Israel, has paid $715 million in goods and services to the State of Israel as compensation for taking in survivors of the Holocaust; $110 million to the Claims Conference for programs to finance the relief, rehabilitation, and resettlement of Jewish Holocaust survivors; and direct reparations to selected individuals over a 12-year period amounting to several hundred million dollars and still counting.

Andothul:

Abandon4093:

Dude i doubt you even watched the movie Thor because if you did you would understand that in this iteration of the comic book. These are not Norse Gods they are aliens/higher beings that live in an alternative universe.

So it doesn't matter if Heimdall is black, yellow, purple or tangerine because HES NOT NORSE.

It even explains in the movie that Asgardians were simply worshipped by the primitive norse not that they were norse.

Dude, I doubt you even read all of my post.

Namely this bit.

me:

And to clear it up, no I haven't seen it yet, and yes I already heard that they were going with the alien backstory.

It doesn't matter, they're still an iteration of the Norsegods. No matter how far off a tangent they went. They're still the Norse gods.

I just thought I'd toss in one other thing: Did anyone else mention the fact that the 'token black guy' is also the Asgardian equivalent of the door man?

JDKJ:

Father Time:

Brinnmilo:

It's not that simple. If you're white and American, the long and, arguably, still continuing history of repression and oppression of racial minorities by the white majority better positions you to compete for scare resources and opportunities (e.g., schools, jobs, etc.) than the minorities who have historically been kept from the field of competition.

1. Yes but that is different from slavery, yet slavery is still invoked as a debt that all white people share.

2. Also in the past, before my time. That is last millennium's business. Not my responsibility.

Freedom's a new idea. Why is it so important to repay the minorities for their enslavement? Everything preys on something weaker than themselves. There's no excuse for that, but it's also not a reason for this in itself. A reason to cast that black man would be the guy's a great actor, and so forth, not that he's black. Literally saying that it's because he's black and it's fair because we enslaved black people is inflammatory. That in itself breeds hate and further racism in people who disagree with your view, and perhaps in people who share your view...

TL;DR: "Because he's black" is never a reason for anything.

The reason why I'm not happy with casting a black actor as a Norse God is that it makes no sense to me. Why is there only one? Why didn't the Vikings portrayed him as black? For that matter, what's up with Thor's Asian friend?

Was that seriously the only role in the entire movie that could be played by a black actor?

Davroth:
The reason why I'm not happy with casting a black actor as a Norse God is that it makes no sense to me. Why is there only one? Why didn't the Vikings portrayed him as black? For that matter, what's up with Thor's Asian friend?

Was that seriously the only role in the entire movie that could be played by a black actor?

When you consider that they're actually alien beings who were worshiped by the Norse AS gods, there is the possibility that, since the Norse were white, they chose to depict their gods as white? Maybe the Asgardians were also worshiped by other societies under different names, who put their own ethnic spin on it?

When you consider how much of the currently living religions has been borrowed from older beliefs with new spins put on them, it's not hard to believe that such changes could have been made. Maybe there are other black Asgardians, we just don't see them in the movie. *shrugs*

And yeah, I kinda wondered who the Asian guy was too.

JDKJ:

Nerf Ninja:

JDKJ:

The Germans obviously think they do.

Germany, by way of agreement with Israel, has paid $715 million in goods and services to the State of Israel as compensation for taking in survivors of the Holocaust; $110 million to the Claims Conference for programs to finance the relief, rehabilitation, and resettlement of Jewish Holocaust survivors; and direct reparations to selected individuals over a 12-year period amounting to several hundred million dollars and still counting.

So if America just decided one day to give all descendants of slavery or racial abuse in the past a few hundred million, that would be enough for you?

You're obviously much more well informed on this than I could hope to be, you probably had a better education than I did, mine was atrocious.

I will have to leave it here I'm afraid, as I have to be up early for work tomorrow and it's getting late here. I applaud your knowledge and hope for the best possible future for you.

I genuinely hope you didn't think I was attacking you or your beliefs. It's a sorry state of affairs that modern culture benefits from the miseries of the past, the best we can hope for is to acknowledge them but work to the future without forgetting their lessons.

My only disagreement with some of what is said here is that not just black people were slaves in history (gasp from some of you).
In fact the word "slave" comes from the root Slav, for the Slavs, present day middle europeans, who were defeated and taken as slaves by the Norse peoples (See what i did there? full circle). Every race and people have been slaves at some point or another and mostly when those places had been defeated in war, in which case it was almost expected. So, while yes we took Africans as slaves in America, many other cultures took many other races as slaves as well, in which case all of this is conditional.
*breathes deep*
Besides that, this was a really good episode I agreed with for the most part (Besides what is stated above.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here