Stolen Pixels #258: Where the Boys Are

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Who needs women? Not Brink, apparently.

Read Full Article

Valid point.
To me it also seems silly that there are ten billion character "possibilities" in Brink, yet somehow they all look exactly the same: like neanderthals with cockney accents.
You have skinny neanderthal guy, giant neanderthal guy, and black neanderthal guy. But they all look like they are related or clones or inbred or something.

While it may be an interesting option, it often isn't a realistic one, either.

Splash Damage has said they'll try and do it for their next game - I'm hoping it's also something they can consider for a Brink DLC/expansion. I certainly do understand the resource management side of things but it's still a shame women couldn't be included in this.

Yeah, because every other online FPS has female characters.

Oh wait.

*shrug*

I kind of get why people are annoyed, but I fail to see why they are picking on Brink specifically.

Yeah, that's bad. But it's nice to hear an explanation of why, interesting how I have to hear it from you and not a dev or something...

So the idea of making a game with all FEMALE characters is completely incomprehensible?

You can't blame them, they wanted to make an unforgetable experience by making a fully customizable experience, adding females is more than twice the hard work.
What would have happened if all of the characters were females?
I would have enjoyed that more than a sausage fest like that.

Zhukov:
I kind of get why people are annoyed, but I fail to see why they are picking on Brink specifically.

Because it has such a huge focus on customisation, which other multiplayer online FPS tend not to have.

lesterley:
So the idea of making a game with all FEMALE characters is completely incomprehensible?

From a statistical point of view, you want to try and appeal to your largest market share. With shooters women make up ≤33% of the potential buyers, probably significantly less. From a cultural-bias point of view, the public would, without a doubt, find the lack of male characters much more confusing unless it was specifically explained by the story. This is odd, since in a hopeless-future scenario female who could be engineered to clone themselves would be much more useful than males, but video games (specifically shooters) are obviously dominated by masculine themes, settings, and characters.

...I have no idea why it's this way, but it is. :I

Maybe splash damage is just likes dicking around.

lesterley:

They might have been jiggling with the idea, but I think that's been done

lesterley:

No, just implausible. Women don't usually go shoot eachother for sport.

Valid but still I lol'd at how the other guy was totally oblivious another gender even existed. Classic!

Maybe they're all overly chivalrous and refuse to allow a woman to fight for them.

This is my very favorite gun - uh, I mean, girl. I call it Veera.

Yeah, I guess this is taking the Gears of War model to its logical conclusion. "In the world of Brink, there is only macho, slightly boring war." No room for love on THIS far shore, mates.

Just so you know, they specifically announced that they won't be having female characters and that it was a specific design decision, not just an oversight or anything. They felt female character models wouldn't fit in with the design style they chose for their game.

From a developmental point of view: What Shamus said.

From a point of view pertaining to the Brink storyline: This is humanity's last refuge on Earth. People are fighting for survival. Why would they put the one gender capable of bearing children in front of the barrel of the enemy's gun? Women are needed to ensure the survival of the human race. Men are far more expendable.
I'm not saying this is the reason Splash Damage didn't include women as a character model, just that if you take a litle time to relate to what's going on in the game besides shooting people you can live with it more.

HankMan:

lesterley:

Ah yes. I game that completely objectifies the female body.

So you can only have a game with all-female characters if the main purpose of their existence is to appeal to the male gaze?

Shamus Young:

Read Full Article

Shamus, you also forgot to mention the complete overhaul of skeleton animation work it takes to make them look female. Males and females do not walk the same or move the same since skeletal structure is different, hence a completely new skeletal model needs to be made for a female character. You can't just slap on boobs and booty to a male skeleton frame and expect it to look credible.

Zhukov:

Oh wait.

*shrug*

Customization.

Brink is hopefully the first game in a series (and I do hope it continues), and most likely, they will possibly go, "Oh look, everybody complains about no girls. We should put female options in next game."

lesterley:

HankMan:

lesterley:

So you can only have a game with all female characters if their existence is to appeal to the male gaze?

Hmmm....Werid. Its like the games industry is compleatly focused on trying to appeal mostly to a male consumer group, with no real attempt to please a female consumer group at all, isn't it?
>_>

<_<

>_>

lesterley:

HankMan:

lesterley:

So you can only have a game with all-female characters if the main purpose of their existence is to appeal to the male gaze?

YES!!! Pretty much because a larger portion of the video game community is comprised of males and thats the target demographic and the majority of games are created by male developers. Yes sexism still exists. Call of duty would look pretty silly with females running around shooting gus with double D sized breasts... that only makes sense in fighting games like dead or alive or mortal kombat. Perhap you can create a game that is comprised of females with normal sized chests... and watch you company burn to ashs and fail

It's annoying to not have a female option, especially as a female, but what's even MORE annoying is when they've gone to the work to give you a female option. But just one. And she's a medic. I wanna KILL things, not be healing all the time! If it's a four man team why, if there's a female option at all, is there only one?

As far as the whole "only women can have babies" argument it's as silly now as it was before. We can't do it without a guy. :)

michaelknives52:
-snip
YES!!! Pretty much because a larger portion of the video game community is comprised of males and thats the target demographic and the majority of games are created by male developers. Yes sexism still exists. Call of duty would look pretty silly with females running around shooting gus with double D sized breasts... that only makes sense in fighting games like dead or alive or mortal kombat. Perhap you can create a game that is comprised of females with normal sized chests... and watch you company burn to ashs and fail

Ummm... okay, this might seem weird to someone, but is anybody else actually sick of seeing large breasts on female characters? Cause im literally bored with the image of large breast now...

michaelknives52:

lesterley:

HankMan:

Games Industry: What if, now hear me out, we put the "normal" girls in skimpy outfits?

WanderingFool:

michaelknives52:
-snip

Ummm... okay, this might seem weird to someone, but is anybody else actually sick of seeing large breasts on female characters? Cause im literally bored with the image of large breast now...

Games Industry: How do you feel about butts?

Zhukov:

Oh wait.

*shrug*

Because they made a big deal about character customisation and focused everything solely on males.

Other games like CoD and battlefield didn't make such a big deal about characters.

Shamus Young:

Read Full Article

Maybe thats why everyone is fighting. Cause they don't have any women. That's what gets Duke of his @$$ to go kick someone else's.

Thing is there's beefy mofos,normal mofos and skinny mofos in Brink.How would that work with character models for women?The beefy mofos aren't just Gears of War beefy they are bloody huge walking waldrobes.Putting women in ~ 50-60% would pick them and then not even bother with 1/3 of the body types which are a bit essential to gameplay(they die the hardest and get the brickwall job).Leaving the other 40% a bit forced to play certain types.

They can also be ignored completely so they don't hamper gameplay for your avatar.I'd like it to be incorporated in a dlc but I don't know if it's doable because of before mentioned stuff.

WanderingFool:

I second that feeling and add that if I see the words "realistic jiggle physics": I'm classifying the game as shovelware. Yes a little T&A now and then is awesome, but saturating the medium with it just makes me want to slap game developers upside the head. BTW brilliant strip man I laughed and shook my head.

I kind of call into question the idea that it will take more resources to create female models than men. Yes, in a game where they have both male and female models, they have to do all the work twice... But you don't have to put in more work just because they are female... I could see that if it was some non-human race or something...

As far as why Brink is getting all the hate for this. Well first, it's new. Second, they made a big noise about their character customization, then later on informed everyone that they are not going to have a basic and largely expected option in their game: gender. Third, other FPS games like Call of Duty or Halo are not real big on customizing. Some don't even offer any at all, everyone plays the same character essentially, only color swapped for multiplayer. Team Fortress 2 has no female characters, yet that doesn't get near the hatred Brink is getting over it. Why? Because there is very little customization in TF2. Every Red Heavy looks pretty much the same...

As far as 'it's a game designed for the male player in mind'. Well one, that's blatantly sexist. Some women like shooting people in their virtual faces too. The same as some men don't. Sure the majority of the players of Brink are likely to be on the male side, but not all of them. And secondly, since when do men not like looking at women, even in video games? The last I checked, the majority of the male population liked women...

Certainly it was the developers call to focus on one set of models for greater customization. That's their choice and they stuck with it, so props to them on that. However, given the outcry over the gender issue here, I and probably they should be questioning whether that was the right choice or not. In the end, This won't stop me from picking up Brink. I'm a bit irked by the lack of female options, but that's never stopped me from playing other games before either. The important part is whether or not the game is good.

In my opinion, Brink has made an elemental mistake.
They advertised their vast character customisation and forgot to add in the most basic choice in existence.
You might say other online shooters don't have females either and in most cases you're right. but most other online shooters don't have character customisation either or at least not to a decent degree.
You could go on about the storyline not permitting female fighters but in Brink that's not the case, at least not that I've heard of.
the only reason they gave was that there wasn't enough time. From a purely financial viewpoint, that's totally acceptable. but I still think they should have spent less time on the deeper costomisation and focussed more on the elemental point they've missed.
more options could still be released in DLC whereas solving this 'gender issue' cannot.

I say they've made a mistake. this should not have happened.
Learn from it and do it better next time.

Trillovinum:
In my opinion, Brink has made an elemental mistake.
They advertised their vast character customisation and forgot to add in the most basic choice in existence.
You might say other online shooters don't have females either and in most cases you're right. but most other online shooters don't have character customisation either or at least not to a decent degree.
You could go on about the storyline not permitting female fighters but in Brink that's not the case, at least not that I've heard of.
the only reason they gave was that there wasn't enough time. From a purely financial viewpoint, that's totally acceptable. but I still think they should have spent less time on the deeper costomisation and focussed more on the elemental point they've missed.
more options could still be released in DLC whereas solving this 'gender issue' cannot.

I say they've made a mistake. this should not have happened.
Learn from it and do it better next time.

<_> I thought the Pyro was female, or was that whole thing just a large internet joke?

Alos, from what I hear no girls is the least of Brink's problems.

I don't think it's such a big deal. Unless people WANT to make a big deal out of it.

.. please don't

poiumty:

lesterley:

No, just implausible. Women don't usually go shoot eachother for sport.

Which horrifying dystopia do you live in?

Because men don't usually shoot each other for sport in mine.

(not that it isn't still a horrifying dystopia of course...)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here