Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I never expected Yahtzee to get to this game, its an old favorite of mine.

TheIronRuler:
Though you said you never did play it at the time, it couldn't have been a distraction while your mother was drinking booze....

He meant that towards people who might be overly nostalgic about it.

"Overall Dirty knickers passes the nostalgia test in that I liked it as game(as in having no prior relationship with it.),and not because it distracted me from my mothers drinking problem when I was fifteen."(Someone could remember something as being more enjoyably if it also took time away from more painful thoughts at the time but that not being the case for Yahtzee with Castlevania:SotN.)

Eerie I started playing Castlevania last weekend ...(yes because of the down PSN, though not the point right now.) He has a point it about the learning curve it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to use the magic attacks. (From reading the PSN digital user's manual.)

Grey_Focks:
It's safe to say I was not expecting that. In fact, I even prepared a big rant on you not bothering to play any of the multiplayer for Brink...

My afternoon is ruined.

You know it just came out yesterday, right? And it is a multiplayer based game, so even if he did get it early, it would just be for playing the single player. Plus he does all the reviews ahead of time. Playing through an entire game, making/recording the video, and sending it to The Escapist so they could get it ready all in 24 hours would be murder...

Meh. I didn't even smile :(

OhJohnNo:
Well, that was interesting. I expected him to tear apart something like Homefront.

Well, there is a brief disparaging reference...

Funny review as always, never have played any Castlevania games in my entire life imo.

One thing though.. All these years i have see people in MMOs and other games with Alucard as their name and up until now it never twigged that it was merely Dracula spelt backwards.

I wasn't expecting this game as a review,but it was awesome to see an "oldie".

Interesting choice.

Best game currently on the XBLA. Still the best side scroller ever made.

Assassin Xaero:
snip

mjc0961:
snip

Bah, you kids and your sense-making. Seeing as how I never even realized Alucard is Dracula backwards, you really shouldn't expect much in the ways of intelligence from me.

I was expecting you to review Homefront eventually, thanks for finally giving your stance on that.

I pretty much skipped out on console gaming between 1994 - 2002, but I always loved Castlevania. So this was the game I spent years trying to track down a used copy of until my friend found one and gave it to me for my birthday. Then it showed up on PSN less than a year later. Typical. But totally worth it.

Also, among the best game soundtracks ever, hands down.

And just when I thought you couldn't do another consecutive decent review; you did a great one.

I was literally taking a bite of a baked bean sandwich when he mentioned it.

Fuck, man.

Giant Duke Nukem Forever ad surrounding Zero Punctuation. Oh sweet delicious irony.

I violated my works' policy of "no videos today please" just to watch this. I guess it was worth it.

Yeah ZP could do more old games.

There is an entire Star Wars series waiting to be bashed (Except Jedi Knight)

Alucard...still sounds more legit than snilboG, though :/
also, yeah, some of the enemies in that game are God hard, imo :(

plz mr crawshaw
rip the shit out of socom 4 and the disgusting use of native accents

I almost bought this one the other day, got hooked on all of my old GBA/DS Castlevania games again. I never played Symphony, so maybe this is a good time. I think it's half off on XBL now, too.

I actually played this one last year. It's a great game, but the difficulty curve could really use some work. By the end I combined a rod thing with a special shield and I was so overpowered, Dracula himself only lasted 3 seconds against me.

All these reviews that you do make me want to play all of these games just to see what you meant.

The low as shit difficulty really killed this game for me. The game got into a boring grind of running through same areas and occasionally finding some stuff I didn't need, but I still managed to get to the final boss and beat the game (the real one). As for the RPG, different equipment and all that I can understand, but leveling up didn't really contribute anything to the game except maybe unbalance it further.

So yeah, I'd take Rondo of Blood, remake or not, over these Metroidvanias any day.

just finished it yesterday on PS1 emulator and today Yahtzee has done a review. It's a sign!

best review in a long time, funny as shit :D

I can't be the only one who found it a little stupid that Yahtzee made such a discriminating remark towards the Japanese about Alucard when
1) I recall that first being done in the Son of Dracula movie made by Americans in the 1940's
2) How many shows besides Hellsing have a character named Alucard that's japanese?

I swear Yahtzee can't go a single review on a Japanese game without mentioning that it's Japanese or making some prick comment about them.

See its not always nostalgia!

One of my absolute favorite games. Replay it every now and then, sooo fun when you get the cruicigram, too bad its a pain in the ass to get, still amazing tho.

I saw the title and went, "What?" Then I realized that, yeah, there's really nothing major out at the moment, so good choice.
I remember playing this game and only getting the first half done. Then I remember my brother telling me that there was more to it. Then I went back and got the second half done. THEN I found out that there's the perfect ending, so I had to go and get that too. Did you get the perfect ending Yahtzee? That was a real chore.

One of my absolute favorites. Played this after playing the DS/GBA Castlevanias, AND the GBA Metroids, and not one of them holds a candle to it.

The Alucard thing is actually American in origin, having been using in the 1930s film The Son of Dracula.

Falseprophet:
I pretty much skipped out on console gaming between 1994 - 2002, but I always loved Castlevania. So this was the game I spent years trying to track down a used copy of until my friend found one and gave it to me for my birthday. Then it showed up on PSN less than a year later. Typical. But totally worth it.

Also, among the best game soundtracks ever, hands down.

I prefer this one. Wow, Y really caught me with my pants down on this one. He reviewed and enjoyed it? Who would have thought?

Well, it's nice to see that the massive following this game has probably isn't just nostalgia. I did forget that Alucard has to take a pretty massive fall backwards when anything scrapes him though. Imagining a kid dropping their icecream on his pants and him flying backwards was good for a laugh.

hurricanejbb:
(though the subway puzzle in the Selenic age was hair-pullingly frustrating if you didn't know what you were doing)

Are you talking about that one where you guessed the cardinal coordinates through individual sounds or something like that?

Ericb:

hurricanejbb:
(though the subway puzzle in the Selenic age was hair-pullingly frustrating if you didn't know what you were doing)

Are you talking about that one where you guessed the cardinal coordinates through individual sounds or something like that?

Yeah, that's the one. A lot of trial and error involved in that.

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
wow

there really was nothing else for you to review?

I mean

you could have gone with Donkey Kong Country Returns instead

Really? Hes complaining about lack of variety and your ideia is telling in to play Another Donkey Kong? Are you from space or something?

hurricanejbb:
Why the hell is he ragging on Myst? That game was awesome (though the subway puzzle in the Selenic age was hair-pullingly frustrating if you didn't know what you were doing).

Scew Myst. Did you hear that shit he said about Shatner? The hell?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here