Name Game: The Physical Impossibility of Art in the Mind of Someone Gaming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Rivers Wells:
A worthy question.
By the way, was that a Paperboy joke?

i think it's Road Rash.

OT: That was epic. I would love to hit someone with a Picasso and declare my victory.

This was quite a good episode. Very funny joke.
I didn't get until someone talked about Mario kart, but that just made it better!
Though I don't think Jack will be so amused....at least not until she
explains the joke while signing his cast.

Man... the paintings on that wall were SUPER close together. Like... almost absurdly so. And Alix, thank you for not doing that to the Degas.

The ultimate irony? Warhol (the guy who painted the banana) would have probably given this a thumbs up in real life.

Well.. depends on how literal you want to be with 'art as a videogame'.

Susan Arendt:
Anyone else think of the Velvet Underground? No? Just me? Ok, then.

In the words of angry people on a thread beginning "Am I the only one who...", nope you're not the only one. In fact my immediate thought after reading was how much more I'd play Mario Kart if that album was in it.

Oh Andy Warhol...

And yes. I did think of the VU when I saw that banana. I was like: "What's that record doing there-oh wait..."

I approve of her choice of painting to throw. That banana painting will look better with tiremarks. And some of Jack's blood and flesh, too.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Leels:
Name Game: The Physical Impossibility of Art in the Mind of Someone Gaming

Art is controversy (Please don't touch).

Art as a game? Photoshop.

And there goes my appetite. Thanks, I didn't need those calories anyway.

About time. Considering they defended a crucifix upside down in a glass of urine, and Jesus giving oral sex to a man as art, I should hope video games are at least as qualified as that.

Oh god this is the hardest I've laughed yet!

Good job guys XD

Oh god this is the hardest I've laughed yet!

Good job guys XD

EDIT: Damn, double post

If a = b, such that for any a in this dimension there exists a b, then b = a.

The answer is yes.

Can art be video-games?

Short answer yes.

Long answer: Yes, Because Okami exists.

Psh. Shut up, toad.

OT: well done, and I love you for using the Son of Man. Cheers!

The only ones I can get are the fairly obvious.

Degas, half a Pollock, Magritte. I'm such a philistine.

Rockwell and Warhol is kind of cheating.

That one in the center left of the first panel is hella familiar though.

Totally Waluigi. Look at her hand.

And if art can be video games is Dali the inventor of the slow debuff?

Doesn't everyone play mario kart or at least wipeout in their head when they are driving? o.O

Is that Jack on the bike? Seeing as its Alix I doubt he'll be mad but still... she should make him a sandwich, that would cheer him up im sure... he seems like the sort of man who'd enjoy a good steak sandwich... I love cute little romances... im soooooo gay.

Grey Carter:

The one centre right of the first panel is by Alphonse Mucha I think. I LOVE HIS STUFF. So detailed and awesome!

Meh, could've been better, 5/10

PunkRex:

Grey Carter:

The one centre right of the first panel is by Alphonse Mucha I think. I LOVE HIS STUFF. So detailed and awesome!

Thanks for the help. Yeah his work looks great so far. The thick black outlines he uses for body forms make his stuff look quite modern in a way.

Leels:
snip

Felt the need to quote for 2 reasons.

1. extra super-duper enjoyed the comic this week. Laughed really hard at the end.

2. glad to see someone correctly use 'raises the question' instead of 'begs the question'

Was I the only one that found the art of this comic really amazing? It's like they get better with each issue. I don't expect the next one to be in this style, but still it kinda distracted me from the comic itself.

Art can be video games just look at that last panel.

I'm the best

Not funny; didn't laugh.

Don't understand why she said "I'm the best!", either

The real question on everyone's mind is,

Which piece would be a spiky blue shell? "For the love of God" by Hirst would fit the bill.

I've had a fear of red turtles (specifically their shells) since I played Mario Kart 64 as a kid

DTWolfwood:

Madara XIII:

DTWolfwood:
Well there are interactive art pieces out there. And if the piece involves the viewer to change the piece on a videoscreen for fun, does that not constitute art as a 'videogame'?

\o.O/

Actually they can act as video games. Anyone remember Echochrome!? That game proved that the works of M.C.Escher (and the mindfuckery of it all with it's perspective changes) can serve as a damn good game.

great example.

Thanks man, but I'm such a huge abstract art fanatic. I am in love and I mean,

I AM IN LOVE WITH M.C. ESCHER'S ART

Anything that's abstract or horror inducing I will gobble it up. I remember spending time at the Houston museum of modern art for hours on end for a project and just got lost in the abstract section.
Picasso, Van Gogh, Fuseli (Horror painter)
:D They all stimulate my ocular senses.

Shadow Geo:

Rivers Wells:
A worthy question.
By the way, was that a Paperboy joke?

No, it's Mario Kart 64!!! Have you ever played?

i dunno it looks more road rash to me.

I laughed so hard at the ending. Came from nowhere. And then when the commenters explained it was from Mario Kart (never plaid Mario Kart since I never used to have FRIENDS!! *sobs heavily*) I laughed even more. Forgive the cuss but I fucking love the comics on this site so much. XD

Madara XIII:

Anything that's abstract or horror inducing I will gobble it up. I remember spending time at the Houston museum of modern art for hours on end for a project and just got lost in the abstract section.
Picasso, Van Gogh, Fuseli (Horror painter)
:D They all stimulate my ocular senses.

You should check out a Japanese artist by the name of Naoto Hattori (I think)
http://beinart.org/modules/Word-Press/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/naoto-hattori.jpg

Andy Warhol is why video games are art, or art is crap. Warhol is such a overrated hack.

Noooo, not the Warhol!

Still, would love to see some interactive art exhibits that are truely computer games rather then just some silly looping video that plays when you enter the room.

A bit of an obvious joke, but the illustrations were very well done

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or