305: What They Say

Pages PREV 1 2

Robert Ludwick: Modern games can scale back on gameplay thanks to all of the added features, which evens things out.

sooo modern games can scale back on gameplay? funny the reason I buy games is explicity because of the GAMEPLAY.

forgive me for wanting gameplay IN MY GAMES!!!!

(yes that comment realy anoyed me lol)

Yup, that explains alot in my opinion.

There's too much business and too little game design floating around in these peoples heads. A good game ought to be a game.

Perhaps it's time to diversify the concept of a "video game"; perhaps we could stop calling things games that don't focus primarily on gameplay. We need some new words, I think.

This was an interesting read, and it'd be nice to get a little more like it. :)

Xandre:
You know what I want to see more of? Local split-screen. From what I can see, the number of local mulitplayer games is on the down...

Yeah, online gaming is fun 10 vs 10 on some server, but I doubt there will ever be anything, gaming wise, like sitting down with some mates, with a couple of local split-screen games and enough Red Bull to kick-start a guy in a coma. In fact, when I go game hunting, one thing I look for games with local multiplayer. It's also pretty much the reason why I almost always buy second hand PS2 games; the vast majority of really good PS2 games have a split screen available to them. Want proof? Dig out your old titles and see how many of them had split-screen as opposed to today's titles.

In fact, imagine this situation: Need for Speed most wanted, where you and a buddy have a local split-screen and a maximum of 250m between you. Now imagine having to outrun cops doing anything and everything to stop you.

This about 1000 times over. There are some games that are just begging for local split-screen, but don't have it for some inexplicable reason. Local multiplayer is something that brings friends and loved ones togther, laughing and sharing a truly fun experience, if it is implemented in the right way and used in the right games. It makes me sad to see how little splitscreen seems to be promoted now- I hope more games get back into the splitcreen fun in the future.

Those are good points, but I think the main issue is not listening/being tightly involved with your fans. That way you can improve in the ways they want that will make them buy and like your art.

At the end of the day, you have to remember, it's your fans who are really paying you.

raankh:
Yup, that explains alot in my opinion.

There's too much business and too little game design floating around in these peoples heads. A good game ought to be a game.

Perhaps it's time to diversify the concept of a "video game"; perhaps we could stop calling things games that don't focus primarily on gameplay. We need some new words, I think.

I got one: Interactive Film.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or