Escapist Podcast: Escapist Podcast 003

Pages PREV 1 2

Slycne:

CrazyCapnMorgan:
A question before I hit the post button: can the gaming industry get back to that "90's era success"? As in, the quality of games? Killer Instinct, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 6 and 7 - the kind of games that not only had good aesthetics but good fidelity, as well? I've played games for over 20 years, and I've noticed that there's an aboslute decline in overall quality in games across the board. I mainly play RPGs but I do play other genres on occasion. Example - I've played RPGs and FPS's to death and to date the ones I keep going back to are Timesplitters, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Wild ARMs (to name a few). The games that were made then are, arguably, better than the ones being produced now - what reason(s) does the industry have for not going back to that kind of standard?

While there is no denying there are some classic games, I think we as gamers do have a tendency to over-inflate earlier generations. The 80s and 90s were not free of terrible games either, we've simply forgotten most of them.

1997 saw the release of Diablo, Mario Cart 64, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Star Wars: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, Goldeneye 007, Final Fantasy 7, Fallout and Ultima Online. It also saw releases for Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi, Redneck Rampage, Spawn: The Eternal and The Crow: City of Angels.

Too true is your statement of forgetting what was crap back then and I wish there was more mention of it to compare to today's crap games. Perhaps someone (looks at Extra Credits) could research it and point out what went wrong then and what is still going wrong now. I am aware of the terrible games that were made in that time, as I am the owner of Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi, but let's look at the games brought forth in our combined posts. In the industry today, it is my view that the quality that went into the good games back then is not the same quality that goes into the good games that are made now. Sure, some are running on a franchise of games birthed in the 90s (as Diablo and Duke Nukem prove this) but the games that stood out back then were ones that delved into relatively uncharted territories in games. The terrible games that were produced then are almost startlingly similar, production-wise at least, to the terrible games that are made now. There are some differences in this regard, as technology has improved, but it is still roughly the same kind of garbage, so to speak. It doesn't seem like the innovation, the creativity and the drive is there in the gaming industry anymore. As a console player I hate to admit this, but it seems the only ones in the gaming industry that has this level of innovation anymore is ValvE and even they. IMO, don't compare to what was done back then. Has the industry become so cost-driven and so focused on profit that it has gotten to the point that creativity and the like are cast to the wayside? Because being a consumer for 20+ years, I can almost safely say the ratio of good/creative to bad/garbage games has shifted from the good to the bad from in that timeframe.

Btw, where does that line "I reject your reality and substitute my own" come from?

bdcjacko:
Btw, where does that line "I reject your reality and substitute my own" come from?

Adam off Mythbusters. Alternatively, you could have just googled it. *A note, he didn't technically create it, but he's why it's popular.

The more I hear about Brink, the more I'd like to play Enemy Territory again.

Uh, guys for all you 'brng bak Yazee!' types, he's done another podcast, just not for the Escapist. There was a link to it on his Twitter.

And I think the guys they've got doing this series of podcasts have a great back-and-forth, and it's nice to hear some discussion from non Yahtzee, Moviebob and Extra Credits guys (much as I love them) that's not Jim Sterling.

I actually am really disappointed with Brink I've racked up about 5 hours on my friends copy (Because I'm too cheap to buy my own copy)and I'm really not impressed. With a game that is as multiplayer oriented as Brink, you shouldn't really have to play it for that long. For example I remember playing my first game of COD in COD4 and becoming hooked within the first 15 minutes. Whereas MW2 and Black-Ops bored me to tears. Anyway multiplayer experience I'm looking forward to is Duke Nukem forever despite how insanely juvenile and immature it is. It just looks like stupid mindless fun, which is (Personally) what is needed after so many grey-Pallet shooters like Black-Ops, Bulletstorm, Battlefield BC2 and Killzone 3. That is all.

Eri:

bdcjacko:

Adam off Mythbusters. Alternatively, you could have just googled it. *A note, he didn't technically create it, but he's why it's popular.

Nope, it is from some crappy d&d wannabe be movie

Fun podcast, the longer the better frankly as I use them to as backgrounds to whatever I'm doing. You guys are great to listen to while I sit around camping a choke point in World Of Tanks. Also the music by Ian Dorsch is sweet for when things heat up.

Could we find an extended version of that song or a clearer sample of that riff anywhere? Because it's awesome.

Edit*
Just remembered that the music at the end goes for 1:20 approximately which is plenty. Nonetheless if the song could be somehow disseminated it would be a great boon to all mankind.

Imagine playing the first part of brutal legend, and missing the RTS part XD

And also, the xbox live gamer tags are freely accessable aren't they? Or, was it that he made them aware that a certain gamertag belonged to this certain journalist?

Also, if he hasn't 'played the game properly' then that says more about the quality of the game than the journalist doesn't it? The game is supposed to show us how to get the most out of it, and if it fails at this then its negative points against the game. :/

EDIT: No! I'm Tron!

dfcrackhead:

cynicalsaint1:
I like big boobs, but I'll take flat-chested over fake any day ... and those, those are just disgusting looking. Like seriously, I'd be worried I'd chip a tooth or something on those things.

What? I don't understand

OT: New MoS sounds pretty neat

Heh.

I had multiple topics open in multiple tabs and accidentally replied to the wrong one. Didn't even realize I did this I noticed the "Quoted" message in my inbox - rather embarrassing; I promise it'd make sense in the right topic ^^;

Thus are the dangers of tabbed browsing!

I XNA isn't really a GDK like UDK. It isn't even an engine; it's just middleware that helps along the way and yes, unless you are fluent with .NET and general software engineering concepts, you will have a hard time with it.

Ha, 3 editions and this is my favorite english speaking podcast already. Funny and smart people. Way to go guys!
I give it 5 whole kittens!

bdcjacko:

Eri:

bdcjacko:

Nope, it is from some crappy d&d WANs be movie

If by nope you mean yes. I guess you didn't bother reading what I said.

bdcjacko:

Eri:

bdcjacko:

Well *I* was quoting Adam from Mythbusters. Because I heart that show very muchly. :)

I found the podcast very interesting, and I mean no offense to anybody who did the past 3 or 4 podcast, but I felt they were better with Yahtzee and Mikey. Just my 2 cents.

Agh! The trailing off/mumbling! The volume differences in general are irritating, but mumblemumble hmmnmnml.

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

Eri:

Well *I* was quoting Adam from Mythbusters. Because I heart that show very muchly. :)

I figured. I was just hoping someone knew the name of the movie he was quoting. That and I am just psyked my dumb question was read and answered.

at 55:56 when they were talking about the tie fighter thing i almost shouted out irl 'omg, its because...' before realizing that this is why i dispised my middle, and first year of, high school

1:04 c-c-c-combo breaker?

anyway I do the same as justin, when I'm minecrafting I'm listening to these podcasts or LRR's or watching netflix, and if I'm not doing something on top of playing minecraft or civ 5 i feel bored, even if its just having old craig ferguson shows playing and I'm only half listening.

I love this podcast and the panel is really fun to listen to, but I'd ask for a couple of things.

1.) Make the podcast not as long (45 minutes should be enough I think).
2.) Allow people to download an MP3 file of it.

The reason while I like it, I'd worry about people having the time to listen to this all the way through. After all, we listeners have the real world waiting for us (and games to play!)

I'd love to listen (Yahtzee or not) but no download? No audio only version? I won't be listening to this.

I have to say - I absolutely love how all four of you present this podcast. I love the topics, they are interesting and how you delve into each topic is very engaging. But what keeps me listening is how all four of you interact with one another. It's like your unwinding via the podcast and it's very charming.

I love the camaraderie attitude and I look forward to each podcast. Thank you =]

I like the kitty review thing :)

But yeah actually about the reviewing thing, I do think you don't necessarily have to play a game through, cause when you start the game and play it and it is just no fun at all for you, than well I mean how many normal gamers would finish it? I know I had like a few games I just stopped playing at a point cause they got just very frustrating and I had no fun at all. Also I mean hardly ever do they really improve that much. Also I'd say I mean thats also something you can take from that criticism that you probably have to make the game less frustrating at the beginning next time.

Highly agree with the thing about reviewing that reviewers probably partly like different things to you and so sometimes it's the question if what annoys them would be annoying for you, so now if they tell you what annoyed them, than you can figure out if its a problem for you, if they just say it's crap than of cause you can't. That's also why these point systems hardly ever tell you anything.

"Way to show 'em the hotdogs."

I took that to mean as what goes into the mix. Like sausage; just make it, and I'll cook and eat it. Do I want to know what was used to make it? No, no sane person does.

Good work party people.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or