Outland Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Outland Review

It's evil. It's brilliant. It's hard not to love.

Read Full Article

I love platformers and Ikaruga, so I'm definitely interested, but I haven't picked it up incase Sony offers it as a free download once the PSN comes back. Not to mention I'm out of MS points and I am waiting for a replacement debit card.

It's nice to see an XBLA game for only 800 points. Not that Braid and LIMBO weren't worth every penny, but I'm glad 1200 isn't the new norm.

Sweet. Another awesome indie title to add to my XBLA library. While I never played Ikaruga, the concept seems like one I'd enjoy.

I'm in the same boat as Cursed Frogurt, but the good news is it does look really good. Reminds me of the Indiana Jones game on the SNES a bit, except with more bullets. Yay!

It's a shame this isn't on the PC, it looks like a lot of fun.

Heh. What you describe in the video is exactly what happened to me.

"Ohhh, Steam sale: Lara Croft: GTOL."

"Hey, didn't that one Escapist reviewer say it was really good? Guess I'll give it a shot then."

"Holy crap! This game is fun as hell!"

Thanks for that by the way.

As for Outland, I was willing to buy it after seeing one screenshot. Sadly I lack the necessary consoles. Ah well.

Well the visuals are indeed impressively trippy, I'm not really a platformer but I can appreciate a simple gimmick applied well.

Looks like a nice little game. Quick question: XBLA exclusive, or will it get to PSN when it eventually comes back? It looks like my kind of game.

Agree wholeheartedly. The game is beautiful, the controls tight and responsive enough to make sure any mistake you make is your fault entirely (almost on par with Super Meat Boy in tightness), and the boss fights DO NOT disappoint. So good <3

It's been a long time since I've bothered to watch one of the review supplement videos. You've improved considerably since the last time I watched.

Now that I've seen how this looks in action, I'll definitely get it. Once PSN comes back. Assuming it's one of the choices for a free download. Or until it's on sale.

Mr. Omega:
Looks like a nice little game. Quick question: XBLA exclusive, or will it get to PSN when it eventually comes back? It looks like my kind of game.

According to the review, it's also on PSN.

I WANT A MOTHERFUCKING CREDIT CARD! I'm missing out on so many awesome titles that would so neatly fit my tight budget, it's sadistic!

One thing that I didn't like about this game is that the world doesn't seem organic. Like this could never exist.

The platforms look like platforms and the nonsensical stuff that shoots out the white/black dots don't blend at all.

Take any Mario or the new Donkey Kong Country Returns. The levels look organic or they at least try to make it blend.

I know this is a budget title but w/e, thought it'd be worth a mention. Still a great little game but it looks as abstract as N+ does for me.

kind of reminds me of samurai jack.

Mister Benoit:
One thing that I didn't like about this game is that the world doesn't seem organic. Like this could never exist.

The platforms look like platforms and the nonsensical stuff that shoots out the white/black dots don't blend at all.

Take any Mario or the new Donkey Kong Country Returns. The levels look organic or they at least try to make it blend.

I know this is a budget title but w/e, thought it'd be worth a mention. Still a great little game but it looks as abstract as N+ does for me.

Huh, that's an interesting complaint, and not one I'd ever heard about platformers before. You're certainly accurate in your evaluation, though.

This looks like just what I need right now. Stupid PSN. Stupid hackers. BAH! I'll go back to sulking.

Susan Arendt:

Mister Benoit:

Huh, that's an interesting complaint, and not one I'd ever heard about platformers before. You're certainly accurate in your evaluation, though.

Aside from that not a fan of the "golden path" thing they put in the game which advises players where to go. The world isn't on the scale of Super Metroid of Castlevania: SotN so it's kind of odd that they're trying to make it even more linear.

You might be able to turn that off but I didn't get to check.

I wish their budget would of been a little bigger.

These guys would've made an awesome Tron platformer.

Mister Benoit:

Susan Arendt:

Mister Benoit:

Aside from that not a fan of the "golden path" thing they put in the game which advises players where to go. The world isn't on the scale of Super Metroid of Castlevania: SotN so it's kind of odd that they're trying to make it even more linear.

You might be able to turn that off but I didn't get to check.

I wish their budget would of been a little bigger.

These guys would of made an awesome Tron platformer.

"would have" or alternatively, "would've".

Hadn't considered the Tron inspiration myself, but there's definitely a resemblance, isn't there?

I personally didn't find the "golden path" to be too obtrusive, and found it actually came in handy when I'd been away from the game for a while and didn't quite remember where I was supposed to be headed.

Dammit.

Screw Halo Reach and Modern Warfare 2. I want an X360 just so I can play stuff like this!

Fuck, why do all the good indie and old-school games never get to Steam?

What? Way more people own X360s than PCs? Well... I guess that explains it then.

Scrumpmonkey:
kind of reminds me of samurai jack.

And it reminds me of Patapon.

Still, having played both "Plants vs Zombies" and "Laura Croft: Guardian of Light" and having loved them both I will definatly be giving this game a look.

Great review. I have the demo, will be buying it soon.

Side question, in the video review you mention 'it's hard, but fair'. I think I know what you mean, but does anyone know of a hard game that isn't fair?? I couldn't think of one.

This really really reminds of Samurai Jack, and for that reason alone I'd be getting it. However it does also look awesome.

I'm usually not on the end of people who disagree with a difficulty assessment, as I'm not the most skilled gamer, but I really didn't find Outland to be that difficult. I really only got hit on a few choice overlaping bullet sections, or, I made a clumsy jump, so it was more my fault than anything.

As for the bosses, they were kind of easy. Except for the dragon. The Dragon can go screw.

Well, I'd like to try it, but I don't own an Xbox.

And I rarely game on my PS3, not to mention that PSN is down.

Sober Thal:

Side question, in the video review you mention 'it's hard, but fair'. I think I know what you mean, but does anyone know of a hard game that isn't fair?? I couldn't think of one.

Go back to the nes era of side scrolling beat em ups, just meant to steal quarters.

Also Mario Kart 150cc with rubber band ai.

Most Recently the end boss of Mortal Kombat apparently.

Also game's that are hard because you fight the controls half the time like Saw.

Lastly work of all game's that are only hard because of a required grind.

Guess why I won't play this? It ain't on he PC!

I bought this game and played past the High Priestess part so far. Beautiful game. The colours pop out exactly in a (good) Tron sort of way. The only problem I have is that there's a problem seeing where the platforms are in some places. It's a small gripe, but a gripe nonetheless. I can't imagine them highlighting ledges as in Uncharted or something. This was problem a dev room argument at the studio.

Great review for a great game. Worth every point.

Outland ... wasnt there a movie called that with Sean Connery?

I know what I'll be doing when the PSN comes back up.

Add me to the list of people who wish this was available on PC. :|

If only it was on pc as well.

Dhatz:
Guess why I won't play this? It ain't on he PC!

Wasn't SMB on XBLA first too, and then they ported it to PC? I don't know since I got it on Steam right away. Anyway maybe if Outland's popular enough on xbox and playstation they'll make a PC version as well. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

EDIT: I quoted you but this is pretty much directed at everyone who wants a PC version. Just didn't want to quote them all.

Sober Thal:

Ever played a game that has cheap hits? Getting killed by stuff you can't see, or shitty camera? That's a hard, but unfair, game.

ryo02:
Outland ... wasnt there a movie called that with Sean Connery?

Yup. It's a sci fi remake of High Noon, and it's awesome.

Oh no, a reason to care that PSN is down... Then again, a new game that I'm actually interested in! Argh, I hate mixed emotions!

Mister Benoit:

Very true, though I felt like it wasn't supposed to be organic. To me it felt like a book, or a cave drawing, or a tapestry that was written/drawn/woven for future generations to learn about, not that there's any precedent for that, it just reminds me of old greek pottery figures.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here