Extra Punctuation: Building Sequels Badly

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Thaius:
"Name me one sequel to a game that wasn't left open for sequels, with the same main characters as before, whose story was regarded as better than the first. Let me help you out: there aren't any."

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
The Dark Knight

Owned. Two great examples. Sorry, but as much as I understand the things you're saying, Yahtzee, your stance on it is far, far too extreme. You simply can't paint with that broad a brush on topics like this. It's not that simple.

You owned yourself. He saids games, but movies are games right? derp derp

Heathrow:
Toy Story 2 was better than Toy Story and there was no sequel hook at the end of the original.

Portal 2 is an interesting character piece that only gets better with added scrutiny. Valve have shown that they know there stuff and they don't need me or anyone else defending them.

Wow, you can't read either.

HE SAID GAMES

CopperBoom:

A Curious Fellow:
A game whose story was lightyears better than its predecessor? Halo 2. I win.

That certainly is an opinion.

and not one I share either. Halo:CE ftw.

Woodsey:

And BioShock 2 is better than BioShock.

*runs away*

I guess we'll just have to

COMPLETELY DISAGREE

on this one.

Vivendel:
I know this is stretching it on the issue of "same characters", but The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is an adequate example of a rushed sequel churned out in direct response to the former game's success, where both plot and game mechanics can be argued to be superiour (I know there are a lot of OOT supporters out there disagreeing with me on this point. I'm not attempting to start an OOT vs MM discussion so please keep calm).

Sometimes rushed sequels can prove a blessing in disguise. Just saying.

I was actually gonna use Ocarina of Time as an example of a sequel to a game that didn't need one story wise yet had the same characters (Link to the Past) but is quite honestly a better game all things considered (and that is saying a lot because LttP was fantastic). And then Majora's Mask was an example of what Yahtzee was talking about where the sequel was again not needed in regards to story yet had the same main character and some of the uncanny valley townspeople but was easily the weakest and worst zelda game (case and point: introduction of Tingle, entire game is timed, there is Tingle, if you dont know to play the song of time backwards trick combined with using the camera to save dungeon progress you can't beat the game, Tingle is in it) until those gameboy games that everyone has wiped from their memory (some nonsense about seasons and ages). However, Wind Waker again takes Ocarina of Time and creates from it a sequel that is actually a good game, if not better than the forerunner. But with Zelda games the true enemy is not the fans, it's Shigeru Miyamoto because he was quoted as saying "One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." Thus it is proven irrefutably that he is to blame for all the shitty nintendo sequals at large, not fans.[/quote]

I can't believe I'm doing this (as I really, really don't want to start a fanboy discussion (and yet that is probably what I'm inadvertently encouraging)) but the Zelda-nerd within me is urging to point out that the main character in LttP is not the same as in OoT, and as such the one cannot be considered a direct sequel to the other.

Also, just, you know, for the record: Tingle is awesome (go quirky, strangely sinister, sexually ambiguous characters).

I really have to say that expanding on GLaDOS was a good idea. When the game was first announced, I hated how it looked like Portal 2 was going to be the same thing as the first: GLaDOS tries to kill me, I don't let her. But it turned out that she was a much more sympathetic character, and by the end, I almost didn't want to leave her. By the end of the first game, she was my favorite villain of all time. By the end of the second game, she was my favorite character of all time.

PhiMed:

Woodsey:
The "surprise!" argument that's supposed to go in Portal's favour (fuck you Chrome, there is a U in there) doesn't really make sense to me - it seems to work on about the same logic as a game being deemed bad because of the unbearable amounts of hype. And as well all know, that's stupid.

As for Glados not being the same in Portal 2, its implied throughout Portal that she did murder everyone in the facility, whilst her methods to psychologically 'undermine' Chell remain about the same.

I can see the argument about story taking over, but I felt they were simply better balanced, and that the moments where the story 'interrupts' are actually moments used to pace the game and ease your puzzle-induced migraine.

And most people and fans are saying its better than the first.

And BioShock 2 is better than BioShock.

*runs away*

*reading, nodding head*

Biosho... what? You get back here, damn it! *angrily chasing*

But Bioshock 2 is better than the first one. Not as many motherfucking "go back and fetch this shit" objectives. That's one of the things that kept Bioshock 1 squarely in the "OK, not anywhere near worthy of a 10" in my book.

Yatzhee, last time we let developers do what they wanted to with a franchise we got the abhorrent waste of space that is Other M. I see very little problem with bringing a new story to the same characters with very similar gameplay. The first will always be the best, sure, but I do enjoy sequels. Even similar ones.

CopperBoom:

A Curious Fellow:

Doth thou disagreeth?

Thaius:
"Name me one sequel to a game that wasn't left open for sequels, with the same main characters as before, whose story was regarded as better than the first. Let me help you out: there aren't any."

The Dark Knight

Owned. Two great examples. Sorry, but as much as I understand the things you're saying, Yahtzee, your stance on it is far, far too extreme. You simply can't paint with that broad a brush on topics like this. It's not that simple.

Darth Vader flying away safely in his modified TIE-fighter.
Gordon revealing the Joker's calling card to Batman.

Also, Yahtzee said sequel to a game.

Try harder.

MaxPowers666:

JaymesFogarty:
Well, sequels can work if they work planned from the beginning, ie. Metal Gear Solid, or Assassin's Creed. But even they can be terrible; so Yahtzee, I agree with you once more!

Lets face it except for MGS4 they were not really sequals at all. MGS2 is all about jack and MGS3 is all about Big Boss. Sure there are plenty of spin offs but I dont think any of them are superior to the core games in any way.

Somehow, I prefer this type of sequel. As Yahtzee stated in his article, the best kind of sequel for him was one that had a few common threads with the original, but starred other characters and expanded the series. MGS2 followed MGS' themes of meme, un/ethical cloning, the morality of war and such, but also differentiated itself using a new protagonist with a new story.

A Curious Fellow:

CopperBoom:

A Curious Fellow:

Doth thou disagreeth?

Hard to say.
I was never a "Walo" fan so to me better is highly subjective.
I have played all of them (except Reach) at friends houses co-op.
But enjoyed it, not since the first and that is just because smooth split-screen (N64 anyone?) co-op was a new concept when Xbox first came out.

SirBryghtside:
Um... I preferred Portal 2?

You seem to have missed the point a little bit on the GLaDOS thing, which led to a couple of contradictions. You say that she's changed, which was bad. The reason she's changed is pretty obviously because of Caroline's influence - and yet you then complain that she was in the game, and therefore too similar?

Anyway, that wasn't the main point of the article. But still, I don't see the problem in continuing a story, gameplay idea, whatever, that people liked.

Sequels aren't a bad thing - sure, in movies they're often a little pathetic, but with games, they're a great way to expand on the original's mechanics. Half-Life, Mass Effect, TES - all great games with great sequels, that are often better than the originals.

You misunderstand. Yahtzee never said there were no good sequels. Quite the opposite. Just that there has been a trend of poorly made sequels recently.

I can agree with this mostly but, I never saw Portal 2 as anything majorly different from Portal 1. It was more of the juicy same goodness, if not better because there was more of it. It looked better, the controls were better, the UI was better, etc etc. However I do think what SHOULD be focused on for sequels is a MAJOR engine change, otherwise in todays world, just update it with patches and DLC.

I say this because as Jim pointed out, games aren't films. I get the whole weaving the narrative in, but personally with things like Portal 2 and Bioshock, I think games have mastered the basic in storytelling for games. Or, ya know, we have that thing that everyone else did (start a level with a cutscene, play the level, end with a cutscene). I mean, yeah that's linear gameplay, sandbox would need more looking into, but still, we've pretty much got it in the bag.

Now my major point is with this is something like Fallout New Vegas. Ahem, new story, new character, new world, yes, thanks, appreciate it, but if it runs off the same engine, why not just release it as DLC for like 20-25 (considering a game here is usually 40). The story was fine in New Vegas, in fact I'd hazard to say I liked it more than Fallout 3, HOWEVER, it's the same old? Why did I need the other disk?

This way you just buy the usage off of one engine really and then update it with so many stories. You know who this would benefit greatly? Indie developers. Download a game using a major companies engine for like 15, I'd be on that like no tomorrow. And perhaps 5 would go to the engine license holders, I dunno, economics is a downfall to me, but to me, this seems like such a better model. I think it would be most beneficial to Valve, I mean I know they're leaving the episodic gaming format but still...this way developers only REALLY have to focus on the storytelling aspects compared to "Oh noes, his back needs more render power to make it glisten in water" for a sequel change...yay, just what I always wanted...

CopperBoom:

A Curious Fellow:

CopperBoom:

Doth thou disagreeth?

Hard to say.
But enjoyed it, not since the first and that is just because smooth split-screen (N64 anyone?) co-op was a new concept when Xbox first came out.

Okay first, what is this Walo?

And to give you some of my perspective, I've been dramatically disappointed by everything since Halo 2. The campaign stories have been deflated piles of crap. ODST was better than the others, entertaining on the level of, say, Gears of War, but was still pretty damn stupid.

I consider Halo 2 to have been Bungie's best work.

Golden Sun: the lost age is a good sequel with the same world and all the same characters. Though it has practically identical gameplay and is more of an expansion pack than a sequel. Plus the original was intentionally set up for a sequel...
There are two kinds of games: Games that stand on their own two feet and try to become good on their own terms, for their own standards.
And games that concentrate on pleasing people, namely their fans, who view the will of an incomprehensible mob as their guideline.
Sequels are almost always in the second category. And games in the second category are always doomed. Successful, perhaps, even effective, but doomed nonetheless. Artists who view popular trends and preferences as their prime guideline will only ever create passing entertainment, never a timeless work of art.

A Curious Fellow:

Never have played it, I liked ODST though. Also am loving halo:reach's multiplayer.

Too many people remember Portal 1 through rose tinted glasses. Flinging your way through 90% of the puzzles grew boring way faster than it should have been.

What Yahtzee says is a good answer, to a slightly tilted question though. Yeah, sequels need this and this to top the former awesome chapter 1: but do you really need to? Is there only suckage if you aren't doing better?

Sometimes, affection toward a game's brand can be more important than the overall fantastic gameplay of it. People caring about something is not stupid and you shouldn't smash their balls about it. They're just more into it than some unknown indie proj.

Super Mario 3
Any Final Fantasy other than 1
Half-Life 2
Jedi Knights
Freespace 2
Assassins Creed 2

I don't agree with the point that sequels should be made by people that are not fans. Look at Assassins Creed 2: the game is really different because they actually addressed the issues people complained and ended up with a better game. Or look at Resistance 2: they changed a lot of stuff and ended up with a game that lost its identity (instead, it was Call of Duty with aliens). What I am saying is: if developers don't listen to what people liked or disliked about the game and make an entirely different beast, what is the point of calling it a sequel to begin with?

If that were the case, Starcraft 2 would be Call of Duty-style FPS, Fallout 3 would be an MMO and Half Life 2 would have regenerately energy... It is always better to listen to fans than to listen to publishers.

Let's see here. Majora's Mask has the same character and didn't leave an end for a sequel in OoT and even though it is recieved worse then OoT in general, it would seem as if among Zelda fans, MM is actually favored. Which I agree

also the Silent Hill franchise and i don't know how else to say that. It wasn't particularly amazing except for SH2 before it moved from Japan and SH2 wasn't even the scariest of the 4.

Choppaduel:

Thaius:

The Dark Knight

Haenf:

Thaius:

The Dark Knight

Try harder.

Ugh, you're right. Apparently I didn't notice that; my bad. Though the fact still stands, really. He's not talking about a gameplay principle, he's talking about a storytelling principle ("...whose story was regarded as better than the first."); just because games haven't done it doesn't mean it can't be done in games even though it's been done in movies and books. The fact that it's been done period is a point against using that statement to say it cannot be done.

Also, Crash Bandicoot 2, if anyone cared about the story. I also wonder if Mario and Zelda count, considering they're not directly connected (explicitly, at least) but deal with the same characters, locations, and concepts.

I REALLY liked Portal 1 when it first came out. The game was awesome, it shone.
So I was a little worried when Portal2 came out but I bought into the hype (which is rarely deserved), I pre-ordered it (a first for me), pre-installed it.. (someone please tell me how that works.. to install it, it must be finished right? so why can't I play it?)

Then on release day, I played it and thought it was great. GLaDOS was in her old form, insulting me. The additional back story elements were fantastic.. the tie in with HalfLife2 EP2 with the Borealis was neat too making me itch for Ep3 even more.

The little touches like the video walls and Cave Johnsons' amazing dialog made it even more special.

I think Yahtzee is basically right about sequels, they're normally a waste of time and effort, but some games deserve them and when done well, make something amazing.

Good games with great sequels.

Portal
Mass Effect
Elder Scrolls (Oblivion was FAR better than any previous game, which looks to be surpassed again by Skyrim)
Descent Freespace
Diablo
Grand Theft Auto 3 (Vice city was awesome)

but on the whole I agree..

Eldarion:

A Curious Fellow:

Never have played it, I liked ODST though. Also am loving halo:reach's multiplayer.

Reach's multiplayer....

It's solid, I like it. I fundamentally disagree with pulling out duel wielding and so many weapons types previously established in the series. It dumbed down the game considerably, even as the loadout abilities expanded it. On balance I can't even say if I preferred Halo 3's multiplayer gameplay or Reach's, but I can be certain that I would prefer a blend.

I miss my SMGs.

Choppaduel:

Thaius:

The Dark Knight

Haenf:

Thaius:

The Dark Knight

Try harder.

Ugh, you're right. Apparently I didn't notice that; my bad. Though the fact still stands, really. He's not talking about a gameplay principle, he's talking about a storytelling principle ("...whose story was regarded as better than the first."); just because games haven't done it doesn't mean it can't be done in games even though it's been done in movies and books. The fact that it's been done period is a point against using that statement to say it cannot be done.

Also, Crash Bandicoot 2, if anyone cared about the story. I also wonder if Mario and Zelda count, considering they're not directly connected (explicitly, at least) but deal with the same characters, locations, and concepts.

As for the "sequel bait" in the two mentioned movies, that's very little more than GLaDOS still being alive at the end of Portal. The danger is done, it seems to no longer concern you. Darth Vader being alive simply means... well, he's still alive; the most grave threat, the Death Star, is still destroyed. And the Joker card wouldn't have meant anything more than, "Hey, more stuff for him to do!" if not for the already-established character of the Joker, and even as it was it wasn't much more than in the first Portal.

A Curious Fellow:

CopperBoom:

A Curious Fellow:

Doth thou disagreeth?

Hard to say.

And to give you some of my perspective, I've been dramatically disappointed by everything since Halo 2. The campaign stories have been deflated piles of crap. ODST was better than the others, entertaining on the level of, say, Gears of War, but was still pretty damn stupid.

This is "Walo":
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/10/18/

...and I think the first one was better because it was something different. The second was just more of the same, the only innovation was playing with strangers which I do not like so to me it was much more terrible.

CopperBoom:

A Curious Fellow:

CopperBoom:

Hard to say.

This is "Walo":
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/10/18/

...and I think the first one was better because it was something different. The second was just more of the same, the only innovation was playing with strangers which I do not like so to me it was much more terrible.

On the note of comparing Halo 1 and 2, I was throwing in with 2 because of the campaign story and pretty much nothing else.

Thaius:

Choppaduel:
snip

The point of a game, and sadly I have to say in my opinion, is that the story and game-play are entwined, are inseparable, are one entity. So it doesn't make sense to compare film or novel story to game story.

The thing about Zelda is that each sequel works more like a remake than a continuation or a separate story. It's the same story, again & again, just with slightly different settings and slightly different dialogue.

Yep, exactly. It seems I`ve written extensively about this by this point, and I usually get my share of snarky responses, so I`ll keep it short.

A sequel should never be created with the defining characteristic that it be more of the same as the first. It should certainly capture the spirit of the first, or exist within a continued mythos (otherwise it shouldn`t be a sequel at all), but a sequel should never be constrained by entitled cries of `it`s not the same as the first one, so it sucks!` When you buy a game, you`re buying a game. You`re not putting a downpayment on your say in the future of the franchise.

Diablo 2 was better than the original, continued a story that had no obvious hook, and though the gameplay didn't feature the same character the story did.

You could argue Warcraft 2-3 and WoW were continuations of the same story but also good games, but they weren't character driven but plot driven.

This got ninja'd in an earlier post but it deserves to be said again.

Baldur's Gate 2.

Same main character, no sequel hook in BG1, much better regarded than the first.

ascorbius:

Elder Scrolls (Oblivion was FAR better than any previous game, which looks to be surpassed again by Skyrim)

While I do think Skyrim will be amazing Oblivion was only better compared to Arena.
I thought (personally of course) that Morrowind was MILES better and deeper than Oblivion which was so mass-market and watered down... and that one is not even my favourite!
My favourite is still Daggerfall, although it has been a while since I have played it, it has the biggest world to play in and seems the most "free". It was like an FPS single player Ultima Online.

Woodsey:

Bioshock 2 is better than Bioshock

*runs away*

YOU WON'T ESCAPE ME!!!

The thing about Zelda is that each sequel works more like a remake than a continuation or a separate story. It's the same story, again & again, just with slightly different settings and slightly different dialogue.

Except that's not true and unless you are saying that for comedic affect i would greatly appreciate you don't make strawman arguments when you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. Yes many of the games are similar with similar themes and story structures but if you think that Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are remakes then you sir need your head looked at.

Choppaduel:

Thaius:

Choppaduel:
snip

The point of a game, and sadly I have to say in my opinion, is that the story and game-play are entwined, are inseparable, are one entity. So it doesn't make sense to compare film or novel story to game story.

It's true that the gameplay and story should be inseparable, but that's less about what the story is and more how it's presented. What we are dealing with now is not the ways in which story and gameplay intertwine but the much more basic issue of what the story is in the first place.

HeroKing89:

Except that's not true and unless you are saying that for comedic affect i would greatly appreciate you don't make strawman arguments when you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. Yes many of the games are similar with similar themes and story structures but if you think that Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are remakes then you sir need your head looked at.

Also, exactly what he said. Though I was going to use Ocarina of Time instead of Wind Waker, but it's basically true of any of them. 'Cept Phantom Hourglass, perhaps.

HeroKing89:

using those example to call my argument a strawman, IS a strawman.

We both know Windwaker and Majora Mask aren't the only two Zelda games....

The Legend of Zelda (GBA)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)-
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GC)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (NDS)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (NDS)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

most of those games work more like remakes than sequels

take note here...

now Majora's Mask works more like a sequel than a remake, much much more like a sequel, you're probably even safe to call it a sequel. (I'll have to take your for Wind Waker, as I haven't read up on the plot for I do intend to play it, just need to find a copy.)

I DID NOT SAY ALL OF THEM ARE REMAKES
I DID NOT SAY MAJORA'S MASK WAS A REMAKE

I SAID "each sequel works more like a remake than a continuation or a separate story."

taking the LoZ series as whole, this makes sense.

Next time, think before you post.

TL;DR
link -> get maguffin -> defeat evil/recue princess
I SAID LIKE, NOT IS.

I think the BioShock series is interesting because it seems that it exemplifies two completely different ideas for how to create a sequel:

- spiritual successor
- lazy direct sequel

BioShock was an original property promoted as the spiritual successor to the System Shock series. But, it had its own story, setting, characters, gameplay, etc.

Then BioShock 2 was the lazy direct sequel to BioShock with duplicated story, setting, characters, etc.

Now it seems that BioShock Infinite will be another spiritual successor. It will be in the gameplay style of BioShock, but have a new story, setting, characters, etc.

Can I just say, I loved portal 2's storyline. I loved the idea of it. In portal 1, you suddenly uncovered the illusion that you were in and your objective changed from "finish the puzzle sequence and complain to health and safety for the stupid tests" to "Get out. Get out now."

Portal 2 continued that on. Your objective was still just to get out of the base, but this time you knew these weren't ordinary tests. You knew there was something else at stake. The illusion was gone and your objective was still just to escape by any means necessary. Your character is one of incredible tenacity, wanting to try any route to get out, so to me, going behind the scenes almost made sense. You know it to be a safe haven and your best escape attempt so far had been to go off the rails. It felt more like natural progression of Portal 1 than anything else.

I will however also say, portal 1 felt like a better game than portal 2. But portal 2 felt like more fun.

Tag: The Power of Paint

Early in development Valve considered that Portal 2 would have exclusively gel-based puzzles and not even use the portal gun mechanic. This was the spiritual successor path. I guess the idea didn't test well. ("Baa baa four legs good two legs bad, etc.") So, they made a direct sequel instead.

asbrandr:

Vivendel:
I know this is stretching it on the issue of "same characters", but The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is an adequate example of a rushed sequel churned out in direct response to the former game's success, where both plot and game mechanics can be argued to be superiour (I know there are a lot of OOT supporters out there disagreeing with me on this point. I'm not attempting to start an OOT vs MM discussion so please keep calm).

Sometimes rushed sequels can prove a blessing in disguise. Just saying.

I was actually gonna use Ocarina of Time as an example of a sequel to a game that didn't need one story wise yet had the same characters (Link to the Past) but is quite honestly a better game all things considered (and that is saying a lot because LttP was fantastic). And then Majora's Mask was an example of what Yahtzee was talking about where the sequel was again not needed in regards to story yet had the same main character and some of the uncanny valley townspeople but was easily the weakest and worst zelda game (case and point: introduction of Tingle, entire game is timed, there is Tingle, if you dont know to play the song of time backwards trick combined with using the camera to save dungeon progress you can't beat the game, Tingle is in it) until those gameboy games that everyone has wiped from their memory (some nonsense about seasons and ages). However, Wind Waker again takes Ocarina of Time and creates from it a sequel that is actually a good game, if not better than the forerunner. But with Zelda games the true enemy is not the fans, it's Shigeru Miyamoto because he was quoted as saying "One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." Thus it is proven irrefutably that he is to blame for all the shitty nintendo sequals at large, not fans.

...sequels like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxies, Metroid Prime, Pikmin 2? I'm confused. Miyamoto isn't trying to give the people what he wants - he's an artist, not a showman - and so the new mechanics that have rejuvenated these franchises can be credited to him, perhaps more so than anyone else. You actually gave two great examples of this when you mentioned Ocarina and Wind Waker. There are other forces at Nintendo, however, who are responsible for the oversimplification of such sequels as New Super Mario Brothers and Wii Sports Resort, games that embody very little aside from "more of the same." So here I have to side with Yatzhee and Miyamoto: give us something new. I want another StarFox, F-Zero and Kid Icarus, but I don't want re-hashes with updated graphics. I want to see what new directions they can take these franchises in.

I actually really liked glados in portal 2. glados changed during portal 1, like a character should. in portal 2 she was just flesed out more but in a really good way

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67419)