Escapist Podcast: Escapist Podcast 003

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Escapist Podcast 003

This week we're talking about review scores and "The Brink Flap," why superhero games suck and your comments and questions.

Watch Video

Is it just me or is the video having a hard time deciding how long it is?

Oh yay, a new podca-

never mind, Heard it on Friday =(

Damn my memory!

I tend to play most games until I finish them, unless I don't actually have the time, or the game is just crap. For example, I've only played about 40% of Shadow Harvest Phantom Ops before deciding it is mostly crap. But some games I had to play to the very end to realize just how crappy they actually were.

If time is an issue, I do my best to understand the game as best as possible.

Some companies seem to realize this, by making their games last less then it takes to make the show it's being into. I generally don't like those games. I like long games, deep games, but it's hard to review them when I've got to make two a week, written and video.

But if you've got one review a week, and no other shows to shoot/host/edit/write/record, then you'd better finish them, because you're just lazy.

Ok, I didn't listen to the entire podcast. Listened to about 20 minutes of it. I preferred the previous podcasts because they were more fluid and less jammed down my throat. It almost seemed as if the entire banter was scripted, felt very unnatural and not entertaining. Please remove this crew and bring back the talent when it comes to VO work.

Now here's a question. Is it fair that I based my opinion of your podcast on only 1/3 of the content?

I like big boobs, but I'll take flat-chested over fake any day ... and those, those are just disgusting looking. Like seriously, I'd be worried I'd chip a tooth or something on those things.

oooh nice long running time
gonna listen to this while gaming

I enjoy these podcasts immensely, the longer the better. But im biased, so I would like to hear more of Yacee and Mike :D

I think Susan sounds like Ellen McLain (y'know, GLaDOS?). I've been known to make some weird connections like that before though...

Jou:
Ok, I didn't listen to the entire podcast. Listened to about 20 minutes of it. I preferred the previous podcasts because they were more fluid and less jammed down my throat. It almost seemed as if the entire banter was scripted, felt very unnatural and not entertaining. Please remove this crew and bring back the talent when it comes to VO work.

Now here's a question. Is it fair that I based my opinion of your podcast on only 1/3 of the content?

Sure. If you listened to 20 minutes and didn't enjoy it in any respect, it's unlikely you'd enjoy any more of it. It is, after all, the same people all the way through. Of course, your analogy is slightly off, because you can skip ahead in a podcast if the current topic isn't appealing to you, to see if others are more intriguing, but if you hated the first 20 minutes, you probably won't enjoy the rest.

just a quick thought on the ps3 download issue (i had the same problem for a long time) turning off the fileshare option (to grab content from your own network) fixes this issue and downloads are extremely fast. i can buffer and watch a movie all the way once the "download in background while watching" pops up. i agree this needs to be fixed though. my friends 360 has not ever had this issue. Tho i am still on my same ps3 and he is on his 4th 360 so i still say i am better off hahaha

Is there a way to download the podcast so that I can listen to them on my iPod?

Yay, you read my question! Hurray.

Technical note, the music being played is much louder than when you guys are talking. So while you are talking, I'm turning my speakers up to hear what you all are saying, then the music kicks in and is blaring.

Other than that, I really enjoy the show!

Oh, also I don't like the idea of half kittens.

I love this new podcast thing you got going!
Its thought provoking without being a bore to hear, and it makes me laugh!
Also please no half kittens.... : ( Please.
I reject my reality and replace it with yours. : )

I've listened to all of these so far. Very amusing.
It was funny hearing "I reject your reality and substitute my own", since I've heard it before.

Question... why is the podcast an hour long?

mean, I liked it, largely the first 15 minutes you were talking about reviews and such, but I just dont have the time to listen for the full hour. I dont know how much content you have in that hour, maybe it needs to be a full hour. Once you started talking about the Thor game, I decided to stop listening, despite there might being other more interesting topics later.

Also, as to why I just dont skip ahead, I cant skip ahead when watching escapist videos, for some reason the vids get angry and wont play. Probably a problem on my end.

But I do agree with the part about reviewing multiplayer componentes and games. MP focused games seem to have a serious catch-22: To properly review the game, you need a actual online community, as thats what the game experience will be, but people probably wont buy the game till they know its worth their time, so there wont be a decent online community until there is a review out.

hell yeah boogerman was fantastic

I give this podcast three and a half kittens on the kitten review scoring system.

Slycne:
I give this podcast three and a half kittens on the kitten review scoring system.

You monster!

Good stuff guys.

I have a question though, obviously you guys have lots of stuff to do, so when do you take time out to do the podcasts? Do you use up time you would have otherwise had free?

Bring back Yahtzee! :(

Daystar Clarion:
Good stuff guys.

I have a question though, obviously you guys have lots of stuff to do, so when do you take time out to do the podcasts? Do you use up time you would have otherwise had free?

We get an hour less sleep each week now.

Susan Arendt:

Daystar Clarion:
Good stuff guys.

You mean one hour less of Minecraft time?

That's terrible D:

I think "Enter the Matrix", while far from a perfect game, is an amazing example of how to do movie tie-in games right.

It had two full-length campaigns that existed in the same world as the movie, following characters that only had minor roles in the movie. So sometimes you'd see the movie-protagonists in-game or in cutscenes, but they were able to provide a whole bunch of plot and character exposition that's only hinted at from the movie's main plot. It allows the game to expand the universe and give it more depth, without requiring that depth to cause the movie to be unfocused.

I think the main constructive criticism I can give of this podcast as opposed to the "yahtzee/dude from anthony saves the world" one; is that most of the time you guys just agree on everything, which makes for a much less interesting listen than when you have two opposing view points. IE: Developer and a critic.

Listening to you all agree with each other might be OK ish, but it never really gives much of a chance for much extra thought on any subject.

Broken. Just shows up as a white space.
EDIT: My apologies, my computer just voided its bowels.

Where'd Yahtzee go?

Still good though

You have no idea how hard it is for me not to email pictures from my dissection lab (yeah its a cat)

Really enjoying these!

cynicalsaint1:
I like big boobs, but I'll take flat-chested over fake any day ... and those, those are just disgusting looking. Like seriously, I'd be worried I'd chip a tooth or something on those things.

What? I don't understand

OT: New MoS sounds pretty neat

Like the new theme! Also, half kittehs aren't a good idea and my XBox dispensing ice cream should be the new update when Microsoft can manage that!

Susan Arendt:

Solution - change the line-up every now and again like Extra Consideration? Would be nice having that kind of diversity in Podcasts, IMO. Plus, as Daystar mentioned, you can have your hour of Minecraft back with a changing line-up scenario; though, I think Russ should always be in the line-up. Something about doing Podcasts with the "boss" seems to be a good idea in my mind's eye.

A question before I hit the post button: can the gaming industry get back to that "90's era success"? As in, the quality of games? Killer Instinct, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 6 and 7 - the kind of games that not only had good aesthetics but good fidelity, as well? I've played games for over 20 years, and I've noticed that there's an aboslute decline in overall quality in games across the board. I mainly play RPGs but I do play other genres on occasion. Example - I've played RPGs and FPS's to death and to date the ones I keep going back to are Timesplitters, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Wild ARMs (to name a few). The games that were made then are, arguably, better than the ones being produced now - what reason(s) does the industry have for not going back to that kind of standard?

Raynovac:
Is there a way to download the podcast so that I can listen to them on my iPod?

Bump.

Also, I'm planning on listening to these as these are interesting topics but I can't be at my computer... If anyone could direct me to a downloadable version of the podcast that would be great. Thanks!

Steve Butts:

Slycne:

You monster!

Half kitten?

SCP-529 is a small house cat (Felis catus) with grey tabby markings.

Parts of the animal to the rear of the end of the ribcage appear to be missing. The body terminates sharply as if sliced in two.

In spite of this, the animal has no health problems, and moves about as if its hindquarters were still in place. For example, walking takes place as usual, and some time after feeding the animal makes motions as if to void itself of waste matter.

The cross-section does not display the interior of the animal, but appears pure black to the eye, and absorbs all non-visible wavelengths of light. It is slightly yielding to the touch. Gentle stroking of this area sometimes yields a positive reaction (purring and so on) but more usually leads to the creature turning on the agent, claws at the ready. Those scratched have experienced no abnormalities.

It is not the case the hind regions are simply invisible - a cursory examination will show that there are no hindquarters. DNA testing has shown the animal to be female.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
A question before I hit the post button: can the gaming industry get back to that "90's era success"? As in, the quality of games? Killer Instinct, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 6 and 7 - the kind of games that not only had good aesthetics but good fidelity, as well? I've played games for over 20 years, and I've noticed that there's an aboslute decline in overall quality in games across the board. I mainly play RPGs but I do play other genres on occasion. Example - I've played RPGs and FPS's to death and to date the ones I keep going back to are Timesplitters, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Wild ARMs (to name a few). The games that were made then are, arguably, better than the ones being produced now - what reason(s) does the industry have for not going back to that kind of standard?

While there is no denying there are some classic games, I think we as gamers do have a tendency to over-inflate earlier generations. The 80s and 90s were not free of terrible games either, we've simply forgotten most of them.

1997 saw the release of Diablo, Mario Cart 64, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Star Wars: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Goldeneye 007, Final Fantasy 7, Fallout and Ultima Online. It also saw releases for Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi, Redneck Rampage, Spawn: The Eternal and The Crow: City of Angels.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here