Thor: God of Thunder Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Twilight.falls:

Yes, movie tie ins. I suppose I should have been more specific.

You should give 'Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay' a try.

Also, most Disney movie video games are good, but are aimed squarely at children.

Okay guys, you want a good Thor game? Play the movie tie-in game on the Nintendo DS. It's a side-scroller beat-em up and it's really really good. The graphics are bright and colourful with great animations, the controls and responsive with an incredibly satisfying combat system and it's just a lot of fun. The enemy types repeat a lot though but as soon as you get bored with a level it chucks in a great boss battle.

You want a good tie-in game? Get Thor on the DS. Worth it =D

You have my pity for having had to review such a game.

Ive played several movie tie in games that have been at least fun, not very deep mind you but fun. I 1000 pointed Kung Fu Panda because I enjoyed playing it so much. Its nice to have an easy game to chill out to after abit of full on, hardcore gaming. This however seems to be not just shallow but frustrating, which is a shame because it seems to at least partially go in to the Marvel:Thor mythos which I would like to see a little more of.

I don't really consider X-Men: Origins, Wolverine a cash-in, because it was that good. Kudos to Raven for such a great game.

The funny thing is that the game play actually looked fun when it had hammer time playing over the top haha.

Wow, it must be bad, you sound bored out of your mind as you're reading it

my rules for movies games or vice-versa is dont go near them.

Twilight.falls:

Canid117:

Twilight.falls:
I really wish at least one licensed game would be good. Not just fine, but good.

Oh did you mean a movie tie in game?

Yes, movie tie ins. I suppose I should have been more specific.

Of course, that came out a couple years after the movie...

Swifteye:

Fursnake:
Sega is to video games what Uwe Bol is to movies...

Sega has made good games......I wouldn't use a movie tie in game as an example of any companies skill in video game making.

I am not saying all of Sega's games are bad. Actually I am referring to Sega and their movie-game tie-ins and Uwe Bol and his movies based on video games. Sega makes crap movie-game tie-ins just like Uwe Bol makes crap movies based on video games.

Not every comic book needs to be a video game. Not every movie should be a video game. Things get hackneyed after a while.

"Ares and the Wanderer"? You mean Kratos and the Wanderer, right? In God of War you play as Kratos not Ares.

I remember having a lot of fun with the first three Harry Potter games when I was younger, OK, I had lower standards but still.

But yeah this game just looks horribly boring.

Wuggy:

Fr]anc[is:

Wuggy:
A movie license game is bad. Is anyone surprised by this? My question is, who keeps buying these games? I mean, obviously they're profitable enough because they keep producing them.

Well, considering they only cost $20 to make and they release them for every single platform known to man, they probably don't have to sell very many to make a profit

Yeah I guess that makes sense. It's like what The Asylum does, if you don't know what that is, look it up. They make mock-ups of popular movie titles with low budget to make people accidentally buy their movie instead. Their mock up of Transformers 2 was actually better than the original though.

anychance you could provide a link or PM to them im intristed lol

Captcha:designed ridepho
So now Captcha designed somthing

Fursnake:

Swifteye:

Fursnake:
Sega is to video games what Uwe Bol is to movies...

Sega has made good games......I wouldn't use a movie tie in game as an example of any companies skill in video game making.

I am not saying all of Sega's games are bad. Actually I am referring to Sega and their movie-game tie-ins and Uwe Bol and his movies based on video games. Sega makes crap movie-game tie-ins just like Uwe Bol makes crap movies based on video games.

How many movie tie in games has sega made in comparison to other companies? I always sort of assumed random 3rd party companies make movie tie in games not a specific one every time.

Wow that was painful just to watch, I can't imagine how bad it would be to play.

Canid117:

I didn't say it was a movie tie in. That is why that post says "OH did you mean a movie tie in?" at the end.

Oh,my bad. I thought you meant that it was a movie tie-in. As you were.

yellowhead:
Okay guys, you want a good Thor game? Play the movie tie-in game on the Nintendo DS. It's a side-scroller beat-em up and it's really really good. The graphics are bright and colourful with great animations, the controls and responsive with an incredibly satisfying combat system and it's just a lot of fun. The enemy types repeat a lot though but as soon as you get bored with a level it chucks in a great boss battle.

Totally agree with you man, the DS version of this game was really good. The 2d sidescrolling works well with it and I was pleasently surprised by it after how bad the other versions were. Although I guess sort of makes sense that it was good since it was developed by WayForward Technologies, who created the Shantae series and Contra 4 which are both really good.

If anyone wants to see what it's like, here is a video of it. It's kind of short but you'll get the jist of what the gameplay is like in it.

Edit: I changed the video because the previous video was taken down just about two days after I made this post. Again kind of a short video but I couldn't find a better one on Youtube to be honest.

what is the point in reviewing a game which is clearly not going to get a good score. i can only imagine the decision was made because time was limited or it was just easier to review a game where you only need to list criticsm which could go for most movie tie ins.

Polarix:

yellowhead:

Totally agree with you man, the DS version of this game was really good. The 2d sidescrolling works well with it and I was pleasently surprised by it after how bad the other versions were. Although I guess sort of makes sense that it was good since it was developed by WayForward Technologies, who created the Shantae series and Contra 4 which are both really good.

If anyone wants to see what it's like, here is a video of it. It's kind of short but you'll get the jist of what the gameplay is like in it.

Actually that's not a very good trailer =S It shows off the boss battles nicely but it makes the combat look sluggish and dull and that's really not the case.

Isn't it about time some smart developer make an engine especially designed for movies tie-in?

Most summer flicks follow very similar patterns. You could very well make an engine that is just flexible enough to make a great (albeit slightly repetitive) game in a very short development cycle. Just make the engine capable of handling different types of enemies and events, support all the trappings of the genre,then mash them in "drag and drop building block" development style. Heck, a dev could even throw in a few curveballs every game--I mean, if Bliz's World Editor and Source/Unreal engine can be flexible enough to handle all the mods, I'm sure an engine design around flexibility will handle movie tie-ins fine. Or at least it will be better than what they have nowadays.

PopcornAvenger:
I don't really consider X-Men: Origins, Wolverine a cash-in, because it was that good. Kudos to Raven for such a great game.

It's kinda funny that the game is what the movie should have been.

Surprise surprise.

Thats new, a movie tie-in game sucking..

oh I forgot: "God of thunder da da daaaam, and Rock'n Rououl, baaaam da da da da data" :)

Why would you guys review this game?

We all knew it was going to be terrible, could you please review Brink instead?

OT: I just assume all tie-ins are bad. This is no exception.

Oh well, better luck next movie game.

lessee good movie tie ins

goldeneye
super star wars for snes
lion king for snes
aliens vs predator 1999 (that wasnt a strict movie tie in but used the style of the individual movies to great effect)

and dammit I LIKED ET for atari....

A video game tie-in that's crap, whooda thunk it?

The Wolverine game based on the movie is pretty much the only example I can think of where not only is the game good, but that it was better than the movie.

Nautical Honors Society:

You can hear the reasoning in the podcast this week, but the short answer is that Steve wanted to wait and play Brink with the community and Thor was a good game to cut my teeth on. Also, some people may or may not have been getting me back for previous comments on not having to review/only playing games that I enjoy.

Slycne:

Nautical Honors Society:

You can hear the reasoning in the podcast this week, but the short answer is that Steve wanted to wait and play Brink with the community and Thor was a good game to cut my teeth on. Also, some people may or may not have been getting me back for previous comments on not having to review/only playing games that I enjoy.

That makes sense thanks for clearing it up for me.

I would have considered buying that game if all fights were somehow choreographed to "Hammer Time", that looked hella fun.

plexxiss:
what is the point in reviewing a game which is clearly not going to get a good score. i can only imagine the decision was made because time was limited or it was just easier to review a game where you only need to list criticsm which could go for most movie tie ins.

Seriously?

The point of reviews is to inform surely; I want to be informed about the bad as well as the good so I can target my gaming $$$ effectively.

-|-:

plexxiss:

Seriously?

The point of reviews is to inform surely; I want to be informed about the bad as well as the good so I can target my gaming $$$ effectively.

They dont review all games and are you trying to tell me you were undeccided on wether you should buy. all im saying is that there really was no point in reviewing this since no member of this site is going to consider buying it.

plexxiss:

-|-:

plexxiss:

Seriously?

They dont review all games and are you trying to tell me you were undeccided on wether you should buy. all im saying is that there really was no point in reviewing this since no member of this site is going to consider buying it.

Actually, I can see your point. For this game you are quite right - nobody here is going anywhere near this game.

I will say though, that whilst the review has no value for us, it might have for the person who thinks it sounds cool, googles for a review and finds this (they may even then join the community - a win for the site). Also this game appears to be so bad that it didn't even meet the already low expectations of it - there is value in pointing that out too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here