Trailers: Soul Calibur V Teaser

Soul Calibur V Teaser

The sword of souls returns in Soul Calibur V.

Watch Video

"Eternally retold"

That's what I like about Soul Calibur. They admit it's always the same story!
... and the gameplay barely changed since Soul Calibur 2.
... all they do is mess up with the hit point values.
So that characters who used to be good, become lame from version to version.

all that pretty much was was namco saying "YES WE'RE MAKING SOUL CALIBUR !" with nothing else actually shown

Agreed with the above comment. That really didnt do shit-all but flash like, 4 random characters at us for a minute and a half. ..

F*** You Namco!

ill be happy IF:

1/ no Crossover characters, fuck Jedi.
2/ char customixation like SC4 with more options.
3/ TEAM BATTLE!

SimGrave:
"Eternally retold"

Agreed. At least Namco has the decency to let us know its going to be eternally retold. Final Fantasy on the other hand is a complete lie! Its never Final and they keep making games!

Also, to add. I hope this game will be a bit better then 4. As long as they can keep a decent concept going, I liked how Soul Calibur 3 worked with events that changed what you did in the story arc.

The return of the weapons demo theater, because it is awesome.

And much more costume combinations. Brink promised 102 quadrillion combinations, do more then that!And for god sakes don't slap stats on with them as well. If you want people to have individuality don't have stat stacking. Its what World of Warcraft does, doesn't mean you have to as well. Its a fighting game for gods sake not an MMORPG.

*turns head sideways* well that was... awful. Everything in that teaser felt wrong, from the way sentences were constructed (I'm getting a bad translation vibe from them) to the way video and music keep going in/out with muting and what not. It feels more like a fan video, and a bad one at that, than something done by someone who was actually paid for their work.

Wondermint13:
Agreed with the above comment. That really didnt do shit-all but flash like, 4 random characters at us for a minute and a half. ..

F*** You Namco!

Uh... You do know what "teaser trailer" means, right? Because that's the whole point, and you drove off a cliff in a desperate attempt to miss it... I always wanted to say that. Thank you.

In any case, does someone actually LIKES Soul Calibur for its terrible, Lip-sinching-all-over-the-place dubbing? Because they're making the fifth game now and they're not even trying to learn how to freaking dub your cutscenes right.

SimGrave:
"Eternally retold"

Well that and find new ways to reduce the amount of skin Sophitia and Ivy's costumes cover.
I'm still waiting for them to whore out Talim, the teen-ish wind priestess- though, it's kinda hard to top a blatant cameltoe shot...
(I did like the see-through genie pants in IV, kinda reminded me of Ellis from Battle Arena Toshinden- and now I feel old...)

I wonder what stupid gimmick they'll use to drag people into this one....
Last one was Kratos, before that was Yoda and Vader right?
Predating them was Spawn, link, and Hiyachi(sp)

Whats super popular as of now? W/e it is rest assured it will be forced into this title.

Well that looks pants.
This is what happens when devs have the same hardware to work with for the last 5 years - they just can't do anything more then what has already been done.

No one ever claimed SC to be some fantastic, revolutionary franchise.

It's a niche product, and everyone knows it.

Thing is, I'm probably going to end up buying it. <_<" It's an embarrassing guilty pleasure.

I don't see why there's a going to be a another one. That being said I enjoying playing game even if the story has become completely pants on head retarded. Story wise this game is not going make any sense but I get to attack people with a soul stealing sword.

I don't really have much faith in this one, but I do hope it does well. To me Soul Calibur is in the same standing as Devil May Cry. The third game of both series was a fillet mignon served in a plate of the finest ivory, while the fourth game was the leftovers of that served in an used tuperware with a strategic positioned lettuce to disguise the marks of abuse.

The SC games are, for me, fairly enjoyable in one way or another. Though 4 was kinda disappointing, it seemed more like they just rushed out a Calibur game for the current gen systems instead of making it as fun as previous titles. So hopefully now that they've had time to actually work on a current gen Soul Calibur it'll have the more enjoyable story mode, better customizable characters, and fun offshoot modes (yes, i'm one of the mutants that enjoyed the "RTS" mode from 3). Unless signs point to this one being a colossal trainwreck i'll end up buying it.

I'm not as excited for this as I thought I would be...
Couldn't they show some new characters or gamemodes or gamePLAY? y'know, the stuff we buy these games for? I know it's a teaser but COME ON If the title didn't say SC5 I woulda thought this was an old ad for SC4.

I have never liked the SC series at all. The new Mortal Kombat though........

I'll be wanting to go the "try before you buy" route on this one. Soul Calibur IV was a huge letdown for me.

SC was fantastic in its day. SC2 and SC3 were pretty darn good, in different ways. SCIV was a gigantic disappointment. Let's hope this time around they focus more on the actual GAME part of the game and less on making armor look like glass and making every female character look like a stripper. Except Hilde. If gamers REALLY want none of a character's virtual contours to be left to the imagination, they can make that happen in the create-a-character mode. Official costume designers, you don't have to do it yourselves anymore.

And you don't need guest characters, Soul Calibur. Just be yourself, and people will like you. Unless you suck.

I always thought SC4 was alright, not great, but also not deserving of the vast scorn it garnered. An average game. Yes, it was shameless. Its not like the series had vast amounts of pathos beforehand, its DOA with swords and a slightly straightforward story that tries to sound more epic. Its unbalanced and goofy, but it was fun to mess about with your friends on and the singleplayer is competent yet challenging enough for the completionists and skillmonkeys.

I consider its flaws to be that it was a relic from times past and has been for over 10 years. If they put up another challenging and interesting sprawling one player with lots of variety, if they put in a ton of character customization (both in stats to reward those that want to really munchkin out and in appearence for those just having fun playing dress up...you know who you are.), then yeah, I'll probably buy it. For a low price, a long time after it comes out. And that feels like the niche it holds.

Edit: I hear that it might be Final Fantasy characters that fill the guest spots this time. Considering Square Enix and the recent Final Fantasy outings, its a little hard to tell "who's second hand now" there.
</dorky reference that doesn't quite make sense...though on hindsight, Jehuty and Vic Viper in SC would be stupid but just a little awesome>

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here