Unskippable: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

We don't know where this world is, or why we should care, but apparently it's dawn.

Watch Video

Heh. Truth be told, I love this game, and the scenes aren't that bad (once you learn to ignore that courage turns dreams to reality), but that was still pretty funny.

"Come visit beautiful Palmacosta, City of Fire!"

It all makes slightly more sense when you know this is the opening cinematic of a sequel game.

With a name like Ratatosk, I was expecting a pokemon joke.

Other than that, well, I'm confused.

That Lloyd is more dangerous than his name might make him seem...

Still, I'd play this game just to know what happened after the First Tales of Symphonia, wich was pure gold at the time.. still is too.

Liked the original. Not that great, but it was good. Hated the sequel (This game). Glad to see it get the US treatment. Also, my sister was also a practicing member of the Church of Mattel.

Ha, I'm actually making my way through this game at the moment, the story is pretty ridiculous but it's all really fun in a campy, JRPG sorta way.

I, too, practiced the Church of Mattel. Had a big Hot Wheels collection.

Not sure I am a big fan of this getting bumped an hour in favor of Jimquisition. This is starting to feel like network tv.

Wait wait wait, wasn't Loyd the protagonist from the first game? How'd he go from nice, but clueless guy, who wanted to save everyone, to psychopath who's out to kill everyone???

Was that Master Miller narrating this game? I was waiting for him to tell me to trust my instincts as a gamer.

Laura Bailey! AGAIN! It's not a bad thing but i've been hearing her voice everywhere!

I had difficulty telling some of the joke lines from the actual dialogue! Good jaerb guys!

vxicepickxv:
With a name like Ratatosk, I was expecting a pokemon joke.

So was I. She was clutching a round object...IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO EASY!

Wow, at 4:30. My name is Emil... and I'm male... X D

I doubt that this games makes sense at all - people just convince themself that it deoes after few hours of gameplay... like in most jRPGs XD
Well, I had to much magic last night and there's too many questions XD

"...and every single one of them is about androgynous teenagers killing Satan." - Yatzee
This is no exception. Heck, even Satan: Symphonia Version is in cahoots with an androgynous teenager.

canadamus_prime:
Wait wait wait, wasn't Loyd the protagonist from the first game? How'd he go from nice, but clueless guy, who wanted to save everyone, to psychopath who's out to kill everyone???

Gah my thoughts exactly! I played the first one but not this one, MY MIND IS CONFUSED D:

I don't know how you guys manage it but you seem to maintain the laughs and perhaps even get funnier with each passing episode "Hello, I'm dead inside". JRPG's are such suckers for you guys.

Some people just can't handle their magic.
She is lucky she only passed out, and got a shiny head.
Some people get really messed up on that stuff. (See Dragon Age)

Heh, never before has so much exposition failed so hard to give any clue what's going on with the opening cutscene...

Did the depiction of non-squirrel Ratatosk raise as much ire as black Heimdall?

Incidentally, how is it that "liberation fronts" are always the good guys in fiction? Oppressive communist republics liked to call themselves "democratic"...

EDIT:

YodaUnleashed:
JRPG's are such suckers for you guys.

They tend to have overlong, slow-paced intros which dump the entire lore of the gameworld on the player, but fail to explain what they are actually showing. Strange names abound.

Or they tend to have fast-paced, action-packed intros with absolutely no indication given to who the characters are or what they are doing. This usually happens in sequels to old franchises, well-known in Japan, but totally unfamiliar to Western players, so a few forumites can shun others in disgust, saying that if they never played that one timeless classic on NES which explains everything, they aren't worthy.

Either way, they're premium Unskippable fuel.

For a second I thought it said the church of Montel.

Furioso:

canadamus_prime:

Gah my thoughts exactly! I played the first one but not this one, MY MIND IS CONFUSED D:

JRPG's do love their dopplegangers. At least, that's what I'm ASSUMING is the reason why Lloyd is out on a killing spree...

Ah, I just took my last final exam (EVER!), and got home to enjoy this. Thanks guys, made my day!
Stupid question though: do you guys ever play any of the games you parody here? I mean beyond the occasional tutorial to get to even funnier cutscenes?

Aw, you left out the funniest parts.

Namely the video that plays before the title screen (of Emil being a ferocious badass) and the stuff that happens immediately after this, (of Emil being a ferociously whiny bitch of a wimp that nobody likes.)

Xman490:
"...and every single one of them is about androgynous teenagers killing Satan." - Yatzee
This is no exception. Heck, even Satan: Symphonia Version is in cahoots with an androgynous teenager.

To be fair, in the original Tales of Symphonia, you didn't fight Satan. You had to kill an ancient angel war hero that was literally a god with some serious "i wanna fuck my sister"-issues.
Totally different.

Xman490:

Which is funny because here in the real world our androgynous teenagers are pretending to be in league with Satan.

Did anyone else think that the cut-scene started at a point which sounded like it should have been somewhere in the middle. Usually before you tell me your version of the world tree is dead, you try to tell me how things were better before it died...

The fuck did I just watch?!

Seriously, I have no clue at all what that game is supposed to be about.

This is still my favorite series on this website... nothing makes me laugh out loud quite as hard. I am in desperate need of a good JRP (oximoron har! har!) to play. Although I should just go back and beat the ones I haven't yet. Like all the Grandia's, Star Oceans and FFV and FFVI.

"Hello. I'm dead inside" :D Priceless!

And that's also the only part of the cutscene I understood. Good one, guys.

NeutralDrow:
Heh. Truth be told, I love this game, and the scenes aren't that bad (once you learn to ignore that courage turns dreams to reality), but that was still pretty funny.

"Come visit beautiful Palmacosta, City of Fire!"

It all makes slightly more sense when you know this is the opening cinematic of a sequel game.

I agree, Despite all the hate this game has been getting I thought it was quite good. Probably on my top 10 or even top 5 on the list of Wii games. Great to see this made fun of though. I love seeing games that I actually care about here.

canadamus_prime:

You are correct, and the things he's doing will make sense at some point of the game. You will run into him quite a few times, but you wont know his secret and important quest until the end.

Yggdraz0r:
Still, I'd play this game just to know what happened after the First Tales of Symphonia, wich was pure gold at the time.. still is too.

If you got a Wii an an open mind to this, I would recommend you to play it. There are a lot of changes to how it plays, and how things work. There are less side quests, I think it is shorter and there's no Kratos. However, if you keep in mind that this is a spin-off and don't compare it too much to the original it's actually a pretty good game.

Tales of Symphonia was a damn good game. But this? This game is seriously a huge stain on the story of the original. It's a bad game and the entire thing was just unneeded for every reason you can think of.

The cutscenes are pretty bad, but the gameplay and music are top notch.

I get the feeling some future LRR sketch will utilize ToS.NW in a URL. I will keep my eyes open for that...

Plus I liked the CREEEEEEAAAAK as Emil's head turned. ^_^

To think the first game was actually much better in terms of cinematics and voice acting. GOD I love Kratos' voice.

Laughed a lot at the door creaking joke, and the mattel one. And the magic 8 ball one.
Though not in that order, unsuprisingly.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here